Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting article from Stuart 10:14 - Nov 9 with 5126 viewsmonmouth

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/09/premier-league-top-five-bottom-

It's true what he says, statistically and visibly. The bottom 5 (or 7 really) are utter dogshite. We would have survived pretty easily this year, even with last year's dross, possibly even with the hopeless Clement.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Interesting article from Stuart on 11:58 - Nov 9 with 5005 viewswhiterock

Good article, what's worrying is that there are 5 poor clubs, two are going to survive, should one of them be .... surely not
Interesting article from Stuart on 12:11 - Nov 9 with 4980 viewsDr_Winston

Think he's reading a bit too much into the situation. The Premier League juat happens to have a particularly piss poor bunch of teams in it this season, hence the discrepancy in performance bwtween top and bottom. It's not always like this, indeed it rarely is.

Four or five consecutive years like this and he might have a point.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Interesting article from Stuart on 12:20 - Nov 9 with 4944 viewsLeonWasGod

Interesting article from Stuart on 12:11 - Nov 9 by Dr_Winston

Think he's reading a bit too much into the situation. The Premier League juat happens to have a particularly piss poor bunch of teams in it this season, hence the discrepancy in performance bwtween top and bottom. It's not always like this, indeed it rarely is.

Four or five consecutive years like this and he might have a point.

I think it's been coming for a few seasons. Since City, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs, and now Chelsea have sorted out their manager posts, it they've all pushed on to another level. Liverpool and Man City especially, and now Chelsea seem to have it right and Man U have become much harder to beat under Mourinho.

We were quite lucky that for several years we were playing these clubs when they weren't at their best.
Interesting article from Stuart on 12:42 - Nov 9 with 4909 viewsDr_Winston

Interesting article from Stuart on 12:20 - Nov 9 by LeonWasGod

I think it's been coming for a few seasons. Since City, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs, and now Chelsea have sorted out their manager posts, it they've all pushed on to another level. Liverpool and Man City especially, and now Chelsea seem to have it right and Man U have become much harder to beat under Mourinho.

We were quite lucky that for several years we were playing these clubs when they weren't at their best.

Perhaps. As I say, time will tell if this season is a blip or a trend.

In any case, the league is still massively more competitive than most out there IMO. There are five or six teams in the PL with the resouces and structure capable of winning a title (both Manchesters, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Spurs). Compare that to three or four teams in Spain, or the tedious dominance of teams like Juve, Bayern and PSG elsewhere. Champions League money is largely to blame for that.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Interesting article from Stuart on 13:17 - Nov 9 with 4839 viewsairedale

I think that the smaller clubs should have a wage cap of say £20k per week. That way they can run their clubs for their own benefit rather than for the benefit of players and their agents. Club owners should behave responsibly too, and not trouser huge wads of cash.

The PL imo, is no great shakes, I find the Championship much better value.
Interesting article from Stuart on 13:43 - Nov 9 with 4788 viewsDewi1jack

Interesting article from Stuart on 12:20 - Nov 9 by LeonWasGod

"We were quite lucky that for several years we were playing these clubs when they weren't at their best."

You can only play what's in front of you.
Maybe because we were at times playing our best as a collective unit, even last season in certain games, is why we managed to beat the top end teams.
Same goes for all the bottom teams in the last few years.

The likes of our Eastern cousins seem to be willing to park the bus this season, praying that God likes watching boring football against the top teams and gives them a 0-0 draw.
Like looking at Rabbits in the headlamps watching the bottom end teams against even mid table.
Some of the bottom end don't even appear to be trying to play as a team. Some of the players believe they're there instead of a team (Andre Ayew for us?)
Just a collection of individuals, picking up tidy wage packets for sweet F**k all.
So no change there for a lot of mercs, sorry, players

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Interesting article from Stuart on 13:47 - Nov 9 with 4784 viewsbluey_the_blue

Parked the bus? Which games were those then?

Man City, Liverpool granted had to set up more defensive than usual but Warnock has publicly stated we don't park the bus because defensively we're not good enough to do that for 90 minutes.
Interesting article from Stuart on 14:12 - Nov 9 with 4740 viewsDewi1jack

Interesting article from Stuart on 13:47 - Nov 9 by bluey_the_blue

Man City, Liverpool granted had to set up more defensive than usual but Warnock has publicly stated we don't park the bus because defensively we're not good enough to do that for 90 minutes.

When you score 9 goals all season so far (6 in 2 games alone) you must be trying to park the bus.
Because you're certainly not trying to score

And with the amount of goals you're shipping per game (more than us under Brad Bobbly I think) I think the bus has broken down halfway across the goal as well.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting article from Stuart on 14:15 - Nov 9 with 4739 viewsmonmouth

Interesting article from Stuart on 13:47 - Nov 9 by bluey_the_blue

Goal difference of -15 after 11 games. I suggest you start parking that bus!

Must win tomorrow Bluey? I think this might well be a game where you can pummel them into submission with free kicks, punterwang and long throws.

Interesting article from Stuart on 14:27 - Nov 9 with 4718 viewsbluey_the_blue

Interesting article from Stuart on 14:12 - Nov 9 by Dewi1jack

When you score 9 goals all season so far (6 in 2 games alone) you must be trying to park the bus.
Because you're certainly not trying to score

And with the amount of goals you're shipping per game (more than us under Brad Bobbly I think) I think the bus has broken down halfway across the goal as well.

We're playing with no striker and not by design.

We're played all of the top 6 in the first 11 games, we've been competitive in other matches. Just need to get someone firing up front.
Interesting article from Stuart on 14:54 - Nov 9 with 4679 viewsLeonWasGod

Interesting article from Stuart on 13:43 - Nov 9 by Dewi1jack

"We were quite lucky that for several years we were playing these clubs when they weren't at their best."

You can only play what's in front of you.
Maybe because we were at times playing our best as a collective unit, even last season in certain games, is why we managed to beat the top end teams.
Same goes for all the bottom teams in the last few years.

The likes of our Eastern cousins seem to be willing to park the bus this season, praying that God likes watching boring football against the top teams and gives them a 0-0 draw.
Like looking at Rabbits in the headlamps watching the bottom end teams against even mid table.
Some of the bottom end don't even appear to be trying to play as a team. Some of the players believe they're there instead of a team (Andre Ayew for us?)
Just a collection of individuals, picking up tidy wage packets for sweet F**k all.
So no change there for a lot of mercs, sorry, players

"You can only play what's in front of you." Agreed. That wasn't meant to downplay what we achieved. We did really well for a few years and it was a happy coincidence that around that time some of the big clubs were going through a bit of a dodgy spell (but still obviously on a different level with the quality of players, spending power, etc). It seemed more competitive generally back then, I think. Or maybe it's just we were a lot better!
Interesting article from Stuart on 15:04 - Nov 9 with 4662 viewsKGriz16

I think a lot of it has to do with the style of football and also, the way in which the 'lower' teams play against the bigger teams. Defensive. Play not to lose, rather than going out to play and win. There's a lot more to read into it that Stuart has gone into
Interesting article from Stuart on 17:14 - Nov 9 with 4514 viewsGlyn1

Interesting article from Stuart on 14:27 - Nov 9 by bluey_the_blue

We're playing with no striker and not by design.

We're played all of the top 6 in the first 11 games, we've been competitive in other matches. Just need to get someone firing up front.

I have a horrible feeling that Bluey may be correct, there are some really terrible teams around them and they may escape relegation by accident.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Interesting article from Stuart on 18:23 - Nov 9 with 4444 viewsmonmouth

Interesting article from Stuart on 17:14 - Nov 9 by Glyn1

I have a horrible feeling that Bluey may be correct, there are some really terrible teams around them and they may escape relegation by accident.

I'm torn on this one. Stay up and their wage structures and mercenary resistance must crumble. Staying up is more likely to kill them than tumbling back straight away. It's what did for us and why we have had to totally reboot, and they are starting from a position of anti football hoof the f*cker, where we ended. So much as I want to see them bottom - again, I think they might actually end up stronger for it.

Nah, bollocks, it's one of those no brainer things innit. Bottom again please.

Interesting article from Stuart on 18:32 - Nov 9 with 4426 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Time for 5 down and 5 up!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Interesting article from Stuart on 21:05 - Nov 9 with 4319 viewsCatullus

Interesting article from Stuart on 12:42 - Nov 9 by Dr_Winston

Perhaps. As I say, time will tell if this season is a blip or a trend.

In any case, the league is still massively more competitive than most out there IMO. There are five or six teams in the PL with the resouces and structure capable of winning a title (both Manchesters, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Spurs). Compare that to three or four teams in Spain, or the tedious dominance of teams like Juve, Bayern and PSG elsewhere. Champions League money is largely to blame for that.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I think we are already 3/4 seasons into that. Only the top 6 have any real quality. Wolves play good football too but haven't the squad to challenge the top end.
The bottom 7/8 are utter rubbish and I'm not really with the idea we'd survive with the current teams there because we were utter rubbish too.

As long as clubs keep spending well above their incomes simply to try and stay up we will keep seeing relegated clubs in our position. Or we'll see the Cardiff approach more often and the EPL will look poor which, looking long term, will have an effect on audiences.
As for 6 teams who can win it, I reckon there are 2/3 Man City, Chelsea and this season Liverpool. The other 3, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd are also rans right now. Though Spurs are the best of the rest and if they find some bottle may have a proper go.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Interesting article from Stuart on 21:11 - Nov 9 with 4307 viewsDr_Winston

Interesting article from Stuart on 21:05 - Nov 9 by Catullus

I think we are already 3/4 seasons into that. Only the top 6 have any real quality. Wolves play good football too but haven't the squad to challenge the top end.
The bottom 7/8 are utter rubbish and I'm not really with the idea we'd survive with the current teams there because we were utter rubbish too.

As long as clubs keep spending well above their incomes simply to try and stay up we will keep seeing relegated clubs in our position. Or we'll see the Cardiff approach more often and the EPL will look poor which, looking long term, will have an effect on audiences.
As for 6 teams who can win it, I reckon there are 2/3 Man City, Chelsea and this season Liverpool. The other 3, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd are also rans right now. Though Spurs are the best of the rest and if they find some bottle may have a proper go.

We finished top ten in the PL less than four seasons ago, and look at us now. Leicester won the title since then too.

When I said six teams who can win it, I didn't necessarily mean this season. Obviously Man Utd & Arsenal are off the pace, but both sides have proven they can win titles and given a year or two could do so again. I mention Spurs as a maybe purely because their new stadium seems like a bit of a mess and the finances could catch up to them.

Teams have to go into the Premier League with a plan that consists of more than spending, like we did before we abandoned ours.

Interesting article from Stuart on 22:18 - Nov 9 with 4251 viewsGaryjack

Interesting article from Stuart on 21:11 - Nov 9 by Dr_Winston

We finished top ten in the PL less than four seasons ago, and look at us now. Leicester won the title since then too.

When I said six teams who can win it, I didn't necessarily mean this season. Obviously Man Utd & Arsenal are off the pace, but both sides have proven they can win titles and given a year or two could do so again. I mention Spurs as a maybe purely because their new stadium seems like a bit of a mess and the finances could catch up to them.

Teams have to go into the Premier League with a plan that consists of more than spending, like we did before we abandoned ours.

"Teams have to go into the Premier League with a plan that consists of more than spending, like we did before we abandoned ours."

Sorry Doc. Clubs can plan all they like, bottom line is, the Premier league will drain your resources in the end. Southampton are the prime example. Once lauded for their academies, they've been stripped to the bone by the bigger clubs and the players agents. I never believed a Super Euro League would work, but it's coming as domestic football is dying on it's arse. Football is eating itself alive.
Interesting article from Stuart on 22:24 - Nov 9 with 4242 viewsDr_Winston

Interesting article from Stuart on 22:18 - Nov 9 by Garyjack

"Teams have to go into the Premier League with a plan that consists of more than spending, like we did before we abandoned ours."

Sorry Doc. Clubs can plan all they like, bottom line is, the Premier league will drain your resources in the end. Southampton are the prime example. Once lauded for their academies, they've been stripped to the bone by the bigger clubs and the players agents. I never believed a Super Euro League would work, but it's coming as domestic football is dying on it's arse. Football is eating itself alive.

I disagree.

In fact, a league where the top six become more dominant should play into the hands of a smartly run club as the stupid ones who overspend and keep changing things end up falling by the wayside. Just like we did.

There's a big space between top six and bottom three. A space we could have inhabited quite nicely for a long time if we hadn't f*cked everything up with greed and bad decision making.

Interesting article from Stuart on 23:08 - Nov 9 with 4208 viewsGaryjack

Interesting article from Stuart on 22:24 - Nov 9 by Dr_Winston

I disagree.

In fact, a league where the top six become more dominant should play into the hands of a smartly run club as the stupid ones who overspend and keep changing things end up falling by the wayside. Just like we did.

There's a big space between top six and bottom three. A space we could have inhabited quite nicely for a long time if we hadn't f*cked everything up with greed and bad decision making.

You've explained your point a lot better there. But i still think it's only a matter of time before the big clubs in Europe form a super league. There simply isn't the competition domestically the way things have gone money wise. So no matter what plan you have in place, it ain't gonna matter in a few years as the big clubs will be gone and domestic football will change beyond all recognition as clubs like us Bournemouth, Watford etc will never be able to sit at the top table again.
Interesting article from Stuart on 23:19 - Nov 9 with 4189 viewsairedale

Interesting article from Stuart on 23:08 - Nov 9 by Garyjack

You've explained your point a lot better there. But i still think it's only a matter of time before the big clubs in Europe form a super league. There simply isn't the competition domestically the way things have gone money wise. So no matter what plan you have in place, it ain't gonna matter in a few years as the big clubs will be gone and domestic football will change beyond all recognition as clubs like us Bournemouth, Watford etc will never be able to sit at the top table again.

So with the big clubs gone, who is gonna be at the big table?
Interesting article from Stuart on 23:27 - Nov 9 with 4176 viewsGaryjack

Interesting article from Stuart on 23:19 - Nov 9 by airedale

[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 23:31]
Interesting article from Stuart on 07:39 - Nov 10 with 4075 viewsDr_Winston

Interesting article from Stuart on 23:19 - Nov 9 by airedale

The medium sized clubs?

You'd imagine that the big TV money would follow the big teams, so we'd basically end up back where we were before the PL existed, minus a few sides.

Interesting article from Stuart on 10:02 - Nov 10 with 4003 viewsCatullus

Interesting article from Stuart on 21:11 - Nov 9 by Dr_Winston

Yes we finished top ten but there was some dross beneath us, which we soon joined. Leicester were a once in a few decades miracle, the right manager, the right players and crucially the right owner made a perfect mix.
Spurs may well suffer the same as Arsenal, the owner might choose to concentrate on the stadium debt before spending a lot on the team.
It's the spending that's the issue. No other team, not even those with big grounds (Newcastle, Sunderland) can spend like the Manchesters, Liverpool or Chelsea. Even Arsenal and Spurs can't spend like the other 4 have though Chelsea are less profligate these days whatwith Abramovich having visa issues.
The top 4/5/6 will continue to move ahead, or the rest of us will fall further behind (whichever way you look at it) because the system is tilted in their favour. Even FFP is in favour of the bigger clubs.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Interesting article from Stuart on 17:06 - Nov 10 with 3904 viewsRevJames

Excellent feature.

It's only called 'the promised land' and 'most competitive league in the world' by the TV sports media.

Our last 3 years became boringly predictable, on and off the pitch
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024