Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jury Service 16:46 - Nov 6 with 7765 viewsAl_Bundy

Anybody on here being summoned to jury service? I've got to do this in Jan 2019 and pretty pissed off about it. My company said its unpaid leave and could last between 10-200 days. There is some claim back you can apply for as loss of earnings but nowhere near what i earn.

Any escape routes recommended ?
Jury Service on 20:42 - Nov 7 with 1569 viewsDr_Winston

Never been called either. Not sure what the point would be as I'd probably have met and dealt with a goodly chunk of the defendants.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Jury Service on 20:54 - Nov 7 with 1549 viewsbyron

Jury Service on 20:42 - Nov 7 by Dr_Winston

Never been called either. Not sure what the point would be as I'd probably have met and dealt with a goodly chunk of the defendants.

I’ve got out of it twice. Once I was fortunately travelling in the back of beyond and no one knew how to contact me for 6 months, the second my work got me out of it. If you have an exceptional job that no one can replace you at that time, you might be let off. Due to stuff going on at the time in the world, not long after the twin towers came down, my line of work was busy.

Benny

Jury Service on 21:38 - Nov 7 with 1524 viewsSwanzay

Jury Service on 20:54 - Nov 7 by byron

I’ve got out of it twice. Once I was fortunately travelling in the back of beyond and no one knew how to contact me for 6 months, the second my work got me out of it. If you have an exceptional job that no one can replace you at that time, you might be let off. Due to stuff going on at the time in the world, not long after the twin towers came down, my line of work was busy.

Working on the cover up?
Jury Service on 22:43 - Nov 7 with 1497 viewsLord_Bony

Had a call-up letter to attend in Cardiff about 20 years ago.

Can't remember what the excuse was but I wrote back and it was ok think it was along the lines my business needs me or something like that.

I recall seemed to be easy to get out of.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Jury Service on 22:57 - Nov 7 with 1484 viewsLord_Bony

Jury Service on 22:00 - Nov 6 by WarwickHunt

Been called twice - the first time was only a week as it was the first week after the Xmas recess. Only did a day and a half. Second was a VAT ‘carousel’ fraud - took 4-5 days in the middle of the two weeks and was then let off.

They will warn you if they expect a long case. They are usually quite sympathetic.

Be prepared to sit around waiting for long periods.

I realised why people opt for a jury - one or two will be gullible/bleeding hearts and you may get a real thicko too...
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 22:18]

"I realised why people opt for a jury - one or two will be gullible/bleeding hearts and you may get a real thicko too..."

Its a frightening thought someone's life is in the hands of jurors like this.

A miscarriage of justice could easily go either way.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Jury Service on 23:54 - Nov 7 with 1447 viewsBarryTownSwam

Jury Service on 22:43 - Nov 7 by Lord_Bony

Can't remember what the excuse was but I wrote back and it was ok think it was along the lines my business needs me or something like that.

Not sure if any lists of exempt jobs and/or circumstances exist but I bet you’d be excused if you sent your reply back with a few choice comments added - something along the lines of “it is an honour to perform my public duty and I hope I get the chance to put one more lazy, dishonest (inset racial stereotype here) in jail and hope my service brings the return of the death penalty one step closer”.

There’s an opt out for people expressing extreme views .....!! They won’t take the chance and will play safe by not calling you.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 23:54]
Jury Service on 00:24 - Nov 8 with 1439 viewsjacktar

Jury Service on 23:54 - Nov 7 by BarryTownSwam

Not sure if any lists of exempt jobs and/or circumstances exist but I bet you’d be excused if you sent your reply back with a few choice comments added - something along the lines of “it is an honour to perform my public duty and I hope I get the chance to put one more lazy, dishonest (inset racial stereotype here) in jail and hope my service brings the return of the death penalty one step closer”.

There’s an opt out for people expressing extreme views .....!! They won’t take the chance and will play safe by not calling you.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 23:54]

Also if you claim to suffer with, and / or have missed work through stress or depression they will probably excuse. Not exactly pleading insanity but apparently it works.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Jury Service on 07:46 - Nov 8 with 1379 viewsDr_Winston

Jury Service on 22:57 - Nov 7 by Lord_Bony

"I realised why people opt for a jury - one or two will be gullible/bleeding hearts and you may get a real thicko too..."

Its a frightening thought someone's life is in the hands of jurors like this.

A miscarriage of justice could easily go either way.

Said as much in another thread recently. The idea of having my guilt or innocence decided by the average person these days is terrifying.

Either jurors should be professional (i.e. being a juror is their full time job) and trained in a specific field such as financial crime or murder, or a panel of judges should do it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Jury Service on 08:55 - Nov 8 with 1356 viewspikeypaul

Jury Service on 07:46 - Nov 8 by Dr_Winston

Said as much in another thread recently. The idea of having my guilt or innocence decided by the average person these days is terrifying.

Either jurors should be professional (i.e. being a juror is their full time job) and trained in a specific field such as financial crime or murder, or a panel of judges should do it.

100%

It should not be left to joe public.

You get the idiots and also the know it all pricks who think they are and know better than the rest of the jury who’s opinions should not count.

Pretty much like the remoaners here.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 9:21]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Jury Service on 09:14 - Nov 8 with 1345 viewsWarwickHunt

Jury Service on 07:46 - Nov 8 by Dr_Winston

You’d be more likely to get off in my experience - we had to convince a few that the screamingly obviously guilty defendant was guilty. One bloke had the IQ of a cabbage, one woman actually said “ I dunno, he seems like a nice bloke”, another bought his simpleton act ( a fûcking VAT carousel fraud case!) because her son had learning difficulties and another was concerned he might go to jail if convicted.
Jury Service on 09:18 - Nov 8 with 1342 viewsbyron

Jury Service on 22:43 - Nov 7 by Lord_Bony

It’s much harder now I believe.
Just remembered what a mate did about 10 years ago, he said he was a heroin addict, he was off straight away....lol
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 9:21]

Benny

Jury Service on 16:46 - Nov 8 with 1280 viewsalltjack

Got away with it twice , about 8 years ago and about 3 years ago
Told them I ran my own small business and I had 1 employee and that we worked as a team . If I attended jury service he couldnt work and would have to be laid off
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 17:03]
Jury Service on 17:50 - Nov 8 with 1254 viewsPacemaker

Jury Service on 06:27 - Nov 7 by Sirjohnalot

That must have been a long time ago as the defence can’t do that anymore and haven’t for many years.

Sometimes evidence is boring, we make it deliberately so.

Perhaps 15 years ago, I was well known within the local legal profession and in their opinion it would be very difficult for me to be objective and I may sway others due to my knowledge and experience.

They can and do still object by basically getting both sides drawing up a list of questions for the judge to read out to the jury, mostly common sense such as do you know the defendant or any of the witnesses but also have you worked in certain areas or fields of work.

Just trying to be fair.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Jury Service on 20:38 - Nov 8 with 1217 viewsSirjohnalot

Jury Service on 17:50 - Nov 8 by Pacemaker

Perhaps 15 years ago, I was well known within the local legal profession and in their opinion it would be very difficult for me to be objective and I may sway others due to my knowledge and experience.

They can and do still object by basically getting both sides drawing up a list of questions for the judge to read out to the jury, mostly common sense such as do you know the defendant or any of the witnesses but also have you worked in certain areas or fields of work.

Just trying to be fair.

I’ve never been asked to write a list of questions. The whole point of the jury system is that it’s random.

Other than if you know witnesses,, barristers etc Defence can’t object
Jury Service on 22:41 - Nov 8 with 1184 viewsPacemaker

Jury Service on 20:38 - Nov 8 by Sirjohnalot

I’ve never been asked to write a list of questions. The whole point of the jury system is that it’s random.

Other than if you know witnesses,, barristers etc Defence can’t object

I guess it depends on the type of offences being tried, I have certainly had fairly recent examples in CC where both prosecution and defence have had the judge to name witnesses and defendant, asked if they have bought goods or services from a company involved in a fraud, lived in a specific area where a murder took place and numerous other examples.

As you rightly point out the whole point of the jury system is to be tried by a jury of your peers, equally the judge has to ensure the trial is fair and this is where these questions have probably risen from.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024