Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Children’s Mental Health. 16:35 - Nov 30 with 1111 viewslifelong

The question arose last night on Question Time when it was stated that 1 in 8 children over the age of 5 now suffer with mental health problems.

A lady in the audience gave her opinion which I totally agreed with.

Go forward to 52.40 and listen to what she said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bt7j7t/question-time-2018-29112018
Children’s Mental Health. on 17:00 - Nov 30 with 1082 viewsyescomeon

Personally I think the deadly combination of social media and smartphones. You can't really escape from social media with the two of them together. I'm just glad I got to be a kid without either. There's still a big draw to check my phone, and I can't imagine how much stronger that addiction is if you've never known any different than being able to feed that addiction from a very young age. Something needs to be done but I don't know what. An 18/21+ age restriction on social media and smart phones? Not exactly practical.

Upthecity!

Children’s Mental Health. on 17:46 - Nov 30 with 1056 viewsJackfath

I agree with the lady too.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Children’s Mental Health. on 18:13 - Nov 30 with 1043 viewsCatullus

I can't get it to play but my opinion is that social media, smart phones and games consoles are a lot to blame.
Kids can't escape the pressures like us oldies could. They either have it in their face or they worry about it (at home) and check their phones/computers to see what's being said.

Then there's the pressure being heaped upon kids by society today. At school they are being tested at a younger age, the pressure to succeed has risen drastically, it is so unfair. Kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore. They are burning out before they hit 25

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Children’s Mental Health. on 19:56 - Nov 30 with 1000 viewsMrSwerve

What I will say is that the number of students that come up to us at university level with mental health issues is staggering, and growing year on year. It’s very concerning.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Children’s Mental Health. on 20:22 - Nov 30 with 987 viewsmajorraglan

Children are undoubtedly under a lot of pressure these days and social media doesn’t help. There is also an increasing awareness of mental ill health which includes children. The sad truth is that our mental health services are really struggling, crisis may not be too strong a word. My experience of CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services) is shocking.
Children’s Mental Health. on 21:26 - Nov 30 with 963 viewsCatullus

Children’s Mental Health. on 20:22 - Nov 30 by majorraglan

Children are undoubtedly under a lot of pressure these days and social media doesn’t help. There is also an increasing awareness of mental ill health which includes children. The sad truth is that our mental health services are really struggling, crisis may not be too strong a word. My experience of CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services) is shocking.

There used to be a man towards the top of CAMHS called Dr Hassan, he argued strongly for an increase in funding. He was always pulling strokes to try and get more resources. 10 years or more ago he was arguing that the kids were being let down. It obviously hasn't got better, or more accurately it has gotten much worse!!

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Children’s Mental Health. on 21:32 - Nov 30 with 955 viewsmajorraglan

Children’s Mental Health. on 21:26 - Nov 30 by Catullus

There used to be a man towards the top of CAMHS called Dr Hassan, he argued strongly for an increase in funding. He was always pulling strokes to try and get more resources. 10 years or more ago he was arguing that the kids were being let down. It obviously hasn't got better, or more accurately it has gotten much worse!!

Wasn’t aware of that, so I just googled him and found the below. It’s staggering!

http://www.senedd.assembly.wales/documents/s70024/EMH%20FI%2001%20Royal%20Colleg
Children’s Mental Health. on 21:42 - Nov 30 with 940 viewsCatullus

Children’s Mental Health. on 21:32 - Nov 30 by majorraglan

Wasn’t aware of that, so I just googled him and found the below. It’s staggering!

http://www.senedd.assembly.wales/documents/s70024/EMH%20FI%2001%20Royal%20Colleg

It is indeed staggering. My wife used to work in the Royal Glam and did work with CAMHS as part of her HR role. She sang Dr Hasan's praises, said he was a wonderful man if a bit cheeky!!
That says last year but I thought he'd retired by then. When you see how small the CAMHS resources are for such a large area it's scary.

Saying all that, we try to divert our son away from social media and limit his PS time too. He doesn't have his phone all the time either. I don't have an account with facebook or any of those sites and my wife turned hers off and has a look every few months.
I deleted facebook completely and I've been happier for it. If social media can be bad for adults, what effect is it having on kids.

Login to get fewer ads

Children’s Mental Health. on 22:44 - Nov 30 with 916 viewsLeonWasGod

Children’s Mental Health. on 17:00 - Nov 30 by yescomeon

Personally I think the deadly combination of social media and smartphones. You can't really escape from social media with the two of them together. I'm just glad I got to be a kid without either. There's still a big draw to check my phone, and I can't imagine how much stronger that addiction is if you've never known any different than being able to feed that addiction from a very young age. Something needs to be done but I don't know what. An 18/21+ age restriction on social media and smart phones? Not exactly practical.

Well worth reading the recent(ish) articles in the press that talk about how the people flogging all this stuff to us think it’s too dangerous for their own kids.

e.g. http://uk.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-parents-raising-their-kids-tech-fre
Children’s Mental Health. on 23:21 - Nov 30 with 894 viewsbyron

Children’s Mental Health. on 22:44 - Nov 30 by LeonWasGod

Well worth reading the recent(ish) articles in the press that talk about how the people flogging all this stuff to us think it’s too dangerous for their own kids.

e.g. http://uk.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-parents-raising-their-kids-tech-fre

Facebook and stuff like it will fade away eventually, lots if people I know have dropped their accounts or never post anything ever. It was all a bit new and exciting for a while but you can see the damage it’s doing just to adult relationships never mind kids. Kids will say f it, dont need it and enjoy normal relationships again I hope anyway.

Benny

Children’s Mental Health. on 06:53 - Dec 1 with 824 viewsLoyal

Children’s Mental Health. on 23:21 - Nov 30 by byron

Facebook and stuff like it will fade away eventually, lots if people I know have dropped their accounts or never post anything ever. It was all a bit new and exciting for a while but you can see the damage it’s doing just to adult relationships never mind kids. Kids will say f it, dont need it and enjoy normal relationships again I hope anyway.

Difference is older fckrs like us know what it was like before all this, kids are born in to it, your chances of success are limited.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024