Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... 17:56 - Nov 26 with 5517 views_

It will be interesting to see what transpires after that chastising defeat against Norwich. I wasn't confident but I didn't expect to be out of it after half hour.

I know there are some on here that feel Potter is above criticism and whilst I love what he's doing overall and we're more than heading in the right direction after a difficult period, I still wonder as to some of his decisions.

Grimes at left back was cruelly exposed on Saturday and I feel it's an experiment that needs nipping in the bud or worse will still to come.

For their first goal he's on the ball in space near the touch line. He's got Rodon alongside him pointing to go back to Mulder. He ignores this and chips an aimless ball upfield. It's won in the air and ends up with one of theirs facing our goal. It took 6 seconds from the point Grimes chipped it upfield to when Pukki receives it bearing down on the right hand side of our goal.

Grimes does not have the instinct to look along the back four and keep in shape. He was caught somewhat ballwatching while it ended up past him and them scoring.

The third goal. How the fack we got caught so out of shape from a long punt down field from their centre half I don't know.

You had a shape as follows....

--------------------------------- VdH

---------------------- Rodon

----------------------------- Grimes

With Grimes going up for the challenge. This is our left back!! Why VdH and Rodon had gone on wanders I don't know and why Grimes had hooked so far over, again, no idea.

But this left a gaping hole down our left and once the ball was flicked down, it was an easy pass to someone with all the room in the world.

Connor, hopefully can stop playing the Billy big bollocks now his contract is signed as he was painfully slow to get back to our far post for that third goal (and was roasted for their fourth) but the damage was done with the nonexistent shape or lack of organisation.

The first half was down to Potter. I'm not going to apportion too much blame on Celina, although it was a big, big error that compounded a poor shift from our gaffer.

I really didn't think left back was a position we needed to mess around with and I hope we can get Olsson playing regularly there and see Grimes moved back to midfield. At least give him a consistent run of games there.

I haven't read Potters comments after the game so don't know if he's held his hands up or put it down to a steep learning curve.

But for me, it was another example of needless tinkering.

A caveat for the faint of heart. I'm not slagging our manager off I don't want him to fail and I'm not criticising him for the sake of it.

I'm just saying it as I saw it on Saturday. Let's hope he can sort this out and we learn in time for the Baggies.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 18:08 - Nov 26 with 3211 viewsCatullus

Naughton, where's his best position in this league? Superb in right back, centre mid?!!
Matty - left back or the most developed centre mid we've seen so far this season.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 18:23 - Nov 26 with 3158 viewsLeonWasGod

Olsson’s being nursed back from injury, or at least he was. Not sure if that’s still in Potter’s thinking.

Yep, shape was all over the place on Saturday, although credit Norwich as their movement in the final third was very good.

It’ll be very interesting to see how we respond to that. How many times have we had to make a major re-shuffle now by half time? Seems a lot. We’ve started Grimes in mid before, he was poor and moved into left back and did well (agree though - he’s a midfielder, not a lb). Same with Naughton.

It must be doing Potter’s suede in. They finish one game well in one position and then have a ‘mare the next game and he has to swap them back again. A bit of the same going on with Celina too - sometimes he runs the show from no 10, other time Potter has to push him out wide.

Inconsistent would describe us nicely this season.
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:02 - Nov 26 with 3088 views34dfgdf54

Ollson has been woefully out of form for ages, though I agree Grimes isn’t working there, it was worth a go due to his performances earlier in the season but it can be stopped now.

Not sure how the first half can be solely down to Potter mind you, I just think you rate our players a lot better than they actually are.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 20:11]
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:05 - Nov 26 with 3074 viewsDippy

I have not seen anything other than a midtable Championship team so far.

Next level!

Poll: Cooper Out

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:06 - Nov 26 with 3059 viewsswan65split

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 18:23 - Nov 26 by LeonWasGod

Olsson’s being nursed back from injury, or at least he was. Not sure if that’s still in Potter’s thinking.

Yep, shape was all over the place on Saturday, although credit Norwich as their movement in the final third was very good.

It’ll be very interesting to see how we respond to that. How many times have we had to make a major re-shuffle now by half time? Seems a lot. We’ve started Grimes in mid before, he was poor and moved into left back and did well (agree though - he’s a midfielder, not a lb). Same with Naughton.

It must be doing Potter’s suede in. They finish one game well in one position and then have a ‘mare the next game and he has to swap them back again. A bit of the same going on with Celina too - sometimes he runs the show from no 10, other time Potter has to push him out wide.

I dont think Olsson has been fit all season, he was struggling with cramp in a few games , and seemed off the pace.
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:19 - Nov 26 with 3029 viewsThornburyswan

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:05 - Nov 26 by Dippy

Next level!

Unfortunately you are spot on, personally & assuming minimal investment in the Jan window I'd take 10th - 14th now.

For me wrong side on Saturday with too many young/inexperienced players vs a good well organised confident side - they were better than us all over the pitch. That said we did help them out with a combination of both individual & team errors on at least 3 of their 4 goals.

We are, at best, adequate at the back, average in midfield & poor up front - Potter has done well & has my full support but he needs to be more consistent with formation/players & work harder/better in the final third - we are woeful with our decision making & execution around the opposition box & we don't even seem to have a clear plan/strategy which doesn't help us build momentum.

Anything out of the next two matches will be a positive.
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:20 - Nov 26 with 3029 viewskarnataka

Would that be Potter's suede shoes or coat?
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:20 - Nov 26 with 3024 viewsFireboy2

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:06 - Nov 26 by swan65split

I dont think Olsson has been fit all season, he was struggling with cramp in a few games , and seemed off the pace.

Spoke to him at sheffield station after the rotherham game and he said hes been having back spasms
Login to get fewer ads

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:26 - Nov 26 with 3003 viewsLeonWasGod

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:20 - Nov 26 by karnataka

Would that be Potter's suede shoes or coat?

Ha! A man of high fashion is our Graham. Suede, swede, all the same sort of stuff. You should see his swede hat.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 19:27]
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:30 - Nov 26 with 2993 viewsLeonWasGod

Next level!

Agree. We’re not as strong as our promotion side that’s for sure.
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:30 - Nov 26 with 2989 viewsTailGunner

Reflective (not knee jerk) post by the OP, without attacking the manager, and some very fair points.

I feel sick

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:03 - Nov 26 with 2895 viewsItchySphincter

Good OP. If days like that are few and far between I'll take it as one of those things, but I think describing it as a wake up call for the manager is about right, although half the team didn't cover themselves in glory either. VdH was off the pace again, Rodon and Connor both had poor games, Fer was off the boil..... the list goes on....

One of those days I'm afraid.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 20:11]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:03 - Nov 26 with 2896 viewsjacabertawe

The general comments regarding out largely young team are spot in. They - no fault of theirs, let me add - lack the physicality and guile of more seasoned Championship players.
Fer is a huge disappointment, as one of the far more experienced players from whom we need more consistency and general intellegent play.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:08 - Nov 26 with 2879 viewsItchySphincter

Grimes has been one of our best midfielders this year. You say he was moved back because he was poor - you made that up.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 20:10]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:13 - Nov 26 with 2850 viewsDippy

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:08 - Nov 26 by ItchySphincter

Grimes has been one of our best midfielders this year. You say he was moved back because he was poor - you made that up.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 20:10]

That's the problem.. we're relying on Matt Grimes to fill a huge hole.

We've been decimated

Poll: Cooper Out

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:39 - Nov 26 with 2787 views_

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:03 - Nov 26 by jacabertawe

The general comments regarding out largely young team are spot in. They - no fault of theirs, let me add - lack the physicality and guile of more seasoned Championship players.
Fer is a huge disappointment, as one of the far more experienced players from whom we need more consistency and general intellegent play.

Mulder 30
Roberts 23
VdH 26
Rodon 21
Grimes 23

Naughton 30
Fer 28
Fulton 24
Celina 22
James 21

McBurnie 22

In fairness that's not an overly young side. Age is definitely on our side but there's a good blend there and I doubt we differed wildly from Norwich.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:40 - Nov 26 with 2785 views_

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:13 - Nov 26 by Dippy

That's the problem.. we're relying on Matt Grimes to fill a huge hole.

We've been decimated

No we're not.

We're asking him to do a job he's more than capable of.

sensationalist bollocks again

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 21:04 - Nov 26 with 2733 views34dfgdf54

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:40 - Nov 26 by _

No we're not.

We're asking him to do a job he's more than capable of.

sensationalist bollocks again

Has he? Apart from a few decent games at the start of this year he has struggled massively at this standard, and played for a relegated league one side last season.

Mulder - not much experience in English football, and been a number 2/3 for the majority of time he’s been here.
Roberts - first year at this level as he couldn’t get in the Boro side.
Rodon - first season at senior level. Struggled at Cheltenham.
James - same as above.
Fulton - struggled to get in a league one side last year.

I’m not slagging the players above off, they’ve all done brilliantly for us, but I don’t get this notion we have a squad which should be competing this year.
A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 21:24 - Nov 26 with 2678 views_

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 21:04 - Nov 26 by 34dfgdf54

Has he? Apart from a few decent games at the start of this year he has struggled massively at this standard, and played for a relegated league one side last season.

Mulder - not much experience in English football, and been a number 2/3 for the majority of time he’s been here.
James - same as above.

I’m not slagging the players above off, they’ve all done brilliantly for us, but I don’t get this notion we have a squad which should be competing this year.

Has he what?

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 21:30 - Nov 26 with 2647 views_

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 21:04 - Nov 26 by 34dfgdf54

James - same as above.

And as for the squad competing this season.

We have and we will. We'll be in the mix come the end and should be in the top 6 now.

We let ourselves down Saturday and there's also a big argument Potter isn't utilising our best squad. Dyer and Routs could still do a job especially after a few games but they're not getting a look in. Meanwhile we play a right back in right midfield, a centre mid at left back and we change the goalkeeper for no real obvious reason.

There must be some method to his madness but on occasion it just looks, well, what it is really, mad.

You've leapt on this conclusion early doors that we're not going for gold this season and you want to make excuses at every possible junction to express that view.

We'll see how it pans out.

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 21:43 - Nov 26 with 2613 viewsLoyal

Next level!

One season being this is fine by me.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 21:54 - Nov 26 with 2579 viewsunion_jack

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 19:26 - Nov 26 by LeonWasGod

Ha! A man of high fashion is our Graham. Suede, swede, all the same sort of stuff. You should see his swede hat.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 19:27]

Swede hat? That would be a turnip for the books.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 22:47 - Nov 26 with 2461 viewsyescomeon

Was a bad result sure, but I don't think we were that bad, but we were really punished for our mistakes. We've played worse than that and got results. Starting line-up clearly was wrong but looking at it before the match it looked a good side. Potter was able to identify this and make changes but unfortunately we were two down by that point, and own goal and a mistake. After that we had to chase the game which played into Norwich's hands. Have to add, Norwich were brilliant going forward. Not many teams in this league will punish us like that.

Upthecity!

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 00:03 - Nov 27 with 2369 views_

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 22:47 - Nov 26 by yescomeon

Was a bad result sure, but I don't think we were that bad, but we were really punished for our mistakes. We've played worse than that and got results. Starting line-up clearly was wrong but looking at it before the match it looked a good side. Potter was able to identify this and make changes but unfortunately we were two down by that point, and own goal and a mistake. After that we had to chase the game which played into Norwich's hands. Have to add, Norwich were brilliant going forward. Not many teams in this league will punish us like that.

I've just watched the game back and I have to agree. They were more than clinical but they had the chance to be on the back of our mistakes.

Grimes really stood out second half in midfield. Olsson was solid and offered more than a threat going forward so they have to be in those positions Wednesday. Bony was rusty as but that will come with him and watching it back his fitness seemed remarkably good. Mcburnie spread some great cross field balls and James was dangerous here and there although he does need to measure his crosses on times. He can be a bit guilty of getting across no matter what, although we've had a goal or two from this already.

Side I wouldn't object to for West Brom:

-------------------- Mulder -------------------

Naughton -- VdH ---- Rodon --- Olsson

---------- Grimes -------- Fulton -----------

James ---------- Celina ------- McBurnie

------------------ W. Bony ------------------

Give Bony more minutes from the start with Mcburnie playing off him down the left coming in. I think that can work. Roberts to rest it out and bring him back down to earth a bit. Keep a solid back five with the old guard full backs although I wouldn't be surprised to see Nordvelt or Carter Vickers in.

James was a little bit hit and miss on Saturday but I'd play him again, just, and Celina needs to make up for his mistake. He should play at 10. Options from the bench: Fer, Roberts, McKay and hopefully Montero.

This side will also keep an element of continuity - which we could do with.

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 08:09 - Nov 27 with 2176 viewsThornburyswan

A Pretty Big Wake Up Call... on 20:39 - Nov 26 by _

Mulder 30
Roberts 23
VdH 26
Rodon 21
Grimes 23

Naughton 30
Fer 28
Fulton 24
Celina 22
James 21

McBurnie 22

In fairness that's not an overly young side. Age is definitely on our side but there's a good blend there and I doubt we differed wildly from Norwich.

You are correct on the ages but Nauts, VDH & Fer aside they lack real tough match experience & match craft - we looked ok until we gifted them the first two goals & apart from a reasonable 15/20 mins around HT we never looked capable of getting back into the game.

Suspect the Norwich side is no older, may even be younger, but they looked well organised & confident and grew strongly into the game after the own goal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024