Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 20:22 - Nov 10 with 3238 viewsdeepdale81

Hi, I have found 65 photographs of this match on a site called https://www.alamy.com/
If you look on the site,click on black and white icon.
and search for swansea .there are only seven pages .so their easy to find . These photos are fantastic its like watching the match. well the second half anyway.
For those who dont remember swans were winning 1-0 until alan clarke got Mel Nurse sent off. Giles penalty and Mick Jones header beating ten men Swansea 2-1.
Vic Gomersall writes about it in the new book called match of my life.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:30 - Nov 10 with 3211 viewslifelong

I was there and remember it well.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:40 - Nov 10 with 3178 viewsdeepdale81

Well If you were , there can you remember what colour were leeds wearing ,I know the swans were in red . but in the black and white photos its doesn't seem to be white?
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:47 - Nov 10 with 3154 viewsmonmouth

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:40 - Nov 10 by deepdale81

Well If you were , there can you remember what colour were leeds wearing ,I know the swans were in red . but in the black and white photos its doesn't seem to be white?

Leeds were in all white that day, unless my 11 year old self was on crack.

Clarke was a slimy little shit, but Jones was a hell of a player. We could have shaken football to its roots that day. Apart from Swindon Arsenal those things didn’t tend to happen. Colchester and Hereford did it instead. If you’re young it’s really hard to get across the impact of the FA Cup in those days. The equal of the league championship then imo.

Ps I should know not to be this certain, after all, maybe I was on crack...
[Post edited 10 Nov 2018 20:52]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:52 - Nov 10 with 3124 viewslifelong

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:40 - Nov 10 by deepdale81

Perhaps the photos have faded.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:57 - Nov 10 with 3112 viewsploppy

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:47 - Nov 10 by monmouth

Leeds were in all white that day, unless my 11 year old self was on crack.

Clarke was a slimy little shit, but Jones was a hell of a player. We could have shaken football to its roots that day. Apart from Swindon Arsenal those things didn’t tend to happen. Colchester and Hereford did it instead. If you’re young it’s really hard to get across the impact of the FA Cup in those days. The equal of the league championship then imo.

Ps I should know not to be this certain, after all, maybe I was on crack...
[Post edited 10 Nov 2018 20:52]

Well if those photos are to be believed, Leeds were most certainly not playing in white, except for socks.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 21:04 - Nov 10 with 3093 viewsmonmouth

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 20:57 - Nov 10 by ploppy

Well if those photos are to be believed, Leeds were most certainly not playing in white, except for socks.

Pass me the crack pipe then, because I would have sworn to it. Can’t open the link for some reason.

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 21:08 - Nov 10 with 3081 viewsploppy

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 21:04 - Nov 10 by monmouth

Pass me the crack pipe then, because I would have sworn to it. Can’t open the link for some reason.

https://www.alamy.com/leeds-v-swansea-1970-image179119296.html

Lots further down.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 21:13 - Nov 10 with 3067 viewsmonmouth

That is really f+cking scary. I was taken to Elland Road a few times that season and 1971 including our game and I have no recollection of anything but all white. I’m genuinely spooked.

I really can’t believe it. What about all those other memories I trust. I mean, maybe my sister was nice to me 😱
[Post edited 10 Nov 2018 21:23]

Login to get fewer ads

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 21:46 - Nov 10 with 3009 views3swan

I was at the game and would have said they played in white. Something now makes me think it was all blue
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 21:51 - Nov 10 with 2998 viewsswan65split

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 21:46 - Nov 10 by 3swan

I was at the game and would have said they played in white. Something now makes me think it was all blue

it was Blue, and I remember well Allchurch running rings around Cooper.
Though I have to admit all these years later I would have thought we were in Blue,,,,,,,,wheres the wine!
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 22:02 - Nov 10 with 2978 viewsswan65split

Never a Penalty.......it was the 70s version of Taylor reffing.
Gomersall I liked him, great runs and crosses, and I can see his headed goal against Oldham now.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 22:09 - Nov 10 with 2966 viewsdeepdale81

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 21:51 - Nov 10 by swan65split

it was Blue, and I remember well Allchurch running rings around Cooper.
Though I have to admit all these years later I would have thought we were in Blue,,,,,,,,wheres the wine!

I used to work with Herbie Williams,told some great stories.For this game he said before the game Leeds were cocky,and what they forgot is we had players with big match experience,Millington welsh international ,Nurse ,Herbie , Allchurch .
But when they were were warming up, Herbie told Dai Gwyther to smack Jack Charlton into the hay, which apparentley he duly did .result-Charltons head went chasing Gwyther everywhere.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 22:25 - Nov 10 with 2941 viewsTenbySwan

Leeds had a blue kit in the early seventies, same blue as the blue along with yellow stripe on their scarves now,

They're not known as Dirty Leeds for nothing.
Apparently when Brian Clough took over from Don Revie he took a dustbin into the dressing room and told Bremner, Charlton and co to throw all their medals in the bin as he said they had won them all by cheating!
[Post edited 10 Nov 2018 22:29]
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 22:28 - Nov 10 with 2934 viewsJack59

Don Revie called Carl Slee the classiest looking defender in England.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 23:31 - Nov 10 with 2876 viewsswan65split

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 22:28 - Nov 10 by Jack59

Don Revie called Carl Slee the classiest looking defender in England.

Slee and Lawrence were good players, yes there was a touch of class about Slee, and I was surprised both left the game at a fairly young age.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 23:49 - Nov 10 with 2863 viewsswan65split

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/classic-seasons-1969-70

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/03-01-1970%20LUFC%20v%20Swansea%20Town.htm
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 23:50 - Nov 10 with 2861 viewsploppy

So, to sum up, Leeds must have played in blue shirts, blue shorts and white socks, while we played in all red. Is that correct? If only we had a colour photo.

I read somewhere that in those days, in the FA Cup, if there was a clash of colours then both teams had to change. And if the second kits clashed as well, there could be some strange one-off team colours. Leeds had a red away kit back in the day and also a weird orange one.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 00:14 - Nov 11 with 2844 viewsswan65split

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 23:50 - Nov 10 by ploppy

So, to sum up, Leeds must have played in blue shirts, blue shorts and white socks, while we played in all red. Is that correct? If only we had a colour photo.

I read somewhere that in those days, in the FA Cup, if there was a clash of colours then both teams had to change. And if the second kits clashed as well, there could be some strange one-off team colours. Leeds had a red away kit back in the day and also a weird orange one.

Sum up, I remember Blue, who was wearing it I cant remember, I remember a lot of things that Day, but colours?!!!!!
I"ll try and make enquiries, unless someone here has a programme from then.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 08:52 - Nov 11 with 2722 viewscentrestandswan

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 23:50 - Nov 10 by ploppy

A bit like Welsh Cup ties the home team changed, remember the Swans playing in tangerine on some occasions.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 09:50 - Nov 11 with 2689 viewsMuteswan

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 00:14 - Nov 11 by swan65split

Sum up, I remember Blue, who was wearing it I cant remember, I remember a lot of things that Day, but colours?!!!!!

I’ve just checked through my programme for the match and it doesn’t say what colours the teams would be wearing. It does tell you that Mr. D A Corbett was the ref and Mr. Hodgson had a red flag and Mr. Cross had a yellow flag ,if that helps. As it turns out , stapled inside is the Football League review, and the team photo in the centre is Rotherham Utd. And there grimacing back at me is a younger Neil Warnock. 🙄 and also Jim Furnell who played against us for Arsenal in that cup game.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 10:48 - Nov 11 with 2645 viewsswan65split

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 09:50 - Nov 11 by Muteswan

I’ve just checked through my programme for the match and it doesn’t say what colours the teams would be wearing. It does tell you that Mr. D A Corbett was the ref and Mr. Hodgson had a red flag and Mr. Cross had a yellow flag ,if that helps. As it turns out , stapled inside is the Football League review, and the team photo in the centre is Rotherham Utd. And there grimacing back at me is a younger Neil Warnock. 🙄 and also Jim Furnell who played against us for Arsenal in that cup game.

Thanks for looking, all my collection was donated to save the Swans appeal, years ago, Ive checked with someone who was with me at the game and he says Redish /orange. lol
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 09:16 - Nov 12 with 2499 viewsPaxton

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 10:48 - Nov 11 by swan65split

Thanks for looking, all my collection was donated to save the Swans appeal, years ago, Ive checked with someone who was with me at the game and he says Redish /orange. lol

Leeds played in all Blue, Swans played in all Red. My first away game, disliked Leeds ever since. Local press on the Sunday after the game, were describing the Swans as Red Dragons.
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 10:21 - Nov 12 with 2467 viewstheloneranger

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 00:14 - Nov 11 by swan65split

I'm sure you remember certain events better than others!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 12:02 - Nov 12 with 2432 viewsswan65split

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 10:21 - Nov 12 by theloneranger

I'm sure you remember certain events better than others!!

Its an age thing no doubt. I remember bits of the train journey up, all the buses to the game, Gwythers goal in front of us in the chicken run, the sending off, the penalty and Jones goal, drinking with TM at the bar then someone nudging me to remember the toilet issue
Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 17:02 - Nov 12 with 2381 viewstheloneranger

Leeds v Swansea FA Cup round 3 1970 on 12:02 - Nov 12 by swan65split

Its an age thing no doubt. I remember bits of the train journey up, all the buses to the game, Gwythers goal in front of us in the chicken run, the sending off, the penalty and Jones goal, drinking with TM at the bar then someone nudging me to remember the toilet issue

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024