Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football Sin Bin Trial 22:47 - Nov 21 with 2866 viewsCooperman

I listened to an intersting piece on TalkSport this evening where the focus was on refereeing. One of the points discussed was a trial taking place this season that introduces a ten minute sin bin for cases of dissent against referees. The longer term plan is to introduce this from next season for all games at tier seven and below of the football pyramid. The feedback obtained so far from officials, players and coaches is that the strong majority are in favour of full time adoption. However there is absolutely no intention within the FA of pursuing a law change that would see introduction of the same rules for the top of the game; I found this bizarre to say the least as it’s one aspect of the beautiful game that needs to be eliminated. We really could learn from the rugby code in this respect. Dermot Gallagher was on the show and he certainly didn’t come across as a supporter for penalising dissent at Premier League level.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Football Sin Bin Trial on 11:57 - Nov 22 with 2736 viewsJinxy

Interesting. Apart from the obvious command of respect, it can only help referees make better decisions without being harassed/badgered/pressurised by players and coaches. Strange response by Gallagher that.
Football Sin Bin Trial on 12:16 - Nov 22 with 2724 viewsCooperman

Football Sin Bin Trial on 11:57 - Nov 22 by Jinxy

Interesting. Apart from the obvious command of respect, it can only help referees make better decisions without being harassed/badgered/pressurised by players and coaches. Strange response by Gallagher that.

Another panel member was a young amateur ref who is working his way up through the structure. He commented on how peer pressure is cleaning up the game at lower levels - players sin binned are being ostracised by team mates, and rightly so IMO as they have jeopardised the ability to win the game. He then reeled off some stats about the steep downward trend of dissent related incidents.

Football Sin Bin Trial on 12:36 - Nov 22 with 2707 viewsJinxy

Football Sin Bin Trial on 12:16 - Nov 22 by Cooperman

Another panel member was a young amateur ref who is working his way up through the structure. He commented on how peer pressure is cleaning up the game at lower levels - players sin binned are being ostracised by team mates, and rightly so IMO as they have jeopardised the ability to win the game. He then reeled off some stats about the steep downward trend of dissent related incidents.

Hopefully the results of the trial will be monitored closely for potentially rolling it out and up, as it sounds promising. Also, over zealous parents and coaches at junior levels do not set the right example, both in football and rugby.
Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:06 - Nov 22 with 2643 viewsjackal

Love to see it for diving.

Culprits getting well deserved abuse from the crowd whilst they sit there.
Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:10 - Nov 22 with 2639 viewsTom1912

Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:06 - Nov 22 by jackal

Love to see it for diving.

Culprits getting well deserved abuse from the crowd whilst they sit there.

This would be a good thing to introduce when VAR comes in. Problem at the moment is referee's rarely book players for diving as it is because they don't want to risk it incase they're wrong. With VAR, if a player has clearly dived, put them in the bin for 10 minutes. Would significantly reduce diving I think.
Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:18 - Nov 22 with 2634 viewsploppy

I've said this before: in order to introduce sin-bins, they would would also have to introduce a match clock, which is stopped for injuries and suchlike. Administering sin-bins is not easy, especially when you have multiple sin-bins happening concurrently. Not saying they shouldn't introduce a match clock, mind. Can't see it happening though.
Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:22 - Nov 22 with 2632 viewsCooperman

Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:18 - Nov 22 by ploppy

I've said this before: in order to introduce sin-bins, they would would also have to introduce a match clock, which is stopped for injuries and suchlike. Administering sin-bins is not easy, especially when you have multiple sin-bins happening concurrently. Not saying they shouldn't introduce a match clock, mind. Can't see it happening though.

Dermot also said he couldn’t see it happening but didn’t give reasons as valid as yours.

Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:43 - Nov 22 with 2618 viewsTom1912

Yeah good point. You'd get 10 minutes of the team with 10 men wasting as much time as they can get away with.
Login to get fewer ads

Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:50 - Nov 22 with 2612 viewsjackal

Maybe the 4th official could have a stop watch.

They don't do much else.
Football Sin Bin Trial on 17:37 - Nov 22 with 2554 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Not really a problem in the PL EFL and national leagues they have a fourth official who can easily time 10 minutes from when the players leaves the field of play. Just hope the referee can then clamp down on the 10 man team's time wasting.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Football Sin Bin Trial on 18:59 - Nov 22 with 2514 viewsBadlands

Football Sin Bin Trial on 17:37 - Nov 22 by felixstowe_jack

Not really a problem in the PL EFL and national leagues they have a fourth official who can easily time 10 minutes from when the players leaves the field of play. Just hope the referee can then clamp down on the 10 man team's time wasting.

Timer on the chair?

Given the fouls some of our players have been on the end of that weren't even awarded free kicks I wouldn't trust many refs to be fair. I have to say rugby referees are far more neutral than their football counterparts.

With VAR & a technical team to advise it might be worth n experiment.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Football Sin Bin Trial on 01:33 - Nov 23 with 2430 viewsSwan91

Either that or have an extra official who monitors the time. When 10 minutes are up they go up to the line and the next time the ball gets kicked out then the ref can wave them back on (like someone who goes off injured and then comes back on).
Football Sin Bin Trial on 02:27 - Nov 23 with 2424 viewsVici

This would kill the game, if a player gets sent to a sin bin - the team will just park the bus for 10 minutes. How many potential classic games have been ruined by early sendings off.
Football Sin Bin Trial on 19:25 - Nov 23 with 2302 viewsCatullus

Football Sin Bin Trial on 02:27 - Nov 23 by Vici

This would kill the game, if a player gets sent to a sin bin - the team will just park the bus for 10 minutes. How many potential classic games have been ruined by early sendings off.

Are you saying we should let cheats and rule breakers get away with it in case it spoils the game?
What about the diving that ruins a game? What about the players who get away with bad tackles (that put your player out of the game) because the ref doen't want to give that second yellow in case it spoils the game.

Stop the cheats and make football better. A player can't be sent off for cheating unless he's cheating.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Football Sin Bin Trial on 19:57 - Nov 23 with 2296 viewssherpajacob

The whole point of a,sin bin is that it doesn't ruin a,whole game with a,harsh early sending off.

A,team has 10 minutes to survive, the innocent team get 10 minutes to break them down, but also benefit as their own goal is less threatened

As for the time wasting, simple solution give the time waster a yellow card as well.

This would work brilliantly as teams defending leads or holding on for a point late on are currently more than happy to give away yellow cards for time wasting.

I coach minis and frequently sin bin players, it works.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2018 19:58]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Football Sin Bin Trial on 20:31 - Nov 23 with 2283 viewsploppy

Football Sin Bin Trial on 01:33 - Nov 23 by Swan91

Either that or have an extra official who monitors the time. When 10 minutes are up they go up to the line and the next time the ball gets kicked out then the ref can wave them back on (like someone who goes off injured and then comes back on).

Undoubtedly you'd need an extra official.

Not sure about waiting for the ball to go out of play to come back on. If you're playing someone like Barcelona, Man City - or even us in our prime! - you could be waiting quite a while.
Football Sin Bin Trial on 07:36 - Nov 24 with 2220 viewsCooperman

An early sending off is a completely different scenario to a ten minute sin bin. The two cannot be compared.

If anything the sin bin is more likely to make the opposition go all out attack for ten minutes as the advantage is limited. Whereas an early sending off leads to a more patient approach.

Football Sin Bin Trial on 07:37 - Nov 24 with 2219 viewsCooperman

Football Sin Bin Trial on 14:43 - Nov 22 by Tom1912

Yeah good point. You'd get 10 minutes of the team with 10 men wasting as much time as they can get away with.

There’s a penalty for that as well.

Football Sin Bin Trial on 09:51 - Nov 24 with 2191 viewsCatullus

Football Sin Bin Trial on 07:37 - Nov 24 by Cooperman

There’s a penalty for that as well.

OOOh lets see, maybe you could send the time waster to the sin bin?

Imagine any EPL megastar being sin binned for shouting at the ref, imagine the outcry from the players and managers as games as ruined by trying to make players and managers behave properly. If they're not allowed to behave like abusive, cheating twunts whatever will they do?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024