Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen 18:10 - Nov 26 with 11613 viewsswanjackal

I recently logged in to facebook for the first time in several months, and was greeted instantly with an old acquaintance's post of his top 10 films of all time, and despite being very generic, it got me thinking of my own.

I find it near impossible to compile such lists, as it probably changes based on the mood I'm in, so I looked up some best of lists and found Empire's 100 greatest list.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-movies/

Looking down the list, I have only actually seen around 45 of them, but what stands out to me is that I have never watched the number one choice, The Godfather. Well I have watched about 20 minutes or so, but fell asleep. Anyone else have a "classic" that they have not seen?

Also, the Empire list is way off from my own personal choices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:13 - Nov 26 with 7811 viewsHighjack

How do you know they are great films if you haven’t seen them

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:15 - Nov 26 with 7805 viewsswanjackal

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:13 - Nov 26 by Highjack

How do you know they are great films if you haven’t seen them

Maybe I should have placed inverted commas around Greatest in the title. Greatest based on critical acclaim and popular votes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:24 - Nov 26 with 7782 viewssherpajacob

I love the spaghetti westerns, imho the good, the bad and the ugly is one of the greatest films of all time, if not the greatest.

Yet, I've never seen once upon a,time in the west.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:25 - Nov 26 with 7778 viewsjackharris

The Godfather Movies 🎥 never seen them...
Schindler’s List never seen
Slumdog Millionaire never seen
Citizen Kane
Casablanca
It’s a Wonderful Life
The Lord of the Rings - I will never watch that
Alien - Mega Crap
Never seen all of the above...

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:35 - Nov 26 with 7764 viewsLeonWasGod

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:25 - Nov 26 by jackharris

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
It’s a Wonderful Life
Alien - Mega Crap

Instead of watching Debbie Does Dallas 50 times you could have broadened you horizons

(I haven’t seen most of those either, Schindler’s List and LOTR aside. I’ve seen on of the Godfather movies (one with the horse’s head).

Also not seen:
Fight club
Taxi Driver
Psycho
Raging Bull
Clockwork Orange
Greatest Showman (not sure if that’s even a film, but there seem to be songs on the radio from whatever it is)
Gone With The Wind
West side Story

It’d be quicker to list what I have seen.
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:35 - Nov 26 with 7764 viewsswanjackal

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:25 - Nov 26 by jackharris

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
It’s a Wonderful Life
Alien - Mega Crap

I have not seen any of them either (apart from Alien)

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:41 - Nov 26 with 7742 viewstrampie

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:35 - Nov 26 by LeonWasGod

Instead of watching Debbie Does Dallas 50 times you could have broadened you horizons

(I haven’t seen most of those either, Schindler’s List and LOTR aside. I’ve seen on of the Godfather movies (one with the horse’s head).

Also not seen:
Fight club
Taxi Driver
Psycho
Raging Bull
Clockwork Orange
Greatest Showman (not sure if that’s even a film, but there seem to be songs on the radio from whatever it is)
Gone With The Wind
West side Story

It’d be quicker to list what I have seen.

I was just going to say where is 'Debbie does Dallas' on the list.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:49 - Nov 26 with 7730 viewsLeonWasGod

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:41 - Nov 26 by trampie

I was just going to say where is 'Debbie does Dallas' on the list.

A classic of our time. I’ve not seen that either, but it’s on the wish list
Login to get fewer ads

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:50 - Nov 26 with 7723 viewstrampie

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:49 - Nov 26 by LeonWasGod

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:56 - Nov 26 with 7711 viewsswanjackal

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:49 - Nov 26 by LeonWasGod

It's okay, not a classic. What holds it back is only being able to watch it in 10 minute spurts....I mean bursts.

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 19:11 - Nov 26 with 7687 viewsDr_Winston

78/100. About where I'd expect to be.

Not seen a lot of the oldies like Singing in the Rain or Rear Window but almost all of them from about 1970 onwards.

Edit- Miscount. Was 79/100.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 19:18 - Nov 26 with 7663 viewstheloneranger

92/100

Some I wish I really hadn't wasted my time on , but some classics in there

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 19:22 - Nov 26 with 7655 viewsBrynCartwright

Never seen Citizen Kane, despite it being lauded as the best film ever many times. The best film ever made is, of course...

Miss Congeniality 2, Armed & Fabulous

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 19:40 - Nov 26 with 7638 viewsDr_Winston

Citizen Kane is a very, very good film.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 19:45 - Nov 26 with 7629 viewsangryjack

Went to the cinema to watch Schindler's list I was told to take a box of hanky's with me...I don't know why there was fuk all to wa#k about
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 19:46 - Nov 26 with 7630 viewsswanjackal

I just can't get behind a list of greatest films without Coming to America, Blazing Saddles and Team America.

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 00:39 - Nov 27 with 7504 viewsjackrmee

True Romance

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 00:40 - Nov 27 with 7501 viewsSwanjaxs

Debbie does Dunvant
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 0:42]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 01:02 - Nov 27 with 7483 viewsLord_Bony

Alien.

Now 40 years old,way ahead of its time.

A Ridley Scott classic.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 04:32 - Nov 27 with 7443 viewsmajorraglan

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 01:02 - Nov 27 by Lord_Bony

Alien.

Now 40 years old,way ahead of its time.

A Ridley Scott classic.

I have seen about half of them, there are some really good films on the list, but equally quite a few I don’t rate. I suspect because there’s “voting” it’s skewed towards new films, there are some really good old films that didn’t feature.
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 06:54 - Nov 27 with 7422 viewsDr_Winston

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 04:32 - Nov 27 by majorraglan

I have seen about half of them, there are some really good films on the list, but equally quite a few I don’t rate. I suspect because there’s “voting” it’s skewed towards new films, there are some really good old films that didn’t feature.

I guess it depends on what people consider as "best". Technical quality, entertainment value, there's loads of parameters you could apply. I'm sure most people could list 20 movies they think more deserving of a place on a list like that than some that are.

And as you say, these things often get skewed towards newer films.

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 07:51 - Nov 27 with 7393 viewsBirchgrovejack

Ive seen 74/100 of those and most are really good films.
How on earth Drive has made it onto that list is beyond me though, a really bang average film.

A lot of the films on that list I will probably never watch though, they just don't seem to appeal to me at all.
Casablanca
12 Angry men
Lawrence of Arabia
just to name a few.
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 08:31 - Nov 27 with 7376 viewsmajorraglan

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 07:51 - Nov 27 by Birchgrovejack

Ive seen 74/100 of those and most are really good films.
How on earth Drive has made it onto that list is beyond me though, a really bang average film.

A lot of the films on that list I will probably never watch though, they just don't seem to appeal to me at all.
Casablanca
12 Angry men
Lawrence of Arabia
just to name a few.

I wasn’t fussed on Casablanc and Lawrence of Arabia myself but I thought 12 Angry Men with Henry Ford was outstanding. I just happened across it one day when flckng through the TV looking for something to watch. Another film which is touted as being right up there is High Noon, I was surprised that’s wasn’t in the list.

Edit -typo
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 8:32]
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 09:11 - Nov 27 with 7353 viewsMrSwerve

I stopped taking the list seriously when I saw The Social Network in the top 100...

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 09:41 - Nov 27 with 7332 viewsswanjackal

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 08:31 - Nov 27 by majorraglan

I wasn’t fussed on Casablanc and Lawrence of Arabia myself but I thought 12 Angry Men with Henry Ford was outstanding. I just happened across it one day when flckng through the TV looking for something to watch. Another film which is touted as being right up there is High Noon, I was surprised that’s wasn’t in the list.

Edit -typo
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 8:32]

12 Angry Men is a classic, probably only that and Blade Runner are the only two on the list that would come near my top ten. Was my grandfathers favourite film (well that and Requiem for a Heavyweight) and remember him sitting me down and watching it at a very young age. Although it has left me with an awkward habit of looking at the bridge of a person's nose when i first meet them to see for glasses marks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024