Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rule changes to improve the game? 12:12 - Nov 22 with 5189 viewsJinxy

How do we think the game could be further improved? Some examples...

1. Defenders "shielding" the ball out of play should constitute obstruction, and therefore a free kick to the opposition. It's a foul anywhere else on the pitch!
2. When a goalkeeper passes out from a goal kick, if the opposition sense he's played it short and closes the defender down, then all he has to do is step inside the area and receive the ball, enabling the kick to be retaken as it didn't leave the area. Should be an (indirect?) free kick to the opposition perhaps?
3. Enforcement of a yellow card when the ball is deliberately kicked/thrown away once the whistle has blown. This is inconsistent at the moment and frustrating for the paying punter.

To be honest, there's not a lot wrong with the game imho - maybe a few tweaks here and there?
Rule changes to improve the game? on 12:17 - Nov 22 with 3982 views34dfgdf54

You can use your body to shield an opposing player from the ball you're in possession with. Bony was a master at it.

I think physios should be allowed onto the pitch as the game goes on like they are in rugby, save the hassle of kicking the ball out of player etc.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 14:06 - Nov 22 with 3938 viewsTom1912

What you describe in 1. is not a foul anywhere else on the pitch. Per the laws you are permitted to shield the ball as long as you are within playing distance of it. You don't need to have touched the ball either. By making this illegal, you would get plenty of teams resorting to kicking the ball into the corner, forcing defenders to give away throw-ins/free kicks/corners. It's by far the lesser of two evils.

Totally agree on 2, it's a little odd that the laws permit that. I guess it doesn't happen that frequently, but still, it doesn't seem logical.

The thing I would change is time keeping. Make games 60 or 65 minutes or whatever and stop the ball everytime it goes out of play. Significantly reduces the impact of timewasting and ensures every game is fair in terms of length.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 14:16 - Nov 22 with 3927 viewsnantywatcher

Enforce time limits for taking throw ins and definitely no foreign objects i.e. towels being allowed to wipe clean the ball, what next little pots of sand to make taking free kicks easier?
Rule changes to improve the game? on 14:27 - Nov 22 with 3915 viewsploppy

All of the above.

Plus, when substituted, leave the field at the nearest point.
Plus, no time-wasting at the corner flag.
Plus, retrospective action even for yellow cards.
Plus, harsher penalties for diving.
Plus, yellow card for preventing a quick free kick i.e. move away from the ball immediately.
Plus, for "head injuries", some of which are now simulated - allow the trainer on. Play can continue if the ball's nowhere near.

That should do it.

Regarding shielding the ball, you're allowed to do so if the ball is within playing distance - otherwise you're not "in possession". Some of the "shielding" going on is taking the p!ss.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 14:30 - Nov 22 with 3912 viewsEasternJack

Number 2 can already be punishable as a yellow card offence under "delaying the restart of play" if the Ref thinks it was done deliberately.

Same as number 3 - it's all about interpretation / spirit of the laws and application.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Rule changes to improve the game? on 15:12 - Nov 22 with 3883 viewsDewi1jack

Substituted players have 6 seconds to leave the park once they notice the board/ told by the ref/ lines person/ opposition players.
If not a booking- 2 yellows (red) at 12 seconds.
Injured players being helped leave the field at the nearest point. Extra time should be allowed for this to happen only.

Clock stopped once the ball is dead- goal kicks, throw ins, injuries with the play stopped etc- does away with the need for "Fergie time"
90 mins ball in play.

All timed by an independent time keeper with the home and away teams to supply a time keeper each just to check the ball is in play for at least 90 mins.
Hooter/ klaxon to finish the game sounded by the independent, once he has checked the clocks of the home/ away time keepers.
2 from 3 clocks at 90 mins to sound the hooter.

Offside rule simplified
1 defender and GK (2 defenders) between an attacker and the goal line when the ball is passed/ thrown in/ kicked in
If the ball comes off a defending player/ GK then no offside.
Obstruction by an attacking player is still a free kick.

Each team to be allowed to challenge 2 decisions in a game, once the ref has blown the whistle.
Of course all pro league grounds must have televised games to the 4th ref to allow this.
Can always start in the top 2 divisions.
Any more than 2 challenges would wreck the game. 2 makes managers and captains think about wasting them just in case a dodgy goal/ penalty is awarded.

Sin Bin for 10 minutes for the cynical, take one for the team foul/ denying a clear goal scoring opportunity when a yellow (not red. If the ref deems a red then no sin bin just off) is awarded.
Only 2 people to talk to the ref-/ lines person. Player fouled/ aggrieved and his captain
Sin bin for 5 minutes to the captain who allows his players to surround a ref/ lines person.
Next time it happens during the game then the offending teams GK sinbinned for 5 minutes
That'll stop teams badgering the ref for a decision!

As has been said, I do think minor tweaks to the game would improve it.
No need for drastic overhaul

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Rule changes to improve the game? on 17:07 - Nov 22 with 3838 viewsspiderboy

How about short corners if the ball goes out for a corner between the goalpost and the width of the penalty area?
Rule changes to improve the game? on 19:50 - Nov 22 with 3786 viewsNeathJack

Penalty only to be given for denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity rather than innocuous fouls/handballs in the box where the punishment currently far outweighs the crime.
Login to get fewer ads

Rule changes to improve the game? on 20:35 - Nov 22 with 3766 viewstrampie

Offside should be offside and handball should be handball, oh and allow tackling again.

As regards football and technology football is in the dark ages.

The big national teams and the big club sides know that by and large its not to their advantage, hence why football is so far behind every other major sports.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 20:36]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Rule changes to improve the game? on 20:58 - Nov 22 with 3746 viewsoldcob

Nothing much wrong with the rules we already have. Just need the refs to give what they see without bias.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:10 - Nov 22 with 3735 viewsKilkennyjack

Mouthing off to ref, go back 10 yards like rugby.
Only captains can speak to ref.

Time wasting subs last 10 mins ...have double time added on.

Beware of the Risen People

Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:15 - Nov 22 with 3726 viewsBadlands

Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:10 - Nov 22 by Kilkennyjack

Mouthing off to ref, go back 10 yards like rugby.
Only captains can speak to ref.

Time wasting subs last 10 mins ...have double time added on.

That has been tried and refs ignored it.
I'd like to see any player deliberately touching the ball or infringing on 10 yards to slow a free kick sent off.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:37 - Nov 22 with 3710 viewsKrisP

Rule changes to improve the game? on 19:50 - Nov 22 by NeathJack

Penalty only to be given for denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity rather than innocuous fouls/handballs in the box where the punishment currently far outweighs the crime.

So there would only be penalties for the situations where, currently, a straight red is given? Ridiculous. There would be so many more these "innocuous" challenges stopping promising attacks dead if the result was an indirect free kick rather than a penalty. You'd never again see a game without multiple.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:44 - Nov 22 with 3705 viewsKrisP

Rule changes to improve the game? on 15:12 - Nov 22 by Dewi1jack

Substituted players have 6 seconds to leave the park once they notice the board/ told by the ref/ lines person/ opposition players.
If not a booking- 2 yellows (red) at 12 seconds.
Injured players being helped leave the field at the nearest point. Extra time should be allowed for this to happen only.

Clock stopped once the ball is dead- goal kicks, throw ins, injuries with the play stopped etc- does away with the need for "Fergie time"
90 mins ball in play.

All timed by an independent time keeper with the home and away teams to supply a time keeper each just to check the ball is in play for at least 90 mins.
Hooter/ klaxon to finish the game sounded by the independent, once he has checked the clocks of the home/ away time keepers.
2 from 3 clocks at 90 mins to sound the hooter.

Offside rule simplified
1 defender and GK (2 defenders) between an attacker and the goal line when the ball is passed/ thrown in/ kicked in
If the ball comes off a defending player/ GK then no offside.
Obstruction by an attacking player is still a free kick.

Each team to be allowed to challenge 2 decisions in a game, once the ref has blown the whistle.
Of course all pro league grounds must have televised games to the 4th ref to allow this.
Can always start in the top 2 divisions.
Any more than 2 challenges would wreck the game. 2 makes managers and captains think about wasting them just in case a dodgy goal/ penalty is awarded.

Sin Bin for 10 minutes for the cynical, take one for the team foul/ denying a clear goal scoring opportunity when a yellow (not red. If the ref deems a red then no sin bin just off) is awarded.
Only 2 people to talk to the ref-/ lines person. Player fouled/ aggrieved and his captain
Sin bin for 5 minutes to the captain who allows his players to surround a ref/ lines person.
Next time it happens during the game then the offending teams GK sinbinned for 5 minutes
That'll stop teams badgering the ref for a decision!

As has been said, I do think minor tweaks to the game would improve it.
No need for drastic overhaul

Isn't that pretty much the offside rule anyway? And if you want the ball in play for 90 mins, we'd be in the stadium for about 3-4 hours given that the average time in play at the moment seems to be 50 and 60 minutes.

Halves are 45 minutes because the ball will be out of play. If you wanted to enforce actual in-play time, halves would have to be made shorter. There was actually a proposal a couple of years back for two 30 minute halves with the clock stopped each time it went out but nothing came of it.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:51 - Nov 22 with 3701 viewsNeathJack

Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:37 - Nov 22 by KrisP

So there would only be penalties for the situations where, currently, a straight red is given? Ridiculous. There would be so many more these "innocuous" challenges stopping promising attacks dead if the result was an indirect free kick rather than a penalty. You'd never again see a game without multiple.

The 18 yard box is a completely arbitrary marking. The same offence taking place 6 inches outside or 6 inches inside often results in a massively differing outcome due to one being given as a penalty and the other not.

It's ludicrous.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 22:05 - Nov 22 with 3696 viewsKrisP

Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:51 - Nov 22 by NeathJack

The 18 yard box is a completely arbitrary marking. The same offence taking place 6 inches outside or 6 inches inside often results in a massively differing outcome due to one being given as a penalty and the other not.

It's ludicrous.

I think a line had to be (literally) drawn somewhere. I think you see more deliberate fouls just out side the box because there is no threat of a penalty. I think that removing the idea of a penalty area would lead to far more cynical fouls in and around the goal area.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 22:29 - Nov 22 with 3676 viewsCatullus

1, independent time keeper
2, a citing process like rugby
3, VAR brought in but only used for back up on goals, penalty and red card decisions
4, offside can only be given when the ball has passed the last defender, if the ball doesn't go past/over, no offside. It's silly (to me anyway) that someone can be given offside for coming back from an offside position when they may by then be 5 yards onside.
5, substitutes leave the pitch at the nearest point with the clock stopped
6, yellow cards can also be appealed
7, bring in the sin bin, 15 mins a time.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Rule changes to improve the game? on 22:36 - Nov 22 with 3667 viewsJohnw102

Abolish the offside rule

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Rule changes to improve the game? on 22:42 - Nov 22 with 3662 viewssainthelens

Make the scummers play with a medicine ball.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 22:51 - Nov 22 with 3659 viewsPozuelosSideys

I want no backchatting to be enforced. Run your mouth = booked. Do it again = off. Just STFU and play the game. Leave the referree abuse to teh fans in the stand.

Also, all penalty decisions/claims to be reviewed by video ref when ball goes out of play.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Rule changes to improve the game? on 22:58 - Nov 22 with 3654 viewsKilkennyjack

Rule changes to improve the game? on 21:15 - Nov 22 by Badlands

That has been tried and refs ignored it.
I'd like to see any player deliberately touching the ball or infringing on 10 yards to slow a free kick sent off.

Hasn’t really been tried yet then in my book .....

Make the ref assessors make it so.

Discipline is important to our game.

Beware of the Risen People

Rule changes to improve the game? (n/t) on 23:15 - Nov 22 with 3642 viewsEU5Makaveli

Rule changes to improve the game? on 22:58 - Nov 22 by Kilkennyjack

Hasn’t really been tried yet then in my book .....

Make the ref assessors make it so.

Discipline is important to our game.

[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 23:16]
Rule changes to improve the game? on 23:17 - Nov 22 with 3638 viewsEU5Makaveli

Leave it as it is. Just bring in VAR.
Rule changes to improve the game? on 00:22 - Nov 23 with 3599 viewsjackrmee

Ref should be miked up and should be interviewed after the game. And slapped if possible.

Players should be w@nked off if they take the ball first and put the man through the advertising hoardings in the same sliding manoeuvre. It's not basketball ladies!
2 footers below the waist should get some credit also.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Rule changes to improve the game? on 05:19 - Nov 23 with 3571 viewsLoyal

Gobbing off - bookings plus ten steps.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024