Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only Fools And Horses 19:48 - Dec 6 with 2796 viewsbonymine

Only relevant I guess for those of a similar age as myself (mid fifties) but OFAH is for me a timeless piece of classic British comedy which never ceases to make me laugh no matter how many times I may watch the same episode.

Just wondering if it’s only me or do others on here enjoy the brilliant comedy, timing and rapport between ‘Del and Rodney’ as I never tire of watching any episode and in fact, it gives me a huge lift if I’m feeling a bit down as it takes me back to my ‘carefree’ days of the 1980’s !!

The same era we also had The Two Ronnies and Morecambe & Wise so were blessed with TRUE comic genius at that time which I feel has not and never will be surpassed.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts out there .......

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Only Fools And Horses on 19:52 - Dec 6 with 1778 viewsmajorraglan

Top top programme, one of the best comedy series ever made along with that other classic Dads Army, which is still being shown some 40 to 50 yeas later. They don’t make them like that anymore!
Only Fools And Horses on 19:55 - Dec 6 with 1764 viewsexiledclaseboy

It’s a classic, but should have finished years before they finally stopped flogging it. Lost something after Del amd Rodney got themselves wives and families. I can’t watch it any more as it’s been ruined by endless repeats on Gold.

Poll: Tory leader

Only Fools And Horses on 19:55 - Dec 6 with 1763 viewsHighjack

Yeah it’s just utterly brilliant. You can get a few series and most of the specials on Netflix.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Only Fools And Horses on 19:59 - Dec 6 with 1745 viewsjack2jack

As it happens I just started to go through the whole lot last week, currently on series 3, one of if not the best of all time, absolutely superb, from the plots, the writting ,characters the whole lot is perfect. Never tire of them.
As you say takes you back to arguably better days.They have given me a bit of a lift, it has to be said, especially on these dark rainy evenings👍
Only Fools And Horses on 19:59 - Dec 6 with 1748 viewsbonymine

Only Fools And Horses on 19:52 - Dec 6 by majorraglan

Top top programme, one of the best comedy series ever made along with that other classic Dads Army, which is still being shown some 40 to 50 yeas later. They don’t make them like that anymore!

Yes indeed mate also the likes of Fawlty Towers only 8 episodes EVER !! Classic.

These days there are so many different programmes with numerous ‘Seasons and Episodes’ etc it’s hard to keeps a track on things.....sorry if I sound a bit like Victor Meldrew here (Google him you youngsters 😉) but I’m getting old and grumpy !!! 🤣🤣🤣

Only Fools And Horses on 20:00 - Dec 6 with 1740 viewsexiledclaseboy

Only Fools And Horses on 19:59 - Dec 6 by bonymine

Yes indeed mate also the likes of Fawlty Towers only 8 episodes EVER !! Classic.

These days there are so many different programmes with numerous ‘Seasons and Episodes’ etc it’s hard to keeps a track on things.....sorry if I sound a bit like Victor Meldrew here (Google him you youngsters 😉) but I’m getting old and grumpy !!! 🤣🤣🤣

There were 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers but your point stands. Phoenix Nights is another that benefits from the less is more philosophy. Again, only 12 episodes. Amd they’re hardly ever repeated.

Only Fools And Horses on 20:06 - Dec 6 with 1723 viewsHighjack

Only Fools And Horses on 19:59 - Dec 6 by jack2jack

As it happens I just started to go through the whole lot last week, currently on series 3, one of if not the best of all time, absolutely superb, from the plots, the writting ,characters the whole lot is perfect. Never tire of them.
As you say takes you back to arguably better days.They have given me a bit of a lift, it has to be said, especially on these dark rainy evenings👍

Yeah season 3 is one of the best. It’s a shame grandad snuffed it after that, but Albert was good too. The episode when grandad is pretending to be ill to get a better council house is one of my favourites. “His brain went years ago, now his legs have gone there’s only the middle bit left”.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Only Fools And Horses on 20:09 - Dec 6 with 1717 viewsbonymine

Only Fools And Horses on 20:00 - Dec 6 by exiledclaseboy

There were 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers but your point stands. Phoenix Nights is another that benefits from the less is more philosophy. Again, only 12 episodes. Amd they’re hardly ever repeated.

I stand corrected Andrew just posted that off the top of my head but have watched them all so many times I should have known better !!

Phoenix Nights again was superb with Peter Kay and Paddy McGuiness ....deadpan humour at its best the first time a mate of mine played me the show on VHS video (remember those 👍😉😳) I was in stitches !!!

Is it just me or is it the older you get the more you look back on your life and also the time going forward passes faster and faster ?????

Thanks in advance,

Victor Meldrew

🙈🙈🙈
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 20:41]

Login to get fewer ads

Only Fools And Horses on 20:11 - Dec 6 with 1707 viewsSwanzay

Phoenix Nights was superb!
Only Fools And Horses on 20:16 - Dec 6 with 1704 viewscmajack

Only Fools And Horses on 20:11 - Dec 6 by Swanzay

Phoenix Nights was superb!

Saw the live show at the MEN in Manchester, one of the funniest live shows I've ever seen. Best of the lot for me has to be fawlty towers.
Only Fools And Horses on 20:42 - Dec 6 with 1655 viewsWxmJax

Porridge

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Only Fools And Horses on 20:45 - Dec 6 with 1642 viewsAlgorfajack

Think you need to watch all of these classic comedies several times in order to appreciate the clever writing involved.

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

Only Fools And Horses on 20:45 - Dec 6 with 1644 viewsjackal

The scene when Del and Rodney , dressed as Batman and Robin, come running through the mist had me crying with laughter.

I have, literally, never laughed so much in all my life.

John Sullivan is a genius.
Only Fools And Horses on 20:47 - Dec 6 with 1639 viewsbonymine

Only Fools And Horses on 20:42 - Dec 6 by WxmJax

Porridge

Agree yet another classic ...not surprising though that nobody is putting forward a classic comedy series from the 2000’s on .....’they don’t make ‘em like they used to ......!,’

Only Fools And Horses on 20:48 - Dec 6 with 1631 viewsMrSwerve

I’m ‘only’ 31 but so glad I was brought up on good British comedies.

Dad’s army
Rising damp
Only fools and horses
It ain’t half hot mum
Fawlty towers

And from more recent times, Father Ted, Keeping up appearances and One foot in the grave.

Loved them all. It ain’t half hot mum goes a bit downhill after the first couple of series though.

Another one my parents like is allo allo, I’ve never really watched it to be honest but heard it’s excellent. On the to do list.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 20:51]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Only Fools And Horses on 20:55 - Dec 6 with 1604 viewsexiledclaseboy

Only Fools And Horses on 20:47 - Dec 6 by bonymine

Agree yet another classic ...not surprising though that nobody is putting forward a classic comedy series from the 2000’s on .....’they don’t make ‘em like they used to ......!,’

The Office.
The Thick of It.
The Inbetweeners.
Phoenix Nights
The IT Crowd.
Peep show.
The Royle Family
Outnumbered.

All 21st century creations.

Only Fools And Horses on 21:01 - Dec 6 with 1584 viewsbonymine

Only Fools And Horses on 20:55 - Dec 6 by exiledclaseboy

The Office.
The Thick of It.
The Inbetweeners.
Phoenix Nights
The IT Crowd.
Peep show.
The Royle Family
Outnumbered.

The pick of those in my opinion ie Phoenix Nights, The Royle Family and Outnumbered were good enough shows but not in the league of Any Fools & Horses but hey ....each to their own of course !!

Only Fools And Horses on 21:02 - Dec 6 with 1576 viewsMrSwerve

The office was great. Extras was fantastic too I thought.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Only Fools And Horses on 21:04 - Dec 6 with 1573 viewsexiledclaseboy

Only Fools And Horses on 21:01 - Dec 6 by bonymine

The pick of those in my opinion ie Phoenix Nights, The Royle Family and Outnumbered were good enough shows but not in the league of Any Fools & Horses but hey ....each to their own of course !!

It’s difficult to compare and they’re all different types of show but Phoenix Nights is probably my favourite sitcom ever. The Thick of It isn’t far behind. As you said, we’ll all have different favourites.

Only Fools And Horses on 21:15 - Dec 6 with 1551 viewsJackSomething

The Office.
The Thick of It.
The Inbetweeners.
Phoenix Nights
The IT Crowd.
Peep show.
The Royle Family
Outnumbered.

If you want to go a bit more niche, I'd add Spaced, Mighty Boosh, and Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. Again, shows that didn't outstay their welcome and go on too long.

If you add in American shows, there's plenty more to add:

The US Office
Parks and Recreation
Arrested Development
Modern Family
Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Community
The Good Place

I love a lot of the older shows mentioned by others and grew up watching lots of them, but comedies have improved massively in general. They've largely moved away from studio audiences, canned laughter, single camera, etc. Some of the shows you and I have listed wouldn't be seen as sitcoms by others as they have evolved and they're all the better for it in my opinion.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 21:16]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Only Fools And Horses on 21:21 - Dec 6 with 1534 viewsFlashberryjack

Only Fools And Horses on 20:48 - Dec 6 by MrSwerve

I’m ‘only’ 31 but so glad I was brought up on good British comedies.

Dad’s army
Rising damp
Only fools and horses
It ain’t half hot mum
Fawlty towers

And from more recent times, Father Ted, Keeping up appearances and One foot in the grave.

Loved them all. It ain’t half hot mum goes a bit downhill after the first couple of series though.

Another one my parents like is allo allo, I’ve never really watched it to be honest but heard it’s excellent. On the to do list.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 20:51]

Loved Rising damp, Leonard Rossiter as Rigsby was brilliant.

But agree with the OP...Fools & Horses was the best of the best IMO

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Only Fools And Horses on 21:30 - Dec 6 with 1517 viewslonglostjack

Not only comedy - Boys from the Blackstuff - Yosser Hughes. All a bit sanitised these days.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Only Fools And Horses on 21:31 - Dec 6 with 1513 viewsbonymine

Only Fools And Horses on 21:30 - Dec 6 by longlostjack

Not only comedy - Boys from the Blackstuff - Yosser Hughes. All a bit sanitised these days.

Gissa Job !!!

Only Fools And Horses on 21:37 - Dec 6 with 1504 viewssquarebear

The Office.
The Thick of It.
The Inbetweeners.
Phoenix Nights
The IT Crowd.
Peep show.
The Royle Family
Outnumbered.

Surprised you didn’t mention Early Doors - a lovely understated sitcom similar to Royle Family.
Only Fools And Horses on 21:40 - Dec 6 with 1498 viewsexiledclaseboy

Only Fools And Horses on 21:37 - Dec 6 by squarebear

Surprised you didn’t mention Early Doors - a lovely understated sitcom similar to Royle Family.

I’m surprised as well cos it’s one of my favourites. We went to see the live show in Cardiff a couple of months ago, it was brilliant. Great shout.

To the regiment!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024