Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Week Was Needed 18:58 - Dec 1 with 7195 viewsTheKirkyLife

Good for perspective. Our team isn't the finished article and neither is Mr. Potter.

I think he's dug this hole himself to be fair. An unsettled starting eleven, a keeper who has been robbed of all his confidence following the most ridiculous benching I've seen in all my years as a Swans fan and an absurd determination to be consistent in remaining inconsistent.

Am I panicking? No.

We're sure to make more moves in January both ways and I feel like a consolidation year was needed. Would I like to have been back in the Premier League after one season? Of course I would. Then again the heart of our squad was sold at the county market in Summer - we wouldn't survive more than a year.

We were on the scoresheet in some way in all three matches so it's not like we went down without a fight. Another positive to take is that we were honestly the architects of our own undoing vs Norwich and West Brom. If we had drawn those two games and lost against Derby we'd only be two points better off but I bet people would be a lot happier than what they are now.

Rather than point fingers, let's remember what these guys have done in the Swansea name so far this season. Not been this proud to support the club since Monk's Wonder Year. YJB.
This Week Was Needed on 21:02 - Dec 3 with 991 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 20:35 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

What playing against 10 men for 80 minutes

That’s not a result I would spout about

Isn’t it funny, the season Swansea veered away from this “Swansea way” the Swans landed up 4 positions higher than any time they played this Swansea way

I don’t know if you are a statistics man but just look at them for that season that Monk was in charge and then tell me it wasn’t better

Monk got the sack for other factor

Are you seriously claiming beating Valencia 3-0 in the Mestalla isn’t a result to spout about?
This Week Was Needed on 21:07 - Dec 3 with 987 viewsGaryjack

This Week Was Needed on 20:58 - Dec 3 by 34dfgdf54

He used to pretty much concede games against the top sides. Used to drive Jenkins nuts if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure no manager would concede games against top sides Risca. If that were the case we would never have won a major trophy. Still, it's a hell of a stat considering most regard his stint in charge as 'The Golden Era'?
This Week Was Needed on 21:10 - Dec 3 with 979 views34dfgdf54

This Week Was Needed on 21:07 - Dec 3 by Garyjack

I'm pretty sure no manager would concede games against top sides Risca. If that were the case we would never have won a major trophy. Still, it's a hell of a stat considering most regard his stint in charge as 'The Golden Era'?

Didn’t he make a lot of changes though? I may be wrong but I’m sure I can remember him always saying they were bonus games etc.

Not slagging him off at all I thought he was quality, best sides I’ve seen for us.
This Week Was Needed on 21:35 - Dec 3 with 958 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 21:07 - Dec 3 by Garyjack

What Risca jack has written is absolut,y true

So much for this golden era under Laudrup

Laudrup appointed in June 2012
Sacked 4th February 2014

The only season he completed a full season managing the Swans in the zpremier League

Won 11
Drawn 13
Lost 14

Average win ratio to round figures 28%

His final season before he was sacked

Won 6
Drawn 6
Lost 12

Average win ratio 25%

If that’s the golden age in some people’s eyes, then I give up
This Week Was Needed on 21:36 - Dec 3 with 957 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 21:10 - Dec 3 by 34dfgdf54

Didn’t he make a lot of changes though? I may be wrong but I’m sure I can remember him always saying they were bonus games etc.

Not slagging him off at all I thought he was quality, best sides I’ve seen for us.

All I will say is that you are easily pleased
This Week Was Needed on 21:41 - Dec 3 with 954 views34dfgdf54

This Week Was Needed on 21:36 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

All I will say is that you are easily pleased

Is this guy a Cardiff fan?
This Week Was Needed on 21:45 - Dec 3 with 951 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 21:35 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

What Risca jack has written is absolut,y true

So much for this golden era under Laudrup

Laudrup appointed in June 2012
Sacked 4th February 2014

The only season he completed a full season managing the Swans in the zpremier League

Won 11
Drawn 13
Lost 14

Average win ratio to round figures 28%

His final season before he was sacked

Won 6
Drawn 6
Lost 12

Average win ratio 25%

If that’s the golden age in some people’s eyes, then I give up

While I’m at it, I will give you what Gary Monk achieved in that first year in the Premier League

Won 16
Drawn 8
Lost 14

Average win ratio in round figures 44%
This Week Was Needed on 21:48 - Dec 3 with 949 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 21:02 - Dec 3 by jack247

Are you seriously claiming beating Valencia 3-0 in the Mestalla isn’t a result to spout about?

There’s something wrong if you can’t beat a team that’s played for 80 minutes with 10 men
Login to get fewer ads

This Week Was Needed on 22:00 - Dec 3 with 935 viewsGaryjack

This Week Was Needed on 21:48 - Dec 3 by valleyboy

There’s something wrong if you can’t beat a team that’s played for 80 minutes with 10 men

But we beat a team this season playing for 85 minutes with 10 men. How does that work then?
This Week Was Needed on 22:12 - Dec 3 with 931 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 21:41 - Dec 3 by 34dfgdf54

Is this guy a Cardiff fan?

No, he’s just on a wind up. So far we’ve had...

The Swansea way was just passing for passings sake
It was invented by accident in the Championship
Garry Monk was our best recent manager
The Valencia game wasn’t much to shout about
This Week Was Needed on 07:41 - Dec 4 with 881 views34dfgdf54

This Week Was Needed on 22:12 - Dec 3 by jack247

No, he’s just on a wind up. So far we’ve had...

The Swansea way was just passing for passings sake
It was invented by accident in the Championship
Garry Monk was our best recent manager
The Valencia game wasn’t much to shout about

And Supporters have been easilly pleased over a manager who won our first bit of major silverware, took us into Europe, and took us to 9th, one place behind Monk's "glory season".
This Week Was Needed on 10:00 - Dec 4 with 856 viewsAlfieMooresSon

This Week Was Needed on 01:26 - Dec 2 by builthjack

We are a lower half Championship team. Not Potters fault, as we have lower half Championship players. If you are going to blame anyone blame those tosspots who sold the club, and those fakers who bought it without a pot to pee in

Spot on and most importantly a weak squad, so the longer the season goes on the worse we will do as bigger and better squads will still be able to cope with the injuries, fatigue, and suspensions.
This Week Was Needed on 10:39 - Dec 4 with 828 viewsTailGunner

This Week Was Needed on 10:00 - Dec 4 by AlfieMooresSon

Spot on and most importantly a weak squad, so the longer the season goes on the worse we will do as bigger and better squads will still be able to cope with the injuries, fatigue, and suspensions.

I think the penny is finally dropping with those who claimed this is a quality squad, equipped for the slog of a Championship season.
With the ridiculous notion of playing pretty much the same squad week in week out, laced with rookies.

This squad is (with a couple of exceptions) full of hard working, honest players who can cope at this level.
They are capable of beating & also losing against anyone. The problem is they are leggy already, going into December. There is little there past the 1st 14 or so names to help them
They massively need help in January.........
This Week Was Needed on 11:41 - Dec 4 with 817 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 07:41 - Dec 4 by 34dfgdf54

And Supporters have been easilly pleased over a manager who won our first bit of major silverware, took us into Europe, and took us to 9th, one place behind Monk's "glory season".

Laudrup might have taken the Swans to 9th in the Premier League (one position below Monk) but a difference of 10 points makes a big difference I would say

If Laudrup had only finished with 46 points in the same season that Monk finished in 8th, he would have landed up in 14th

You only have to look at the percentage wins, the games lost and those boring draws, to see that Laudrup wasn’t the manager that most posters on here make him out to be

Must be that win, playing against 10 men for 80 minutes in Valencia that’s clouded their brain
This Week Was Needed on 11:56 - Dec 4 with 812 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 11:41 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

Laudrup might have taken the Swans to 9th in the Premier League (one position below Monk) but a difference of 10 points makes a big difference I would say

If Laudrup had only finished with 46 points in the same season that Monk finished in 8th, he would have landed up in 14th

You only have to look at the percentage wins, the games lost and those boring draws, to see that Laudrup wasn’t the manager that most posters on here make him out to be

Must be that win, playing against 10 men for 80 minutes in Valencia that’s clouded their brain

Or possibly the fact we went on autopilot after qualifying for Europe is clouding yours. Rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my view) we had about 10 games that we played like pre-season friendlies at the end of that season.

Honest question - do you think Monk was the best manager of our PL era?
This Week Was Needed on 12:02 - Dec 4 with 811 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 10:39 - Dec 4 by TailGunner

I think the penny is finally dropping with those who claimed this is a quality squad, equipped for the slog of a Championship season.
With the ridiculous notion of playing pretty much the same squad week in week out, laced with rookies.

This squad is (with a couple of exceptions) full of hard working, honest players who can cope at this level.
They are capable of beating & also losing against anyone. The problem is they are leggy already, going into December. There is little there past the 1st 14 or so names to help them
They massively need help in January.........

So when did the penny drop with you then???

I have argued and argued with a lot of Swansea supporters that you can only introduce one or two players coming up from the under 23’s at a time, but no way can you introduce the numbers that Swansea are doing all at once

Even if only one or two players are introduced at a time, to play them regularly without a break as you say, is potentially suicidal and could even destroy a player

That is why I argued with you when Swansea signed Asoro

It wasn’t a player that only had pace but nothing else, but players with Championship experiance.

Not just one, but at least two if not three

What has surprised me though, is how quickly they have tired

It was inevitable this would happen, but to happen before the start of December is something else

Two games a week in the Championship, training (although the likes of Bill Shankley only believed in very light training after the season started) and some of the players playing in internationals has got to take its toll
This Week Was Needed on 12:17 - Dec 4 with 803 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 11:56 - Dec 4 by jack247

Or possibly the fact we went on autopilot after qualifying for Europe is clouding yours. Rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my view) we had about 10 games that we played like pre-season friendlies at the end of that season.

Honest question - do you think Monk was the best manager of our PL era?

If you take the season that Swansea finished in 8th place, then statisticslly he has to be

10 points higher in the Premier League than any other manager had done before

Football whether you like it or not is a results game

There’s a very sound reason why it went pear shape in the following season

He backed Jenkins and a certain Director against standing up for Dyer and because of that completely lost the dressing room

What I find strange though, that when Monk was in charge of the team that ended up in 8th place, I never read much on here in how posters thought how badly Swansea were playing under Monk

Did you ever post then that his methods were not what you liked or is this something that’s come because of how the teams lerformace just fell off the cliff after beating Man U at home because of non football problems within the club
This Week Was Needed on 12:20 - Dec 4 with 801 viewsTailGunner

This Week Was Needed on 12:02 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

I have argued and argued with a lot of Swansea supporters that you can only introduce one or two players coming up from the under 23’s at a time, but no way can you introduce the numbers that Swansea are doing all at once

Even if only one or two players are introduced at a time, to play them regularly without a break as you say, is potentially suicidal and could even destroy a player

It wasn’t a player that only had pace but nothing else, but players with Championship experiance.

It was inevitable this would happen, but to happen before the start of December is something else

Two games a week in the Championship, training (although the likes of Bill Shankley only believed in very light training after the season started) and some of the players playing in internationals has got to take its toll

Not sure what you are getting at??
I have never said this squad is strong enough.

Asoro was not signed as the finished article - he was signed with an eye on the future.
You made it massively clear you wanted him to fail from day 1 - just to prove you are right, which is incredibly sad - an ageing pensioner should not behave that way. Let your bitterness go!

Other than that you agree with me.

Which is nice.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2018 12:24]
This Week Was Needed on 12:33 - Dec 4 with 790 viewsAlfieMooresSon

This Week Was Needed on 12:02 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

Agreed I have said this before the season started, also that Potter did not have the suitable experience for the Championship, it's a tough league to get to grips with and after relegation, we needed someone with experience, we also needed someone in early, he arrived too late.

These players are fading before our eyes, forget the playoffs, let's try and keep away from the bottom.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2018 12:37]
This Week Was Needed on 12:35 - Dec 4 with 789 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 12:20 - Dec 4 by TailGunner

Not sure what you are getting at??
I have never said this squad is strong enough.

Asoro was not signed as the finished article - he was signed with an eye on the future.
You made it massively clear you wanted him to fail from day 1 - just to prove you are right, which is incredibly sad - an ageing pensioner should not behave that way. Let your bitterness go!

Other than that you agree with me.

Which is nice.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2018 12:24]

Where did I say, that you had said, that the Swansea squad wasnt strong enough

I’ve never had a clue what you thoughts were on the sqaud, other than today’s posting

As for signing players for the future, I would have thought there was enough of those already at Swansea
This Week Was Needed on 12:38 - Dec 4 with 786 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 12:17 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

If you take the season that Swansea finished in 8th place, then statisticslly he has to be

10 points higher in the Premier League than any other manager had done before

Football whether you like it or not is a results game

There’s a very sound reason why it went pear shape in the following season

He backed Jenkins and a certain Director against standing up for Dyer and because of that completely lost the dressing room

What I find strange though, that when Monk was in charge of the team that ended up in 8th place, I never read much on here in how posters thought how badly Swansea were playing under Monk

Did you ever post then that his methods were not what you liked or is this something that’s come because of how the teams lerformace just fell off the cliff after beating Man U at home because of non football problems within the club

Of course it’s a results game.

Winning a trophy at Wembley is a result.
Playing in Europe is a result.

Did I ever post I didn’t like Monks methods? Absolutely. If memory serves me correct he lasted 3 or 4 games longer than he should have. Made me sad at the time because he gave us so much as a player, but was clearly out of his league.

You know as well as I do that had he taken over when Martinez did, we’d still be plodding along in the lower leagues playing sanitised football in front of 8,000
This Week Was Needed on 12:43 - Dec 4 with 783 viewsTailGunner

This Week Was Needed on 12:35 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

Where did I say, that you had said, that the Swansea squad wasnt strong enough

I’ve never had a clue what you thoughts were on the sqaud, other than today’s posting

As for signing players for the future, I would have thought there was enough of those already at Swansea

That's ok - thanks for agreeing with me.
A pair of visionaries are we!!
This Week Was Needed on 13:29 - Dec 4 with 771 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 12:38 - Dec 4 by jack247

Of course it’s a results game.

Winning a trophy at Wembley is a result.
Playing in Europe is a result.

Did I ever post I didn’t like Monks methods? Absolutely. If memory serves me correct he lasted 3 or 4 games longer than he should have. Made me sad at the time because he gave us so much as a player, but was clearly out of his league.

You know as well as I do that had he taken over when Martinez did, we’d still be plodding along in the lower leagues playing sanitised football in front of 8,000

What I asked, was if you had posted your dislikes of Monk’s tactics and that they were wrong in the season that Swansea finished in 8th position and not after September of the following season

These days, players can get rid of a manager if they have a grudge against him and that is what I think happened, especially in what they saw at the training ground when this opposition to Monk started

You convincly beat Man U one week and then play as if you have never played professional football before, which of course coincides with what happened at the training ground
This Week Was Needed on 13:44 - Dec 4 with 762 viewsTailGunner

This Week Was Needed on 13:29 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

What I asked, was if you had posted your dislikes of Monk’s tactics and that they were wrong in the season that Swansea finished in 8th position and not after September of the following season

These days, players can get rid of a manager if they have a grudge against him and that is what I think happened, especially in what they saw at the training ground when this opposition to Monk started

You convincly beat Man U one week and then play as if you have never played professional football before, which of course coincides with what happened at the training ground

Who do you think led the training ground mutiny / opposition against Laudrup...??
This Week Was Needed on 13:45 - Dec 4 with 762 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 13:29 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

Yeah, absolutely I did. Did you do the same when Laudrup was in charge?

Your second paragraph sums up what happened to both of them, most obviously to Laudrup, in fact Monk was one of the ringleaders first time round.

Anyway, you’ve confirmed you thought Monk was the best manager of the PL era. Agree to disagree on that one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024