Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Eve 14:12 - Dec 16 with 4161 viewsjack_lord

Why can't a lot of businesses let staff have a life at Christmas and close. I have seen places shutting later and later recently, less time with the family. The EU has to take the blame for this.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Christmas Eve on 14:14 - Dec 16 with 2206 viewsexiledclaseboy

When I worked in retail (Tesco) the stores used to shut at 4pm on Christmas Eve. These days they’re open till 7pm or later then back open as early as possible on Boxing Day.

Poll: Tory leader

Christmas Eve on 14:17 - Dec 16 with 2192 viewsrockinjk

The EU?

You’re on a wind up, please tell me you’re on a wind up

I’ve no issue with working Christmas Eve, I will be. I just don’t see the business case personally people will be naturally unproductive
Christmas Eve on 14:18 - Dec 16 with 2190 viewsunion_jack

Christmas Eve on 14:14 - Dec 16 by exiledclaseboy

When I worked in retail (Tesco) the stores used to shut at 4pm on Christmas Eve. These days they’re open till 7pm or later then back open as early as possible on Boxing Day.

It may come as a surprise, but it's down to money.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Christmas Eve on 14:18 - Dec 16 with 2185 viewsmagicdaps10

Personally, I would close all shops on a Sunday for starters.

Over xmas, close them all, xmas eve, xmas day and boxing day.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Christmas Eve on 14:20 - Dec 16 with 2179 viewstrinityann

Shops should shut every Sunday as well. Surely 6 out 7 days is enough to get your shopping done. I will put same money back into economy whether Sunday opens or not.
Christmas Eve on 14:22 - Dec 16 with 2172 viewsrockinjk

It’s a symptom of our move towards a secular consumer society

When Christianity was more important Sunday trading didn’t exist etc

Nihilism has led to this path, it’s a choice we’ve made and it’s compounding year on year

I’m always sceptical of e.g liberalising betting because of what we’re seeing now on TV all the time

Small ‘c’ conservatism has been trumped by a consumer society obsessed with dopamine hits
[Post edited 16 Dec 2018 14:24]
Christmas Eve on 14:23 - Dec 16 with 2170 viewsunion_jack

Christmas Eve on 14:18 - Dec 16 by magicdaps10

The problem with that is you'd have nowhere to buy batteries for your toy that auntie Rita forgot to put in😄

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Christmas Eve on 14:37 - Dec 16 with 2135 viewsbluey_the_blue

I suspect a fair number of those wanting shops to close early Christmas Eve would be the same ones moaning shops weren't open on Christmas Eve when they want to do some last minute shopping.
Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Eve on 14:40 - Dec 16 with 2117 viewsmagicdaps10

Reading through, patience has a big play here.

Be content, if you need something and the shops are closed....relax!

Trouble is, people want everything and they want it now and if they cant then it is the end of the world.

Christmas Eve on 14:46 - Dec 16 with 2107 viewsjack_lord

Christmas Eve on 14:17 - Dec 16 by rockinjk

The EU?

You’re on a wind up, please tell me you’re on a wind up

I’ve no issue with working Christmas Eve, I will be. I just don’t see the business case personally people will be naturally unproductive

People seem to blame the EU for everything so I thought I'd join in. A girl said to me last week that the Queen can do her job properly now we are leaving the EU!

A lot of people just want to get home to their families or friends on Christmas Eve.

I remember in my 20's panicking running through the Quadrant trying to get last minute present as I knew they'd be shut by 1pm. Present bought meet mates and out on the Kingsway.
In my 30's it was get home after work and down the White Rose.

Since the family it has been a battle with finishing and now getting home later and later each year.

Christmas Eve on 14:49 - Dec 16 with 2097 viewsbluey_the_blue

Christmas Eve on 14:20 - Dec 16 by trinityann

Shops should shut every Sunday as well. Surely 6 out 7 days is enough to get your shopping done. I will put same money back into economy whether Sunday opens or not.

A lot of people work hence lose 5 out of those 6 days... I'd personally favour shops opening 24/7.
Christmas Eve on 14:54 - Dec 16 with 2079 viewsexiledclaseboy

Christmas Eve on 14:49 - Dec 16 by bluey_the_blue

A lot of people work hence lose 5 out of those 6 days... I'd personally favour shops opening 24/7.

Many of the larger supermarkets already are.

Poll: Tory leader

Christmas Eve on 14:54 - Dec 16 with 2076 viewsrockinjk

Christmas Eve on 14:46 - Dec 16 by jack_lord

People seem to blame the EU for everything so I thought I'd join in. A girl said to me last week that the Queen can do her job properly now we are leaving the EU!

A lot of people just want to get home to their families or friends on Christmas Eve.

I remember in my 20's panicking running through the Quadrant trying to get last minute present as I knew they'd be shut by 1pm. Present bought meet mates and out on the Kingsway.
In my 30's it was get home after work and down the White Rose.

Since the family it has been a battle with finishing and now getting home later and later each year.

I don’t doubt it, the pollution that has been put into peoples minds is incredible

If we could ban the sun, Mail, express et al as an experiment for year you watch the IQ of the Nation rise

Turkeys voting for Christmas
Christmas Eve on 14:57 - Dec 16 with 2064 viewsjack_lord

Christmas Eve on 14:49 - Dec 16 by bluey_the_blue

24/7 is starting to lose its flavour as businesses aren't making enough money to justify it.

I cover a certain amount of weekends and I hate it. I hate working Sundays moe than a Saturday. Most of the staff hate working weekends but obviously there is some necessity for opening.

Out of interest, do you work weekends or bank holidays as I wonder how judgement is affected by people's own working patterns?

Christmas Eve on 15:48 - Dec 16 with 1979 viewsmajorraglan

Christmas Eve on 14:18 - Dec 16 by magicdaps10

I would also close all shops on a Sunday, it’s something that they do in many European countries and I think it works well. Have holidayed in Germany, France and the Netherlands and it’s great to see families and couples enjoying leisure time together on Sundays. I would also close shops around 1pm on Christmas Eve and then shut them on Christmas and Boxing Day. People have enough time in the build up to sort everything out and they can wait a day or 2 for the sales. Starting the sales on Boxing Day means someone has to work late on Christmas Eve, or early on Boxing Day to get everything ready- less family time.
Christmas Eve on 16:08 - Dec 16 with 1946 viewsbluey_the_blue

Christmas Eve on 14:57 - Dec 16 by jack_lord

24/7 is starting to lose its flavour as businesses aren't making enough money to justify it.

I cover a certain amount of weekends and I hate it. I hate working Sundays moe than a Saturday. Most of the staff hate working weekends but obviously there is some necessity for opening.

Out of interest, do you work weekends or bank holidays as I wonder how judgement is affected by people's own working patterns?

I'm bound to a fair degree by the working days clients want tbh; Bank Holidays are a major pain as it means my company can't provide the required service as client sites shut, means can't bill so I just view those days as lost income.
Christmas Eve on 16:23 - Dec 16 with 1921 viewsPegojack

Christmas Eve on 14:54 - Dec 16 by rockinjk

I don’t doubt it, the pollution that has been put into peoples minds is incredible

If we could ban the sun, Mail, express et al as an experiment for year you watch the IQ of the Nation rise

Turkeys voting for Christmas

No, it's Angela Merkel's fault, mun, along with herpes, shrinking chocolate bars and the Swans being relegated.

FFS.
Christmas Eve on 16:43 - Dec 16 with 1891 viewsmagicdaps10

Christmas Eve on 16:08 - Dec 16 by bluey_the_blue

I'm bound to a fair degree by the working days clients want tbh; Bank Holidays are a major pain as it means my company can't provide the required service as client sites shut, means can't bill so I just view those days as lost income.

For me.

Family is more important than income.

Christmas Eve on 17:13 - Dec 16 with 1844 viewsdickythorpe

In an ideal world we'd all have loads of time off on top of our annual leave, but the way life and business is means it is impossible.
I had to work this weekend so I was glad that when I finished I could go to a local shop and buy a few things.
However much some grumble about working weekends and public holidays you'll always find employees who are happy to work them as it suits them.
Supermarkets opening 24/7 didn't just happen there was an obvious demand for it.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2018 17:15]
Christmas Eve on 17:14 - Dec 16 with 1840 viewshobo

If it wasn't for the EU we'd probably be open all day xmas eve , and Sunday type hours on Xmas Day
Christmas Eve on 17:16 - Dec 16 with 1835 viewsdickythorpe

Christmas Eve on 17:14 - Dec 16 by hobo

If it wasn't for the EU we'd probably be open all day xmas eve , and Sunday type hours on Xmas Day

Maybe there should be a vote someday to change all that hobo........
[Post edited 16 Dec 2018 17:18]
Christmas Eve on 17:23 - Dec 16 with 1820 viewsjack_lord

Christmas Eve on 15:48 - Dec 16 by majorraglan

I would also close all shops on a Sunday, it’s something that they do in many European countries and I think it works well. Have holidayed in Germany, France and the Netherlands and it’s great to see families and couples enjoying leisure time together on Sundays. I would also close shops around 1pm on Christmas Eve and then shut them on Christmas and Boxing Day. People have enough time in the build up to sort everything out and they can wait a day or 2 for the sales. Starting the sales on Boxing Day means someone has to work late on Christmas Eve, or early on Boxing Day to get everything ready- less family time.

People are saying that society is broken but don't question why.
Whether religious or not, I believe people need to spend more quality time at home with friends or family.

Christmas Eve on 18:06 - Dec 16 with 1775 viewsHighjack

Christmas Eve on 16:23 - Dec 16 by Pegojack

No, it's Angela Merkel's fault, mun, along with herpes, shrinking chocolate bars and the Swans being relegated.

FFS.

Merkel told me she’d been given the all clear. That’s the last time I get drunk at a Bavarian barn dance. If you can’t trust a German chancellor then who can you trust?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Christmas Eve on 18:44 - Dec 16 with 1710 viewsPegojack

Christmas Eve on 18:06 - Dec 16 by Highjack

Merkel told me she’d been given the all clear. That’s the last time I get drunk at a Bavarian barn dance. If you can’t trust a German chancellor then who can you trust?

Exactly. See what she did to Toblerone?
Christmas Eve on 19:21 - Dec 16 with 1644 viewsMuteswan

Christmas Eve on 15:48 - Dec 16 by majorraglan

Why not include pubs and clubs? Also public services, leisure facilities,stop buses and taxis, maybe no one should work on Weekends . Public holidays should be just that. We’d all really enjoy our time off then. Seriously , I’d be able to spend time with my family if this was so.Sadly it would never work. It is what it is. Utopia isn’t achievable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024