Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Week Was Needed 18:58 - Dec 1 with 7191 viewsTheKirkyLife

Good for perspective. Our team isn't the finished article and neither is Mr. Potter.

I think he's dug this hole himself to be fair. An unsettled starting eleven, a keeper who has been robbed of all his confidence following the most ridiculous benching I've seen in all my years as a Swans fan and an absurd determination to be consistent in remaining inconsistent.

Am I panicking? No.

We're sure to make more moves in January both ways and I feel like a consolidation year was needed. Would I like to have been back in the Premier League after one season? Of course I would. Then again the heart of our squad was sold at the county market in Summer - we wouldn't survive more than a year.

We were on the scoresheet in some way in all three matches so it's not like we went down without a fight. Another positive to take is that we were honestly the architects of our own undoing vs Norwich and West Brom. If we had drawn those two games and lost against Derby we'd only be two points better off but I bet people would be a lot happier than what they are now.

Rather than point fingers, let's remember what these guys have done in the Swansea name so far this season. Not been this proud to support the club since Monk's Wonder Year. YJB.
This Week Was Needed on 13:45 - Dec 4 with 1326 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 12:33 - Dec 4 by AlfieMooresSon

Agreed I have said this before the season started, also that Potter did not have the suitable experience for the Championship, it's a tough league to get to grips with and after relegation, we needed someone with experience, we also needed someone in early, he arrived too late.

These players are fading before our eyes, forget the playoffs, let's try and keep away from the bottom.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2018 12:37]

What has said back to me often, in what Alen Hansen said that you never win anything with youngsters

My reply has always been that was a very rare exception and not the general rule and it had to take somebody like Fergusson to do it

Remembering as well that Man U trawl the whole world for potential good youngsters, but then get rid of them very quickly if they don’t come up to scratch to what Man U are after

Only a few player playing for Swansea this season have ever played in League football and some of them only a limited amount. And posters on here expected them to be pushing for the playoff
position

Bonkers
This Week Was Needed on 13:56 - Dec 4 with 1319 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 13:44 - Dec 4 by TailGunner

Who do you think led the training ground mutiny / opposition against Laudrup...??

Well that is another story

Perhaps Monk deserved his own upcoming

Mind you, it was not only Monk that was responsible for Laudrup getting the sack

Others were involved as well

The difference being that Monks fall from grace was not football related

With Laudrup players had become dissatisfied with him for footballing reasons
This Week Was Needed on 14:11 - Dec 4 with 1313 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 13:45 - Dec 4 by jack247

Yeah, absolutely I did. Did you do the same when Laudrup was in charge?

Your second paragraph sums up what happened to both of them, most obviously to Laudrup, in fact Monk was one of the ringleaders first time round.

Anyway, you’ve confirmed you thought Monk was the best manager of the PL era. Agree to disagree on that one.

I wasn’t posting on here at the time, but I’m sure that posters from another site will tell you that I very well did

Look at Laudrup’s track record in the Premier League

Swansea played under him 62 games

Drew 19 of those games

And lost 26

When I hear posters saying how good he was, it makes me wonder if they ever saw any of the games when he was in charge or if they understood what the game of football was all about

Especially when he came out and said that the results against the top sides were not important as he didn’t think they were important

What a load of codswallop

Then Gary Monk goes up to Man U and beats them on their own ground and does something that I think will never be done again. Beats Arsenal home and away in his first full season in the Premier Keague
This Week Was Needed on 14:25 - Dec 4 with 1305 viewsA_Fans_Dad

This Week Was Needed on 14:11 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

I wasn’t posting on here at the time, but I’m sure that posters from another site will tell you that I very well did

Drew 19 of those games

And lost 26

When I hear posters saying how good he was, it makes me wonder if they ever saw any of the games when he was in charge or if they understood what the game of football was all about

Especially when he came out and said that the results against the top sides were not important as he didn’t think they were important

Then Gary Monk goes up to Man U and beats them on their own ground and does something that I think will never be done again. Beats Arsenal home and away in his first full season in the Premier Keague

Wait for it.
This is what you are going to get :-
But he had a small squad (which he said he liked), he had lot's games in the League, the cups and Europe and lots of injuries.
He did well in Europe and won the club silver.

What you won't get is :-
He gave up the games against the top Prem teams because he thought we couldn't win them.
He destroyed the career of Michu by continuing to play him when injured.
And just as he did at previous clubs he fell out with management and lost interest.

Monk turned the Team & Club around when he took over, but unfortunately he then, with Jenkins help, destroyed it completely.
Lost half the players and got rid of most of the Spaniards.
This Week Was Needed on 14:39 - Dec 4 with 1301 viewsAlfieMooresSon

This Week Was Needed on 13:45 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

What has said back to me often, in what Alen Hansen said that you never win anything with youngsters

My reply has always been that was a very rare exception and not the general rule and it had to take somebody like Fergusson to do it

Remembering as well that Man U trawl the whole world for potential good youngsters, but then get rid of them very quickly if they don’t come up to scratch to what Man U are after

Only a few player playing for Swansea this season have ever played in League football and some of them only a limited amount. And posters on here expected them to be pushing for the playoff
position

Bonkers

True and they had some fantastic experienced players helping the Manu kids out, lets not forget that.
This Week Was Needed on 15:07 - Dec 4 with 1285 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 14:11 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

Drew 19 of those games

And lost 26

Their win percentages are very similar. Both are very respectable at around 35%, when you consider it’s Swansea in the Premier league. To put it into context, Potter has 7 wins from 20 games with us. Rodgers’is higher, but he had a season in the Championship.

You seem to think beating Man United is more important than beating the teams that were in and around us. What Laudrup actually said was taking points off teams we would be battling against to stay up was.

Anyway, you’re welcome to your opinion about who our best PL manager was.
This Week Was Needed on 16:00 - Dec 4 with 1270 viewsAlfieMooresSon

This Week Was Needed on 15:07 - Dec 4 by jack247

Their win percentages are very similar. Both are very respectable at around 35%, when you consider it’s Swansea in the Premier league. To put it into context, Potter has 7 wins from 20 games with us. Rodgers’is higher, but he had a season in the Championship.

You seem to think beating Man United is more important than beating the teams that were in and around us. What Laudrup actually said was taking points off teams we would be battling against to stay up was.

Rodgers was brilliant, Laudrup very good, it was a massive mistake to lose him !!!
This Week Was Needed on 16:32 - Dec 4 with 1261 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 15:07 - Dec 4 by jack247

Not very good at maths are you

Win percentage in games that count

Laudrup

Won 17 in 62 games

Which makes a win percentage of 27.4%

Monk

Won 18 in 53 games

Which makes a win percentage of 33.96%

Hell of a difference I would say
Login to get fewer ads

This Week Was Needed on 16:47 - Dec 4 with 1254 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 16:32 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

Not very good at maths are you

Win percentage in games that count

Laudrup

Won 17 in 62 games

Which makes a win percentage of 27.4%

Monk

Won 18 in 53 games

Which makes a win percentage of 33.96%

Hell of a difference I would say

I took it from here

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/garry-monk/
http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/michael-laudrup/

Put a poll up if you want. I’d imagine more or less anyone with any sense would vote for either the man who took us up playing champagne football or the man who took us into Europe playing champagne football. If you prefer dour, identikit, defensive borefests, good for you.
This Week Was Needed on 17:34 - Dec 4 with 1243 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 16:47 - Dec 4 by jack247

I took it from here

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/garry-monk/
http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/michael-laudrup/

Put a poll up if you want. I’d imagine more or less anyone with any sense would vote for either the man who took us up playing champagne football or the man who took us into Europe playing champagne football. If you prefer dour, identikit, defensive borefests, good for you.

But using stats not knowing in how they are derived or made up is not the best thing to do

If you look at what I have said in how I came to the figures, I did say that they were from games that counted ie Premier League games

Stats are a very useful tool in understanding what is happening in a process. But more often than not, you need to dig further into the process to find out what the stats are telling you
This Week Was Needed on 12:03 - Dec 5 with 1181 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 17:34 - Dec 4 by valleyboy

But using stats not knowing in how they are derived or made up is not the best thing to do

If you look at what I have said in how I came to the figures, I did say that they were from games that counted ie Premier League games

Stats are a very useful tool in understanding what is happening in a process. But more often than not, you need to dig further into the process to find out what the stats are telling you

Absolutely agree. Stats have their place but are far from the be all and end all.

There are far too many variables that simplistic systems don’t account for

The fact that Rodgers achieved his success on a relative shoestring, we didn’t really spend a lot in the first few seasons.
Fabianski was one of the best keepers in the PL in Monks good season.
The players were effectively in cruise control from March in the league cup season.
And of course the quality of the football.

Win ratios alone don’t give you any of that. I prefer to watch the games myself and form my own opinion. I’ve got a lot more respect for opposing views, even when they differ, when people can back them up with opinions rather than (or as well as ) percentages.
This Week Was Needed on 19:17 - Dec 5 with 1152 viewsvalleyboy

This Week Was Needed on 12:03 - Dec 5 by jack247

Absolutely agree. Stats have their place but are far from the be all and end all.

There are far too many variables that simplistic systems don’t account for

The fact that Rodgers achieved his success on a relative shoestring, we didn’t really spend a lot in the first few seasons.
Fabianski was one of the best keepers in the PL in Monks good season.
The players were effectively in cruise control from March in the league cup season.
And of course the quality of the football.

Win ratios alone don’t give you any of that. I prefer to watch the games myself and form my own opinion. I’ve got a lot more respect for opposing views, even when they differ, when people can back them up with opinions rather than (or as well as ) percentages.

Win ratios don’t give you that???

If ever pundits talk about a manager it’s the first thing they bring up
This Week Was Needed on 20:14 - Dec 5 with 1132 viewsjasper_T

This Week Was Needed on 19:17 - Dec 5 by valleyboy

Who gives a sht what pundits talk about, honestly?
This Week Was Needed on 20:47 - Dec 5 with 1129 viewsjack247

This Week Was Needed on 19:17 - Dec 5 by valleyboy

Of course they don’t.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024