Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Dealerships 20:18 - Dec 15 with 8762 viewsDr_Winston

In the market for a first car for me. Any good dealers out there? Any horror stories of places to avoid? All feedback gratefully received.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Car Dealerships on 20:32 - Dec 15 with 6843 viewsoldcob

Go somewhere that offers a decent guarantee, and make sure that by accepting that guarantee you are not forfeiting your consumer rights.
Car Dealerships on 20:38 - Dec 15 with 6820 viewslifelong

Depends on your budget, Motorpoint in Newport is worth a visit for nearly new cars, check our their website.
Car Dealerships on 20:40 - Dec 15 with 6816 viewsDr_Winston

Car Dealerships on 20:38 - Dec 15 by lifelong

Depends on your budget, Motorpoint in Newport is worth a visit for nearly new cars, check our their website.

My budget ain't gonna stretch to nearly new. Probably no more than two grand for a first car.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Car Dealerships on 21:02 - Dec 15 with 6778 viewsdickythorpe

Repo cars
Car Dealerships on 21:05 - Dec 15 with 6772 viewslifelong

Car Dealerships on 20:40 - Dec 15 by Dr_Winston

My budget ain't gonna stretch to nearly new. Probably no more than two grand for a first car.

For that kind of money a dealer wouldn’t give you any warranty, it’s worth a look on Gumtree or even Ebay, you’ve obviously got to be careful but there are good buys about.
Over the years I’ve bought a few cars on both those outlets, the last one was a Mondeo for £1400, it lasted me over 3 years.
Take somebody with you who knows about cars and do the necessary checks, HPI for example.
Car Dealerships on 21:12 - Dec 15 with 6761 viewsMrSwerve

Take a look on Autotrader. Wouldn’t touch places like trade centre Wales - heard bad stories.

It’s a bit of luck though, make sure you get full service history and if you have a mechanic mate, chuck him a few beers and ask him to have a look at the car for you. Especially if you’re looking at cars under 2 grand.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2018 21:14]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Car Dealerships on 21:20 - Dec 15 with 6733 viewsdickythorpe

https://www.repossessions-uk.com
Car Dealerships on 21:31 - Dec 15 with 6712 viewsDr_Winston

Car Dealerships on 21:20 - Dec 15 by dickythorpe

https://www.repossessions-uk.com

The auctions have been suggested.

Login to get fewer ads

Car Dealerships on 22:18 - Dec 15 with 6645 viewsPacemaker

Car Dealerships on 21:31 - Dec 15 by Dr_Winston

Buying someone else’s problems at auctions at that price point.

You are going to have to find an older car with service history and has obviously been loved.

I sold my fathers car last year after he had to give up driving. It was 2001 Corsa but immaculate with Fsh and relatively low mileage and went for under a grand as it was sold to a young friend and is still going strong despite her best efforts to wreck it. The best way is to ask around in work or with family neighbours etc. Nobody who knows you wants to sell you a lemon, however at that price anything could happen.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Car Dealerships on 22:42 - Dec 15 with 6616 viewsTim_Harry

I'd up your budget.

I get the idea on here that you earn a decent wage. Anything under two grand is a rip off paradise. A marketplace for conmen.

I can't believe you'd not be in the market for anything under five grand myself.
Car Dealerships on 22:45 - Dec 15 with 6611 viewsbuilthjack

Kingsland Car Auctions, Leominster.
The big dealerships take trade ins straight to auction. Get one low mileage, fully serviced, with new mot.
Mate bought a 10 plate Clio with all the above for just over a grand a few weeks ago.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Car Dealerships on 22:56 - Dec 15 with 6599 viewssherpajacob

I'll be contrarian and suggest best value is a high mileage ex company car.

If it's high mileage, likelihood is most of the miles were accumulated on motorways in 5th or 6th gear, and it would have been regularly serviced by a main dealer.

You'll probably be able to pick up a,decent make as well. Skoda octavia ticks a lot of boxes.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Car Dealerships on 22:59 - Dec 15 with 6594 viewssplJack

Stay away from dealerships and look on Gumtree mate. As mentioned already, make sure you take someone with you who knows a bit about cars to any viewings.
Car Dealerships on 23:01 - Dec 15 with 6586 viewsDr_Winston

Car Dealerships on 22:42 - Dec 15 by Tim_Harry

I'd up your budget.

I get the idea on here that you earn a decent wage. Anything under two grand is a rip off paradise. A marketplace for conmen.

I can't believe you'd not be in the market for anything under five grand myself.

Cars around five grand would cost me as much per month as my mortgage. Not overly keen on that.

It's a first car. Something I can crash with impunity. The less I pay the better.

Car Dealerships on 01:53 - Dec 16 with 6500 viewsDJack

Car Dealerships on 23:01 - Dec 15 by Dr_Winston

Cars around five grand would cost me as much per month as my mortgage. Not overly keen on that.

It's a first car. Something I can crash with impunity. The less I pay the better.

So your driving sense is as bad as your political sense...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Car Dealerships on 08:21 - Dec 16 with 6427 viewsWarwickHunt

Car Dealerships on 23:01 - Dec 15 by Dr_Winston

Look around privately for an old Saab or Volvo with full service history - you’d be amazed what you could pick up for 2k. Built to last, reliable and as safe as it gets. Take a mechanic with you if you know a tame one.
Car Dealerships on 09:36 - Dec 16 with 6349 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Car Dealerships on 08:21 - Dec 16 by WarwickHunt

Look around privately for an old Saab or Volvo with full service history - you’d be amazed what you could pick up for 2k. Built to last, reliable and as safe as it gets. Take a mechanic with you if you know a tame one.

Do your research there's a few websites on line that will tell you the potential weak points to help you look for something.

Include in your budget costs for a decent service after you buy.

Be patient you may need to look at quite a few to find a good one, but something like an older Volvo with low mileage and a complete history is not a bad bet.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Car Dealerships on 10:16 - Dec 16 with 6317 viewsLord_Bony

Car Dealerships on 21:31 - Dec 15 by Dr_Winston

Recently bought a Chrysler Crossfire 2 seater at auction just to have a punt and make a quick buck. New mot,71k and perfect condition,nothing wrong with it whatsoever . Cost me £1650 with fees.

Could easily make a grand profit after selling it on but I like it so much I’m using it as a backup runaround atm.

I ve bought five cars at auction in Newport the last couple of years,only one was a dog.

Buy repossessed with log book and mot,avoid main dealer part exchanges and you could end up with a lot more motor for your money.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Car Dealerships on 12:20 - Dec 16 with 6214 viewsmajorraglan

You need to be careful at this price point. Lots of franchised dealers who take cars in part exchange that they can’t sell because they are too old will move them straight on to a trader who will sell them for a small profit to a another garage or through auction if they aren’t good. I have bought a couple of cars through auction and both were dogs.
Quite often, people selling cars at this point are moving them on because they are starting to have a bit of trouble with them, especially if they are trading them in. Look on e Bay and gumtree, if you have someone who knows a bit about cars take them with to look at it, a lot of people who sell cars privately won’t want hassle so won’t sell a dog.
Be mindful though that buying an older car means it could need a big service. My son recently bought his first car, it’s 8 years old, 39k miles, and was in very good condition. It cost just over £2k. It needed new brakes and even though the mileage is low and the timing belt didn’t need changing for another year, I decided to get it all sorted. That was £550 so maintenance can add up.

Guy in work with me buys and sells cars on the side, always buys privately.
Car Dealerships on 12:37 - Dec 16 with 6207 viewsWarwickHunt

Car Dealerships on 09:36 - Dec 16 by JACKMANANDBOY

Do your research there's a few websites on line that will tell you the potential weak points to help you look for something.

Include in your budget costs for a decent service after you buy.

Be patient you may need to look at quite a few to find a good one, but something like an older Volvo with low mileage and a complete history is not a bad bet.

I wouldn’t worry too much about a Saab or Volvo having low mileage, they go on forever.
Car Dealerships on 13:01 - Dec 16 with 6182 viewsmajorraglan

Car Dealerships on 12:37 - Dec 16 by WarwickHunt

I wouldn’t worry too much about a Saab or Volvo having low mileage, they go on forever.

Saab’s and Volvos are solid, but parts can be pricey. My old Volvo needed an alternator, it was an eye watering £400 notes from a motor factors who were cheaper than the dealer
Car Dealerships on 13:03 - Dec 16 with 6181 viewsdickythorpe

Do Toyota 's still hold their value well?
Car Dealerships on 16:06 - Dec 16 with 6081 viewsBloodyhills

Gumtree's worth a punt. Bought a 2003 Agila 6 years ago for a grand and it's still going OK, though will look to buy a newer one next year.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Car Dealerships on 16:21 - Dec 16 with 6064 viewsGaryjack

Have you tried Kevin 'JBG' off here? I've got his number if you want it?
Car Dealerships on 17:39 - Dec 16 with 6033 viewsDr_Winston

Car Dealerships on 16:21 - Dec 16 by Garyjack

Have you tried Kevin 'JBG' off here? I've got his number if you want it?

What's his company called? I've probably looked at them online.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024