Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jury Service 16:46 - Nov 6 with 7748 viewsAl_Bundy

Anybody on here being summoned to jury service? I've got to do this in Jan 2019 and pretty pissed off about it. My company said its unpaid leave and could last between 10-200 days. There is some claim back you can apply for as loss of earnings but nowhere near what i earn.

Any escape routes recommended ?
Jury Service on 16:52 - Nov 6 with 6170 viewsjack247

When I did it, probably about 10 years ago, they wanted confirmation of my salary from my employer and they reimbursed to the penny. They didn’t just give an arbitrary amount. Not sure how it works if you’re self-employed or have a commission based job.

I never actually got called to trial, just sat in a waiting room (which was mind numbing, take a book/iPad etc) got sent home at lunchtime every day and back to work after a week.
Jury Service on 16:58 - Nov 6 with 6161 viewspikeypaul

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

1st 10 days you can only claim about £64 a day.

That’s has changed since last time I did it the maximum was around £55 a day.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 16:59]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Jury Service on 17:07 - Nov 6 with 6141 viewsjack247

Jury Service on 16:58 - Nov 6 by pikeypaul

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

1st 10 days you can only claim about £64 a day.

That’s has changed since last time I did it the maximum was around £55 a day.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 16:59]

Is that new? I’m sure I was fully compensated and earned more than £64 a day at the time. Really unfair if that’s the case.
Jury Service on 17:17 - Nov 6 with 6125 viewsAl_Bundy

So firstly a victim of community crime then asked to take a a pay cut for the pleasure in listening to their excuses of why they are there.

I'm sure i won't be going there with an impartial viewpoint that's for sure.
Jury Service on 17:59 - Nov 6 with 6093 viewsSoberBaker

Jury Service on 17:17 - Nov 6 by Al_Bundy

So firstly a victim of community crime then asked to take a a pay cut for the pleasure in listening to their excuses of why they are there.

I'm sure i won't be going there with an impartial viewpoint that's for sure.

When you get sworn in, just start undressing.

Don't forget to gyrate those hips, interspersed with some serious thrusting.

You'll be back to work in no time

AMOW

Jury Service on 18:00 - Nov 6 with 6086 viewsJackfath

What happens if you don't turn up?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Jury Service on 18:26 - Nov 6 with 6055 viewsA_fish_called_Swanda

If you don't turn up you can get fined.

I did jury service around this time last year and it will more than likely not last longer than a week as they get fresh intakes of people regularly.

They are actually quite reasonable if you explain that being there is going to cause you a problem. I know at least one person who asked not to come back the next day and they agreed to it.

They vastly over estimate how many people they will require so one person leaving won't make a difference to them. It seemed like a massive waste of time, money and resource on the whole to be honest.
Jury Service on 18:28 - Nov 6 with 6043 viewslondonlisa2001

To the OP. Some home insurance policies cover the loss of earnings caused by jury service. I know that seems odd, but it is true.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 18:28]
Login to get fewer ads

Jury Service on 19:47 - Nov 6 with 5965 viewsdickythorpe

Write a letter saying your workload is vast, get a supporting letter stating this from your manager or business owner. Put in it your going to be hit hard in the pocket as well.
Jury Service on 19:53 - Nov 6 with 5948 viewsjack2jack

Can't understand this, it's pretty much compulsory if your called.
If your out of pocket, the government should pick up the tab, after all what choice have you got, from what I gather t's not easy to get out of.
Jury Service on 20:37 - Nov 6 with 5914 viewsSirjohnalot

Jury Service on 19:53 - Nov 6 by jack2jack

Can't understand this, it's pretty much compulsory if your called.
If your out of pocket, the government should pick up the tab, after all what choice have you got, from what I gather t's not easy to get out of.

The vast majority of jury service is two weeks. That is the standard. You can be excused if you’re a student or performing a vital service, like a doctor, fireman etc or work will suffer as a result. I. I can’t domment on the expenses or reimbursement but it’s unlikely you’ll be required on a case which will last more than the two weeks of your standard service.
Jury Service on 21:02 - Nov 6 with 5871 viewsAl_Bundy

Great advice thanks all. My HR is going to contest it as its our busiest quarter of the year with Government spent so hopefully i can get it deferred.
Jury Service on 21:10 - Nov 6 with 5857 viewsA_fish_called_Swanda

Jury Service on 21:02 - Nov 6 by Al_Bundy

Great advice thanks all. My HR is going to contest it as its our busiest quarter of the year with Government spent so hopefully i can get it deferred.

You're probably already aware of this due to the paperwork you would have received but If you defer it you will get called again within a set amount of time, 12 months I think it was. Deferring just delays it I believe.
Jury Service on 21:13 - Nov 6 with 5850 viewshobo

Absolute madness if they don't cover your full earnings, with expenses on top
Jury Service on 21:19 - Nov 6 with 5837 viewsLohengrin

Jury Service on 20:37 - Nov 6 by Sirjohnalot

The vast majority of jury service is two weeks. That is the standard. You can be excused if you’re a student or performing a vital service, like a doctor, fireman etc or work will suffer as a result. I. I can’t domment on the expenses or reimbursement but it’s unlikely you’ll be required on a case which will last more than the two weeks of your standard service.

Is there a list, a category of folk who are exempt from being called up, I mean apart from axe murderers and the like? I can’t ever recall hearing of anybody in the public eye having been called on?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Jury Service on 21:19 - Nov 6 with 5837 viewsmonmouth

I wore a chalkstripe suit, did the fuhrer slicked down hairstyle, and said I was an accountant. I was refused toot sweet. This was around 30 years ago, so no idea what the score is nowadays.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Jury Service on 21:22 - Nov 6 with 5832 viewsraynor94

Jury Service on 21:02 - Nov 6 by Al_Bundy

What type of company do you work for, that would make you take unpaid leave

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Jury Service on 21:23 - Nov 6 with 5832 viewsexiledclaseboy

I’m 47 and never been called. I don’t think I’m on any kind of banned list. I know people who have been called twice. I fancy a go. I’d like to be on the same jury as Lohengrin. I’d be Henry Fonda to his Jack Klugman.

Poll: Tory leader

Jury Service on 21:29 - Nov 6 with 5814 viewsLohengrin

Jury Service on 21:23 - Nov 6 by exiledclaseboy

I’m 47 and never been called. I don’t think I’m on any kind of banned list. I know people who have been called twice. I fancy a go. I’d like to be on the same jury as Lohengrin. I’d be Henry Fonda to his Jack Klugman.

Ha! That is wasted on most on here.

For what it’s worth I’m older than you and haven’t been called either. I suspect that’s because you are a former, teenage Bolshevik and I would prove too distracting to female members of the court.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Jury Service on 21:33 - Nov 6 with 5808 viewsexiledclaseboy

Jury Service on 21:29 - Nov 6 by Lohengrin

Ha! That is wasted on most on here.

For what it’s worth I’m older than you and haven’t been called either. I suspect that’s because you are a former, teenage Bolshevik and I would prove too distracting to female members of the court.

One of those things is undoubtedly true.

Poll: Tory leader

Jury Service on 22:00 - Nov 6 with 5779 viewsWarwickHunt

Been called twice - the first time was only a week as it was the first week after the Xmas recess. Only did a day and a half. Second was a VAT ‘carousel’ fraud - took 4-5 days in the middle of the two weeks and was then let off.

They will warn you if they expect a long case. They are usually quite sympathetic.

Be prepared to sit around waiting for long periods.

I realised why people opt for a jury - one or two will be gullible/bleeding hearts and you may get a real thicko too...
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 22:18]
Jury Service on 22:01 - Nov 6 with 5778 viewsPacemaker

I was called and objected to by the defence for every trial I was selected for and was released by the judge after a week on the basis I was never going to be used.

It was a bit surreal because I am certain I would have been totally objective and let justice take its course.

The reality is that for anyone who attends any of our Crown Courts to hear the evidence is that the majority of evidence is deliberately broken down to be mind numbingly boring.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Jury Service on 06:27 - Nov 7 with 5642 viewsSirjohnalot

Jury Service on 22:01 - Nov 6 by Pacemaker

I was called and objected to by the defence for every trial I was selected for and was released by the judge after a week on the basis I was never going to be used.

It was a bit surreal because I am certain I would have been totally objective and let justice take its course.

The reality is that for anyone who attends any of our Crown Courts to hear the evidence is that the majority of evidence is deliberately broken down to be mind numbingly boring.

That must have been a long time ago as the defence can’t do that anymore and haven’t for many years.

Sometimes evidence is boring, we make it deliberately so.
Jury Service on 10:54 - Nov 7 with 5561 viewscontroversial_jack

I have done it once, and it is very much like the film
Jury Service on 20:35 - Nov 7 with 5409 viewsSwanzay

My friend completed Jury service yesterday in Swansea, apparently he/will be reimbursed his full salary for the 2.5 weeks of the trail.
His job is London based, so a decent salary.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024