Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship Finances 14:52 - Nov 1 with 2504 viewsjasper_T

Bristol City declare losses of £23.5m for the 17/18 season after their wage bill skyrocketed to £20.6m.

They had to sell three of their best players in the summer to cover the losses. Club already indebted to its majority shareholder to the tune of £65m. Terrifying stuff.

Too many clubs gambling on promotion, more than 3/4 of the league living well beyond their means.
Championship Finances on 15:02 - Nov 1 with 2482 viewsjasper_T

Norwich City posted a £18.5m profit for the 17/18 season, but that included an operating loss of £29m, only offset by a huge £48m profit in player sales (selling Maddison, Pritchard and the Murphys).

Had to cut their wage bill £13m (down to £42m) due to decrease in parachute payments received. This is the first time Norwich have made a meaningful profit in the Championship, and it required selling all their top assets.
Championship Finances on 15:07 - Nov 1 with 2468 viewsLoyal

Most of that for Tammy the loan mule the season before 🚮

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Championship Finances on 17:13 - Nov 1 with 2312 viewsCaptain_Sham

Isn't this where Tragic Flaps posts new thread asking where the £65m in transfer fees went?

Its just a ride.

Championship Finances on 17:36 - Nov 1 with 2253 viewsDr_Winston

Championship Finances on 17:13 - Nov 1 by Captain_Sham

Isn't this where Tragic Flaps posts new thread asking where the £65m in transfer fees went?

Must be at least £30m spirited abroad innit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Championship Finances on 17:37 - Nov 1 with 2247 viewsCaptain_Sham

Championship Finances on 17:36 - Nov 1 by Dr_Winston

Must be at least £30m spirited abroad innit.

...to keep Rooney supplied with Beans and Sausages.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2018 17:37]

Its just a ride.

Championship Finances on 18:21 - Nov 1 with 2164 viewsCatullus

This is yet another problem with the Premier league, the clubs are chasing the riches on offer and take gambles.
When you get there you spend ever more beyond your means to try and stay there.

It might annoy a few but I'd rather be a fixture in the Championship with a stable club in a proper competition than be in the EPL and accepting not getting relegated as being succesful.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Championship Finances on 18:31 - Nov 1 with 2151 viewslonglostjack

Championship Finances on 18:21 - Nov 1 by Catullus

This is yet another problem with the Premier league, the clubs are chasing the riches on offer and take gambles.

It might annoy a few but I'd rather be a fixture in the Championship with a stable club in a proper competition than be in the EPL and accepting not getting relegated as being succesful.

I know what you mean but that would entail hoping the Swans throw a few games so that they don’t go up. Makes no sense.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Championship Finances on 18:40 - Nov 1 with 2125 viewsEasternJack

Championship Finances on 18:21 - Nov 1 by Catullus

Someone's forgotten what is was like before Monk broke it.

If Brendan and Laudrup can do it - so can someone else. Potter is a good bet.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Login to get fewer ads

Championship Finances on 19:29 - Nov 1 with 2040 viewsLeonWasGod

This is why we ned to go back up. I've seen quite a few posters say there's no rush, but if you think last summer was bad just wait a year or two. And once the parachute payments go we wouldn't be able to affort half our starting lineup.
Championship Finances on 19:41 - Nov 1 with 2019 viewsPrivate_Partz

Championship Finances on 18:40 - Nov 1 by EasternJack

Top post.
We are comparing us with how our club has been run since ML's sacking and other debt ridden Championship clubs.
There was a formulae of possession football and top notch scouting that attracted the admiration of the football world.
We need to get back to that and Harry seems to be doing his level best. He needs the backing of the Yanks and Sell Outs to achieve this however.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Championship Finances on 19:42 - Nov 1 with 2016 viewsCatullus

Championship Finances on 19:29 - Nov 1 by LeonWasGod

This is why we ned to go back up. I've seen quite a few posters say there's no rush, but if you think last summer was bad just wait a year or two. And once the parachute payments go we wouldn't be able to affort half our starting lineup.

maybe, just maybe if pro footballers didn't demand such excessive wages that wouldn't be true.
I read earlier that Raheem Sterling has been given a new contract of £300,000 per week. He should be on that much a year ffs!!

It's only the mega rich clubs that can afford these wages and the problems it creates further down the leagues is all too obvious. Look at us with Bony, the Ayews, Clucas etc. Werte any of them worth near to the stupid wages we pay/paid them?
Until some sanity is restored the EPL will get less and less competitive and the knock on effects will continue to put more clubs in danger.

PS, why would we have to throw games, that presupposes we are good enough to go up. It could still go either way!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Championship Finances on 09:42 - Nov 2 with 1762 viewsThrasher6

Championship Finances on 17:13 - Nov 1 by Captain_Sham

Tragic Flaps....made me chuckle...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Championship Finances on 15:06 - Nov 2 with 1631 viewsicecoldjack

Championship Finances on 18:40 - Nov 1 by EasternJack

That's far too a sensible post for planet swans.
Championship Finances on 15:09 - Nov 2 with 1626 viewswestwalesed

Championship Finances on 19:42 - Nov 1 by Catullus

maybe, just maybe if pro footballers didn't demand such excessive wages that wouldn't be true.
I read earlier that Raheem Sterling has been given a new contract of £300,000 per week. He should be on that much a year ffs!!

It's only the mega rich clubs that can afford these wages and the problems it creates further down the leagues is all too obvious. Look at us with Bony, the Ayews, Clucas etc. Werte any of them worth near to the stupid wages we pay/paid them?
Until some sanity is restored the EPL will get less and less competitive and the knock on effects will continue to put more clubs in danger.

PS, why would we have to throw games, that presupposes we are good enough to go up. It could still go either way!!

I completely agree with you but there is literally nothing that can be done to stop it. The only thing is a wage cap, which is probably illegal?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Championship Finances on 16:36 - Nov 2 with 1569 viewsDr_Winston

Championship Finances on 15:09 - Nov 2 by westwalesed

I completely agree with you but there is literally nothing that can be done to stop it. The only thing is a wage cap, which is probably illegal?

A wage cap (or salary cap for clubs) would probably be legal, but ultimately counter productive. All that would happen is the better players would be off abroad and we'd be left with a top flight as poor as it was in the late 80's and early 90's.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Championship Finances on 16:38 - Nov 2 with 1565 viewsbyron

Is that a loss after the player sales or before? That’s insane if after sales. Would have thought 20 million was about average in the championship too? Heard we were 13th in the wage league last season on about 18 mill. Such a jump to the average in the PL which must be around 80/90 million now I guess. Aren’t you lot down to about half that now? Which is still double the wurzels it would seem.

Benny

Championship Finances on 17:11 - Nov 2 with 1517 viewsjasper_T

Championship Finances on 16:38 - Nov 2 by byron

Is that a loss after the player sales or before? That’s insane if after sales. Would have thought 20 million was about average in the championship too? Heard we were 13th in the wage league last season on about 18 mill. Such a jump to the average in the PL which must be around 80/90 million now I guess. Aren’t you lot down to about half that now? Which is still double the wurzels it would seem.

The Bristol City loss is from before the summer player sales, I'm pretty sure. They had to sell because they're facing similar operational losses this season as well.

I'd expect us to be down to £40-50m now, with hopefully more cuts to come in January. Then sell the Ayews in the summer to cover losses and leave something to play with next season.
Championship Finances on 18:15 - Nov 2 with 1453 viewsbyron

Championship Finances on 17:11 - Nov 2 by jasper_T

The Bristol City loss is from before the summer player sales, I'm pretty sure. They had to sell because they're facing similar operational losses this season as well.

I'd expect us to be down to £40-50m now, with hopefully more cuts to come in January. Then sell the Ayews in the summer to cover losses and leave something to play with next season.

I don’t know if the parachute payments are enough these days, to go from about 90 to 15/20 is near impossible in a season or two. Trying to shift high earners is almost impossible, club will be forced to take a low fee or no fee just to get them off books. Another punch in the nuts after the trauma of a relegation. Needs sorting I think.

Benny

Championship Finances on 20:53 - Nov 2 with 1348 viewsmajorraglan

Championship Finances on 17:11 - Nov 2 by jasper_T

Not sure how accurate the wages quoted on the attached link are, but if we work on the assumption they are accurate a quick totalling up of the “experienced” players wages comes in at £14.5m. Missing from the list of senior pros is Nordfelt who I would have thought is on about £1m a season which pushes the wages up to about £15.5m. On top of that we have to factor in the subsidies paid to other clubs re wages of players on loan or off loaded, for example 2 x Ayew, Mesa, Baston, which is likely to be another £3m maybe £4m. Then there are the younger players who are coming through, most on low wage but people like McBurnie, Rodon, Bersant may be on £500k per season.
https://sillyseason.com/salary/swansea-city-fc-players-salaries-101481/
By the time the playing staff I.e. managers, coaches etc wages are factored i reckon it’s probably nearer £30m, then there are non playing wages to consider.

With lots of the senior pros out of contract next year, that’s likely to be another £10m off the wage bill.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/swansea-city/vertragsende/verein/2288

I expect that next seasons squad will be very young.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024