Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super League 19:02 - Nov 2 with 10986 viewslonglostjack

Within 3 years. To be made up of 16 teams. Breaking news.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

European Super League on 08:45 - Nov 3 with 1166 viewsswan85

European Super League on 08:30 - Nov 3 by MrSwerve

Indeed, can’t see it happening, certainly not within the next ten years anyway.

It would be such a shake up of European football. There’ll be huge amounts of opposition from fans.

We need the big clubs in our league system. Playing Man Utd, City, Liverpool etc is all part of being in the premier league. If we had Everton at the top of the PL there wouldn’t be as much excitement in my opinion. Yes it could potentially make it more competitive, but you’d still have a select 4 or 5 at the top of the league - just less ‘glamorous’.

Also how would things like the FA cup work? Giant killings are probably the most important and exciting aspect of our cup competitions.

Just can’t see it happening, for a very long time at least.

I agree with your post. Myself and my mates have been talking about this, i have been saying for some time this would happen. But one of my mates made the point they already have this in a slightly different form in CL. It is no longer just the champions, but the "big clubs".

I think the fan opposition at the big clubs will hold some sway (despite the money) these fans still like going away to the likes of palace, Watford etc. Flying off to Munich, Barcelona etc takes too much commitment, financially and work based. I think what we will see is a re-structure of the CL.

I really hope it doesn't happen, but if it does I think the message needs to be, once you're gone, you're gone and good luck for the future.
European Super League on 09:01 - Nov 3 with 1152 viewstrinityann

This is a typical everyday click bait article, no such thing as real news anymore.
European Super League on 09:12 - Nov 3 with 1144 viewsKilkennyjack

Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, and Aberdeen - come on down ?

Beware of the Risen People

European Super League on 09:13 - Nov 3 with 1137 viewsraynor94

European Super League on 09:12 - Nov 3 by Kilkennyjack

Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, and Aberdeen - come on down ?

Not in a million years!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

European Super League on 09:18 - Nov 3 with 1131 viewsKilkennyjack

European Super League on 09:13 - Nov 3 by raynor94

Not in a million years!

No you are quite right -the tv people will defo prefer the glamour of clubs like Rotherham, Barnsley, Bradford, Blackpool, and Oldham.

Beware of the Risen People

European Super League on 09:30 - Nov 3 with 1119 viewsraynor94

European Super League on 09:18 - Nov 3 by Kilkennyjack

No you are quite right -the tv people will defo prefer the glamour of clubs like Rotherham, Barnsley, Bradford, Blackpool, and Oldham.

Hibs Hearts derby in the week, Celtic scum supporters singing about the poppy, Rangers support every bit as bad.

Let them keep their sectarian garbage up there.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

European Super League on 09:36 - Nov 3 with 1115 viewsSaharajack

I think it’s a case of when it’s going to happen, not if. It’s been on the cards for many years. Logistically, it would have been very difficult 30 years ago, but since huge tv and corporate largesse arrived, the collective will of the club owners and the malleability of UEFA /FIFA will ensure it will happen.

I welcome the idea. Yes, we’ve all enjoyed the early years of PL membership, and the frequent wins against the likes of Arsenal, and the double over Man U, but I’m convinced more than ever that there will never be a repeat of Leicester’ title. Realistically, the same six or seven clubs will finish at the top of the PL this season, so at best 7th place is place that all the others can aspire to. Also, I’ve not spoken to many people who have preferred this season to the past three seasons in the PL, where more often than not, we were coming away from the game disappointed.

I foresee the ESL developing into 2 leagues of 18 clubs, to accommodate the likes of Spurs, Ajax, Sevilla and others at the edges of success in their own countries. It was mentioned earlier that it’s essential to have promotion / relegation. I think that’s essential to give it the competitive edge. I only hope that it wouldn’t be franchised either, like the NFL - but I expect that some ESL games would be taken to LA, Dubai, Tokyo, which isn’t a great idea, but the owners are only interested in their worldwide fan base
European Super League on 09:43 - Nov 3 with 1108 viewsmonmouth

This crap has been going on for years. It won't happen. If it does happen it won't last, or maybe it will if sky sell enough packages in the far east, because no one will care about the actual match experience, just hype and money. I can see it becoming a totally sterile tv driven experience like rugby league with half empty stadiums. Plastic product, plastic 'supporters' and mercenaries moving around every year between ring fenced teams. The gloss will wear off quickly.

Personally I couldn't care less, but if it does happen, I hope the money and the foreign owners (all of them, not targeting Yanko here) and c*nts like the Ayews all f*ck off with them and there is no tv money here to attract the parasites.

Nah, I reckon this is another power play to try and get the 'top' clubs an even bigger share of the Sky cake in the PL.

Anyway, just a thought, speaking of the Ayews, how long are their contracts? We think we'll be in better financial shape next year, but not if we can't get rid of them and the likes of borja bastard. Trouble with loaning the likes of the Ayews out is that everyone gets to see they really aren't any good.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

European Super League on 10:12 - Nov 3 with 1103 viewsthornabyswan

European Super League on 09:43 - Nov 3 by monmouth

This crap has been going on for years. It won't happen. If it does happen it won't last, or maybe it will if sky sell enough packages in the far east, because no one will care about the actual match experience, just hype and money. I can see it becoming a totally sterile tv driven experience like rugby league with half empty stadiums. Plastic product, plastic 'supporters' and mercenaries moving around every year between ring fenced teams. The gloss will wear off quickly.

Personally I couldn't care less, but if it does happen, I hope the money and the foreign owners (all of them, not targeting Yanko here) and c*nts like the Ayews all f*ck off with them and there is no tv money here to attract the parasites.

Nah, I reckon this is another power play to try and get the 'top' clubs an even bigger share of the Sky cake in the PL.

Anyway, just a thought, speaking of the Ayews, how long are their contracts? We think we'll be in better financial shape next year, but not if we can't get rid of them and the likes of borja bastard. Trouble with loaning the likes of the Ayews out is that everyone gets to see they really aren't any good.

Imagine it Arsenal v Dortmund halfway into a season 11th v 13th with no relegation completely pointless.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

European Super League on 10:23 - Nov 3 with 1093 viewsCatullus

European Super League on 19:49 - Nov 2 by Private_Partz

That last bit is interesting. No promotion to or relegation from. Just 16 privileged teams that were there from the off.
I think if that lot kicks in then it will be the end of my support for the beautiful game.

I don't see why. Take the super rich clubs out....ok Spurs will still be there....and what we have left is an English top division where fairness and competition have been restored. Our club could get promoted again and have a fair chance of winning the league!

Based on how things have gone this idea (which I used to be dead set against) is the way forward to me. Lets face it, these 'big clubs' are making a rod for their own backs. The league will be repetitive and I reckon in 4/5 years many will be bored with it. Then there's the wages problem, these clubs pay out massive wages now, imagine the demands if they go SUPER!!!
Yes, none of these clubs face relegation anyway in their current leagues, but taking away any possibility of it, giving no access to any other teams because they are not big enough or rich enough, what a crock.
Honestly, the rest of the English league will be happy with this in a few years.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

European Super League on 10:32 - Nov 3 with 1084 viewsthornabyswan

European Super League on 10:23 - Nov 3 by Catullus

I don't see why. Take the super rich clubs out....ok Spurs will still be there....and what we have left is an English top division where fairness and competition have been restored. Our club could get promoted again and have a fair chance of winning the league!

Based on how things have gone this idea (which I used to be dead set against) is the way forward to me. Lets face it, these 'big clubs' are making a rod for their own backs. The league will be repetitive and I reckon in 4/5 years many will be bored with it. Then there's the wages problem, these clubs pay out massive wages now, imagine the demands if they go SUPER!!!
Yes, none of these clubs face relegation anyway in their current leagues, but taking away any possibility of it, giving no access to any other teams because they are not big enough or rich enough, what a crock.
Honestly, the rest of the English league will be happy with this in a few years.

They will use this just to try and screw even more money out of TV deals call their bluff and tell them to fukc off.
Then the game can go back to the football league days.
Reintroduce divisions 1 2 3 and 4 all the mercenaries can pi$$ off as well happy days.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 10:35]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

European Super League on 10:50 - Nov 3 with 1071 viewsmajorraglan

European Super League on 08:17 - Nov 3 by thornabyswan

Arsenal and Bayern have denied any involvement.
Liverpool and Man Utd have refused to comment.

Also allegations that Man City and PSG were given leniancy on FFP.

The competition would be dull as dishwater though with no relegation and fans would soon get sick of it.
You only have to look at the Champions League and Europa league group stages it's tedious can't remember the last time I watched a game.

Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal have American owners and used to the no relegation systems they have there. I seem to recall reading there was some displeasure when Leicester City broke in to the top 4 Champions League places knocking one of the big boys off the perch, maybe that’s in their mind especially with Man Utd’s indifferent form this season.
European Super League on 10:51 - Nov 3 with 1070 viewsCatullus

European Super League on 10:32 - Nov 3 by thornabyswan

They will use this just to try and screw even more money out of TV deals call their bluff and tell them to fukc off.
Then the game can go back to the football league days.
Reintroduce divisions 1 2 3 and 4 all the mercenaries can pi$$ off as well happy days.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 10:35]

Absolutely, if they do go super then maybe we can have football back on terrestrial tv with no need for 2/3 expensive subscriptions and having fixtures all over the shop or changed at short notice.
It might actually help attendances at smaller clubs too. Away games in the 'super league' probably won't get many away fans, maybe at first but the financial side and work/life commitments will soon bring it down. Maybe some of those big club supporters will fancy going to a game close by. There's an awful lot of people who can only go to away games for thse big clubs because the home games are pretty much sold out. It might actually help the lower league clubs and I live in hope. It'd be down to individual clubs to try and incentivise people.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

European Super League on 10:54 - Nov 3 with 1065 viewsjack247

European Super League on 07:24 - Nov 3 by jackrmee

The fanbase theory doesn't really hold up imo. We are keeping up with Leeds and Forest now, at arguably our skintest time and with a thin squad.
Yes they will have more money than us, but the gap will be nowhere near the gulf that's in the prem now.
The new ESL will bring us closer to clubs like Newcastle, not further away, Shirley?

edit: and I guess you're right about the foreign players, but if the influx reduces, that will give us benefit also, as we have never been a team full of foreigners anyway. I think it was maybe Roberto who started bringing them in in droves. Our academy would be key, along with our scouts. We will still find the odd gem like Walter Boyd or Pawel Abbot.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 7:34]

Every Premier League teams income is massively inflated by TV revenue. Obviously that makes more difference to the likes of Burnley than Man City. Using an artificially extreme example, if you take it away, the bigger clubs that have wealthy owners or generate more of their own income will have more of an advantage than they do now. Newcastle, West Ham, Leeds and Forest all fall into that category compared to us.

We are competing now, with the benefit of parachute payments and an academy/U23 setup that was quite heavily invested into while we had the PL revenue. For all the bad press Jenkins and co rightly get for the last couple of seasons, they deserve massive credit for that. I didn’t actually realise how much credit until this season.
European Super League on 10:56 - Nov 3 with 1062 viewsBarrySwan

I find the European competitions long drawn out bores since they went from knockout cup to endless mini leagues anyway.
European Super League on 10:58 - Nov 3 with 1059 viewsPrivate_Partz

European Super League on 10:23 - Nov 3 by Catullus

My take is that once the highest level is taken away from the majority it will devalue all the top leagues in Europe.
On a much smaller scale it has happened already in Welsh rugby. Regionalisation has completely devalued the previous top flight. Most of the old clubs have either gone bust or are watched by one man and his dog.
No one has told BBC Cardiff mind you. They still send their camera crews and reporters out to these clubs even though no one gives a flying eff anymore. Does Gayland Downes still report for Swansea Sound I wonder.....
A league structure where, no matter how well you are run or playing, you will never reach the top flight? Not for me.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

European Super League on 18:37 - Nov 3 with 982 viewsCatullus

European Super League on 10:58 - Nov 3 by Private_Partz

My take is that once the highest level is taken away from the majority it will devalue all the top leagues in Europe.
On a much smaller scale it has happened already in Welsh rugby. Regionalisation has completely devalued the previous top flight. Most of the old clubs have either gone bust or are watched by one man and his dog.
No one has told BBC Cardiff mind you. They still send their camera crews and reporters out to these clubs even though no one gives a flying eff anymore. Does Gayland Downes still report for Swansea Sound I wonder.....
A league structure where, no matter how well you are run or playing, you will never reach the top flight? Not for me.

Maybe so but the top flight in England would be the EPL/ First division or whatever it ended up being called.
In all honesty, I reckon an ESL would start well but boredom with the same old teams, same old fixtures, not being able to see so many away games and of course the likely jump in expense would see clubs clamouring to return to their national leagues in less than 10 years.
At which time the FA's of the respective countries should dictate the rules, if you come back all money is distributed fairly, grass roots gets it's fair share....there's lots more to add to that list and it could happen.

European Super League on 18:51 - Nov 3 with 979 viewsFlashberryjack

European Super League on 19:49 - Nov 2 by Private_Partz

That last bit is interesting. No promotion to or relegation from. Just 16 privileged teams that were there from the off.
I think if that lot kicks in then it will be the end of my support for the beautiful game.

And mine.
The money men are squeezing the life out of the game.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 18:53]

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

European Super League on 19:59 - Nov 3 with 946 viewsWingstandwood

Now I know some think this 'breakaway' will never happen because it will indeed take an incredible amount of bottle to risk possible financial catastrophe if (when up n' running) the whole thing turns into an absolute disaster. "Better the devil you know" and all caution being thrown to the wind would be a sensible approach.

But anyhow just to make forum visitors who do not get the newspaper aware.... i.e. 'The Sun' really thinks it's a realistic goer! Apparently Arsene Wenger reckons it's 'inevitable'.

Back page headline: "Shock Football Leaks Revelations"....."The end of our game as we know it"......"Big 5 Breakaway Deal 'This Month'"

First two Inner back pages: "Biggest And Most Shocking Betrayal Game Has Ever Seen"......Filthy-rich clubs to ignore history, loyalty and parity"

Argus!

European Super League on 20:12 - Nov 3 with 930 viewsjack247

European Super League on 19:59 - Nov 3 by Wingstandwood

Now I know some think this 'breakaway' will never happen because it will indeed take an incredible amount of bottle to risk possible financial catastrophe if (when up n' running) the whole thing turns into an absolute disaster. "Better the devil you know" and all caution being thrown to the wind would be a sensible approach.

But anyhow just to make forum visitors who do not get the newspaper aware.... i.e. 'The Sun' really thinks it's a realistic goer! Apparently Arsene Wenger reckons it's 'inevitable'.

Back page headline: "Shock Football Leaks Revelations"....."The end of our game as we know it"......"Big 5 Breakaway Deal 'This Month'"

First two Inner back pages: "Biggest And Most Shocking Betrayal Game Has Ever Seen"......Filthy-rich clubs to ignore history, loyalty and parity"

I genuinely think it will turn into a disaster if it ever gets going.

Man Utd v Real Madrid sounds amazing, but the novelty will quickly wear off if it’s happening twice a season. Particularly if there is no relegation, half the matches will be glorified friendlies.

Plus of course, it would shaft every domestic league. Way too much of a gamble IMO. Just stick to domestic and Champions Leagues.
European Super League on 20:14 - Nov 3 with 923 viewsphact0rri

European Super League on 18:37 - Nov 3 by Catullus

Maybe so but the top flight in England would be the EPL/ First division or whatever it ended up being called.
In all honesty, I reckon an ESL would start well but boredom with the same old teams, same old fixtures, not being able to see so many away games and of course the likely jump in expense would see clubs clamouring to return to their national leagues in less than 10 years.
At which time the FA's of the respective countries should dictate the rules, if you come back all money is distributed fairly, grass roots gets it's fair share....there's lots more to add to that list and it could happen.

To be fair if they are going after the american model anyways... there isn't a lot of away support here. The only time I can remember any away support was going to a Cincinnati v Cleveland baseball match when I was a kid. I remember seeing the parade of Cleveland support coming in on the other turnstile. And the approach did feel like a european football match, with banter amongst the supporters and things.

So in my (not very knowledgeable about sport culture) mind I'd think that they don't care about the away support in a super league, as much as revenue from TV, and international audiences buying replica kits and such.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

European Super League on 20:20 - Nov 3 with 919 viewsWingstandwood

European Super League on 20:12 - Nov 3 by jack247

I genuinely think it will turn into a disaster if it ever gets going.

Man Utd v Real Madrid sounds amazing, but the novelty will quickly wear off if it’s happening twice a season. Particularly if there is no relegation, half the matches will be glorified friendlies.

Plus of course, it would shaft every domestic league. Way too much of a gamble IMO. Just stick to domestic and Champions Leagues.

Yeah, if I was a football chairman I'd seriously weigh up the options here. That's what makes my questioning mind and imagination run riot.

One guy pointed out a possible scenario questioning if it turns nasty and FIFA, UEFA, FA gets pissed off breakaway players could end up being barred from all international games, friendlies, and any cup competition outside of the newly formed league etc.

Argus!

European Super League on 22:16 - Nov 3 with 881 viewsmajorraglan

European Super League on 20:20 - Nov 3 by Wingstandwood

Yeah, if I was a football chairman I'd seriously weigh up the options here. That's what makes my questioning mind and imagination run riot.

One guy pointed out a possible scenario questioning if it turns nasty and FIFA, UEFA, FA gets pissed off breakaway players could end up being barred from all international games, friendlies, and any cup competition outside of the newly formed league etc.

I read something earlier that UEFA were set against it, but for that approach to work they will need FIFA to buy in to that approach. If the Confederations are set against it, then it may crash and burn. 16 teams could only accommodate a limited number of players, anyone who loses a bit of form, injured or is getting on risks being out of the game on a permanent basis, unless you are a superstar like a Ronaldo, Messi that’s a big risk to take.
I honestly suspect another fudge like the reorganisation of the Champions League, but behaviour like this anoys me, 12 years ago, Man City wouldn’t have had a look in nor would PSG, Arsenal haven’t exactly won a great deal over the last few years!
European Super League on 22:37 - Nov 3 with 874 viewsCatullus

European Super League on 22:16 - Nov 3 by majorraglan

I read something earlier that UEFA were set against it, but for that approach to work they will need FIFA to buy in to that approach. If the Confederations are set against it, then it may crash and burn. 16 teams could only accommodate a limited number of players, anyone who loses a bit of form, injured or is getting on risks being out of the game on a permanent basis, unless you are a superstar like a Ronaldo, Messi that’s a big risk to take.
I honestly suspect another fudge like the reorganisation of the Champions League, but behaviour like this anoys me, 12 years ago, Man City wouldn’t have had a look in nor would PSG, Arsenal haven’t exactly won a great deal over the last few years!

That there is the thing that's most wrong with this idea. It's not necessarily the most succesful clubs that are being chosen but the sides with most wealth and they're doing it purely to chase even more wealth. If it was about recent success then Leicester would be invited in or maybe the top clubs from some other leagues. This is all about revenue and it stinks.
Someone asked what happens to the FA cup when there's not any giants to kill anymore, it's all relative. Everton and Spurs will take the mantle over and maybe some of the other big clubs will too. Villa, Leeds, Newcastle, we'll end up with a new top 5/6 (whoever they end up being) just that the wealth gap won't be the yawning chasm it is right now.
It was obvious football was heading this way when they changed the European cup to the Champions league and started seeding. They were favouring the wealthier clubs then in the belief they needed the 'big teams' in the final rounds to increase commercial revenue. The actual sport itself comes a sorry second to raising revenue. The bottom line is more important than any giant killing.

European Super League on 12:58 - Nov 4 with 793 viewsjackrmee

European Super League on 22:16 - Nov 3 by majorraglan

Not hard to get FIFA on board surely? A couple of bribes and strippers and it's a deal

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024