Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dyer and Routledge 19:39 - Dec 9 with 3179 viewsjacabertawe

OK, we had two players - Routledge in particular - who stepped in and played well yesterday. Both have garnered criticism from many in the past, but they are experienced and ex-Premier players who I would argue still have a lot to give in the Championship, particularly bearing in mind our raw young and threadbare squad.
Routs out of contract this year, Dyer 2020 and presumably still on Premier pay.
I am assuming, without disrespect, that their future playing would be at this level. Could/should we offer either or both new contracts from January at our Championship pay level, should there be no buyers and they want to stay?
Constructive discussion, please!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2018 9:36]

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Dyer and Routledge on 19:43 - Dec 9 with 3162 viewsairedale

The year we got promoted, imo Routledge was the best player in the Championship.
Dyer and Routledge on 20:19 - Dec 9 with 3045 viewsthornabyswan

Dyer and Routledge on 19:43 - Dec 9 by airedale

The year we got promoted, imo Routledge was the best player in the Championship.

Got to laugh at the reactions on here had dogs abuse for the last 3 seasons.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Dyer and Routledge on 21:15 - Dec 9 with 2973 viewsBadlands

I'd get Rangel back as well.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Dyer and Routledge on 21:42 - Dec 9 with 2906 viewsAguycalledJack

Dyer and Routledge on 21:15 - Dec 9 by Badlands

Judging them on yesterday’s performance,they both have a lot to offer in this division.
Dyer and Routledge on 21:43 - Dec 9 with 2902 viewsmidswan

Bonkers to think Routs can't offer anything at this level. Still an intelligent player who also adds much needed experience. Someone pointed out on the other Rout and Dyer thread that ,yes, they are not the future but we are in the now and if they offer more than other players then they should be playing. Can't see either leaving in Jan as doubt either would get similar money anywhere else, ergo if you're paying them then play them.
You'd have thought that extending their contracts whilst in the Prem was with one eye to going into Champ so to blank them out just makes no sense.
Dyer and Routledge on 22:01 - Dec 9 with 2848 viewsFireboy2

Dyer and Routledge on 21:15 - Dec 9 by Badlands

Said that to our lot yesterday
Dyer and Routledge on 22:05 - Dec 9 with 2835 viewsTheKirkyLife

I've been one of the biggest Routledge critics. Dyer didn't impress me this season so far. Yesterday proved to me they still should have a place and that Potter has been pretty silly not to utilise them more often in the rotation.
Dyer and Routledge on 22:32 - Dec 9 with 2773 viewsjasper_T

Routledge 34 in a month. If he plays regularly, and well, and is willing to take a 90% pay cut then give him a new short term deal in June... Maybe.

Think we'll be stuck with Dyer for another season regardless. Why on Earth offer him another new deal? Not like he'd have any incentive to drop down a few pay grades.

Any offers at all in January they're out the door to cover the salary of 4 or 5 of their teammates. Potter and the club are thinking long term development of a squad, expensive old guard only hold back that process.
Login to get fewer ads

Dyer and Routledge on 07:03 - Dec 10 with 2585 viewsSWANSEYE

Totally agree . .we have a young solid and we need players with the experience of the Championship to play with them and Routledge and Dyer will provide a threat
Dyer and Routledge on 10:24 - Dec 10 with 2409 viewsBadlands

'We used our experience. We’ve a lot to offer - we’re not over the hill and we have plenty left in the tank," Dyer said.'
That sounds like he and Routs are more than a little cheesed off.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Dyer and Routledge on 10:41 - Dec 10 with 2376 views3swan

Dyer and Routledge on 10:24 - Dec 10 by Badlands

'We used our experience. We’ve a lot to offer - we’re not over the hill and we have plenty left in the tank," Dyer said.'
That sounds like he and Routs are more than a little cheesed off.

Yep, have a look at their reaction after the first goal on Saturday
Dyer and Routledge on 15:50 - Dec 10 with 2216 viewsicecoldjack

Dyer and Routledge on 22:32 - Dec 9 by jasper_T

Routledge 34 in a month. If he plays regularly, and well, and is willing to take a 90% pay cut then give him a new short term deal in June... Maybe.

Think we'll be stuck with Dyer for another season regardless. Why on Earth offer him another new deal? Not like he'd have any incentive to drop down a few pay grades.

Any offers at all in January they're out the door to cover the salary of 4 or 5 of their teammates. Potter and the club are thinking long term development of a squad, expensive old guard only hold back that process.

True, but it's a balance, which is called management !

The young players can end up with confidence drained as much as confidence developed, potter, if allowed, should have been playing experienced guys like routs and dyer when we played the likes of Norwich and Derby, just to steady us a bit.

They are more than good enough in this league and should be used far more regular than they have been.

I'm not 100% sure if the club are looking at appearance clauses or high appearance bonus but to not play experience has been our downfall many times this season.

Potter needs to manage all resources not just throw young players in regardless of what experience is there at hand to help, im sure potter knows this which is why I feel his hands have been tied RE the two mentioned, if his hands arn't tied then he's a bit daft not to use those players in tough games .
Dyer and Routledge on 16:26 - Dec 10 with 2178 viewsjasper_T

We came into the Norwich game in excellent form. If we'd played Routledge or Dyer it would have meant dropping Naughton (an experienced player), Connor or DJ. Potter would have been roasted if he'd changed the team from before the international break, dropping our young form players, and it had led to a loss.
Dyer and Routledge on 17:40 - Dec 10 with 2099 viewsicecoldjack

Dyer and Routledge on 16:26 - Dec 10 by jasper_T

We came into the Norwich game in excellent form. If we'd played Routledge or Dyer it would have meant dropping Naughton (an experienced player), Connor or DJ. Potter would have been roasted if he'd changed the team from before the international break, dropping our young form players, and it had led to a loss.

I accept your point on Norwich but You do know potter changes the team all the time right ?

That's hardly an argument, especially as he's never been scared of changing it up no matter what, away at villa was an example.
He dropped a goalkeeper that was in fantastic form too remember.

My point is that while Norwich is not a great example perhaps, there is a need to play some wise heads now and again against certain opposition .

Is he managing his resources correctly or is he being told what resources he can use ?
That's a question, especially as it's clear both players can do a good job for this team.
Routs was IMO quite emotional in his interview after the game, nice to see and he clearly thinks he can help the young players progress.
Dyer and Routledge on 18:06 - Dec 10 with 2067 viewsjasper_T

Dyer and Routledge on 17:40 - Dec 10 by icecoldjack

I accept your point on Norwich but You do know potter changes the team all the time right ?

That's hardly an argument, especially as he's never been scared of changing it up no matter what, away at villa was an example.
He dropped a goalkeeper that was in fantastic form too remember.

My point is that while Norwich is not a great example perhaps, there is a need to play some wise heads now and again against certain opposition .

Is he managing his resources correctly or is he being told what resources he can use ?
That's a question, especially as it's clear both players can do a good job for this team.
Routs was IMO quite emotional in his interview after the game, nice to see and he clearly thinks he can help the young players progress.

He dropped a goalkeeper in fantastic form and it was widely regarded as a huge mistake, yes. Generally the feeling is less chopping and changing would be better than more.
Dyer and Routledge on 18:40 - Dec 10 with 2034 viewsicecoldjack

Dyer and Routledge on 18:06 - Dec 10 by jasper_T

He dropped a goalkeeper in fantastic form and it was widely regarded as a huge mistake, yes. Generally the feeling is less chopping and changing would be better than more.

And yet 6 changes on the weekend.

So his MO is to chop and change yet not use any experience.

All a bit odd really
Dyer and Routledge on 18:51 - Dec 10 with 2013 viewsFlashberryjack

Dyer and Routledge on 20:19 - Dec 9 by thornabyswan

Got to laugh at the reactions on here had dogs abuse for the last 3 seasons.

I think that most were arguing that Routledge and Dyer were championship players playing in the PL.

We are a championship now, so the OP question is relevent.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024