Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle Emlyn 19:41 - Nov 5 with 6378 viewstaffpunk

How many pubs are there, places to stay etc...going up there in January to watch my local Egg team, as ever I've been lumbered with sorting the trip out. Is it a place that's worth staying overnight? Better off going back to Carmarthen? Help...

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Newcastle Emlyn on 19:55 - Nov 5 with 4884 viewsItchySphincter

They're mostly crossed eyed and have six fingers.

Should be like home from home for you.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:00 - Nov 5 with 4876 viewsstevethejack

This used to be a really nice hotel called Catell Malgwyn, but an English couple took it over and turned into a boutique hotel.

https://castellmalgwyn.wales/
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1199273-d2412997-r239111627-Hamme
Newcastle Emlyn on 20:00 - Nov 5 with 4876 viewslittle_britton

You would be better heading back to Carmarthen than staying up there
Newcastle Emlyn on 20:03 - Nov 5 with 4864 viewsbuilthjack

Hit Carmarthen, if it's on a Saturday.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:06 - Nov 5 with 4854 viewslifelong

Nice area in the summer if you fancy a spot of fishing on the river Teifi, haven’t been there for a few years, 3 pubs and a fish and chip shop just about sums up the entertainment. Couple of nice camp sites in the area, bit cold in January mind.
Newcastle Emlyn on 20:06 - Nov 5 with 4854 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 19:55 - Nov 5 by ItchySphincter

They're mostly crossed eyed and have six fingers.

Should be like home from home for you.

I'm from the Rhondda mun, not Cardiff-three eyes and seven fingers we've got, and bloody proud of it.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:08 - Nov 5 with 4853 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:06 - Nov 5 by lifelong

Nice area in the summer if you fancy a spot of fishing on the river Teifi, haven’t been there for a few years, 3 pubs and a fish and chip shop just about sums up the entertainment. Couple of nice camp sites in the area, bit cold in January mind.

Cheers for that, it's sounding more like Carmarthen to me.

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:18 - Nov 5 with 4837 viewsexhmrc1

better still come into Swansea and head for wind st. premier inn on wind street or Travelodge a street away. what side do you support.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 20:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:24 - Nov 5 with 4821 viewsdickythorpe

Are you Ystrad Rhondda?
Good hotel in Emlyn. The Gwesty'r Emlyn. Cracking clubhouse and you'll be welcome to stay there all night.
Carmarthen is 45mins away. Good pubs in Emlyn.The Bunch of grapes, ivy bush and coopers.
The rugby club is run by the owners of the hotel.
My mate used to coach them and I've played many times up there. You'll enjoy.
Cardigan is close by and that's a bit bigger.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 20:30]
Newcastle Emlyn on 20:31 - Nov 5 with 4799 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:18 - Nov 5 by exhmrc1

better still come into Swansea and head for wind st. premier inn on wind street or Travelodge a street away. what side do you support.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 20:19]

Ystrad Rhondda.

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:34 - Nov 5 with 4786 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:24 - Nov 5 by dickythorpe

Are you Ystrad Rhondda?
Good hotel in Emlyn. The Gwesty'r Emlyn. Cracking clubhouse and you'll be welcome to stay there all night.
Carmarthen is 45mins away. Good pubs in Emlyn.The Bunch of grapes, ivy bush and coopers.
The rugby club is run by the owners of the hotel.
My mate used to coach them and I've played many times up there. You'll enjoy.
Cardigan is close by and that's a bit bigger.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 20:30]

Yeah, Ystrad, always go to watch them if I don't go and watch Cardiff or whoever my sons are playing for in football . Been a member of the club since the late 70's, never got into that Rugby/Football divide tbh, thanks for your advice.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 20:35]

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:36 - Nov 5 with 4778 viewsdickythorpe

I think you'll be surprised by the clubhouse and the town. Enjoy.
Newcastle Emlyn on 21:07 - Nov 5 with 4750 viewsexhmrc1

you are playing trebanos on 15 dec. might be a better stop with Swansea 8 miles away. depends on ages etc some visiting teams head for wind st
Newcastle Emlyn on 21:37 - Nov 5 with 4724 viewsPacemaker

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:34 - Nov 5 by taffpunk

Yeah, Ystrad, always go to watch them if I don't go and watch Cardiff or whoever my sons are playing for in football . Been a member of the club since the late 70's, never got into that Rugby/Football divide tbh, thanks for your advice.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 20:35]

We have probably crossed paths as my brothers and I played for Treherbert late 70's onwards, Ystrad boys of that time were Ralph Davies playing flanker, I can't remember his bros name played scrum half, Mike Griffiths was second row before moving to Bridgend and becoming a prop for Wales.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Newcastle Emlyn on 21:46 - Nov 5 with 4707 viewsFlashberryjack

Newcastle Emlyn on 21:37 - Nov 5 by Pacemaker

We have probably crossed paths as my brothers and I played for Treherbert late 70's onwards, Ystrad boys of that time were Ralph Davies playing flanker, I can't remember his bros name played scrum half, Mike Griffiths was second row before moving to Bridgend and becoming a prop for Wales.

I call in the Treherbert Rugby club about 6/7 times a year, the drive over the bwlch can be a bit hairy if the weather's bad though.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Newcastle Emlyn on 21:57 - Nov 5 with 4696 viewsdickythorpe

Mike had a brother who was also a prop but for Wasps.
Newcastle Emlyn on 22:18 - Nov 5 with 4676 viewswestwalesed

Newcastle Emlyn born and bred here!
It's a beautiful, but quiet agricultural town - the rugby club and clubhouse are excellent facilities for a town of the size, and the castle that gives the town its name is well worth a walk. In terms of pubs, there are 4 currently going strong - all friendly enough. The only place to stay really is the main hotel in town as mentioned above.

Bizarrely, a SUPERB curry house called Yasmins - Google it - its won national awards and everything! Stay over and maybe head over to Cenarth (3 miles away) for a lovely river walk and then check out The Nags Head in Abercych (my favourite pub in that area) for an excellent SUnday Lunch.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:34 - Nov 5 with 4656 viewslonglostjack

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:18 - Nov 5 by westwalesed

It's a beautiful, but quiet agricultural town - the rugby club and clubhouse are excellent facilities for a town of the size, and the castle that gives the town its name is well worth a walk. In terms of pubs, there are 4 currently going strong - all friendly enough. The only place to stay really is the main hotel in town as mentioned above.

Bizarrely, a SUPERB curry house called Yasmins - Google it - its won national awards and everything! Stay over and maybe head over to Cenarth (3 miles away) for a lovely river walk and then check out The Nags Head in Abercych (my favourite pub in that area) for an excellent SUnday Lunch.

I used to get my hair cut at a barbers in Newcastle Emlyn when I was a kid back in the sixties. He did sleight of hand magic tricks like making coins disappear. Very popular he was.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:34 - Nov 5 with 4656 viewsbuilthjack

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:18 - Nov 5 by westwalesed

These boys won't be interested in site seeing. It will be flat out on the pop and kip all the way home.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Newcastle Emlyn on 06:28 - Nov 6 with 4566 viewsPacemaker

Newcastle Emlyn on 21:46 - Nov 5 by Flashberryjack

I call in the Treherbert Rugby club about 6/7 times a year, the drive over the bwlch can be a bit hairy if the weather's bad though.

My parents and youngest brother still live in the area, I rarely call in the club now due to time constraints but my name is still on captains board and there are a few photos of me from my playing days up there. A good community club despite the fall in numbers in its heyday, club was open all day 7 days a week at one time.

I am still friends with a large number of former players including John Davies the current steward.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Newcastle Emlyn on 06:44 - Nov 6 with 4549 viewsMo_Wives

Newcastle Emlyn on 20:00 - Nov 5 by stevethejack

This used to be a really nice hotel called Catell Malgwyn, but an English couple took it over and turned into a boutique hotel.

https://castellmalgwyn.wales/
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1199273-d2412997-r239111627-Hamme

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Newcastle Emlyn on 17:15 - Nov 6 with 4405 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 21:07 - Nov 5 by exhmrc1

you are playing trebanos on 15 dec. might be a better stop with Swansea 8 miles away. depends on ages etc some visiting teams head for wind st

Too much going on then, so our main away trip stop over this season is the NE one in January, cheers anyway.

Newcastle Emlyn on 17:27 - Nov 6 with 4394 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 21:37 - Nov 5 by Pacemaker

Ralph was the leader of 'Ralph's Regiment' in Ystrad/Llwynypia in the mid to late 70's, hard as nails, but a lovely bloke. Him and his mates all used to wear Army gear, and hang around Ystrad Sports Centre.His brother Robert was the scrum half, and 'Old Ralph' their Dad was the coach. Still see Ralph now and then, and their younger brother James was also a very good scrum half .

Micky Griff is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and you might be surprised to hear a big CCFC fan. My father in law played for Treherbert more than 300 times from the early 60's's to the mid/late 70's!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 17:43]

Newcastle Emlyn on 17:33 - Nov 6 with 4384 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 21:57 - Nov 5 by dickythorpe

Mike had a brother who was also a prop but for Wasps.

I think you've got that wrong, Dennis is his brother, he was a body builder. Mike played for Wasps himself, went up to watch him a couple of times, once at Loftus Road..

Newcastle Emlyn on 17:36 - Nov 6 with 4380 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:34 - Nov 5 by builthjack

These boys won't be interested in site seeing. It will be flat out on the pop and kip all the way home.

Spot on Builth, though we are going to stop overnight so maybe not so much kipping on the way home.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024