Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of Confidence and Confusion 10:11 - Nov 29 with 3459 views_

We've hit a brick wall and I'm afraid the writing was all over it in Bolton. I said at the time I felt a lot better after that gut wrenching loss at Rotherham. At least we bossed the game and apart from the obvious concern that we're not scoring enough, we played very well.

Potter said after that game that we'd learn from the experience and maybe this played a part in the poor second half at the Reebok. We barely contained a poor Bolton side and nearly got our just deserts.

Then the dreaded international break and we all knew we were in for a tough couple of weeks with the fixture's we had coming up.

Looking back, we more than took the game to Norwich early doors, we came out of the traps a lot better than we finished at Bolton and I think the players fancied themselves to beat them. Then, the horror show starts and before we knew it we've given away 3 of the softest goal we're likely to concede all season, and all of them completely unavoidable.

Without going into detail the Grimes experiment at left back really cost us for the first and third, although why VdH wasn't commanding his defence to stay in shape for the third I've no idea. Celina's drag back to try and beat a man on our 18 yard line was just horrible as well and he's been really affected by that as last night was his worst performance in a Swans shirt by far.

Onto last night and once again we're playing well, OK, we're 5 at the back so we're not committing many players into the box and chances weren't that many, but we got some and we should've done better with at least two more.

But that Norwich game has rocked us and the boys making their way in the game need to toughen up a bit mentally. I've read this week they wanted to apologise for Saturday and they want to give something back to the Jack Army etc, the usual platitudes perhaps, but I saw Ollie come over to the East and cup his hands as if in a prayer shape and was gesturing to say sorry.

Now on the face of that, that's great, shows they care, they want to win etc.... It also shows they care a bit too much about the fans and how they may see the individual players. I'm noticing a few of the youngsters throwing their arms up in the air on the pitch. Connor has done this all season and was having a go at Ollie last night again. Dan James did the same when Fer's poor chipped pass went over his head.

There's too much worrying about what's going on around them or what's being said in the stands and not enough about just concentrating on their own performances and looking after your team mates.

But this is a confidence thing as well. When it's going well and we're winning games or playing well and the crowd is up its great. When the mood descends there kids visibly suffer. The Norwich game knocked the stuffing out of them and they looked very fragile. The only way they'll get over this is with learning from it and being coached. When we go a goal down for example, you haven't got to start doing silly things to try and get back in it immediately.

Also, the confusion.

Potter has to hold his hands up here because after nearly half the season he's played some players in so many different positions it's all been a bit bloody crazy, really. Including the goalkeeping issue and has that had an affect on both of them. Mulder looked shaky last night, he didn't look shaky in that run of 8 games.

We've had Naughton play right back, centre mid, defensive mid and even attacking mid in Millwall.
We've had Roberts play right back and right midfield
We've had Carter Vickers play right back, left back and centre half.
We've had Grimes play left back and centre mid.
We've had Dan James play right wing and centre forward
We've had Ollie play centre forward and number 10 and left wing

And we've bombed out two senior pros that could've made a real difference here and there this season in Dyer and Routs.

We're all confused because we've actually believed the rotating and tinkering were all part of a master plan. But all that's happened is we've got players who are Jack of all trades, master of none.

Connor went straight down the tunnel yesterday after having his head in his hands for 30 seconds sat on the bench. He's being asked to provide the craft and guile at right forward and it's probably not been fair on him.

How handy would it be for, let's say Dyer (or McKay for those adamant Potters doing the right thing in not playing him) to have Connor supporting him and making those runs past him, creating two no ones down the flank and getting to the bye line?! Because now it's Connor more often than not who's got the ball on the corner of the box and his only option is to chip it in for the one man we've got in the box, Ollie.

This is why they've arguing on the pitch.

Potter needs to get it in to his players they need to concentrate on their own game and not how they maybe perceived from the stands. He also needs to do the right thing by them and stop switching them around to environments they're not comfortable with or used to.

We need to get back to basics at both ends of the pitch.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 23:09 - Nov 29 with 539 viewsLeonWasGod

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 23:05 - Nov 29 by PozuelosSideys

Exactly..i reckon thats the difference as well. If Dan James was putting his chances away and putting his final ball on a plate like SS was doing, then we would be near the top of this division. The rest of his game is good.

Small margins. We arent there yet, but we will grow into it.

Yep we would. I've lost count of the games where we could have been out of sight by half time. Even yesterday we could easily have been 3 up before they scored.

Agree it makes a huge difference with those fine margins. I think we're ok, although a couple of warning signs lately that we struggle to cope with a bit of pressure. Hopefully that'll come too - just a case of gaining experience and some resilience.
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 23:30 - Nov 29 with 513 viewsdobjack2

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 21:46 - Nov 29 by Brynmill_Jack

Not one of the senior players has shown any leadership in the past few games. If we could get anyone in on loan in January I hope it's a hardened centre midfielder who is a natural leader, someone for the boys to look up to, hopefully more than one. Neither Fer or VDH are anywhere near the leaders they ought/need to be at the moment. It's a shame we had to sell Fede, he was quiet but led by example

As much as I malign Ash sometimes this was his greatest attribute. A born leader.

I agree signing that type of central midfielder and making him captain would make a world of difference to the squad we have. Not that I could name that player; but that isn’t my job.

For older supporters I would say think of Georgie Smith.
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 23:42 - Nov 29 with 499 viewsswanforthemoney

Dyer in front of Connor on the right please. As a combo, they could be as good or better as the Dyer/Rangel link-up that made so many chances over the last few years
.....oh dear just seen Dyer can go in January.

[Post edited 29 Nov 2018 23:48]

I stand in the North Stand

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 19:45 - Nov 30 with 410 viewsdameedna

Sinclair and Italian Job got us out of this league.

We need a winger to score ten goals.

McBurnie is doing well

Bony starts scoring and we will look good

long way to go yet

CCV looks nailed on for DM v Derby
Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 20:05 - Nov 30 with 396 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 19:45 - Nov 30 by dameedna

Sinclair and Italian Job got us out of this league.

We need a winger to score ten goals.

McBurnie is doing well

Bony starts scoring and we will look good

long way to go yet

CCV looks nailed on for DM v Derby

Lawrence Shankland scores three minutes into Ayr's away game at Dundee tonight. 13th league goal this season I think.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 20:52 - Nov 30 with 369 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Lack of Confidence and Confusion on 20:05 - Nov 30 by Brynmill_Jack

Lawrence Shankland scores three minutes into Ayr's away game at Dundee tonight. 13th league goal this season I think.

He's got 2 now

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024