Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Week Was Needed 18:58 - Dec 1 with 7237 viewsTheKirkyLife

Good for perspective. Our team isn't the finished article and neither is Mr. Potter.

I think he's dug this hole himself to be fair. An unsettled starting eleven, a keeper who has been robbed of all his confidence following the most ridiculous benching I've seen in all my years as a Swans fan and an absurd determination to be consistent in remaining inconsistent.

Am I panicking? No.

We're sure to make more moves in January both ways and I feel like a consolidation year was needed. Would I like to have been back in the Premier League after one season? Of course I would. Then again the heart of our squad was sold at the county market in Summer - we wouldn't survive more than a year.

We were on the scoresheet in some way in all three matches so it's not like we went down without a fight. Another positive to take is that we were honestly the architects of our own undoing vs Norwich and West Brom. If we had drawn those two games and lost against Derby we'd only be two points better off but I bet people would be a lot happier than what they are now.

Rather than point fingers, let's remember what these guys have done in the Swansea name so far this season. Not been this proud to support the club since Monk's Wonder Year. YJB.
This Week Was Needed on 10:42 - Dec 3 with 1069 viewsAustinIsOurHero

This Week Was Needed on 15:20 - Dec 2 by valleyboy

Somebody posting in your name was it

4th posting down, someone has written “I think Potter has dug this hole for himself”

Strange

Dug yourself a few holes here mate,

A Fans Dad was clearly reciting the line form the OP.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

This Week Was Needed on 13:54 - Dec 3 with 1020 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 10:42 - Dec 3 by AustinIsOurHero

Dug yourself a few holes here mate,

A Fans Dad was clearly reciting the line form the OP.

Well you would think that having written the whole paragraph, and not just a few of the words, he was totally agreeing in what the ordinal poster was saying
This Week Was Needed on 13:59 - Dec 3 with 1014 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 10:15 - Dec 3 by jack247

That’s utterly irrelevant. I’m not particularly fond of him as a man, but it’s undeniable that he started off our most successful period of the last 35 years, if not ever, playing that brand of football. Before we got to the Championship.

Without that, we’d quite likely never have left league one, but crack on if you want to put Garry Monk on a pedestal.

Im not putting Gary Monk on a pedestle, but trying to make a point that possession football for the sake of possession had run its course and a new direction by Swansea was needed
This Week Was Needed on 14:24 - Dec 3 with 1004 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 10:23 - Dec 3 by WarwickHunt

Small skilful players keeping possession, passing and moving, playing triangles. That would never work...

If you want an example of dinosaur football in the PL, look no further than Mourinho's big lumps looking increasingly cumbersome each passing* week.

*did you see what I did there?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 10:45]

There’s always exception to the rule and as for Man United, they are one of the teams that have not moved on and are trying to play to the system that Mourinho have always played

That’s why and even being one of the richest clubs in the World, are stuck in a time warp of playing football under their arrogant manager that thinks he knows best

If you want to watch some boring football then Man United is the team to watch

On the other hand if you want to watch entertaining football this season, there’s no doubt that Man City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and even a team like Everton are the teams to watch, as they are developing/changing the way they are playing the game.

Yes the likes of Cardiff are nowhere near the above standard, but at least they try to play to their strengths and not in this time warp philosophy of playing continual possession football

As for you saying that it was Martinez and Reeves that started playing this “Swansea way in Division One. All I can say is that I didn’t miss many of those games if any, home and away. With the football not so much possession for the sake of possession football but trying to get forward at every opportunity
This Week Was Needed on 14:26 - Dec 3 with 1001 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 14:24 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

There’s always exception to the rule and as for Man United, they are one of the teams that have not moved on and are trying to play to the system that Mourinho have always played

That’s why and even being one of the richest clubs in the World, are stuck in a time warp of playing football under their arrogant manager that thinks he knows best

On the other hand if you want to watch entertaining football this season, there’s no doubt that Man City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and even a team like Everton are the teams to watch, as they are developing/changing the way they are playing the game.

Yes the likes of Cardiff are nowhere near the above standard, but at least they try to play to their strengths and not in this time warp philosophy of playing continual possession football

As for you saying that it was Martinez and Reeves that started playing this “Swansea way in Division One. All I can say is that I didn’t miss many of those games if any, home and away. With the football not so much possession for the sake of possession football but trying to get forward at every opportunity

Apologies

The latter part of my last posting was for someone else
This Week Was Needed on 14:31 - Dec 3 with 1000 viewsBadlands

If like watching paint dry you must have loved Monk's reign in charge ... which was the demise of Swansea. Had we retained the standards set by previous 6 managers we would be at least safe mid Premier League side.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

This Week Was Needed on 14:35 - Dec 3 with 997 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 14:31 - Dec 3 by Badlands

If like watching paint dry you must have loved Monk's reign in charge ... which was the demise of Swansea. Had we retained the standards set by previous 6 managers we would be at least safe mid Premier League side.

Deluded I would say

Football changes over time

If your team don’t change

They fall by the wayside
This Week Was Needed on 15:22 - Dec 3 with 981 viewsjasper_T

This Week Was Needed on 14:35 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

Deluded I would say

Football changes over time

If your team don’t change

They fall by the wayside

I agree, Monk's style lost effectiveness very quickly. "Plan B" didn't work beyond the novelty/element of surprise of a single season.
Login to get fewer ads

This Week Was Needed on 15:28 - Dec 3 with 978 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 15:22 - Dec 3 by jasper_T

I agree, Monk's style lost effectiveness very quickly. "Plan B" didn't work beyond the novelty/element of surprise of a single season.

So are you are saying that Monk’s system worked albeit even just for the one season

If that is the case., that is what I’m trying to get over, in that if you play a system continually The system will become like stale bread

Becomes mouldy and is thrown into the bin
This Week Was Needed on 15:30 - Dec 3 with 973 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 13:59 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

Im not putting Gary Monk on a pedestle, but trying to make a point that possession football for the sake of possession had run its course and a new direction by Swansea was needed

Putting Monk on a pedestal is exactly what you are doing. You’re blowing smoke up his arse for getting rid of the way we used to play and complimenting his Birmingham side.

Possession for possession sake is pointless - agree. We certainly weren’t doing that pre Monk though.
Football evolves - definitely
Swansea way has run it’s course - possibly, but we were league one when we started playing it, it lasted about a decade and it was unquestionably the best decade in our history. The season after we stopped playing it we nearly got relegated. We carried on not playing it and nearly getting relegated until last season when we played it and got relegated.

This time, obviously in patches rather than consistently, has been the closest we’ve come to that kind of football since Monks first season. It’s a work in progress
This Week Was Needed on 15:37 - Dec 3 with 973 viewsjasper_T

This Week Was Needed on 15:28 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

So are you are saying that Monk’s system worked albeit even just for the one season

If that is the case., that is what I’m trying to get over, in that if you play a system continually The system will become like stale bread

Becomes mouldy and is thrown into the bin

There's no question that Monk's style worked for one season. It was simplistic and tedious to watch but it won 56 points (many due to fantastic goalkeeping the in the last few minutes it must be said).

The old "Swansea Way" wasn't a single system used continually, though. Martinez was different from Sousa was different from Rodgers was different from Laudrup, even if they had strong similarities in terms of wanting the ball, and made use of similar types of players.

Monk's era represented a major departure (I don't blame him entirely for this, recruitment played a big big part and he didn't have his hand on the wheel there) from a general style that brought us long term success, and is still bringing success to some of the "smaller" Premier League clubs (Bournemouth, Watford) while old school direct teams are dropping out (Stoke, West Brom, Burnley).
This Week Was Needed on 15:44 - Dec 3 with 969 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 14:24 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

Re. The last part which I assume was meant for me - what do you think the ‘Swansea way’ was? I’m
associating it with the pass and move triangles we used to play all over the pitch, playing attractive football with a team that was greater than the sum of its parts, making the ball do the work and whatever cliches you want to use to describe the entertaining, successful football we used to play.

You seem to be interpreting it as ‘passing for passings sake’. I agree with you, that’s pointless. Just surprised that’s what you think our identity used to be.
This Week Was Needed on 17:28 - Dec 3 with 930 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 15:44 - Dec 3 by jack247

Re. The last part which I assume was meant for me - what do you think the ‘Swansea way’ was? I’m
associating it with the pass and move triangles we used to play all over the pitch, playing attractive football with a team that was greater than the sum of its parts, making the ball do the work and whatever cliches you want to use to describe the entertaining, successful football we used to play.

You seem to be interpreting it as ‘passing for passings sake’. I agree with you, that’s pointless. Just surprised that’s what you think our identity used to be.

Simply I saw far too much passing the ball amongst themselves and also too many balls going backward and sidewards instead of trying to push the ball more forward

If this “Swansea way” was that special, why did not Swansea finish higher than 12th playing that system

Remember the comments that Laudrup used to make about playing the likes of the big teams in that he didn’t think they were the important teams as Swansea weren’t going to get much points against those sides

You can’t deny and I’m not putting Monk on a pedestal. He had a better results playing against the top sides than any of the managers before, other than Toshack
This Week Was Needed on 17:41 - Dec 3 with 923 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 15:37 - Dec 3 by jasper_T

There's no question that Monk's style worked for one season. It was simplistic and tedious to watch but it won 56 points (many due to fantastic goalkeeping the in the last few minutes it must be said).

The old "Swansea Way" wasn't a single system used continually, though. Martinez was different from Sousa was different from Rodgers was different from Laudrup, even if they had strong similarities in terms of wanting the ball, and made use of similar types of players.

Monk's era represented a major departure (I don't blame him entirely for this, recruitment played a big big part and he didn't have his hand on the wheel there) from a general style that brought us long term success, and is still bringing success to some of the "smaller" Premier League clubs (Bournemouth, Watford) while old school direct teams are dropping out (Stoke, West Brom, Burnley).

It went wrong for Monk for one simple reason

I’m not going into the details because I have to watch what I say

The results for the start of the 2015 season was going as good as any of the results as the previous season

Then something happened

Not football related

From after the Man U game everything started to go pear shape

Ashley Williams was barely if at all speaking to Monk and he was the captain

The dressing room was lost

That was Monk’s downfall, because he backed the wrong person instead of one of his players
This Week Was Needed on 17:56 - Dec 3 with 918 views34dfgdf54

This Week Was Needed on 17:41 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

It went wrong for Monk for one simple reason

I’m not going into the details because I have to watch what I say

The results for the start of the 2015 season was going as good as any of the results as the previous season

Then something happened

Not football related

From after the Man U game everything started to go pear shape

Ashley Williams was barely if at all speaking to Monk and he was the captain

The dressing room was lost

That was Monk’s downfall, because he backed the wrong person instead of one of his players

Everyone knows what you’re referring too.
This Week Was Needed on 18:30 - Dec 3 with 909 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 17:56 - Dec 3 by 34dfgdf54

Everyone knows what you’re referring too.

I’m not so sure that everyone knows the full story

What I’m trying to do is to put Monks time in charge to Rodgers and of course the famous Laudrup

It will be a long time for another manager if at all to win games against some of the big teams like Monk did

I was fortunate enough to watch when Toshack’s team was able to beat any of the top teams in then the First Division, never mind who they were, even if it was for a season
This Week Was Needed on 19:06 - Dec 3 with 896 viewsBadlands

This Week Was Needed on 17:28 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

Simply I saw far too much passing the ball amongst themselves and also too many balls going backward and sidewards instead of trying to push the ball more forward

If this “Swansea way” was that special, why did not Swansea finish higher than 12th playing that system

Remember the comments that Laudrup used to make about playing the likes of the big teams in that he didn’t think they were the important teams as Swansea weren’t going to get much points against those sides

You can’t deny and I’m not putting Monk on a pedestal. He had a better results playing against the top sides than any of the managers before, other than Toshack

The season we finished 8th we picked up half our points in game we scored 1 or 0.
None-football.
Monk's childish attitude as a captain and manager was always going to fail.
Laudrup was wholly correct.
3 points and a win against top 6 teams was fantastic and 3 points is always good - but winning against teams from 10th down gained 3 points and took 3 points from them.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

This Week Was Needed on 19:14 - Dec 3 with 892 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 17:28 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

If it wasn’t special, we would never have reached the Premier league. The more we veered away from it, the worse the football became, the worse the results became and the more like most bottom half PL teams we became.

Remember that trophy Laudrup won? That night in Valencia?

Monks results were great until he started imposing his playing style, then he got sacked.

Deny what?
This Week Was Needed on 20:22 - Dec 3 with 868 views34dfgdf54

This Week Was Needed on 18:30 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

I’m not so sure that everyone knows the full story

What I’m trying to do is to put Monks time in charge to Rodgers and of course the famous Laudrup

It will be a long time for another manager if at all to win games against some of the big teams like Monk did

I was fortunate enough to watch when Toshack’s team was able to beat any of the top teams in then the First Division, never mind who they were, even if it was for a season

It was a freak season, just like Burnley last time around.

Fabianski made a crazy amount of saves, warning sides were there.
This Week Was Needed on 20:35 - Dec 3 with 861 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 19:14 - Dec 3 by jack247

If it wasn’t special, we would never have reached the Premier league. The more we veered away from it, the worse the football became, the worse the results became and the more like most bottom half PL teams we became.

Remember that trophy Laudrup won? That night in Valencia?

Monks results were great until he started imposing his playing style, then he got sacked.

Deny what?

What playing against 10 men for 80 minutes

That’s not a result I would spout about

Isn’t it funny, the season Swansea veered away from this “Swansea way” the Swans landed up 4 positions higher than any time they played this Swansea way

I don’t know if you are a statistics man but just look at them for that season that Monk was in charge and then tell me it wasn’t better

Monk got the sack for other factor
This Week Was Needed on 20:39 - Dec 3 with 857 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 19:06 - Dec 3 by Badlands

The season we finished 8th we picked up half our points in game we scored 1 or 0.
None-football.
Monk's childish attitude as a captain and manager was always going to fail.
Laudrup was wholly correct.
3 points and a win against top 6 teams was fantastic and 3 points is always good - but winning against teams from 10th down gained 3 points and took 3 points from them.

Football whether you like it or not is a result/points game

To what position did Laudrup take the Swans up to in The Premier League???
This Week Was Needed on 20:41 - Dec 3 with 856 viewsjasper_T

This Week Was Needed on 20:39 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

Football whether you like it or not is a result/points game

To what position did Laudrup take the Swans up to in The Premier League???

9th
This Week Was Needed on 20:52 - Dec 3 with 845 viewsBrynmill_Jack

This Week Was Needed on 20:41 - Dec 3 by jasper_T

9th

And a cup win wasn't it? Poor old Garry, karma must have had him big time if player power got him out. What goes around must have come around, eh?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

This Week Was Needed on 20:55 - Dec 3 with 843 viewsGaryjack

Unrelated, but did anyone know that for all our Premier League wins against the 'big six', Laudrup had just the one. A 0-2 victory at Arsenal.
This Week Was Needed on 20:58 - Dec 3 with 832 views34dfgdf54

This Week Was Needed on 20:55 - Dec 3 by Garyjack

Unrelated, but did anyone know that for all our Premier League wins against the 'big six', Laudrup had just the one. A 0-2 victory at Arsenal.

He used to pretty much concede games against the top sides. Used to drive Jenkins nuts if I remember correctly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024