Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Union Jacks & Loyalists 09:18 - Nov 25 with 37987 viewsSwanSwan

I noticed a new flag yesterday which I assume to be a loyalist flag. The Ulster hand and Rangers badge with Union Jack colours. Just wondering what the significance of this is?

I don't personally see how this or the Union Jack represents Swansea in any way. I get that plenty people identify as British but given the Union Jack is a amalgamation of each flag in the union aside from Wales why would we choose to display it in a Welsh football ground? Its almost seems welcoming to our opposition.

Do those that fly these flags not consider themselves Welsh too? Is there another political agenda at play here? Looking for an explanation of the Swansea Loyalist subculture really.

Tin hat on.
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:21 - Dec 17 with 2834 viewsLohengrin

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:15 - Dec 17 by Ebo

I bet you would get your knickers in a twist if someone hung an Irish tr-colour or a 'Swansea Bhoys' flag down there wouldn't you?

Keep bigotry and politics out of Swansea city and get behind the team. What you do outside the stadium is up to you.

There are though, Eb. I’ve seen a couple of Irish flags over the years. Hasn’t bothered me or anybody else unduly as far as I’m aware?

Wanting something banned because we don’t personally approve sits ill with me. To be honest it ought to set alarm bells ringing with anybody blessed with foresight.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:28 - Dec 17 with 2805 viewsEbo

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:21 - Dec 17 by Lohengrin

There are though, Eb. I’ve seen a couple of Irish flags over the years. Hasn’t bothered me or anybody else unduly as far as I’m aware?

Wanting something banned because we don’t personally approve sits ill with me. To be honest it ought to set alarm bells ringing with anybody blessed with foresight.

I could not care what nationality is on the flag Loh, it is the message that bothers a lot of people and let's be frank, politics and sectarianism must be kept out of our club.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:31 - Dec 17 with 2796 viewsSTID2017

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:21 - Dec 17 by Lohengrin

I don't agree.
Politics and bigotry should be kept out of football.
Nothing I dislike more than songs, chants or comments about the English, Cardiff, etc.
I know we are part of Britain and I fully accept that, but imagine say England playing Wales and our Loyalist supporters displaying their flags then ?
I don't know about you, but it doesn't sit right with me.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:42 - Dec 17 with 2775 viewsLoyalSwansea

You’ve obviously not read what the message is on the flag but you’ve decided to jump on your high horse pretending to know exactly what you were talking about!!

None of you were this vocal in the 90s/00s as there was no computer forum to hide behind to express your views!!

Have a good afternoon lads, amazing how boring your life must be to be this upset over a football flag!!
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:45 - Dec 17 with 2767 viewsbyron

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:31 - Dec 17 by STID2017

I don't agree.
Nothing I dislike more than songs, chants or comments about the English, Cardiff, etc.
I know we are part of Britain and I fully accept that, but imagine say England playing Wales and our Loyalist supporters displaying their flags then ?

Byron agrees with you

Benny

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:46 - Dec 17 with 2767 viewsLohengrin

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:28 - Dec 17 by Ebo

I could not care what nationality is on the flag Loh, it is the message that bothers a lot of people and let's be frank, politics and sectarianism must be kept out of our club.

Let’s be honest, Eb, there won’t be too many Latin scholars popping into the Riverside for a quick one at half time...

The lad has said the axiom is being used in tribute to the Rifles. Fair enough, I don’t know him, I don’t think, but I’ve no cause to doubt him. There’s nothing intrinsically sectarian about it anyway. Yes, the gangsters from the UDA made use of it but by the same token it was adopted by the avowedly Popish St. Patrick’s Association and for much the same reason, I suspect - to lend some Biblical, classical heft to their regalia.

Like I’ve already said, banning points of view? Meh!

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:48 - Dec 17 with 2758 viewsLohengrin

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:31 - Dec 17 by STID2017

I don't agree.

I’m happy for you to disagree. That’s the kernel of my argument.

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 16:41 - Dec 17 with 2642 viewsfouad2000

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:48 - Dec 17 by Lohengrin

I’m happy for you to disagree. That’s the kernel of my argument.

I’m Not haappy happy for you to disagree. That’s the kernel of my argument.
Login to get fewer ads

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 18:27 - Dec 17 with 2557 viewsLoyal

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 16:41 - Dec 17 by fouad2000

I’m Not haappy happy for you to disagree. That’s the kernel of my argument.

Are you new ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 21:08 - Dec 17 with 2474 viewsSTID2017

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 18:27 - Dec 17 by Loyal

Are you new ?

Press on the username and it comes up with "This User Doesn't Exist" - so new he /she doesn't exist yet !

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 22:55 - Dec 17 with 2407 viewslonglostjack

I'm going to get together with Dwight and we're going to make a massive Swans and Man.Utd joint flag.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2018 23:14]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 23:40 - Dec 17 with 2375 viewsjackrmee

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:01 - Dec 17 by LoyalSwansea

Never acted like everyone agrees with me!!

Stop acting a goat and pretending you know me you pleb

Never once said I know you. Haven't got a fuking clue who you are mate. Don't know where you got that one from. I was responding to another post. I haven't even seen the flag apart from on this thread. I don't agree with the flag being linked to SCFC, and in turn, me...
You're taking things personally for some unknown reason.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 04:47 - Dec 18 with 2330 viewsSTID2017

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 23:40 - Dec 17 by jackrmee

Never once said I know you. Haven't got a fuking clue who you are mate. Don't know where you got that one from. I was responding to another post. I haven't even seen the flag apart from on this thread. I don't agree with the flag being linked to SCFC, and in turn, me...
You're taking things personally for some unknown reason.

I did tell him you responded to my comment about your avatar, but he seemed to ignore that - strange !

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 23:49 - Dec 18 with 2146 viewsLohengrin

[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 0:15]

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:01 - Dec 21 with 1930 viewstrampie

I see that the Northern Ireland Glasgow Rangers loyalist flag has been banned, lots of complaints so they say, lots of people think half and half scarves are naff, is this the flag equivalent ?

Swansea till I die does not apply to everyone that call themselves Swans fans some have other allegiances so it seems.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2018 10:05]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 12:44 - Dec 21 with 1883 viewsSTID2017

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:01 - Dec 21 by trampie

I see that the Northern Ireland Glasgow Rangers loyalist flag has been banned, lots of complaints so they say, lots of people think half and half scarves are naff, is this the flag equivalent ?

Swansea till I die does not apply to everyone that call themselves Swans fans some have other allegiances so it seems.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2018 10:05]

When I go to Preston in January, I will also be going to see Everton on the Sunday, then Man City on the Monday evening.

I played football last night and wore a Finland football shirt.

My Swans one was in the wash
I have even been to watch Newport at Rodney Parade and (wait for pelters) Cardiff at the Legoland.
My main reason is to visit 92 grounds
Have been to Sheffield United, Millwall, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Villa, Rotherham, Bolton and Derby this season.
Yet by your reckoning, I suppose I wouldn't count as a STID supporter because I dared to watch teams other than Swans ?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:32 - Dec 21 with 1860 viewstrampie

I've been to everyone of those grounds supporting Swansea and not ever flying/wearing opponents of the Swans colours.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 14:06 - Dec 21 with 1849 viewsSTID2017

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 13:32 - Dec 21 by trampie

I've been to everyone of those grounds supporting Swansea and not ever flying/wearing opponents of the Swans colours.

So by your reckoning that makes you a more loyal supporter than those like to mark the occasion by buying a scarf with both teams names on ?
I have followed Swans as have many since we became City and in that time have enjoyed many games at grounds, including Ninian Park, where Swans were not involved.
Please tell me how I rate in your classing of a "loyal" supporter ?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 14:16 - Dec 21 with 1840 views1462jack

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 14:06 - Dec 21 by STID2017

So by your reckoning that makes you a more loyal supporter than those like to mark the occasion by buying a scarf with both teams names on ?
I have followed Swans as have many since we became City and in that time have enjoyed many games at grounds, including Ninian Park, where Swans were not involved.

Don’t rise to him mate
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 15:08 - Dec 21 with 1812 viewstrampie

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 14:06 - Dec 21 by STID2017

I never said that, I saw Newport v Gas Heads in 82, Newport v Kaardiff in 83, Kaardiff v Chelsea in 84 and Ton Pentre v Kaardiff in FA Cup in 86, as well as Merthyr v Spurs and Wolves [if memory serves me right] in the 70s friendlies and Newport v Everton in the cup.

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 20:14 - Dec 21 with 1747 viewsTNT

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 12:44 - Dec 21 by STID2017

When I go to Preston in January, I will also be going to see Everton on the Sunday, then Man City on the Monday evening.

I played football last night and wore a Finland football shirt.

My Swans one was in the wash
I have even been to watch Newport at Rodney Parade and (wait for pelters) Cardiff at the Legoland.
My main reason is to visit 92 grounds
Have been to Sheffield United, Millwall, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Villa, Rotherham, Bolton and Derby this season.
Yet by your reckoning, I suppose I wouldn't count as a STID supporter because I dared to watch teams other than Swans ?

92 with The Swans is the target mun mwsh.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 22:49 - Dec 21 with 1702 viewsSTID2017

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 20:14 - Dec 21 by TNT

I don't think I'll live that long !
I'll try for the 92 first then IF I get there, I'll make sure to do the grounds I haven't done with the Swans

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 23:20 - Dec 21 with 1692 viewsSTID2017

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 20:14 - Dec 21 by TNT

Currently on 24 of the current league grounds (including the Liberty) watching Swans.
Anticipating another 8 before season's end ( without any extras added if we progress in the Cup)
Visited four others and will do another two in January
So should have reached 38 by the end of the season.
Not bad for someone who's hardly been away since 1981 (many of the teams I went to back then have either moved to new stadium or gone out of the league)

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 01:01 - Dec 22 with 1667 viewsTNT

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 23:20 - Dec 21 by STID2017

Currently on 24 of the current league grounds (including the Liberty) watching Swans.
Anticipating another 8 before season's end ( without any extras added if we progress in the Cup)
Visited four others and will do another two in January
So should have reached 38 by the end of the season.
Not bad for someone who's hardly been away since 1981 (many of the teams I went to back then have either moved to new stadium or gone out of the league)

I was on 90 / 92 at one time (I think I had Pompey and Leicester to do - both of which I've since done a few times), but some, then non-league clubs, have entered the league since our second rise, so a few more to do still. Never know, it may happen one day. I could've done 'the two' without The Swans, just to do the 92, but decided against that. No regrets. But I get why some do the 92 regardless of who plays. Respect.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 01:09 - Dec 22 with 1665 viewsSTID2017

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 01:01 - Dec 22 by TNT

I was on 90 / 92 at one time (I think I had Pompey and Leicester to do - both of which I've since done a few times), but some, then non-league clubs, have entered the league since our second rise, so a few more to do still. Never know, it may happen one day. I could've done 'the two' without The Swans, just to do the 92, but decided against that. No regrets. But I get why some do the 92 regardless of who plays. Respect.

you did well to see the Swans at that many grounds.
Even counting the likes of Arsenal, Huddersfield, Chester, Wrexham, etc.,, the most I could muster was 48 (5 of those are none-Swans games).
So total respect to you.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024