Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who speaks Welsh? 07:52 - Dec 11 with 13679 viewsSgorioFruit

Thought I’d ask to find out how many planet swans chaps speak Welsh. Or are learning/have learned the language?

Pwy siarad Cymraeg?

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:10 - Dec 12 with 1744 viewsBrynCartwright

Who speaks Welsh? on 04:48 - Dec 12 by Jack59

I've got no problem with people wasting their own time, that's up to them,
But I've got a big problem with millions of pounds of public money being spent on the needless expansion of the language. That money should be going into the Welsh NHS, and anyone arguing otherwise should be made to advise patients why funding the language is more important than having a decent quality of life.
I remember the season before last in the Premiership, there were about four or five 30 second adverts coming on the big TV screens during each match. The advert consisted of a blank red screen with the word 'Cymru' in large white letters.
We really must have the most stupid electorate in the world for all this nonsense to go unpunished,
We used to have S4C getting £115 million a year for the pleasure of a few hundred people, absolutely barmy. What an absolute Joke.
The supermarkets have been forced to make public announcements in Welsh before English, and it's all been done without any public pressure or consultation.
What's next? Are we going to have loudspeakers hanging from trees.
No wonder we keep hearing 'Hymns and Arias' and the National Anthem all the time, this is the result of the brainwashing that's going on to make the Welsh public even more compliant to the WAG, as they start to take more and more income tax from us in the coming years.

Welsh government spending on the NHS 2016/17 was £6.381 billion...

https://gov.wales/statistics-and-research/nhs-expenditure-programme-budgets/?lan

Welsh government grant on promoting Welsh language 2018/19 is £4.2 million...

https://gov.wales/topics/welshlanguage/promoting/grants/?lang=en

Hence, by my calculation, Welsh government spending directly promoting our language and most fundamental display of our cultural independence is 0.06% of Welsh annual NHS spend. Language is perhaps the most integral part of a nation's make up and I for one completely approve of its promotion. Should you disagree, perhaps you should relocate to England.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Who speaks Welsh? on 11:32 - Dec 12 with 1704 viewsMogzzy9

Rwy'n siarad Gymraeg.
]I went to Welsh Primary and Secondary School - Ysgol Gyfun Llanhari. I live about 10 minutes from Bridgend and have spoken it my whole life but struggle a little more recently as I have no one to speak Welsh with.

[img]http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/giannis-zographos/british-football-club/128/Swansea-City-icon.png[/img]

Who speaks Welsh? on 13:04 - Dec 12 with 1681 viewsBytholWyn

Welsh speaker, born into a Welsh-speaking family.

I'm really curious jack59 as to your national identity: Welsh, British, English or other?
Who speaks Welsh? on 22:34 - Dec 12 with 1614 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:10 - Dec 12 by BrynCartwright

Welsh government spending on the NHS 2016/17 was £6.381 billion...

https://gov.wales/statistics-and-research/nhs-expenditure-programme-budgets/?lan

Welsh government grant on promoting Welsh language 2018/19 is £4.2 million...

https://gov.wales/topics/welshlanguage/promoting/grants/?lang=en

Hence, by my calculation, Welsh government spending directly promoting our language and most fundamental display of our cultural independence is 0.06% of Welsh annual NHS spend. Language is perhaps the most integral part of a nation's make up and I for one completely approve of its promotion. Should you disagree, perhaps you should relocate to England.

Who is stupid enough to believe that the Welsh language grant includes everything?

The expansion of the language has elements in every single WAG budget. and has done for many, many, years
Nobody knows the true cost, It would take the Harvard Business School a year to estimate the total cost to the Taxpayer.

I know of cases in Education, where some Head teachers, many Assistant Heads and many more on Management teams from Comprehensive Schools, have had to sit through Welsh Government organised presentations, performed in both Welsh and English, even when none of the invited requested or wanted a bilingual presentation.

Taking into account average salaries of Teachers at that level, each extra half day for 30 attendees having to listen to the Welsh language version as well could cost an extra £3,000 or more.
People would be stunned if they knew the true cost of it all.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:01 - Dec 12 with 1601 viewsmajorraglan

Who speaks Welsh? on 04:48 - Dec 12 by Jack59

I've got no problem with people wasting their own time, that's up to them,
But I've got a big problem with millions of pounds of public money being spent on the needless expansion of the language. That money should be going into the Welsh NHS, and anyone arguing otherwise should be made to advise patients why funding the language is more important than having a decent quality of life.
I remember the season before last in the Premiership, there were about four or five 30 second adverts coming on the big TV screens during each match. The advert consisted of a blank red screen with the word 'Cymru' in large white letters.
We really must have the most stupid electorate in the world for all this nonsense to go unpunished,
We used to have S4C getting £115 million a year for the pleasure of a few hundred people, absolutely barmy. What an absolute Joke.
The supermarkets have been forced to make public announcements in Welsh before English, and it's all been done without any public pressure or consultation.
What's next? Are we going to have loudspeakers hanging from trees.
No wonder we keep hearing 'Hymns and Arias' and the National Anthem all the time, this is the result of the brainwashing that's going on to make the Welsh public even more compliant to the WAG, as they start to take more and more income tax from us in the coming years.

The WAG have not forced supermarkets to make public announcements in Welsh before English, in fact the Welsh Language Act doesn’t apply to the vast majority of companies, it does apply to companies such as the utilities and telecom companies, however a lot of those organisations had voluntary rules and regulations in place before the Act was implemented. My local Lidl uses the Welsh language in its signage and announcements, Tesco has bilingual signs, I suspect this has come about because of increased awareness and commercial issues.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:04 - Dec 12 with 1595 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 13:04 - Dec 12 by BytholWyn

Welsh speaker, born into a Welsh-speaking family.

I'm really curious jack59 as to your national identity: Welsh, British, English or other?

I'm a proud Welshman, and I'm really ashamed of the pathetic attempt at governance going on in Cardiff.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:08 - Dec 12 with 1588 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:01 - Dec 12 by majorraglan

The WAG have not forced supermarkets to make public announcements in Welsh before English, in fact the Welsh Language Act doesn’t apply to the vast majority of companies, it does apply to companies such as the utilities and telecom companies, however a lot of those organisations had voluntary rules and regulations in place before the Act was implemented. My local Lidl uses the Welsh language in its signage and announcements, Tesco has bilingual signs, I suspect this has come about because of increased awareness and commercial issues.

Suspect whatever you like, but the reality is that the measures taken by the supermarkets came about as a direct result of WAG pressure and intervention, certainly not by any public pressure
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:12 - Dec 12 with 1584 viewsAguycalledJack

What I find odd, is that if somebody wants to learn a foreign language like let’s say french, Spanish or Italian they are praised and encouraged for doing so.

However, if somebody wants to learn welsh, the immediate reaction is why do you want to do that?

Surely, living and working in Wales the ability to speak welsh outweighs the ability to speak the other 3?
Login to get fewer ads

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:18 - Dec 12 with 1583 viewsBrynCartwright

Who speaks Welsh? on 22:34 - Dec 12 by Jack59

Who is stupid enough to believe that the Welsh language grant includes everything?

The expansion of the language has elements in every single WAG budget. and has done for many, many, years
Nobody knows the true cost, It would take the Harvard Business School a year to estimate the total cost to the Taxpayer.

I know of cases in Education, where some Head teachers, many Assistant Heads and many more on Management teams from Comprehensive Schools, have had to sit through Welsh Government organised presentations, performed in both Welsh and English, even when none of the invited requested or wanted a bilingual presentation.

Taking into account average salaries of Teachers at that level, each extra half day for 30 attendees having to listen to the Welsh language version as well could cost an extra £3,000 or more.
People would be stunned if they knew the true cost of it all.

So you are advocating we do not promote our natural tongue at all, and should only have English everywhere? Let's just abandon centuries of culture over a balance sheet? Man..you make me sick with your ignorance.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:23 - Dec 12 with 1580 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:18 - Dec 12 by BrynCartwright

So you are advocating we do not promote our natural tongue at all, and should only have English everywhere? Let's just abandon centuries of culture over a balance sheet? Man..you make me sick with your ignorance.

Boys mun, It's not the language that's the problem, it's all the money see!
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:26 - Dec 12 with 1576 viewsAguycalledJack

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:08 - Dec 12 by Jack59

Suspect whatever you like, but the reality is that the measures taken by the supermarkets came about as a direct result of WAG pressure and intervention, certainly not by any public pressure

Given that we live in wales, perhaps we shouldn’t have the English version. That will save shit loads of cash.

Would you go to a french supermarket and expect English translation ?
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:30 - Dec 12 with 1570 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:26 - Dec 12 by AguycalledJack

Given that we live in wales, perhaps we shouldn’t have the English version. That will save shit loads of cash.

Would you go to a french supermarket and expect English translation ?

Great, could the people of Wales have any say in that, or are you an AM able to do what you like without public scrutiny.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:35 - Dec 12 with 1564 viewsKilkennyjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:23 - Dec 12 by Jack59

Boys mun, It's not the language that's the problem, it's all the money see!

There is plenty of money for both the welsh language and the welsh nhs.

Its not a choice between the 2. Thats fake news.
As welsh people we should want/demand both.

Lets just ....., stop Brexit, stop illegal wars, and bin nuclear weapons.
Lets stop people and businesses from avoiding paying fair taxation.

I know you dont get this. Yes

Beware of the Risen People

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:37 - Dec 12 with 1562 viewsowainglyndwr

Most people in the Swansea Valley/ Cwmtawe native to the area understand or can speak welsh.
From Clydach onwards.
Personally my son and daughter in Law use welsh has their first language at home
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:41 - Dec 12 with 1561 viewsAguycalledJack

Not an AM, but I certainly believe in allowing and supporting a welsh person who speaks welsh to be able to access whatever they want in their own native language. I also believe that the language should be promoted. You clearly don’t live in a welsh speaking community where the language is used everyday both socially and in business.

By the way, being a non welsh speaker myself, I also used to have the same view as you but have come to realise how important the language is to people.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:44 - Dec 12 with 1555 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:41 - Dec 12 by AguycalledJack

Not an AM, but I certainly believe in allowing and supporting a welsh person who speaks welsh to be able to access whatever they want in their own native language. I also believe that the language should be promoted. You clearly don’t live in a welsh speaking community where the language is used everyday both socially and in business.

By the way, being a non welsh speaker myself, I also used to have the same view as you but have come to realise how important the language is to people.

Let's hope that in the coming years, you can develop the same feelings towards democracy.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:47 - Dec 12 with 1551 viewsAguycalledJack

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:44 - Dec 12 by Jack59

Let's hope that in the coming years, you can develop the same feelings towards democracy.

What are you on about?
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:53 - Dec 12 with 1545 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:47 - Dec 12 by AguycalledJack

What are you on about?

Please campaign for this site to go bilingual, it will have my full support.
Who speaks Welsh? on 23:55 - Dec 12 with 1543 viewsbuilthjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:04 - Dec 12 by Jack59

I'm a proud Welshman, and I'm really ashamed of the pathetic attempt at governance going on in Cardiff.

They speak English over the bridge, as well as about 150 other languages. Those other languages are even used in some schools now. Once you have been over there a while, you may want to come back. It's free from Sunday night.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:57 - Dec 12 with 1542 viewslifelong

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:53 - Dec 12 by Jack59

Please campaign for this site to go bilingual, it will have my full support.

You could move to London J59, there’s loads of languages spoken there. 👍
Who speaks Welsh? on 00:04 - Dec 13 with 1541 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 23:55 - Dec 12 by builthjack

They speak English over the bridge, as well as about 150 other languages. Those other languages are even used in some schools now. Once you have been over there a while, you may want to come back. It's free from Sunday night.

I thought I'd made it clear enough for everyone, but I'll do it again.

IT'S NOT THE LANGUAGE THAT'S THE PROBLEM, IT'S THE AMOUNT OF PUBLIC MONEY SPENT ON IT!

Incidentally, there are about 70 languages spoken in my local comprehensive in Swansea.
Who speaks Welsh? on 00:30 - Dec 13 with 1531 viewsBloodyhills

Who speaks Welsh? on 00:04 - Dec 13 by Jack59

IT'S NOT THE LANGUAGE THAT'S THE PROBLEM, IT'S THE AMOUNT OF PUBLIC MONEY SPENT ON IT!

Incidentally, there are about 70 languages spoken in my local comprehensive in Swansea.

What are they.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Who speaks Welsh? on 00:32 - Dec 13 with 1530 viewsJack_Meoff

Who speaks Welsh? on 00:04 - Dec 13 by Jack59

Keeping the Welsh language alive is priceless, surely?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Who speaks Welsh? on 07:58 - Dec 13 with 1479 viewsglobus10

I would love to speak welsh and have started to learn the language on a couple of occasions but maybe due to my laziness or lack of ability , once it got to the mutations i was flummoxed.However i picked up more at my workplace in Llanelli where maybe it was third welsh speaking. Being originally from Swansea and marrying a Swansea girl , there was never a need to speak Welsh. A large percentage of Swansea people are from Irish/English stock so its not a natural thing. Now living more west but not actually over the bridge so to speak , and having said i would love to speak welsh i resent the superior stance welsh speakers take in certain ‘border areas’ near the Carmarthenshire area. There is also in my opinion a bias in Carmarthenshire to Welsh speakers in the workplace, which borders on discrimination. But hey they point to the fact that if you are in Wales and you should speak welsh, with the legislation that goes with it.
So in answer to the original post. No i dont speak welsh, i am a bit of an enigma because i would like to , but i resent the discrimination against English speaking welsh who make up 80% of the country.
Who speaks Welsh? on 10:09 - Dec 13 with 1439 viewslifelong

Who speaks Welsh? on 07:58 - Dec 13 by globus10

I would love to speak welsh and have started to learn the language on a couple of occasions but maybe due to my laziness or lack of ability , once it got to the mutations i was flummoxed.However i picked up more at my workplace in Llanelli where maybe it was third welsh speaking. Being originally from Swansea and marrying a Swansea girl , there was never a need to speak Welsh. A large percentage of Swansea people are from Irish/English stock so its not a natural thing. Now living more west but not actually over the bridge so to speak , and having said i would love to speak welsh i resent the superior stance welsh speakers take in certain ‘border areas’ near the Carmarthenshire area. There is also in my opinion a bias in Carmarthenshire to Welsh speakers in the workplace, which borders on discrimination. But hey they point to the fact that if you are in Wales and you should speak welsh, with the legislation that goes with it.
So in answer to the original post. No i dont speak welsh, i am a bit of an enigma because i would like to , but i resent the discrimination against English speaking welsh who make up 80% of the country.

In what way are English speaking people in Wales discriminated against?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024