Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gone Grounds 08:47 - Nov 14 with 5517 viewsDarran

http://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/gone-grounds-vetch-field

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gone Grounds on 09:14 - Nov 14 with 4173 viewslifelong

Great read. 👍
Gone Grounds on 09:41 - Nov 14 with 4143 viewsjacktar

An excellent read, certainly takes you back.
I can remember being in the record crowd of 32,786 against Arsenal in 1968 and as I recall there were a number of games with 30.000+ gates around that time, despite us being in the lower divisions.
My first trip to Wembley to watch the Huddersfield game followed and I have managed a couple of visits since.
I'm a bit surprised that there was no mention of Harry Griffiths in the article as he worked through the ranks at the Vetch and paved the way for Toshack's success imo.

Good days ............... let's hope there's more to come.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Gone Grounds on 11:01 - Nov 14 with 4085 viewsWingstandwood

Gone Grounds on 09:41 - Nov 14 by jacktar

I can remember being in the record crowd of 32,786 against Arsenal in 1968 and as I recall there were a number of games with 30.000+ gates around that time, despite us being in the lower divisions.
My first trip to Wembley to watch the Huddersfield game followed and I have managed a couple of visits since.
I'm a bit surprised that there was no mention of Harry Griffiths in the article as he worked through the ranks at the Vetch and paved the way for Toshack's success imo.

I saw a few decent gates during the Toshack era that would have exceeded the Liberty capacity by a good few thousand! I was like many a supporter i.e. sometimes very sceptical of the official gate 'announced' when compared with what volume of crowd numbers I actually saw by being there and standing amongst it. The attendances were at times significantly higher than what newspapers and programmes stated.

Don't get me wrong i.e. gates did indeed drop a times and there was spaces, but one game in particular will always stay in my mind it was an early eighties First Division Swans v Watford game and the first ever (a rarity in those days) Sunday home game I and many others had turned up to.

The tannoy attendance announcement went up and the (bewilderment-aghast and laughter) crowds reaction said it all. It looked like the 'officially announced figure' had forgotten to include around 5,000 + (*cough, cough, cough*) supporters in attendance that day. The Swans first ever First Division home game of 23,500 against Leeds, another profound example! Where were there thousands of empty spaces?

Argus!

Gone Grounds on 11:10 - Nov 14 with 4076 viewsnicky

Gone Grounds on 11:01 - Nov 14 by Wingstandwood

I saw a few decent gates during the Toshack era that would have exceeded the Liberty capacity by a good few thousand! I was like many a supporter i.e. sometimes very sceptical of the official gate 'announced' when compared with what volume of crowd numbers I actually saw by being there and standing amongst it. The attendances were at times significantly higher than what newspapers and programmes stated.

Don't get me wrong i.e. gates did indeed drop a times and there was spaces, but one game in particular will always stay in my mind it was an early eighties First Division Swans v Watford game and the first ever (a rarity in those days) Sunday home game I and many others had turned up to.

The tannoy attendance announcement went up and the (bewilderment-aghast and laughter) crowds reaction said it all. It looked like the 'officially announced figure' had forgotten to include around 5,000 + (*cough, cough, cough*) supporters in attendance that day. The Swans first ever First Division home game of 23,500 against Leeds, another profound example! Where were there thousands of empty spaces?

The "worst" one I remember was the (Kevin Keegan) Southampton game in our first season. It was a Tuesday night and the place was rammed. You couldn't even get up the ramp onto the North Bank. Official attendance was something crazy like 22,000!
Gone Grounds on 11:21 - Nov 14 with 4067 viewsWingstandwood

Gone Grounds on 11:10 - Nov 14 by nicky

The "worst" one I remember was the (Kevin Keegan) Southampton game in our first season. It was a Tuesday night and the place was rammed. You couldn't even get up the ramp onto the North Bank. Official attendance was something crazy like 22,000!

Yeah, that was another one, well spotted.

It was a case of common sense kicking in games where every seat and terrace space was taken and people crammed in like sardines in a tin, but yet?

The Vetch was apparently at times (*cough, cough, cough*) 5,000+ short from reaching full capacity.
The people doing the adding up must have been going home extremely (wheel barrow required?) weighted-down............Or lesser capable from?..........

Argus!

Gone Grounds on 12:29 - Nov 14 with 3999 viewscontroversial_jack

A good read. Very sad about Titch Evans though.I worked with his nephew and he was always trying to get info about him.If anyone has anything of relevance please share it with me so I can pass it on.Thanks
Gone Grounds on 13:21 - Nov 14 with 3928 viewstheloneranger

Gone Grounds on 12:29 - Nov 14 by controversial_jack

A good read. Very sad about Titch Evans though.I worked with his nephew and he was always trying to get info about him.If anyone has anything of relevance please share it with me so I can pass it on.Thanks

Interesting history about Tich Evans from the Barry Football Heritage site.

https://forzabarry.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/the-tragedy-of-tich-evans-the-most-p

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Gone Grounds on 16:53 - Nov 14 with 3813 viewscontroversial_jack

Gone Grounds on 13:21 - Nov 14 by theloneranger

Interesting history about Tich Evans from the Barry Football Heritage site.

https://forzabarry.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/the-tragedy-of-tich-evans-the-most-p

Nice one. Thank you!
Login to get fewer ads

Gone Grounds on 17:05 - Nov 14 with 3802 viewscentrestandswan

The rumours used to be that a few of the turnstiles could do with really good greasing as the clickers didn't always work , just rumours mind you, I would never believe such a thing. 😉

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Gone Grounds on 17:46 - Nov 14 with 3758 viewsWingstandwood

Gone Grounds on 17:05 - Nov 14 by centrestandswan

The rumours used to be that a few of the turnstiles could do with really good greasing as the clickers didn't always work , just rumours mind you, I would never believe such a thing. 😉

Yep, there sure was some discrepancy between what we all saw and experienced to what was actually announced over the tannoy.

Other games I can remember i.e. the jam-packed Vetch Field FA Cup visit of (THE must see team of that era) Liverpool where apparently The Vetch was underfilled by nigh 3,500 and Liverpool's following league visit where The Vetch was undefilled by a staggering 5,000. And?.... Then there was the following season where The Vetch was underfilled by 7,000.

And to make it more surreal the announced attendance for this particular Cardiff game suggested that The Vetch was only 2-3 thousand over half full where there should have been a large sea of empty seats/spaces on every side of the ground.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 18:11]

Argus!

Gone Grounds on 20:11 - Nov 14 with 3651 viewsCatullus

Gone Grounds on 17:05 - Nov 14 by centrestandswan

I used to work on the gates down the Vetch and the turnstyles were rubbish, old, dilapidated and yes, the 'clickers' were knackered too.
There were gatemen down there making good money, if a turnstyle had a clicker cover you could get off, and many of them could be lifted with a pen knife, they'd take the start figure and the end figure, do the maths and pocket the difference. It's why some always wanted the same gate and moaned if they were moved.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Gone Grounds on 20:32 - Nov 14 with 3623 viewsWingstandwood

Gone Grounds on 20:11 - Nov 14 by Catullus

I used to work on the gates down the Vetch and the turnstyles were rubbish, old, dilapidated and yes, the 'clickers' were knackered too.
There were gatemen down there making good money, if a turnstyle had a clicker cover you could get off, and many of them could be lifted with a pen knife, they'd take the start figure and the end figure, do the maths and pocket the difference. It's why some always wanted the same gate and moaned if they were moved.

They must have had an absolute heyday, many a spectator knew there was something bizarre going on. Like I mentioned previously with the Watford game.

That game was unique because it was a first Sunday fixture for many and a far greater than expected crowd turned up. Normally the crowd didn't react to a PA attendance announcement but on this occasion there was both an extremely audible and visible reaction because it was sooooo farcical.

A case of how the f#ck could another 12,000 fit inside the 27,500 capacity ground? The announced figure was around the 15,000 mark but there looked to be approx 20,000 +.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 20:36]

Argus!

Gone Grounds on 20:56 - Nov 14 with 3571 viewsCatullus

Gone Grounds on 20:32 - Nov 14 by Wingstandwood

They must have had an absolute heyday, many a spectator knew there was something bizarre going on. Like I mentioned previously with the Watford game.

That game was unique because it was a first Sunday fixture for many and a far greater than expected crowd turned up. Normally the crowd didn't react to a PA attendance announcement but on this occasion there was both an extremely audible and visible reaction because it was sooooo farcical.

A case of how the f#ck could another 12,000 fit inside the 27,500 capacity ground? The announced figure was around the 15,000 mark but there looked to be approx 20,000 +.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 20:36]

Many a time us gatemen questioned the attendance, even with people fiddling the numbers often looked well off.
That Watford game, 6 Feb 83, the crowd was given (Ilooked it up) as 14,461.

On a side note, if you were sat in the wingstand we probably bumped into each other, it was where the gatemen usually went to sit while we waited for our money to be checked. I was a spotty teenager back then, legally speaking I shouldn't have been working the gates!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Gone Grounds on 21:03 - Nov 14 with 3551 viewsWingstandwood

Gone Grounds on 20:56 - Nov 14 by Catullus

Many a time us gatemen questioned the attendance, even with people fiddling the numbers often looked well off.

On a side note, if you were sat in the wingstand we probably bumped into each other, it was where the gatemen usually went to sit while we waited for our money to be checked. I was a spotty teenager back then, legally speaking I shouldn't have been working the gates!!

No doubt I would have seen you...I've stood and sat in all parts of the old Vetch but the Wingstand and Centre Stand were my preferred vantage points because I could see the stars right up-close-and-personal.

Argus!

Gone Grounds on 21:12 - Nov 14 with 3540 viewsGaryjack

Gone Grounds on 09:41 - Nov 14 by jacktar

I actually went through our past gates season by season many years ago after hearing these stories from my late dad. You'll be surprised to know that the Arsenal game was the only time we have played a home game in front of 30000+ in any competition. Also, until we reached the Premier League, we had never averaged over 20000+ at home in any season. Sorry but them's the facts.
Gone Grounds on 21:22 - Nov 14 with 3518 viewstheloneranger

Gone Grounds on 21:12 - Nov 14 by Garyjack

I actually went through our past gates season by season many years ago after hearing these stories from my late dad. You'll be surprised to know that the Arsenal game was the only time we have played a home game in front of 30000+ in any competition. Also, until we reached the Premier League, we had never averaged over 20000+ at home in any season. Sorry but them's the facts.

Swansea's average home attendance for league games were 22,535 in 1948-49.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 21:26]

Gone Grounds on 21:30 - Nov 14 with 3493 viewsGaryjack

Gone Grounds on 21:22 - Nov 14 by theloneranger

Swansea's average home attendance for league games were 22,535 in 1948-49.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 21:26]

It's false. I took my figures from an official Swansea City book which listed the attendance at every game, every season. Until we reached the Prem our highest average attendance over a season was 19000+ (i believe it was the 49/50 title winning season.). Don't get me wrong, we used to get some great crowds. But they'd vary greatly over the course of a season.
Gone Grounds on 21:35 - Nov 14 with 3482 viewstheloneranger

Gone Grounds on 21:30 - Nov 14 by Garyjack

It's false. I took my figures from an official Swansea City book which listed the attendance at every game, every season. Until we reached the Prem our highest average attendance over a season was 19000+ (i believe it was the 49/50 title winning season.). Don't get me wrong, we used to get some great crowds. But they'd vary greatly over the course of a season.

My figures were from the guys on the turnstiles 😂😂

Gone Grounds on 21:47 - Nov 14 with 3456 viewsGaryjack

Gone Grounds on 21:35 - Nov 14 by theloneranger

My figures were from the guys on the turnstiles 😂😂

Please accept my apologies.
Gone Grounds on 21:54 - Nov 14 with 3447 viewsGaryjack

Anyway, as for false attendances. My biggest memory was the game after we rose from the dead after going bust in 85. We played Bournemouth at home, and you couldn't move in the ground, it was rammed everywhere. At a guess i'd say about 18000. Official attendance was 6600!
Gone Grounds on 22:53 - Nov 14 with 3364 viewsTNT

Gone Grounds on 21:54 - Nov 14 by Garyjack

Anyway, as for false attendances. My biggest memory was the game after we rose from the dead after going bust in 85. We played Bournemouth at home, and you couldn't move in the ground, it was rammed everywhere. At a guess i'd say about 18000. Official attendance was 6600!

Doug Sharpe (taps nose).

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Gone Grounds on 18:14 - Nov 16 with 3093 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Not one too make allegations but it was cash on the day and quite often the turnstile operator would squeeze two people in at once so only one was recorded on the turnstile meter. Guess the money then went into his pocket.

It was also very easy to climb over the wall in certain places notably behind the centre stand enclosure.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Gone Grounds on 22:52 - Nov 16 with 3005 viewsjack_lord

Gone Grounds on 20:56 - Nov 14 by Catullus

which one of the gatemen were you? I remember that a few would go in the wing stand or others would join their mates in the rest of the ground.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Gone Grounds on 22:57 - Nov 16 with 2998 viewsDarran

Anyone remember that fat çunt Phil on the main gate by the East Stand.
Not many people have picked on Amy throughout the years but that fuçking prick did.
Fuçking freak.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gone Grounds on 23:19 - Nov 16 with 2993 viewsjack_lord

Gone Grounds on 22:57 - Nov 16 by Darran

Anyone remember that fat çunt Phil on the main gate by the East Stand.
Not many people have picked on Amy throughout the years but that fuçking prick did.
Fuçking freak.

Was he one of the guys on the turnstile or stewards? We kept the same staff on the East stand most of the time.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024