Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope our foreign aid money 16:43 - Oct 31 with 1596 viewscentrestandswan

didn't pay towards this:
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/10/31/worlds-tallest-statue-u

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

I hope our foreign aid money on 20:04 - Oct 31 with 1539 viewsFlashberryjack

Makes a mockery of our foreign aid policy.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

I hope our foreign aid money on 10:11 - Nov 4 with 1424 viewscontroversial_jack

I hope our foreign aid money on 20:04 - Oct 31 by Flashberryjack

Makes a mockery of our foreign aid policy.

We don't give foreign aid, we give inducements
I hope our foreign aid money on 11:25 - Nov 4 with 1386 viewsexiledclaseboy

I hope our foreign aid money on 10:11 - Nov 4 by controversial_jack

We don't give foreign aid, we give inducements

Exactly. The “foreign aid” budget is much misunderstood and that’s usually deliberate on behalf of the politiciana. We’re not giving this money out of the goodness of our hearts. We expect abd usually get much more in return over time. They’re not charitable donations.

Poll: Tory leader

I hope our foreign aid money on 11:46 - Nov 5 with 1251 viewsProfessor

India is a development partner and does not get direct aid, but we fund areas such as agricultural, scientific and engineering projects in conjunction with India (Same for China and South Africa). The DAC list of development aid (ODA) eligible countries is pretty wide and includes a number in Europe.

We tend to directly fund only low, not middle income countries, but will fund areas of science and development through Global Challenges Research Fund and Newton Fund. I have a project funded in Philippines and Thailand (lower and upper middle income countries) and another I am involved in with India. In such cases the work benefits the ODA eligible country but both the UK and that country contribute to costs. The main benefit is development and training of scientists in that country.
I hope our foreign aid money on 16:39 - Nov 5 with 1190 viewsLeonWasGod

I hope our foreign aid money on 11:46 - Nov 5 by Professor

India is a development partner and does not get direct aid, but we fund areas such as agricultural, scientific and engineering projects in conjunction with India (Same for China and South Africa). The DAC list of development aid (ODA) eligible countries is pretty wide and includes a number in Europe.

We tend to directly fund only low, not middle income countries, but will fund areas of science and development through Global Challenges Research Fund and Newton Fund. I have a project funded in Philippines and Thailand (lower and upper middle income countries) and another I am involved in with India. In such cases the work benefits the ODA eligible country but both the UK and that country contribute to costs. The main benefit is development and training of scientists in that country.

Yep. Although to be anally pedantic, whilst we've shifted away from directly funding to that partnership model you describe, we do still fund India indirectly via our multilateral commitments to organisations such as the International Development Association (and plenty of other smaller ones).
I hope our foreign aid money on 17:32 - Nov 5 with 1167 viewsProfessor

I hope our foreign aid money on 16:39 - Nov 5 by LeonWasGod

Yep. Although to be anally pedantic, whilst we've shifted away from directly funding to that partnership model you describe, we do still fund India indirectly via our multilateral commitments to organisations such as the International Development Association (and plenty of other smaller ones).

I stand corrected. I guess my point was that most of the ODA budget is not going on bags of grain but in developing sustainable development. It is an easy target to complain about aid and plenty of papers willing to print at best half-truths. As I have said before working in Ethiopia has changed my viewpoint entirely. We had a big paper out on the Ethiopian work recently which will help show a way forward in my area (chickens) for village production which is a bit contradictory to the approaches of some charities..
I hope our foreign aid money on 17:34 - Nov 5 with 1167 viewsFlashberryjack

I hope our foreign aid money on 11:25 - Nov 4 by exiledclaseboy

Exactly. The “foreign aid” budget is much misunderstood and that’s usually deliberate on behalf of the politiciana. We’re not giving this money out of the goodness of our hearts. We expect abd usually get much more in return over time. They’re not charitable donations.

So foreign aid is profitable, cool.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

I hope our foreign aid money on 11:33 - Nov 6 with 1104 viewsLeonWasGod

I hope our foreign aid money on 17:32 - Nov 5 by Professor

I stand corrected. I guess my point was that most of the ODA budget is not going on bags of grain but in developing sustainable development. It is an easy target to complain about aid and plenty of papers willing to print at best half-truths. As I have said before working in Ethiopia has changed my viewpoint entirely. We had a big paper out on the Ethiopian work recently which will help show a way forward in my area (chickens) for village production which is a bit contradictory to the approaches of some charities..

I was being stupidly pedantic . And that's something people don't see from this side of our development work - it has mutual benefits on all sides, such as you describe. A possible REF Impact case study there? Our research base and global standing would certainly be poorer if we didn't have these collaborations (see possible Brexit implications too).
Login to get fewer ads

I hope our foreign aid money on 17:02 - Nov 6 with 1074 viewsProfessor

I hope our foreign aid money on 11:33 - Nov 6 by LeonWasGod

I was being stupidly pedantic . And that's something people don't see from this side of our development work - it has mutual benefits on all sides, such as you describe. A possible REF Impact case study there? Our research base and global standing would certainly be poorer if we didn't have these collaborations (see possible Brexit implications too).

Possibly but not likely to have enough evidence for REF2021. We are developing both a printed manual and a smartphone app to support this. I am leading our impact cases for UoA6 and helping cover UoA1. It is a completely stupid exercise until everyone returned has to have an impact case statement
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024