Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any army experts on here? 18:27 - Nov 11 with 3802 viewsDarran

I’m trying to find out what uniform this is,it’s the French Army.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Any army experts on here? on 18:33 - Nov 11 with 3231 viewsLohengrin

At first glance It looks to be the tunic of an officer in the Horse Artillery, Daz.

Who is he?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Any army experts on here? on 18:40 - Nov 11 with 3200 viewsDarran

Any army experts on here? on 18:33 - Nov 11 by Lohengrin

At first glance It looks to be the tunic of an officer in the Horse Artillery, Daz.

Who is he?

The wife’s father. He was (obviously) French and he was also in the French Foreign Legion.

Any army experts on here? on 18:43 - Nov 11 with 3183 viewsLohengrin

Any army experts on here? on 18:40 - Nov 11 by Darran

The wife’s father. He was (obviously) French and he was also in the French Foreign Legion.

French Canadian?

Any army experts on here? on 18:45 - Nov 11 with 3172 viewsDarran

Any army experts on here? on 18:43 - Nov 11 by Lohengrin

French Canadian?

French before he went to Canada.

Any army experts on here? on 18:52 - Nov 11 with 3154 viewsjack2jack

Any army experts on here? on 18:45 - Nov 11 by Darran

Have you been on this site Dar, if you know his details it's easy to find info.
https://www.cwgc.org
Any army experts on here? on 18:53 - Nov 11 with 3151 viewsLohengrin

Any army experts on here? on 18:45 - Nov 11 by Darran

That could well be a Vichy uniform mind, Daz. How much does she know about his war years?

Any army experts on here? on 18:53 - Nov 11 with 3148 viewsDarran

Any army experts on here? on 18:52 - Nov 11 by jack2jack

Have you been on this site Dar, if you know his details it's easy to find info.
https://www.cwgc.org

Cheers Butt I’ll have a good look at that later.

Any army experts on here? on 18:55 - Nov 11 with 3140 viewsDarran

Any army experts on here? on 18:53 - Nov 11 by Lohengrin

That could well be a Vichy uniform mind, Daz. How much does she know about his war years?

Not a lot. Her parents divorced in Canada when she was three and she never saw him again until she was in her thirties.

Login to get fewer ads

Any army experts on here? on 19:33 - Nov 11 with 3089 viewsmajorraglan

If you don’t get any luck with the other suggestions, you could try something like reddit.com they also have a French version. The site allows you to post pictures and questions and it may be that someone out there could assist. Can you speak French? Don’t know how the French will react if you post something on there in English because they can be an awkward bunch, but if you say you’re Welsh they may be more accommodating.

A few years ago Er indoors and I went to France on holiday. We were shopping in a market when some French stall holder asked me something in French. I replied in my best French “je non parle francais” he looked at me with contempt and said to his assistant “Anglais”. I dont speak French, but I knew enough to know he thought I was English and I was able to reply “je suis no Anglais, Je suis Pays De Galles.” I had a totally different reaction then, he was all smiles and behaved like we were long last family. Give it ago.
Any army experts on here? on 20:18 - Nov 11 with 3017 viewsLohengrin

What you could do is phone the French Embassy tomorrow and ask for an e-mail address for the Secretary to the Military Attaché. Tell them you are trying to identify the uniform markings, I should think they would be delighted to set you on the right path.

Any army experts on here? on 20:41 - Nov 11 with 2986 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Try The Service Historique de la Defence, they have a facebook page etc.

Good luck.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Any army experts on here? on 20:47 - Nov 11 with 2978 viewsDarran

Thank you Guys. 🙌🏻

Any army experts on here? on 20:50 - Nov 11 with 2971 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Let us know what you find, it sounds interesting.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Any army experts on here? on 00:06 - Nov 12 with 2886 viewsKilkennyjack

Any army experts on here? on 19:33 - Nov 11 by majorraglan

If you don’t get any luck with the other suggestions, you could try something like reddit.com they also have a French version. The site allows you to post pictures and questions and it may be that someone out there could assist. Can you speak French? Don’t know how the French will react if you post something on there in English because they can be an awkward bunch, but if you say you’re Welsh they may be more accommodating.

A few years ago Er indoors and I went to France on holiday. We were shopping in a market when some French stall holder asked me something in French. I replied in my best French “je non parle francais” he looked at me with contempt and said to his assistant “Anglais”. I dont speak French, but I knew enough to know he thought I was English and I was able to reply “je suis no Anglais, Je suis Pays De Galles.” I had a totally different reaction then, he was all smiles and behaved like we were long last family. Give it ago.

Yes - i have had exactly the same thing.

The French love their old Welsh friends.
🇫🇷 🇪🇺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Beware of the Risen People

Any army experts on here? on 01:41 - Nov 12 with 2864 viewsJonathans_coat

Good spot:-

I would say 6th Foreign Infantry Regiment (French foreign legion). Rank of Sergeant.

Big 6 on the collar is a giveaway

Loyal to Vichy France in early WW2 - based in Syria.
Fought against the British Invasion of Syria and Lebanon
Disbanded in 1941
Reformed in 1949 and served in North Africa and fought in the First Indochina war
Disbanded again 1955
Any army experts on here? on 11:39 - Nov 14 with 2666 viewstrampie

Oh dear

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Any army experts on here? on 16:53 - Nov 14 with 2580 viewsJonathans_coat

Any army experts on here? on 11:39 - Nov 14 by trampie

Oh dear

Not really oh dear, as:-

Vichy WAS the legitimate government of France at the time, and never joined the Axis.

Vichy France made no agressive moves towards the allies despite being subject to several unprovoked attacks by the British.

Most of the the Vichy French forces (60-90%) in the Syria-Lebanon campaign defected to the allies (free French) after an initial show of putting up a fight, as a protest against another unprovoked attack on a French protectorate.
Any army experts on here? on 17:12 - Nov 14 with 2563 viewsDarran

Any army experts on here? on 01:41 - Nov 12 by Jonathans_coat

Good spot:-

I would say 6th Foreign Infantry Regiment (French foreign legion). Rank of Sergeant.

Big 6 on the collar is a giveaway

Loyal to Vichy France in early WW2 - based in Syria.
Fought against the British Invasion of Syria and Lebanon
Disbanded in 1941
Reformed in 1949 and served in North Africa and fought in the First Indochina war
Disbanded again 1955

I like you you’re a very nice man.

Any army experts on here? on 17:12 - Nov 14 with 2561 viewstrampie

Any army experts on here? on 16:53 - Nov 14 by Jonathans_coat

Vichy WAS the legitimate government of France at the time, and never joined the Axis.

Vichy France made no agressive moves towards the allies despite being subject to several unprovoked attacks by the British.

Most of the the Vichy French forces (60-90%) in the Syria-Lebanon campaign defected to the allies (free French) after an initial show of putting up a fight, as a protest against another unprovoked attack on a French protectorate.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend hey.

Giving Jews to their executioners does not sit well in the face of history, fighting the British the good guys [Britains finest hour was our conduct in the war, 9.9 out of 10 just the fire bombings and destroying a fleet blemishing a fantastic record in a terrible war] when we had tried to save them.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Any army experts on here? on 17:21 - Nov 14 with 2557 viewstheloneranger

Any army experts on here? on 16:53 - Nov 14 by Jonathans_coat

They just helped in the deportation and murder of approx 75,000 Jews from France in the concentration camps.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Any army experts on here? on 17:27 - Nov 14 with 2552 viewsJonathans_coat

Any army experts on here? on 17:21 - Nov 14 by theloneranger

They just helped in the deportation and murder of approx 75,000 Jews from France in the concentration camps.

Not defending the Vichy regime at all here folks. It was awful. Period. End of.

Just acknowledging how difficult it would have been for ordinary French people and overseas soldiers. It must have been a very confusing and difficult time for a defeated nation.
Any army experts on here? on 18:17 - Nov 14 with 2516 viewsCountyJim

If I had to put money on it it's Canadian
Any army experts on here? on 19:19 - Nov 14 with 2477 viewsJonathans_coat

Any army experts on here? on 17:12 - Nov 14 by Darran

I like you you’re a very nice man.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/169870217173043036/

This is French Foreign Legion cavalry officer from the late 1930s

I think only the French and Belgian armies had the regimental insignia/number on the collar like that, plus the rank insignia on the lower arm instead of the epaulette common in most armies uniforms.

Do u happen to know the year it was taken? As he likely will have defected to the Free French (or Canadians?) early in the war as most of his regiment did.
Any army experts on here? on 19:36 - Nov 14 with 2458 viewsDarran

Any army experts on here? on 19:19 - Nov 14 by Jonathans_coat

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/169870217173043036/

This is French Foreign Legion cavalry officer from the late 1930s

I think only the French and Belgian armies had the regimental insignia/number on the collar like that, plus the rank insignia on the lower arm instead of the epaulette common in most armies uniforms.

Do u happen to know the year it was taken? As he likely will have defected to the Free French (or Canadians?) early in the war as most of his regiment did.

She doesn’t have a lot of info on him I’m afraid. Her mother met him in Canada in the 60s they got married and then she was born,they split up and her mother brought her back to Port Talbot. She doesn’t even know if they ever got divorced.
She then met him when she was in her 30s after tracing him but at the time she spoke hardly any French and him not much English

Any army experts on here? on 20:04 - Nov 14 with 2429 viewsJonathans_coat

Any army experts on here? on 19:36 - Nov 14 by Darran

She doesn’t have a lot of info on him I’m afraid. Her mother met him in Canada in the 60s they got married and then she was born,they split up and her mother brought her back to Port Talbot. She doesn’t even know if they ever got divorced.
She then met him when she was in her 30s after tracing him but at the time she spoke hardly any French and him not much English

Tracing anyone’s service in the wars is always difficult, unless they were a commissioned officer. I’m in slow process of doing mine and my wife’s family trees for my son. And it turns out there’s at least three members of the ww2 parachute regiment in there, all different battalions. What comes across in every family story however is how none of them ever spoke in any detail about their war service, if at all. Guess just too traumatic to relive. Awful that so many young men had to go through it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024