Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dan James 21:31 - Oct 27 with 7347 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

The potential is frightening

Great game again today

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Dan James on 11:23 - Oct 28 with 2548 viewsItchySphincter

Dan James on 11:19 - Oct 28 by jackrmee

Why do you think think Jeff is more of an impact sub than Dan or vice versa?
Very similar players in my eyes and Jeff has the most experience, so if GP can keep him fit I don't think he should just be classed as an impact sub. He is quite capably to do the job Dan J is doing right now.
GP has in fact said that he thinks there are ways to manage his fitness which haven't been done before, and that's not simply by using him for the final quarter of games as a sub.

And before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I'm not saying to drop Dan J. I'm just suggesting that they can both do a job there and will both need to do the impact sub role on probably a similar amount of occasions.

I'm a big fan of James and Montero and what they bring to the team. Very similar players no doubt about. It's mildly amusing and irritating at the same time to hear the two idiots that sit next to me slagging Jeff off whenever he gets on the pitch suddenly gushing over James.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Dan James on 11:52 - Oct 28 with 2511 viewsjack247

Very similar players in my eyes and Jeff has the most experience, so if GP can keep him fit I don't think he should just be classed as an impact sub. He is quite capably to do the job Dan J is doing right now.
GP has in fact said that he thinks there are ways to manage his fitness which haven't been done before, and that's not simply by using him for the final quarter of games as a sub.

And before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I'm not saying to drop Dan J. I'm just suggesting that they can both do a job there and will both need to do the impact sub role on probably a similar amount of occasions.

Because his game involves no defensive/positional sense and is based on high energy bursts of acceleration and direction change. He couldn’t keep that up for 90 minutes and if he did, Roberts or Naughton would be run ragged. He can be unplayable for half an hour, but once he tires (which is going to happen quicker with all the sprinting he does), he’s a passenger.

I get that they have similarities and Dans run for Connors goal Tuesday was just like watching Jeff, but they aren’t the same type of player at all. Jeff is almost unique in the way he plays. Dan isn’t quite as explosive and doesn’t have that magical ability to change direction and burst away from a standing start. He is already a more cerebral player, you wouldn’t see Jeff making the kind of runs he does for Celina to slip him through. Jeff rarely comes off his wing without the ball, Dan does it all the time, which is why he seems to get so many chances.
Dan James on 11:55 - Oct 28 with 2507 viewsjasper_T

What happened right after Potter said they were working with Jeff to build up his fitness beyond being impact sub? He got injured again. His body can't handle it, and a couple of meaty challenges and his head goes down.

20-30 minutes against tired defences is his reasonable limit.
Dan James on 11:57 - Oct 28 with 2501 viewsjackrmee

Dan James on 11:55 - Oct 28 by jasper_T

What happened right after Potter said they were working with Jeff to build up his fitness beyond being impact sub? He got injured again. His body can't handle it, and a couple of meaty challenges and his head goes down.

20-30 minutes against tired defences is his reasonable limit.

No, Potter said that they think it's because Jeff doesn't shoot in games ever, and then comes training and he's shooting, which is what injures him due to his body not being used to the movements which differ from sprinting and shooting. He's not getting injured by challenges. And I seem to remember him playing from the start in the premier league for a while.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Dan James on 12:05 - Oct 28 with 2497 viewsjasper_T

Dan James on 11:57 - Oct 28 by jackrmee

No, Potter said that they think it's because Jeff doesn't shoot in games ever, and then comes training and he's shooting, which is what injures him due to his body not being used to the movements which differ from sprinting and shooting. He's not getting injured by challenges. And I seem to remember him playing from the start in the premier league for a while.

He's older now, and recurring hamstring & quad issues mount up. If we're to keep him fit and ready to rescue games then his minutes need to be limited as his legs only have 4 or 5 good sprints in them, and he needs to avoid getting clattered by cloggers who "want to let him know they're there" or whatever the term is these days, to keep the fear from setting in.

The big difference between Jeff and Dan is how they respond to getting flattened. One hides, the other dusts himself off and goes again.
Dan James on 12:09 - Oct 28 with 2485 viewsjackrmee

Dan James on 12:05 - Oct 28 by jasper_T

He's older now, and recurring hamstring & quad issues mount up. If we're to keep him fit and ready to rescue games then his minutes need to be limited as his legs only have 4 or 5 good sprints in them, and he needs to avoid getting clattered by cloggers who "want to let him know they're there" or whatever the term is these days, to keep the fear from setting in.

The big difference between Jeff and Dan is how they respond to getting flattened. One hides, the other dusts himself off and goes again.

OK, point taken. But DJ can't play 3 games in a week Potter said...
Do you reckon that will mean him coming off for Jeff every game? Or Jeff starting in his place sometimes?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Dan James on 12:53 - Oct 28 with 2450 viewsBillyChong

No end product whatsoever, yet.
Dan James on 13:45 - Oct 28 with 2409 viewsjasper_T

Dan James on 12:53 - Oct 28 by BillyChong

No end product whatsoever, yet.

Apart from the assists?
Login to get fewer ads

Dan James on 13:55 - Oct 28 with 2385 viewsjasper_T

Dan James on 12:09 - Oct 28 by jackrmee

OK, point taken. But DJ can't play 3 games in a week Potter said...
Do you reckon that will mean him coming off for Jeff every game? Or Jeff starting in his place sometimes?

Potter said that but he played ~40/90/90 this week, and did a good job of it.

Repeating that long term would probably lead to issues, but it's month before we have another midweek game. I would be very reluctant to start Jeff, probably look to Routledge or McKay and keep Montero on the bench through the winter.
Dan James on 14:28 - Oct 28 with 2356 viewsjackrmee

Dan James on 13:45 - Oct 28 by jasper_T

Apart from the assists?

Dan James on 17:51 - Oct 28 with 2260 viewsMoscowJack

Dan's the sort of player who a striker loves to play with.

His direct style creates space, chances and also makes centre halves drift wider to cover his full back. It changes the dynamic completely.

He's created so many chances and half-chances for Ollie but anyone watching the U23s will know he and Byers were by the far the most creative for Ollie.

I'm not too worried about Dan not getting that many goals as he's going to feed a lot of others.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Dan James on 13:14 - Oct 29 with 2066 viewsjasper_T

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/small-podgy-kid-terri

"I’ve seen him do that for the last three years against under-23 teams and the question was always, ‘can he do it at first-team level?’

"I think he’s now showing everyone that he’s more than capable of doing that at this level and even higher.

"Mind you, he’s terrible in training! He’s one of the worst. You never want to be on his team in training, but he’s a complete game player who turns it on in matches."

"He looks like this little, small, podgy kid who shouldn’t be able to run and then he gets into a game and he’s ridiculous. It’s a pleasure to play alongside him."

Maybe a hint why he didn't get on with Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury. Dan would probably be a superstar had he grown up at a French or Spanish club where training isn't treated as life and death.
Dan James on 20:17 - Oct 29 with 1963 viewsjasper_T

Dan James on 10:38 - Oct 30 with 1838 viewsjackrmee

Dan James on 20:17 - Oct 29 by jasper_T

Exciting times, as Jeff set to be back on the bench against Rotherham.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-fans-ver

Dan James on 11:07 - Oct 30 with 1816 viewsTailGunner

Watching MNF last night & they highlighted Pogba putting balls through for Martial who had no sense of reading where or when to run.

Celina & James seem to have a real understanding already (as with Jeff to be fair).
The kid makes the right runs - Celina's weight of pass is inch perfect in those situations - a full backs absolute nightmare.

Can only get better too....
Dan James on 11:56 - Oct 30 with 1748 viewsjack247

Dan James on 11:07 - Oct 30 by TailGunner

Watching MNF last night & they highlighted Pogba putting balls through for Martial who had no sense of reading where or when to run.

Celina & James seem to have a real understanding already (as with Jeff to be fair).
The kid makes the right runs - Celina's weight of pass is inch perfect in those situations - a full backs absolute nightmare.

Can only get better too....

I’ve said plenty of times in the past, that if you could combine the best bits of Montero and Routledge, you’d have a hell of a good player. They’ve both got obvious strengths and weaknesses to their games. He’s not as explosive as Montero, though very few are and he doesn’t read the game as well as Routledge yet, but most 35 year olds don’t, let alone a youngster in his first full season.

He does go past people like Jeff and he does make the off ball runs like Routledge, which result in him having a lot of chances for a winger. My only real criticism is he seems to have inherited both their shooting boots, though he’s always brave enough to take the next shot on. Hopefully, that will come.
Dan James on 12:10 - Oct 30 with 1733 viewsTailGunner

Dan James on 11:56 - Oct 30 by jack247

I’ve said plenty of times in the past, that if you could combine the best bits of Montero and Routledge, you’d have a hell of a good player. They’ve both got obvious strengths and weaknesses to their games. He’s not as explosive as Montero, though very few are and he doesn’t read the game as well as Routledge yet, but most 35 year olds don’t, let alone a youngster in his first full season.

He does go past people like Jeff and he does make the off ball runs like Routledge, which result in him having a lot of chances for a winger. My only real criticism is he seems to have inherited both their shooting boots, though he’s always brave enough to take the next shot on. Hopefully, that will come.

Cannot argue with that.

He can technically (at full speed on the hoof) put a ball across goal on a plate though, so he will have the capability to finish in his locker.

Dealing with that pressure situation will come with experience i reckon.

Bit harsh on routs too?
Some fantastic finishes in the past for us - found his level with us i reckon.
Dan James on 12:14 - Oct 30 with 1731 viewsjasper_T

Dan James on 12:10 - Oct 30 by TailGunner

Cannot argue with that.

He can technically (at full speed on the hoof) put a ball across goal on a plate though, so he will have the capability to finish in his locker.

Dealing with that pressure situation will come with experience i reckon.

Bit harsh on routs too?
Some fantastic finishes in the past for us - found his level with us i reckon.

Routledge scored some fantastic goals, yes, but he also messed up countless relatively simple one on ones. Great at making chances for himself with his movement, awful at finishing them off.
Dan James on 12:17 - Oct 30 with 1723 viewsTailGunner

Dan James on 12:14 - Oct 30 by jasper_T

Routledge scored some fantastic goals, yes, but he also messed up countless relatively simple one on ones. Great at making chances for himself with his movement, awful at finishing them off.

Harsh again? But - IMO - would downgrade to hugely inconsistent personally. Which was why he was with us. Those first 4-5 seasons - i thought he was great for us on the whole.
Dan James on 12:23 - Oct 30 with 1712 viewsjack247

Dan James on 12:14 - Oct 30 by jasper_T

Exactly. I suppose the absolute dream is having a winger who can think like Routledge, beat a man like Montero and finish. Sinclair had elements of all three in the Championship, I can’t think of anyone else.
Dan James on 13:30 - Oct 30 with 1659 viewsLeonWasGod

Dan James on 12:17 - Oct 30 by TailGunner

Harsh again? But - IMO - would downgrade to hugely inconsistent personally. Which was why he was with us. Those first 4-5 seasons - i thought he was great for us on the whole.

A great servant for us. He wasn't a world beater, but was a solid, clever player and consummate professional. Doesn't deserve the grief he gets from some of our fans.
Dan James on 16:45 - Oct 30 with 1591 viewsLoyal

Dan James on 20:17 - Oct 29 by jasper_T

I thought football had got rid of the likes of Keith Curle.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Dan James on 18:03 - Oct 30 with 1536 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I still harbour hopes for young Barrie Mackay, albeit now on the right wing. He could be the new Ted "the Tin Man" McMinn

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024