Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of Confidence and Confusion 10:11 - Nov 29 with 3462 views_

We've hit a brick wall and I'm afraid the writing was all over it in Bolton. I said at the time I felt a lot better after that gut wrenching loss at Rotherham. At least we bossed the game and apart from the obvious concern that we're not scoring enough, we played very well.

Potter said after that game that we'd learn from the experience and maybe this played a part in the poor second half at the Reebok. We barely contained a poor Bolton side and nearly got our just deserts.

Then the dreaded international break and we all knew we were in for a tough couple of weeks with the fixture's we had coming up.

Looking back, we more than took the game to Norwich early doors, we came out of the traps a lot better than we finished at Bolton and I think the players fancied themselves to beat them. Then, the horror show starts and before we knew it we've given away 3 of the softest goal we're likely to concede all season, and all of them completely unavoidable.

Without going into detail the Grimes experiment at left back really cost us for the first and third, although why VdH wasn't commanding his defence to stay in shape for the third I've no idea. Celina's drag back to try and beat a man on our 18 yard line was just horrible as well and he's been really affected by that as last night was his worst performance in a Swans shirt by far.

Onto last night and once again we're playing well, OK, we're 5 at the back so we're not committing many players into the box and chances weren't that many, but we got some and we should've done better with at least two more.

But that Norwich game has rocked us and the boys making their way in the game need to toughen up a bit mentally. I've read this week they wanted to apologise for Saturday and they want to give something back to the Jack Army etc, the usual platitudes perhaps, but I saw Ollie come over to the East and cup his hands as if in a prayer shape and was gesturing to say sorry.

Now on the face of that, that's great, shows they care, they want to win etc.... It also shows they care a bit too much about the fans and how they may see the individual players. I'm noticing a few of the youngsters throwing their arms up in the air on the pitch. Connor has done this all season and was having a go at Ollie last night again. Dan James did the same when Fer's poor chipped pass went over his head.

There's too much worrying about what's going on around them or what's being said in the stands and not enough about just concentrating on their own performances and looking after your team mates.

But this is a confidence thing as well. When it's going well and we're winning games or playing well and the crowd is up its great. When the mood descends there kids visibly suffer. The Norwich game knocked the stuffing out of them and they looked very fragile. The only way they'll get over this is with learning from it and being coached. When we go a goal down for example, you haven't got to start doing silly things to try and get back in it immediately.

Also, the confusion.

Potter has to hold his hands up here because after nearly half the season he's played some players in so many different positions it's all been a bit bloody crazy, really. Including the goalkeeping issue and has that had an affect on both of them. Mulder looked shaky last night, he didn't look shaky in that run of 8 games.

We've had Naughton play right back, centre mid, defensive mid and even attacking mid in Millwall.
We've had Roberts play right back and right midfield
We've had Carter Vickers play right back, left back and centre half.
We've had Grimes play left back and centre mid.
We've had Dan James play right wing and centre forward
We've had Ollie play centre forward and number 10 and left wing

And we've bombed out two senior pros that could've made a real difference here and there this season in Dyer and Routs.

We're all confused because we've actually believed the rotating and tinkering were all part of a master plan. But all that's happened is we've got players who are Jack of all trades, master of none.

Connor went straight down the tunnel yesterday after having his head in his hands for 30 seconds sat on the bench. He's being asked to provide the craft and guile at right forward and it's probably not been fair on him.

How handy would it be for, let's say Dyer (or McKay for those adamant Potters doing the right thing in not playing him) to have Connor supporting him and making those runs past him, creating two no ones down the flank and getting to the bye line?! Because now it's Connor more often than not who's got the ball on the corner of the box and his only option is to chip it in for the one man we've got in the box, Ollie.

This is why they've arguing on the pitch.

Potter needs to get it in to his players they need to concentrate on their own game and not how they maybe perceived from the stands. He also needs to do the right thing by them and stop switching them around to environments they're not comfortable with or used to.

We need to get back to basics at both ends of the pitch.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 10:18 - Nov 29 with 2023 viewsDarran

Another load of wànk as usual.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 10:19 - Nov 29 with 2032 viewsYossarian

I NEVER thought I’d agree with anything you post...but I was wrong. Fair post all round and some very sound, thought-provoking points.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 10:30 - Nov 29 with 1972 viewsDarran

There’s only one problem with some people and that’s that they thought/think we are better than what we are and refused to recognise the way the squad was decimated during the summer leaving it paper thin.
It was always going to catch up with us,there’s no way the likes of Dan,Joe etc should be playing three games a week at this stage in their careers.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 10:34 - Nov 29 with 1981 viewsYossarian

Agree with that Darran.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 11:50 - Nov 29 with 1866 viewsjack247

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 10:30 - Nov 29 by Darran

There’s only one problem with some people and that’s that they thought/think we are better than what we are and refused to recognise the way the squad was decimated during the summer leaving it paper thin.
It was always going to catch up with us,there’s no way the likes of Dan,Joe etc should be playing three games a week at this stage in their careers.

To be fair, I thought it was a very good opening post with very little to disagree with, but there’s also a lot of merit in what you say.

There’s a lot to be positive about, but the players brought in to make up the numbers (John, CCV, Asoro etc) haven’t really stepped up to the plate and provided competition. The Christmas period is going to be telling one way or another.
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 11:53 - Nov 29 with 1856 views34dfgdf54

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 11:50 - Nov 29 by jack247

To be fair, I thought it was a very good opening post with very little to disagree with, but there’s also a lot of merit in what you say.

There’s a lot to be positive about, but the players brought in to make up the numbers (John, CCV, Asoro etc) haven’t really stepped up to the plate and provided competition. The Christmas period is going to be telling one way or another.

I think CCV is a good player, and to be fair, he'd be starting for me now as I'd be giving Rodon a rest.

John was always going to be a pointless signing, but hopefully Jordi can give Ollson some competition as he needs it.
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 11:56 - Nov 29 with 1848 viewsItchySphincter

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 10:18 - Nov 29 by Darran

Another load of wànk as usual.

Nah, there’s a good bit of sense in to there. Management need to step up.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 11:58 - Nov 29 with 1842 viewsItchySphincter

That is also fair, but it is what we’ve got and has the potential to turn our very well. Can’t throw them to the wolves though, they need more help.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:04 - Nov 29 with 1816 viewsDarran

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 11:53 - Nov 29 by 34dfgdf54

I think CCV is a good player, and to be fair, he'd be starting for me now as I'd be giving Rodon a rest.

John was always going to be a pointless signing, but hopefully Jordi can give Ollson some competition as he needs it.

CCV isn’t tall enough.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:11 - Nov 29 with 1802 viewsjack247

I think he looks a decent enough stopper. Doesn’t look particularly comfortable on the ball for me, which is obviously a bigger part of Potters game plan for the centre backs than it would have been under his predecessors.

There’s no real competition for VdH, Rodon, Celina, McBurnie, James (if you count Montero as an impact sub). Fer is unlikely to be left out regardless of form if he’s fit. Roberts is always going to start, be it at RB or RW. For all the tinkering, 5 of those are young players and are playing nearly every game.
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:12 - Nov 29 with 1800 views_

What's the tatty prick saying?

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:17 - Nov 29 with 1782 views_

Totally disagree with resting Rodon. Get him out there as much as possible.

He seems so assured in virtually everything he does. VdH is perhaps a little bit quiet next to him for the senior pro but from what we've seen of Rodon he's got it all at centre back. Looks a genuine EPL star of the future.

I like Carter Vickers as well and would like to see him tried as the midfield dog. I know that would be another tinkering but I feel the boy deserves game time. So it's either that or maybe let's be brave and play Carter Vickers and Rodon. Not in Derby but maybe Brentford.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:18 - Nov 29 with 1782 viewsDewi1jack

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:04 - Nov 29 by Darran

CCV isn’t tall enough.

I know Dar

And I agree with your earlier post about young uns playing too many games as well as an awful lot that Chris said in the opener.
I think that's the first time I've agreed with both of you in a thread in recent memory!!

Trouble is IMHO Rodon's confidence is shot to sh1t. He looked like a rabbit in the spot lamp at times last night.
Very indecisive at times.
We are where we are player wise, so maybe trying CCV there is the only option.

Although Mikey and Martin need to step up and lead the defence as they're the most experienced.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:19 - Nov 29 with 1766 viewsDarran

Fair point but the bloke is constantly writing contradictory essays. One minute we’ve got a solid squad with strength in depth when we clearly haven’t. This is currently panning out exactly as anyone with a brain cell would have expected.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:20 - Nov 29 with 1764 viewsLeonWasGod

Agree. If people can look past who the poster is, it's a perfectly sensible post and there's nothing there that we can't see for ourselves.

I'd argue it's not necessarily a bad thing to have players used to playing in different positions. But on the flip side stability has well-known benefits. You didn't get Brendan faffing around with our promotion team last time we were in this league (every player knew his role and they more often than not clicked like clockwork on the ball).
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:21 - Nov 29 with 1762 views_

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:18 - Nov 29 by Dewi1jack

I know Dar

And I agree with your earlier post about young uns playing too many games as well as an awful lot that Chris said in the opener.
I think that's the first time I've agreed with both of you in a thread in recent memory!!

Trouble is IMHO Rodon's confidence is shot to sh1t. He looked like a rabbit in the spot lamp at times last night.
Very indecisive at times.
We are where we are player wise, so maybe trying CCV there is the only option.

Although Mikey and Martin need to step up and lead the defence as they're the most experienced.

What?? No mate, come on. He didn't put a foot wrong, well maybe that tackle at the end was a bit nasty 😉

Man of the match on whoscored.com, the stats analysis site.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:39 - Nov 29 with 1719 viewsDewi1jack

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:21 - Nov 29 by _

What?? No mate, come on. He didn't put a foot wrong, well maybe that tackle at the end was a bit nasty 😉

Man of the match on whoscored.com, the stats analysis site.

Opinion really.

I s'pose some of the trouble may be that players in front of him weren't making space to receive a pass which leads to his apparent indecision in going forward.
There were times last night when I do think he could have bombed forward with the ball.
Unless he's been ordered not to. Guess we'll never know that!
Or he's worried about the other defenders not covering for him when he is on a run up the park

Defensively he's doing as well as the other defenders

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:57 - Nov 29 with 1664 views_

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:39 - Nov 29 by Dewi1jack

Opinion really.

I s'pose some of the trouble may be that players in front of him weren't making space to receive a pass which leads to his apparent indecision in going forward.
There were times last night when I do think he could have bombed forward with the ball.
Unless he's been ordered not to. Guess we'll never know that!
Or he's worried about the other defenders not covering for him when he is on a run up the park

Defensively he's doing as well as the other defenders

I'm not sure that's overly in his job description, bombing forward. It's a little negligent for a centre half generally

I'm more worried about Roberts but for me this has more to do with his potential arrogance and the contact situation going to his head

Nobody would or has moaned about him playing too many games. Football leagues are awash with men at 21 plus playing week in week out. That's a load of bollocks they can't do it. It's the only way they'll learn and get better, and that's just where we are now. Learning and getting better. But this applies to Potter as well.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:02 - Nov 29 with 1636 viewsLoyal

If only people could accept this season for what it is and as many agreed at the start.
Going back up this season or any aspirations to do so would be a disaster.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:03 - Nov 29 with 1636 views34dfgdf54

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:17 - Nov 29 by _

Totally disagree with resting Rodon. Get him out there as much as possible.

He seems so assured in virtually everything he does. VdH is perhaps a little bit quiet next to him for the senior pro but from what we've seen of Rodon he's got it all at centre back. Looks a genuine EPL star of the future.

I like Carter Vickers as well and would like to see him tried as the midfield dog. I know that would be another tinkering but I feel the boy deserves game time. So it's either that or maybe let's be brave and play Carter Vickers and Rodon. Not in Derby but maybe Brentford.

To be honest I was thinking exactly the same regarding CCV and Rodon, but as you said in the OP, the youngsters looked visibly shaken yesterday when the crowd got restless. Thought a break may do him good.

Rodon looks the business though I agree.
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:12 - Nov 29 with 1606 views_

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 12:11 - Nov 29 by jack247

I think he looks a decent enough stopper. Doesn’t look particularly comfortable on the ball for me, which is obviously a bigger part of Potters game plan for the centre backs than it would have been under his predecessors.

There’s no real competition for VdH, Rodon, Celina, McBurnie, James (if you count Montero as an impact sub). Fer is unlikely to be left out regardless of form if he’s fit. Roberts is always going to start, be it at RB or RW. For all the tinkering, 5 of those are young players and are playing nearly every game.

I would like to see him pushed further up if we're going with playing Rodon, VdH and him on the same pitch

--------------------------- Mulder --------------------------

Roberts ----- VdH ---------- Rodon ------- Olsson
-------------------- Carter Vickers ------------------------

Montero ------- Grimes ----- Fer -----------James

----------------------------- Bony ------------------------------

Where Mulder could be Nordvelt.
Roberts could be Naughton
Grimes or Fer could be Celina
Montero or James could be Dyer, McKay or even Celina out in wide positions
And Bony could be McBurnie (although we're missing more and more a focal point up top) Here's hoping Bony will keep improving.

Could Carter Vickers do that destroying job so we can push the likes of Fer and Grimes, for example, further up the pitch. Think I'd rather that than an out and out 5 at the back.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:14 - Nov 29 with 1598 views_

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:02 - Nov 29 by Loyal

If only people could accept this season for what it is and as many agreed at the start.
Going back up this season or any aspirations to do so would be a disaster.

Going up would be a disaster.

I can't begin to tell you how ridiculous that is.

But for one if we were good enough to go up we'd be good enough to improve in the Summer to give the EPL a crack.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:17 - Nov 29 with 1589 views_

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:03 - Nov 29 by 34dfgdf54

To be honest I was thinking exactly the same regarding CCV and Rodon, but as you said in the OP, the youngsters looked visibly shaken yesterday when the crowd got restless. Thought a break may do him good.

Rodon looks the business though I agree.

I worry about our crowd and it's the one thing for definite we've got going against us this season to when we were last in the Championship. Then we had unequivocal support, now the fans are too keen to express their frustration.

This will affect the less experienced a lot more than playing regularly.

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:46 - Nov 29 with 1529 viewsjack247

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 13:12 - Nov 29 by _

I would like to see him pushed further up if we're going with playing Rodon, VdH and him on the same pitch

--------------------------- Mulder --------------------------

Roberts ----- VdH ---------- Rodon ------- Olsson
-------------------- Carter Vickers ------------------------

Montero ------- Grimes ----- Fer -----------James

----------------------------- Bony ------------------------------

Where Mulder could be Nordvelt.
Roberts could be Naughton
Grimes or Fer could be Celina
Montero or James could be Dyer, McKay or even Celina out in wide positions
And Bony could be McBurnie (although we're missing more and more a focal point up top) Here's hoping Bony will keep improving.

Could Carter Vickers do that destroying job so we can push the likes of Fer and Grimes, for example, further up the pitch. Think I'd rather that than an out and out 5 at the back.

With regards to Bony and being a focal point, I don’t know why we don’t do it.

I don’t agree with starting him at the moment, but when we bring him on, why don’t we mix it up a bit and play to his chest or fizz balls into his feet and let him bring his strength and control into play. Let Celina, James, McBurnie etc make runs off him.

He’s like a passenger with a few genuine moments of class per game at the moment. We aren’t playing to his strengths.
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 14:04 - Nov 29 with 1487 viewsAlfieMooresSon

At last some sense it's all about the squad and strength in depth !!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024