Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who speaks Welsh? 07:52 - Dec 11 with 13705 viewsSgorioFruit

Thought I’d ask to find out how many planet swans chaps speak Welsh. Or are learning/have learned the language?

Pwy siarad Cymraeg?

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Who speaks Welsh? on 08:54 - Dec 11 with 6325 viewssquarebear

I tried learning it a year ago (there’s an app) but my brain is mush. Nothing sank in.

My parents were English speakers (my dad was of the generation who would be beaten at school for speaking Welsh). Even if it had been taught at school in the seventies I’d have swerved it in favour of a “more useful” subject.
Who speaks Welsh? on 09:33 - Dec 11 with 6291 viewsCatullus

Who speaks Welsh? on 08:54 - Dec 11 by squarebear

I tried learning it a year ago (there’s an app) but my brain is mush. Nothing sank in.

My parents were English speakers (my dad was of the generation who would be beaten at school for speaking Welsh). Even if it had been taught at school in the seventies I’d have swerved it in favour of a “more useful” subject.

I wasn't allowed to learn Welsh, I was in the wrong stream at school and I could only do Latin. 2 years of Latin, what a waste, literally because I remember nothing. Then I moved on to a senior Comprehensive where I was told I was too far behind to do any languages and ended up doing French studies, more wasted school time.
Our education system wastes so much, not just time but talent too. We have to make choices and sometimes that means ruling out subjects we want to take because they are in the same box as other subjects we want to take. Then we are taught in such a way as to make even the most fascinating subject boring, like History. History is mind blowingly awesome but for 4 years my teacher (name long forgotten) made it seem terminally boring.

Short answer.......no.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:34 - Dec 11 with 6290 viewsswanjackal

Who speaks Welsh? on 08:54 - Dec 11 by squarebear

The las half of your final sentence rings true for me. I had never needed it growing up (Sgorio was about the only contact I had with the Welsh language at home, and that was always more visual), and went for more useful subjects in school to what interested me. Have had zero interest or desire to learn it since either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:48 - Dec 11 with 6275 viewslifelong

It is not an easy language to learn, I have learned from an online course ‘Say something Welsh’ although not fluent I can get by in most situations.
The problem is, with a minority speaking the language you do not get enough opportunity to speak the language when out and about.
I believe it’s important that people, especially young people, learn the language, it would be a sad day for Wales if it was allowed to die out.
Who speaks Welsh? on 09:54 - Dec 11 with 6264 viewspikeypaul

Total and utter waste of time

I've never needed it in 50 years.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Who speaks Welsh? on 10:00 - Dec 11 with 6251 viewsdickythorpe

Not fluent but I understand a lot and can converse at a basic level.
Who speaks Welsh? on 10:04 - Dec 11 with 6245 viewsGreatBritton

My definition of a true gentleman is someone who can speak Welsh but doesn't
Who speaks Welsh? on 10:07 - Dec 11 with 6243 viewsBrynCartwright

Who speaks Welsh? on 10:00 - Dec 11 by dickythorpe

Same here Dicky. Most of the Welsh speakers on PS will be from, or living in Carmarthenshire like you and Sgorio Fruit. The Bont is mostly English, but across the Loughor in Hendy, where my father is from, Welsh is the main language.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Login to get fewer ads

Who speaks Welsh? on 13:04 - Dec 11 with 6162 viewsAguycalledJack

Non Welsh Speaker.

Married a Welsh Speaker and I'm now living in Carmarthen.

When you live within a community that speaks welsh you realise how important the language is to people. Mrs Jack uses it everyday in work.

We have just had a baby who will be brought up as first language welsh.
Who speaks Welsh? on 14:03 - Dec 11 with 6114 viewsBloodyhills

Learnt it at school for a few years. Can't remember that much. My German is a lot better, did that at uni for a few years.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Who speaks Welsh? on 14:05 - Dec 11 with 6112 viewsBloodyhills

Agree with most of that. My experience was pretty similar though there were a couple of teachers who made an effort to make lessons interesting.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Who speaks Welsh? on 14:06 - Dec 11 with 6112 viewsZaxx

Who speaks Welsh? on 10:00 - Dec 11 by dickythorpe

Very much the same for me.
Who speaks Welsh? on 14:48 - Dec 11 with 6077 viewsLeonWasGod

Who speaks Welsh? on 13:04 - Dec 11 by AguycalledJack

Non Welsh Speaker.

When you live within a community that speaks welsh you realise how important the language is to people. Mrs Jack uses it everyday in work.

Well said and same here (apart from having a baby with your missus ). Both our kids are first language welsh speakers and go to a welsh school. Not that I had any say in it.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 14:49]
Who speaks Welsh? on 15:01 - Dec 11 with 6066 viewsProfessor

Bits and pieces but did French and Latin at 'O' level. Would like to learn and close enough to go to evening classes in Flintshire. Unfortunately time is my enemy right now.
Who speaks Welsh? on 18:50 - Dec 11 with 5984 viewsPentyrchJack

My wife and I speak Welsh and sometimes I even think in Welsh, if you know what I mean.

At some point in the past they used to play Dafydd Iwan's Yma o Hyd over the tannoy at Liberty.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

Who speaks Welsh? on 20:35 - Dec 11 with 5930 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Who speaks Welsh? on 18:50 - Dec 11 by PentyrchJack

My wife and I speak Welsh and sometimes I even think in Welsh, if you know what I mean.

At some point in the past they used to play Dafydd Iwan's Yma o Hyd over the tannoy at Liberty.

What no trampie ??????

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Who speaks Welsh? on 20:46 - Dec 11 with 5918 viewsCooperman

Dim.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Who speaks Welsh? on 20:53 - Dec 11 with 5910 viewsjack2jack

Who speaks Welsh? on 20:46 - Dec 11 by Cooperman

Dim.

You seem quite intelligent to be honest😉
Easy tap in soz👍
Who speaks Welsh? on 20:55 - Dec 11 with 5909 viewsFerrisBuellerJB

Yep fluent have been all my life.
Who speaks Welsh? on 21:38 - Dec 11 with 5863 viewsmajorraglan

Who speaks Welsh? on 13:04 - Dec 11 by AguycalledJack

Non Welsh Speaker.

Spot on, when you live in a Welsh speaking area it is clear how important the language is and how much is spoken. I think it’s great businesses and the public services allow people to conduct their business through the medium of Welsh.

Welsh speaker originally from Port Talbot. When I was younger I didn’t really think a lot about the Welsh language and I tended not to use it as I lived and worked in a predominantly English speaking area, but as I became older (and wiser) I realised how important the language was to me. I have lost some of my confidence, but I now use it when the opportunity presents itself.

I married a non Welsh speaker from Carmarthen way and moved down. I have 2 kids both of whom were educated through the medium of Welsh.

The Dafydd Iwan song “Yma O Hyd” is a real anthem and tells the story of the survival of Wales and the Welsh. The Wikipedia entry explains it well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yma_o_Hyd

[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 21:46]
Who speaks Welsh? on 03:04 - Dec 12 with 5764 viewsphact0rri

I learn it as a kid, and I know the basics still, but haven't used it much in the better part of two decades so I'm not fluent anymore. I keep telling myself I'm going to brush up, but never do.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Who speaks Welsh? on 04:48 - Dec 12 with 5737 viewsJack59

Who speaks Welsh? on 09:54 - Dec 11 by pikeypaul

Total and utter waste of time

I've never needed it in 50 years.

I've got no problem with people wasting their own time, that's up to them,
But I've got a big problem with millions of pounds of public money being spent on the needless expansion of the language. That money should be going into the Welsh NHS, and anyone arguing otherwise should be made to advise patients why funding the language is more important than having a decent quality of life.
I remember the season before last in the Premiership, there were about four or five 30 second adverts coming on the big TV screens during each match. The advert consisted of a blank red screen with the word 'Cymru' in large white letters.
We really must have the most stupid electorate in the world for all this nonsense to go unpunished,
We used to have S4C getting £115 million a year for the pleasure of a few hundred people, absolutely barmy. What an absolute Joke.
The supermarkets have been forced to make public announcements in Welsh before English, and it's all been done without any public pressure or consultation.
What's next? Are we going to have loudspeakers hanging from trees.
No wonder we keep hearing 'Hymns and Arias' and the National Anthem all the time, this is the result of the brainwashing that's going on to make the Welsh public even more compliant to the WAG, as they start to take more and more income tax from us in the coming years.
Who speaks Welsh? on 05:25 - Dec 12 with 5728 viewsKilkennyjack

Who speaks Welsh? on 04:48 - Dec 12 by Jack59

I've got no problem with people wasting their own time, that's up to them,
But I've got a big problem with millions of pounds of public money being spent on the needless expansion of the language. That money should be going into the Welsh NHS, and anyone arguing otherwise should be made to advise patients why funding the language is more important than having a decent quality of life.
I remember the season before last in the Premiership, there were about four or five 30 second adverts coming on the big TV screens during each match. The advert consisted of a blank red screen with the word 'Cymru' in large white letters.
We really must have the most stupid electorate in the world for all this nonsense to go unpunished,
We used to have S4C getting £115 million a year for the pleasure of a few hundred people, absolutely barmy. What an absolute Joke.
The supermarkets have been forced to make public announcements in Welsh before English, and it's all been done without any public pressure or consultation.
What's next? Are we going to have loudspeakers hanging from trees.
No wonder we keep hearing 'Hymns and Arias' and the National Anthem all the time, this is the result of the brainwashing that's going on to make the Welsh public even more compliant to the WAG, as they start to take more and more income tax from us in the coming years.

What a fecking moron.

Most countries in the world use 2 languages. Its fecking normal you thick tw@@t.

I also want big money spent on the Welsh (and English and Scottish) NHS.
You know where it needs to come from ... saying no to Trident, stopping Brexit, stopping Heathrow expansion, stopping HS2 and Crossrail. Prosecuting wealthy people who dont pay their taxes, plus the global companies who avoid paying their taxes.

So you see ....its not a choice between the welsh language and the welsh NHS. Only a really thick tw@@t woukd believe that shite.

In fact the UK govt should be paying significant reparations (look it up).

Beware of the Risen People

Who speaks Welsh? on 08:18 - Dec 12 with 5680 viewsraynor94

Who speaks Welsh? on 05:25 - Dec 12 by Kilkennyjack

What a fecking moron.

Most countries in the world use 2 languages. Its fecking normal you thick tw@@t.

I also want big money spent on the Welsh (and English and Scottish) NHS.
You know where it needs to come from ... saying no to Trident, stopping Brexit, stopping Heathrow expansion, stopping HS2 and Crossrail. Prosecuting wealthy people who dont pay their taxes, plus the global companies who avoid paying their taxes.

So you see ....its not a choice between the welsh language and the welsh NHS. Only a really thick tw@@t woukd believe that shite.

In fact the UK govt should be paying significant reparations (look it up).

Mmmmm, English and Profanities. Impressive

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Who speaks Welsh? on 08:43 - Dec 12 with 5673 viewsbuilthjack

I wasn't brought up as a Welsh speaker, but have picked a lot up over the years. Many places in Mid Wales use Welsh as first language, so it's useful to know it.
A lot of schools have Welsh units, which are full to capacity, so there will be more Welsh speakers in future years.
As others say, most countries speak a few languages. We are probably lazy because English is widely spoken around the world.
Welsh will never go away, thank goodness.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024