Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimes Until 2022 17:16 - Nov 7 with 5923 viewsTheKirkyLife

On a roll now!
Grimes Until 2022 on 17:18 - Nov 7 with 4629 viewsairedale

Yup, people will have to pay good money if they want him now.
Grimes Until 2022 on 17:24 - Nov 7 with 4591 viewsmonmouth

Absolutely incredible that this is good news. If there was ever a testament to Graham Potter, Matthew Grimes is it. He was done. Nowhe's one of the first names on the teamsheet and I'd like to see him develop as our anchor in the midfield. He's been a better left back than Olsson or John too.

Dan James and Connor Roberts next please. I suppose this is more down to whether they want to, or whether they can see greener grass.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Grimes Until 2022 on 17:30 - Nov 7 with 4575 viewshobo

Excellent
Grimes Until 2022 on 17:31 - Nov 7 with 4570 viewsjasper_T

Grimes Until 2022 on 17:24 - Nov 7 by monmouth

Absolutely incredible that this is good news. If there was ever a testament to Graham Potter, Matthew Grimes is it. He was done. Nowhe's one of the first names on the teamsheet and I'd like to see him develop as our anchor in the midfield. He's been a better left back than Olsson or John too.

Dan James and Connor Roberts next please. I suppose this is more down to whether they want to, or whether they can see greener grass.

Grimes would be the one player you can definitely say Potter has brought on well. The other young players had either already played well at this level (or higher) or were simply untested and have carried their U23s form through to senior football, but in Grimes case it's a genuine transformation.

Had a few Leeds fans laughing at the idea that he would be part of our squad at the start of the season. But a few nightmare moments aside (that pass late on at Wigan...) he's been excellent.
Grimes Until 2022 on 17:38 - Nov 7 with 4534 viewsairedale

After the PL, I’m more philosophical about people coming and going in the playing staff. To me, longer contracts means more money in the event of a sale.

The possible down side of course is replacing quality players sold with dross.
Grimes Until 2022 on 17:39 - Nov 7 with 4527 viewsItchySphincter

Excellent news!!

The official 'Matthew Grimes is going to be a top player for us' thread. by ItchySphincter 22 Sep 2018 13:10
Feel free to sling your sh!t in here.

I said it first.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Grimes Until 2022 on 17:54 - Nov 7 with 4491 viewsjackrmee

Grimes Until 2022 on 17:31 - Nov 7 by jasper_T

Grimes would be the one player you can definitely say Potter has brought on well. The other young players had either already played well at this level (or higher) or were simply untested and have carried their U23s form through to senior football, but in Grimes case it's a genuine transformation.

Had a few Leeds fans laughing at the idea that he would be part of our squad at the start of the season. But a few nightmare moments aside (that pass late on at Wigan...) he's been excellent.

The one player? Duw duw.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:00 - Nov 7 with 4463 viewsLeonWasGod

If I was him, I’d celebrate with a shave. And then try again for the beard in a few years time
Login to get fewer ads

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:13 - Nov 7 with 4432 viewsTailGunner

Grimes Until 2022 on 17:54 - Nov 7 by jackrmee

The one player? Duw duw.

He's absolutely pathetic. He's insinuating Potter is not improving the lads who have come through the academy.
Potter getting praise lavished on him by all players young and old.

Pathetic...yet again.
Grimes Until 2022 on 18:22 - Nov 7 with 4406 viewsjasper_T

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:13 - Nov 7 by TailGunner

He's absolutely pathetic. He's insinuating Potter is not improving the lads who have come through the academy.
Potter getting praise lavished on him by all players young and old.

Pathetic...yet again.

When you go looking for an agenda it's easy to find one. And even easier to miss the point.

Grimes is the proof that Potter is doing good work. All the other standouts (McBurnie, Celina, Roberts, vdH, James etc.) played well last season, either in this division, or the Premier League, or PL2 but simply didn't get a chance to play at senior level (the stomping of Notts County doesn't really count), so you can point to that and wonder if he's just been lucky to inherit a good squad of talented players (which he has).

Grimes on the other hand was a proven poor player at this level (Leeds, Blackburn) who Potter showed special interest in playing very early on, and it's paying off. He looks the part now.
Grimes Until 2022 on 18:26 - Nov 7 with 4392 viewsjasper_T

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:32 - Nov 7 with 4374 views34dfgdf54

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:22 - Nov 7 by jasper_T

When you go looking for an agenda it's easy to find one. And even easier to miss the point.

Grimes is the proof that Potter is doing good work. All the other standouts (McBurnie, Celina, Roberts, vdH, James etc.) played well last season, either in this division, or the Premier League, or PL2 but simply didn't get a chance to play at senior level (the stomping of Notts County doesn't really count), so you can point to that and wonder if he's just been lucky to inherit a good squad of talented players (which he has).

Grimes on the other hand was a proven poor player at this level (Leeds, Blackburn) who Potter showed special interest in playing very early on, and it's paying off. He looks the part now.

Fulton
Grimes Until 2022 on 19:21 - Nov 7 with 4269 viewsjasper_T

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:32 - Nov 7 by 34dfgdf54

Fulton

Still not sure about Fulton. Has had good games and bad this season.

I genuinely thought he'd look the part as our boring reliable holding mid (like in the win away at Southampton a few years back) but that idea didn't last 45 minutes.
Grimes Until 2022 on 20:24 - Nov 7 with 4146 viewsFlashberryjack

Grimes Until 2022 on 19:21 - Nov 7 by jasper_T

Still not sure about Fulton. Has had good games and bad this season.

I genuinely thought he'd look the part as our boring reliable holding mid (like in the win away at Southampton a few years back) but that idea didn't last 45 minutes.

I really like Fullton, he's going to be a top player for us IMO

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Grimes Until 2022 on 21:02 - Nov 7 with 4072 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Grimes Until 2022 on 20:24 - Nov 7 by Flashberryjack

I really like Fullton, he's going to be a top player for us IMO

I think Grimes playing behind Fulton (playing box to box and acting as Grimes' minder) gives us tremendous impetus and go forward. And neither, like Celina is shy to shoot either, which is what we could do with a bit more of.

That gives the extra yard advantage for the front four (Wingers/Celina/McBurnie) that will get us scoring regularly. Grimes is will also orchestrate moves from deep and if he plays the odd duff ball we have to be patient. We're so close to having that all conquering line up, like a volcano waiting to erupt.

If Bony and Jeff are on the bench and play any part on Saturday then we may have a serious eruption in the Blackburn area !

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Grimes Until 2022 on 21:34 - Nov 7 with 4027 viewsHighjack

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:26 - Nov 7 by jasper_T

Leeds fan so automatic bellend.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Grimes Until 2022 on 21:39 - Nov 7 with 4012 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Grimes Until 2022 on 21:34 - Nov 7 by Highjack

Leeds fan so automatic bellend.

Sussed that just by looking at the way he spelt Citizen. The utter dong head

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Grimes Until 2022 on 22:41 - Nov 7 with 3910 viewslonglostjack

If their agents had any sense and are interested in their long term development they’d be getting them to put pen to paper. A contract term his hardly binding these days anyway. I hope that Dan and Connor are well represented.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Grimes Until 2022 on 22:55 - Nov 7 with 3875 viewsjackrmee

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:22 - Nov 7 by jasper_T

So Potter hasn't brought on any of the other boys?
"McBurnie, Celina, Roberts, vdH, James etc." were all showing such promise and playing such great football, as a team last season?

I don't think Potter has shown special interest in Grimes. He's shown them all interest and this is what they have shown him in return.

Was Roberts nailed on in the Wales side last year?
Would Joe or Dan James have dreamed of playing for Wales this time last year?
Would Celina have been showing such charisma if he was still at Man City?

Montero, Fulton, McBurnie, Naughton, Mulder...
He hasn't brought these boys on?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Grimes Until 2022 on 00:41 - Nov 8 with 3798 viewsjasper_T

Grimes Until 2022 on 22:55 - Nov 7 by jackrmee

"McBurnie, Celina, Roberts, vdH, James etc." were all showing such promise and playing such great football, as a team last season?

I don't think Potter has shown special interest in Grimes. He's shown them all interest and this is what they have shown him in return.

"So Potter hasn't brought on any of the other boys? "

That's not my position, no. But when some are still claiming that we would be in the relegation zone but for the genius Graham Potter it's worth pointing out how well most of our new first 11 or so were doing before he arrived. Grimes is one of few you can look at and say there's a big improvement that has to be credited to Potter's team, because he'd had two spells in the Championship and still takes pelters for both. He'd had plenty of chances and hadn't made the grade.

Playing Grimes at left back on the preseason tour felt like special interest given that we had three players with experience playing the position available to fill in for Olsson (had John signed at that point? He was injured either way). At the time it seemed like Potter simply preferred a left-footer there to Roberts, Naughton or Lewis, given that he gave Ryan Blair a try there too, but it looks like more than that now.

Celina scored 8 in 35 for Ipswich last season under Mick McCarthy, so any manager more progressive than him would have done just fine with Bersant. Good for Twente the season before as well. Would have had no shortage of suitors for another loan at the very least. Two impressive senior seasons under his belt.

Barnsley got more out of McBurnie than Potter has managed so far. Their system suited him better, I think.

Joe and Dan didn't fly out to LA for the Mexico and Uruguay games but they were part of the 32 man training squad beforehand. So they were certainly in dare to dream range. Beginning of last season James was starting ahead of Brooks for the U21s against Portugal (Sanches had a shocker, Brooks came on second half and lit the game up).

Roberts not nailed on ahead of Gunter but he was the people's first choice right back here before the season's end.

Naughton did okay under Carvalhal. vdH was our best defender last season. Montero did what Montero has always been able to do in two games and then shattered into a thousand pieces again. There's nothing dramatic there to suggest they're not looking more comfortable simply because they're now playing down a division.
Grimes Until 2022 on 01:07 - Nov 8 with 3789 viewsPozuelosSideys

Grimes Until 2022 on 22:55 - Nov 7 by jackrmee

I think hes just using Grimes as the prime example of Potters good work mate. Grimes was pretty much seen as a dud by all of us and all the clubs he went on loan to. Somehow Potter saw the player in there and is teasing it out. Hes done a fantastic job so far with most of the others too.

Potter is showing the difference between an excellent coach like he is, and fcking terrible ones we have had since Mike the Dane left.

Id even go as far as to say i bet Potter would have made Renato Sanches look like the superstar he could be

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Grimes Until 2022 on 09:43 - Nov 9 with 3519 viewsjackrmee

Grimes Until 2022 on 00:41 - Nov 8 by jasper_T

That's not my position, no. But when some are still claiming that we would be in the relegation zone but for the genius Graham Potter it's worth pointing out how well most of our new first 11 or so were doing before he arrived. Grimes is one of few you can look at and say there's a big improvement that has to be credited to Potter's team, because he'd had two spells in the Championship and still takes pelters for both. He'd had plenty of chances and hadn't made the grade.

Playing Grimes at left back on the preseason tour felt like special interest given that we had three players with experience playing the position available to fill in for Olsson (had John signed at that point? He was injured either way). At the time it seemed like Potter simply preferred a left-footer there to Roberts, Naughton or Lewis, given that he gave Ryan Blair a try there too, but it looks like more than that now.

Celina scored 8 in 35 for Ipswich last season under Mick McCarthy, so any manager more progressive than him would have done just fine with Bersant. Good for Twente the season before as well. Would have had no shortage of suitors for another loan at the very least. Two impressive senior seasons under his belt.

Barnsley got more out of McBurnie than Potter has managed so far. Their system suited him better, I think.

Joe and Dan didn't fly out to LA for the Mexico and Uruguay games but they were part of the 32 man training squad beforehand. So they were certainly in dare to dream range. Beginning of last season James was starting ahead of Brooks for the U21s against Portugal (Sanches had a shocker, Brooks came on second half and lit the game up).

Roberts not nailed on ahead of Gunter but he was the people's first choice right back here before the season's end.

Naughton did okay under Carvalhal. vdH was our best defender last season. Montero did what Montero has always been able to do in two games and then shattered into a thousand pieces again. There's nothing dramatic there to suggest they're not looking more comfortable simply because they're now playing down a division.

I get your point and you made it well, but I don't think any of these players would be performing like this under any manager. They might have had decent seasons individually at various levels last year, but now they are playing together, with fluidity and guile.

I don't believe Grimes has had special treatment, as I think GP wanted to try many players in different positions.
He has done that to a fantastic degree.

Celina has been tried in a few positions. I think GP has found his best.
I remember Mick McCarthy saying on the radio during one of Swans games this year that GP should play him on the left wing, as that's definitely his best position.

Didn't McBurnie play on the wing fo Barnsley most of the time?
Possibly agree with you here for now, but he's scored 7 already and is only going to improve imo with some help up there.

Your knowledge on the u23s is better than mine, but do you really think Joe and DJ would have progressed so quickly under a different manager? Did you really see them at the point they are now when you were watching them last season? Did you think it would happen so quick?

Grimes Until 2022 on 09:54 - Nov 9 with 3510 viewsLeonWasGod

Grimes Until 2022 on 18:26 - Nov 7 by jasper_T

That's nice. Bitter Leeds fan I take it 😂

And a 'grown' man on Twitter posting like a 13 year old. What has the world come to? Where did decorum and intelligence go?
Grimes Until 2022 on 10:00 - Nov 9 with 3504 viewsjackrmee

Grimes Until 2022 on 09:54 - Nov 9 by LeonWasGod

That's nice. Bitter Leeds fan I take it 😂

And a 'grown' man on Twitter posting like a 13 year old. What has the world come to? Where did decorum and intelligence go?

Think the grown men on this forum took all the decorum and intelligence mate

Grimes Until 2022 on 10:00 - Nov 9 with 3505 viewsmonmouth

Grimes Until 2022 on 00:41 - Nov 8 by jasper_T

'Potter's team' Hmm.

You seem determined to give no praise at all to Graham Potter.

Now I'm not saying that I have any idea who has done what with these players, but whatever the position the effect since Graham Potter came in, the shape we are in now, and our direction of travel looks better than for many years. Irrespective of what went before that wasn't happening until Potter came in. Therefore Potter is part, probably the main part of the regime that has to be kept. Do you agree, or do you know better?

I get the distinct impression that you are spectacularly resentful of Potter getting any praise as you feel it should all be going elsewhere. Tosh Jnr?, Waggy?. Jenkins? Yanks? I'm not saying you are wrong (although I think you must be, given how the whole seascape has changed), as I have no idea who is doing what, I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint. Sometimes you give the impression, to me at least, that you just seem to want to undermine Potter for some reason.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024