Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who speaks Welsh? 07:52 - Dec 11 with 13538 viewsSgorioFruit

Thought I’d ask to find out how many planet swans chaps speak Welsh. Or are learning/have learned the language?

Pwy siarad Cymraeg?

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Who speaks Welsh? on 10:31 - Dec 13 with 1832 viewsglobus10

Personal experience matey.. in Carmarthenshire .. jobs... fact
Who speaks Welsh? on 15:32 - Dec 13 with 1773 viewsTNT

Fluent and very proud of it.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Who speaks Welsh? on 17:43 - Dec 13 with 1734 viewsJackfath

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:53 - Dec 12 by Jack59

Please campaign for this site to go bilingual, it will have my full support.

That’s a great idea! We should have a section devoted to those that speak the language. Come on mods, make it happen!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Who speaks Welsh? on 17:51 - Dec 13 with 1726 viewsglobus10

Yeh go for it! Wont be that busy though, you may even have a show on S4c, probably within a week and be heavily subsidised by the assembly!
Who speaks Welsh? on 18:36 - Dec 13 with 1717 viewsPacemaker

Who speaks Welsh? on 17:43 - Dec 13 by Jackfath

That’s a great idea! We should have a section devoted to those that speak the language. Come on mods, make it happen!

There was a Welsh language forum on here at one time.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:02 - Dec 13 with 1684 viewsdickythorpe

Who speaks Welsh? on 17:43 - Dec 13 by Jackfath

A "swap shop" as well.
Who speaks Welsh? on 21:37 - Dec 13 with 1671 viewslifelong

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:02 - Dec 13 by dickythorpe

A "swap shop" as well.

That was tried once before, sort of a Planet Swans car boot sale.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:22 - Dec 13 with 1629 viewsBytholWyn

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:04 - Dec 12 by Jack59

I'm a proud Welshman, and I'm really ashamed of the pathetic attempt at governance going on in Cardiff.

Well, you have a very strange way of showing it. What I really can't understand is how anyone claiming to be a proud Welshman can diss the Welsh language. It's not the only thing that makes up Welsh identity, and anyone who's able to speak it isn't a better Welshman or woman just for that fact - but to disregard something so fundamental to our collective heritage is incomprehensible.

Incidentally, this even applies to those proclaiming a British identity. It is possible to have a healthy British identity that embraces and values all the languages, cultures and traditions of the UK (Alan Beith beign a good example), whether indigenous or more recent, e.g. English, Afro-Caribbean, Asian or Polish. Shame, that for so many a British identity is little more than a monolithic English identity masquerading as something inclusive.
Login to get fewer ads

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:45 - Dec 13 with 1615 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 00:32 - Dec 13 by Jack_Meoff

Keeping the Welsh language alive is priceless, surely?

If you really feel that way, then by definition you'd be happy if most of the Welsh budget was spent on it. fair enough, that's your opinion.
Who speaks Welsh? on 00:10 - Dec 14 with 1601 viewsDJack

Who speaks Welsh? on 18:36 - Dec 13 by Pacemaker

He knows that. He took the piss for a while and then started putting a post or two on it.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:11 - Dec 14 with 1547 viewsJacksawayatWalesgame

Who speaks Welsh? on 10:04 - Dec 11 by GreatBritton

My definition of a true gentleman is someone who can speak Welsh but doesn't

Clever soundbite, but utter bollocks.
Who speaks Welsh? on 11:18 - Dec 14 with 1544 viewsHighjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 18:36 - Dec 13 by Pacemaker

Yes and it was an utter disaster and filled with oddballs.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Who speaks Welsh? on 14:36 - Dec 14 with 1519 viewsJosey_Wales37

Learning at my own pace through Duolingo at moment. Its free and over a million have signed up to that site alone to learn Welsh. Growing numbers of my friends are learning, with some already speaking fluently who would like to use as first language.

Was working down Pembrokeshire a while back where I was asked regularly by other learners if I could speak Welsh and witnessed quite a few using as first language.

I see it as a sellable commodity for our country in the future, people from other countries find it very interesting that countries have their own language, culture and ID. Was speaking to some one the other day who learned in 6months through Say something in Welsh, and now runs his own business through it.
Who speaks Welsh? on 15:04 - Dec 14 with 1509 viewsJacksawayatWalesgame

Good post, Josey Wales. We’re often told how anglicised Pembrokeshire is. Actually a lot of Welsh is spoken down there.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 15:16]
Who speaks Welsh? on 15:23 - Dec 14 with 1500 viewswestwalesed

Yes, I'm a Welsh speaker and I'm very pleased to have learned it as it is my second language. It's been invaluable for job opportunities down west.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Who speaks Welsh? on 17:42 - Dec 14 with 1474 viewsScotia

Welsh has got to be the most socially engineered language in the world?
And because of that given thousands of incompetent people jobs in the public sector.
Who speaks Welsh? on 18:56 - Dec 14 with 1455 viewsBrynCartwright

Who speaks Welsh? on 17:42 - Dec 14 by Scotia

And because of that given thousands of incompetent people jobs in the public sector.

How is it "socially engineered"? you may be thinking pf Esperanto.

Welsh is the language of Cymru. It is ancient. The only way it will die is if there is a global catastrophe like a runaway Greenhouse effect or large-scale asteroid impact.

You strike me as a very negative person. Then again, if you have lived in Scotland for any amount of time you may very well be very chippy .

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Who speaks Welsh? on 19:48 - Dec 14 with 1440 viewsScotia

Who speaks Welsh? on 18:56 - Dec 14 by BrynCartwright

How is it "socially engineered"? you may be thinking pf Esperanto.

Welsh is the language of Cymru. It is ancient. The only way it will die is if there is a global catastrophe like a runaway Greenhouse effect or large-scale asteroid impact.

You strike me as a very negative person. Then again, if you have lived in Scotland for any amount of time you may very well be very chippy .

Well just one example.

About 23% of people who live here can speak it, yet every public document must be produced in both Welsh and English, even though every one of those 23% could understand it in English. If that's not engineering what is?

Don't get me wrong it's quite nice to have but it's a bit of a novelty, no more than that and should be allowed to evolve naturally not have a hugely disproportionate amount of money spent trying to keep it alive.
Who speaks Welsh? on 21:10 - Dec 14 with 1421 viewslonglostjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 17:42 - Dec 14 by Scotia

Socially engineered - How about English?

Dosh (Hindi)
Anonymous (Greek)
Loot (Hindi)
Guru (Sanskrit)
Safari (Arabic)
Cigar (Spanish)
Cartoon (Italian)
Wanderlust (German)
Cookie (Dutch)

Edit: What do you mean by socially engineered language?
Personally one of my biggest regrets is that I don’t speak Welsh.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 21:22]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:20 - Dec 14 with 1404 viewsScotia

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:10 - Dec 14 by longlostjack

Dosh (Hindi)
Anonymous (Greek)
Loot (Hindi)
Guru (Sanskrit)
Safari (Arabic)
Cigar (Spanish)
Cartoon (Italian)
Wanderlust (German)
Cookie (Dutch)

I'd say that's evolution, adapting other words to use in a different language if a more useful word exists.

Have you heard people speaking Welsh? I'd say most use about 20% wenglish and openly admit it, let it evolve to where it belongs. Which is Gwynedd, Ceredigion and St Fagans.
Who speaks Welsh? on 21:23 - Dec 14 with 1399 viewsTNT

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:10 - Dec 14 by longlostjack

Dosh (Hindi)
Anonymous (Greek)
Loot (Hindi)
Guru (Sanskrit)
Safari (Arabic)
Cigar (Spanish)
Cartoon (Italian)
Wanderlust (German)
Cookie (Dutch)

Yeah, if the dull prik bothered to read etymology, he'd see what a bastardised language English is.

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:26 - Dec 14 with 1392 viewslonglostjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:20 - Dec 14 by Scotia

I'd say that's evolution, adapting other words to use in a different language if a more useful word exists.

Have you heard people speaking Welsh? I'd say most use about 20% wenglish and openly admit it, let it evolve to where it belongs. Which is Gwynedd, Ceredigion and St Fagans.

Language is a fluid beast and Welsh is no exception. Good to see that it’s a living language again outside Gwynedd and Ceredigion.

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:32 - Dec 14 with 1385 viewsTNT

Who speaks Welsh? on 00:10 - Dec 14 by DJack

He knows that. He took the piss for a while and then started putting a post or two on it.

This

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:02 - Dec 14 with 1360 viewsScotia

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:26 - Dec 14 by longlostjack

Language is a fluid beast and Welsh is no exception. Good to see that it’s a living language again outside Gwynedd and Ceredigion.

Thanks to a huge amount of financial support. Personally I would rather the millions of pounds, and I mean millions, directly or indirectly spent on it be spent elsewhere.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:45 - Dec 14 with 1318 viewslonglostjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:02 - Dec 14 by Scotia

Thanks to a huge amount of financial support. Personally I would rather the millions of pounds, and I mean millions, directly or indirectly spent on it be spent elsewhere.

Fair enough that's your opinion. You sound like one of those who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024