Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who speaks Welsh? 07:52 - Dec 11 with 13702 viewsSgorioFruit

Thought I’d ask to find out how many planet swans chaps speak Welsh. Or are learning/have learned the language?

Pwy siarad Cymraeg?

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:40 - Apr 25 with 1463 viewsvalleyboy

Who speaks Welsh? on 18:13 - Dec 19 by Josey_Wales37

Dim problemo :)

“Problemo”

Pigeon Welsh if ever there was such a word
Who speaks Welsh? on 11:46 - Apr 25 with 1458 viewsvalleyboy

Who speaks Welsh? on 12:25 - Dec 20 by Scotia

Yes I do. With the exception of a year in uni in Brum have done my entire life.
I also work for the Welsh government, so see how little it's used, how much money is wasted on it and the incompetence of Welsh speaking colleagues every day.

“Incompetence of Welsh speaking colleagues”

They most probably had the job in the first place because they could speak the languages and not because they were the best candidate

Where else in industry or commerce would they get a job because they could speak the language rather than how good they are for doing that work

The BBC in Wales is exactly the same
Who speaks Welsh? on 11:54 - Apr 25 with 1446 viewsLohengrin

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:40 - Apr 25 by valleyboy

“Problemo”

Pigeon Welsh if ever there was such a word

*Pidgin

In linguistics accuracy is all.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Who speaks Welsh? on 12:26 - Apr 25 with 1415 viewsLeonWasGod

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:32 - Apr 25 by valleyboy

If anyone is a moron, it has to be you

In fact I agree a lot in what Jack 59 has written and that’s somebody that went to a Welsh speaking school for 8 years

What rubbish you write that most countries use two languages. But what use is that when English is the preferred International language in the World

Take Scotland for example. There most people in Scotland speaks English but there are some that speak Gaelic

Now what use is Gaelic in this modern World

In Wales, only about 11% of the population speaks the language fluently and in where there’s been a drop of over 7000 people that don’t speak the language anymore in the last 10 years

Then as for you saying stopping Trident, HS2, Heathrow expansion and cross rail.

Then why should that money be coming to Wales??

As the money created to do these projects come from the people and industries of England with nothing coming from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for any of those projects

Remembering that in the last audit. Wales showed a £15 billion deficit

Perhaps the people of Wales needs to get off their backsides and did some work for a change. Rather than do nothing, other than to claim their benefits

"What rubbish you write that most countries use two languages. But what use is that when English is the preferred International language in the World "

Whilst not literally only "two languages" there's a few countries where multiple languages are spoken. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multilingual_countries_and_regions

And there's lots of use to that. There are loads of reasons to speak more than one language, for personal, communal and even economic reasons. https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/hide-and-seek/201807/beyond-words-the-
Who speaks Welsh? on 13:49 - Apr 25 with 1392 viewsvalleyboy

Who speaks Welsh? on 12:26 - Apr 25 by LeonWasGod

"What rubbish you write that most countries use two languages. But what use is that when English is the preferred International language in the World "

Whilst not literally only "two languages" there's a few countries where multiple languages are spoken. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multilingual_countries_and_regions

And there's lots of use to that. There are loads of reasons to speak more than one language, for personal, communal and even economic reasons. https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/hide-and-seek/201807/beyond-words-the-

The point I was making is that English is the recognised international language in the World

Most countries have regional languages besides the main one of that country

But when you go out of those particular regions, they are absolutely no use at all

Why do you think the Japanese set up so many factories in the UK rather than say France, Germany, Belgium, Spain etc

For a simple reason, in that they wanted to set up these factories in where the language was English and of course the financial institutions of the City of London

Yes they had favourable grants, but they would have had those grants from the other countries I mentioned
Who speaks Welsh? on 16:11 - Apr 25 with 1357 viewsjohnlangy

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:32 - Apr 25 by valleyboy

If anyone is a moron, it has to be you

In fact I agree a lot in what Jack 59 has written and that’s somebody that went to a Welsh speaking school for 8 years

What rubbish you write that most countries use two languages. But what use is that when English is the preferred International language in the World

Take Scotland for example. There most people in Scotland speaks English but there are some that speak Gaelic

Now what use is Gaelic in this modern World

In Wales, only about 11% of the population speaks the language fluently and in where there’s been a drop of over 7000 people that don’t speak the language anymore in the last 10 years

Then as for you saying stopping Trident, HS2, Heathrow expansion and cross rail.

Then why should that money be coming to Wales??

As the money created to do these projects come from the people and industries of England with nothing coming from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for any of those projects

Remembering that in the last audit. Wales showed a £15 billion deficit

Perhaps the people of Wales needs to get off their backsides and did some work for a change. Rather than do nothing, other than to claim their benefits

Valleyboy, you've said similar things in the past from memory. It's been explained by myself and others so many times I don't understand why you keep repeating rubbish.

The £15 billion you refer to was not calculated via an audit, it was a simpleton in some English newspaper taking two numbers, Welsh Expenditure and Welsh Revenue as calculated by Westminster, subtracting one from the other and coming up with £15 billion. Anyone who thinks that the strength/weakness of the Welsh economy can be explained away by quoting two numbers also has to be a simpleton.

You seem to want it two ways. You quote this £15 billion deficit while ignoring the fact, note that word FACT, that around £14 billion of the cost of Trident, HS2, Heathrow Expansion and Crossrail has been or will be attributed to Wales as 'Welsh Expenditure'.

And you also have to be a special kind of dickhead to say 'Perhaps the people of Wales needs to get off their backsides and did some work for a change. Rather than do nothing, other than to claim their benefits'.

So none of us work, we all sit on our backsides and claim benefits. Where the £30 billion of Welsh tax comes from I don't know.

You are a fool.
Who speaks Welsh? on 16:33 - Apr 25 with 1348 viewsvalleyboy

Who speaks Welsh? on 16:11 - Apr 25 by johnlangy

Valleyboy, you've said similar things in the past from memory. It's been explained by myself and others so many times I don't understand why you keep repeating rubbish.

The £15 billion you refer to was not calculated via an audit, it was a simpleton in some English newspaper taking two numbers, Welsh Expenditure and Welsh Revenue as calculated by Westminster, subtracting one from the other and coming up with £15 billion. Anyone who thinks that the strength/weakness of the Welsh economy can be explained away by quoting two numbers also has to be a simpleton.

You seem to want it two ways. You quote this £15 billion deficit while ignoring the fact, note that word FACT, that around £14 billion of the cost of Trident, HS2, Heathrow Expansion and Crossrail has been or will be attributed to Wales as 'Welsh Expenditure'.

And you also have to be a special kind of dickhead to say 'Perhaps the people of Wales needs to get off their backsides and did some work for a change. Rather than do nothing, other than to claim their benefits'.

So none of us work, we all sit on our backsides and claim benefits. Where the £30 billion of Welsh tax comes from I don't know.

You are a fool.

Not a simpleton in some English newspaper at all

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/view/228329-new-report-detailing-wales-public-sec

Suggest you read the article above
Who speaks Welsh? on 18:33 - Apr 25 with 1310 viewsjohnlangy

Who speaks Welsh? on 16:33 - Apr 25 by valleyboy

Not a simpleton in some English newspaper at all

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/view/228329-new-report-detailing-wales-public-sec

Suggest you read the article above

The figures WERE reported in various English newspapers including the Mail. The fact they have been regurgitated in this report doesn't make them any more honest about the reality of the Welsh Economy.

I'll say it again.

The report quotes 'Total Welsh public sector spending by all levels of government in 2014-15 was £38.0 billion'. This figure includes 5% of the cost of infrastructure projects which the Westminster government deems to be an investment that benefits the whole of the UK. All the projects I referred to come into this category.

HS2 and Crossrail are of zero benefit to Wales but will add £5/6 billion to what they call 'Welsh Public Sector spending'. That's £5/6 billion purely for the benefit of England. Trident - a few Welsh firms will probably get some contracts but virtually the whole of the £100 billion plus of spend will be of almost no benefit to Wales but will add another £5 billion to 'Total Welsh Public sector spend'.

Heathrow expansion the same - £1.5 billion again. The list goes on.

The report quotes 'Total public sector revenues in Wales in 2014-15 were estimated at £23.3 billion'. The estimate is of taxes registered as having been paid in Wales. The estimate does not include billions of Welsh taxes registered in England.

As i've said before, if you take out the billions from the expenditure figure and add the billions to the revenue figure the reality is very different.

So that begs the question why are they so eager to portray the Welsh Economy as being so weak ?
Login to get fewer ads

Who speaks Welsh? on 19:04 - Apr 25 with 1300 viewsKilkennyjack

Come on Cymru

Beware of the Risen People

Who speaks Welsh? on 19:14 - Apr 25 with 1294 viewsvalleyboy

Who speaks Welsh? on 19:04 - Apr 25 by Kilkennyjack

Come on Cymru

That’s why only 11% of Welsh people want to be independent
Who speaks Welsh? on 19:33 - Apr 25 with 1288 viewsKilkennyjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 19:14 - Apr 25 by valleyboy

That’s why only 11% of Welsh people want to be independent

Its only silly old b@stards like you who want wales to be wales-shire.
Luckily the young people dont live on their knees like you.

Once Scotland and Ireland are free and successful then Wales will follow and take its place amongst the nations of the world.

One point;

I have useless people who work with me who can only speak English. Should we stop recruiting all people who can only speak English ?

You must live in a fecking miserable valley.

Cymraeg should be supported via reparations paid for by the uk government.
The case is unanswerable.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 19:36]

Beware of the Risen People

Who speaks Welsh? on 19:34 - Apr 25 with 1287 viewstheeaglehaslanded

Dwy siarad Cymraeg...

Ain't there free courses to learn our mother tongue in Wales?
Who speaks Welsh? on 19:54 - Apr 25 with 1278 viewsvalleyboy

Who speaks Welsh? on 19:33 - Apr 25 by Kilkennyjack

Its only silly old b@stards like you who want wales to be wales-shire.
Luckily the young people dont live on their knees like you.

Once Scotland and Ireland are free and successful then Wales will follow and take its place amongst the nations of the world.

One point;

I have useless people who work with me who can only speak English. Should we stop recruiting all people who can only speak English ?

You must live in a fecking miserable valley.

Cymraeg should be supported via reparations paid for by the uk government.
The case is unanswerable.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 19:36]

You are right that the young don’t live on their knees these days

They bugger off and go and live and work in England if they want to succeed in life

The number of youngsters I have known over the years. That have done well in school/college/university that as soon has they have qualified have just pulled up roots and moved away from Wales

You only have to look at posters on here that have done the same
Who speaks Welsh? on 20:24 - Apr 25 with 1255 viewsBytholWyn

And aren't you the least bit curious why that might be? Perhaps it may have something to do with the systematic disinvestment by the Westminster government in Wales, so that the most talented in our country have to up sticks to realise their potential?

What talents do the Irish have that we lack in Wales? If the answer is none, then why is Ireland richer in terms of GDP per capita than the UK?
Who speaks Welsh? on 20:40 - Apr 25 with 1246 viewsLohengrin

Who speaks Welsh? on 20:24 - Apr 25 by BytholWyn

And aren't you the least bit curious why that might be? Perhaps it may have something to do with the systematic disinvestment by the Westminster government in Wales, so that the most talented in our country have to up sticks to realise their potential?

What talents do the Irish have that we lack in Wales? If the answer is none, then why is Ireland richer in terms of GDP per capita than the UK?

I caught a discussion on Radio 4 recently that would have been of interest to you.

This is a pretty good précis:

https://www.ft.com/content/6c7a0c9a-1913-30a2-a317-24d2623e1865

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:10 - Apr 25 with 1242 viewsBytholWyn

Who speaks Welsh? on 20:40 - Apr 25 by Lohengrin

I caught a discussion on Radio 4 recently that would have been of interest to you.

This is a pretty good précis:

https://www.ft.com/content/6c7a0c9a-1913-30a2-a317-24d2623e1865

It's behind a pay wall. You've got my interest mind...
Who speaks Welsh? on 21:27 - Apr 25 with 1226 viewsLohengrin

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:10 - Apr 25 by BytholWyn

It's behind a pay wall. You've got my interest mind...

Gross domestic product (GDP) — the product generated in a country- is similar to the gross national product (GNP) — the income of the country’s residents, in most countries.

But Ireland is one of the few countries where the two measures are significantly different and the gap between the two has been widening over time.
As Patrick Honohan (World Bank and CEPR) and Brendan Walsh (University College, Dublin) pointed out in a Brooking paper on economic activity, Ireland has by far the lowest standard rate of corporation tax on manufacturing among the advanced economies, resulting in multinational companies “locating a very high fraction of the enterprise’s global profits in Ireland (..) [but] in many cases, the huge profits recorded by the Irish affiliates have very little to do with the manufacturing activities being conducted in Ireland.”

The distortion could have significant impact in the way we calculate Irish economic performance and economic and fiscal position.

The GDP contraction during the economic crisis in 2009 was milder than that of GNP, while the economic recovery in 2011 was much faster.
The recovery in 2014 was the strongest in the Euro Area and similar across the two measures with growth rates of both GDP and GNP of approximately 5 per cent as domestic demand was a strong contributor to economic growth. Both the ECB and the Economic Research Institute (ESRI) forecast the Irish economic growth to remain strong in 2015 both in terms of GDP and GNP.

With GDP being about 20 per cent larger than GNP, Irish people appear to be richer that what they might feel they are. Ireland is first in the ranking of the Euro area (excluding Luxembourg) by GDP per capita.

But when we look at per capita gross national product, the Irish position is closer to the Euro area average.

Ireland can also boast to be in the top 10 world countries with the highest labour productivity as measured in GDP per hour worked. Using GNP figures its ranking would be very different.

The “distortion” of the Irish data led economic analysts- including ESRI- and Irish policy makers to prefer using GNP figures rather than GDP. International bodies- including Eurostat and the OECD use GDP figures but the OECD observer pointed out that Ireland GDP per head might not “accurately reflects Ireland’s actual wealth”.

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:49 - Apr 25 with 1207 viewsFlashberryjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:27 - Apr 25 by Lohengrin

Gross domestic product (GDP) — the product generated in a country- is similar to the gross national product (GNP) — the income of the country’s residents, in most countries.

But Ireland is one of the few countries where the two measures are significantly different and the gap between the two has been widening over time.
As Patrick Honohan (World Bank and CEPR) and Brendan Walsh (University College, Dublin) pointed out in a Brooking paper on economic activity, Ireland has by far the lowest standard rate of corporation tax on manufacturing among the advanced economies, resulting in multinational companies “locating a very high fraction of the enterprise’s global profits in Ireland (..) [but] in many cases, the huge profits recorded by the Irish affiliates have very little to do with the manufacturing activities being conducted in Ireland.”

The distortion could have significant impact in the way we calculate Irish economic performance and economic and fiscal position.

The GDP contraction during the economic crisis in 2009 was milder than that of GNP, while the economic recovery in 2011 was much faster.
The recovery in 2014 was the strongest in the Euro Area and similar across the two measures with growth rates of both GDP and GNP of approximately 5 per cent as domestic demand was a strong contributor to economic growth. Both the ECB and the Economic Research Institute (ESRI) forecast the Irish economic growth to remain strong in 2015 both in terms of GDP and GNP.

With GDP being about 20 per cent larger than GNP, Irish people appear to be richer that what they might feel they are. Ireland is first in the ranking of the Euro area (excluding Luxembourg) by GDP per capita.

But when we look at per capita gross national product, the Irish position is closer to the Euro area average.

Ireland can also boast to be in the top 10 world countries with the highest labour productivity as measured in GDP per hour worked. Using GNP figures its ranking would be very different.

The “distortion” of the Irish data led economic analysts- including ESRI- and Irish policy makers to prefer using GNP figures rather than GDP. International bodies- including Eurostat and the OECD use GDP figures but the OECD observer pointed out that Ireland GDP per head might not “accurately reflects Ireland’s actual wealth”.

The Irish must be much better off than us, have you seen the price of a round of drinks in Dublin.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:53 - Apr 25 with 1204 viewsLohengrin

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:49 - Apr 25 by Flashberryjack

The Irish must be much better off than us, have you seen the price of a round of drinks in Dublin.

That’s why you’ll mostly see visitors rather than locals in the pubs around Temple Bar, they’re not daft.

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:06 - Apr 25 with 1163 viewsBytholWyn

Who speaks Welsh? on 21:27 - Apr 25 by Lohengrin

I was aware of the somewhat anomalous position of the Irish economy when measured by GDP, but then again given how those on the right keep banging on about Britain having the 5th biggest economy in the world, then it's only fair to judge Ireland's performance by GDP also. However, even if you use GNI, which is regarded as being a more reliable measure of national income Ireland still comes in at 9th in the following list above the UK in 18th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_(nominal)_per_capita

Whichever way you look at it Britain's standing as an economy is nothing to write home about - behind all the Scandinavian countries and Ireland on GNI per capita.

Even taking the rather meaningless raw GDP figures the UK has, according to the IMF, slipped to 7th place, behind France and India: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-by-gdp/

The long term trajectory for the UK is to slip further down these tables. No great shame in that per se - given that it's inevitable that the fast-growing, populous economies of Asia, such as India, will overtake the UK sooner or later. Shame that the puffed up, exceptionalist rhetoric of British Nationalism is struggling to reconcile itself to reality.
Who speaks Welsh? on 09:20 - Apr 26 with 1101 viewsLohengrin

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:06 - Apr 25 by BytholWyn

I was aware of the somewhat anomalous position of the Irish economy when measured by GDP, but then again given how those on the right keep banging on about Britain having the 5th biggest economy in the world, then it's only fair to judge Ireland's performance by GDP also. However, even if you use GNI, which is regarded as being a more reliable measure of national income Ireland still comes in at 9th in the following list above the UK in 18th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_(nominal)_per_capita

Whichever way you look at it Britain's standing as an economy is nothing to write home about - behind all the Scandinavian countries and Ireland on GNI per capita.

Even taking the rather meaningless raw GDP figures the UK has, according to the IMF, slipped to 7th place, behind France and India: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-by-gdp/

The long term trajectory for the UK is to slip further down these tables. No great shame in that per se - given that it's inevitable that the fast-growing, populous economies of Asia, such as India, will overtake the UK sooner or later. Shame that the puffed up, exceptionalist rhetoric of British Nationalism is struggling to reconcile itself to reality.

Guilty as charged. I am a firm believer in European exceptionalism, Britain very much included, of course.

The research being undertaken by Swansea University in metallurgical processes for industrial application is benchmark, unquestionably world leading. Unfortunately it is being undertaken not in conjunction with British Steel but Tata. All that knowledge siphoned abroad when it ought, by any reasonable measure, be regarded as a key ‘National’ resource’ in the specialty market.

If there is one thing that ought to be Nationalised to safeguard the future prosperity of these islands it’s intellectual property because unlike North Sea oil that’s not going to run out.

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:52 - Apr 26 with 1073 viewsEbo

Rwy'n teimlo'n drist iawn bod pobl o Gymru nad ydynt yn parchu eu diwylliant a'u hiaith eu hunain. Yn hollol warthus!!!

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Who speaks Welsh? on 13:25 - Apr 26 with 1056 viewsLohengrin

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:52 - Apr 26 by Ebo

Rwy'n teimlo'n drist iawn bod pobl o Gymru nad ydynt yn parchu eu diwylliant a'u hiaith eu hunain. Yn hollol warthus!!!

Na fe.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024