Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New bars in the Uplands 12:25 - Dec 2 with 1389 viewsdickythorpe

Anyone been to Maisie's yet?
Plus is it Boss Brewery that are taking over the bookshop?
New bars in the Uplands on 13:31 - Dec 2 with 1337 viewssquarebear

I’ve taken Mrs Bear to Maisie’s for a rhubarb gin. Very nice. It’s quite a small place. Someone told me the desserts were good though I’ve not even seen their menu.
New bars in the Uplands on 09:48 - Dec 3 with 1101 viewsLeonWasGod

Shame we lost the bookshop. I used it as much as I could, but I guess people can't be arse to go into shops these days with Amazon and kindle so easy. I'll miss it for the kids - found it a really useful way to increase their interest in books and learning.
New bars in the Uplands on 10:33 - Dec 3 with 1078 viewsswanforthemoney

New bars in the Uplands on 09:48 - Dec 3 by LeonWasGod

Shame we lost the bookshop. I used it as much as I could, but I guess people can't be arse to go into shops these days with Amazon and kindle so easy. I'll miss it for the kids - found it a really useful way to increase their interest in books and learning.

It used to be fantastic, especially for travel books and maps. It just went downhill over the years and was in a pretty sad state for the last couple of years. Best to have been put out of its misery tbh.
Fully agree that the cultural loss of replacing a book shop with a bar is very sad. I guess it’s just the way things are going. No good will become of it all.

I stand in the North Stand

New bars in the Uplands on 10:39 - Dec 3 with 1071 viewsLeonWasGod

New bars in the Uplands on 10:33 - Dec 3 by swanforthemoney

It used to be fantastic, especially for travel books and maps. It just went downhill over the years and was in a pretty sad state for the last couple of years. Best to have been put out of its misery tbh.
Fully agree that the cultural loss of replacing a book shop with a bar is very sad. I guess it’s just the way things are going. No good will become of it all.

That's a fair point. When I first moved to Swansea in 2005 the travel and maps section was excellent, but yes it had gone down hill a bit - had obviously been struggling for a while.

Uplands is the place to be for the night crowds right now it seems.
New bars in the Uplands on 10:42 - Dec 3 with 1069 viewsjack247

New bars in the Uplands on 10:33 - Dec 3 by swanforthemoney

Kind of disagree with that, although I loved the Uplands bookshop as a kid and totally get the sentimentality.

Retail of that type is either dead or dying everywhere. Most retail is struggling because there’s very little you can’t buy on Amazon. Things that can be simply downloaded (books, films, music etc) have got no hope.

Like it or not, bars, restaurants, cafes etc are the way for places like Uplands to thrive.
New bars in the Uplands on 14:22 - Dec 3 with 996 viewsJackSomething

New bars in the Uplands on 09:48 - Dec 3 by LeonWasGod

Agreed, although it's been years since I lived in the area, the bookshop going is a shame.

Although it's a shameless plug of a mate's business, if you're willing to go further afield Cover to Cover in Mumbles is great. Also Swansea's only remaining independent bookstore, so worth supporting if you love books.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024