Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charities and Asylum Seekers 17:57 - Dec 19 with 1442 viewsjohnlangy

Over the last twenty years the Heritage Lottery fund has put more (£1.9 billion) into just three London boroughs than in the whole of Wales (£1.4 billion). That works out at £4,500 per head in those three boroughs compared with £460 per head in Wales.

They asked some spokesperson why and I thought, here we go, maybe there'll be a reasonable explanation. The person said that one of the reasons is that many charities are London based as are many National Institutions.

So, they're saying the reason is that we've already invested enormous amounts of money in London so that means we have to spend even more. That's London, the richest region in Europe compared with Wales, the poorest.

Asylum seekers - for the last however many years there's been a policy to spread asylum seekers round the country, for the whole of the UK to take the strain of absorbing them into their communities.

But there's been a few problems. Firstly 300 councils refused to take any. Secondly, the government gave the contract for organising this to a private company and said £x is the amount you can spend in doing it.

The trouble is that, when this company was looking for accommodation for the asylum seekers they found that they, unsurprisingly, couldn't afford to buy many properties in London and the South East (in fact the whole of Southern England including the West Country, the South East, London and East Anglia).

So they end up buying properties in areas where property prices are lower. And, surprise, surprise one of those places is Swansea. So, the result is that London and the South East (population 8.5 million) has taken in just 481 asylum seekers whereas Swansea (population 250,000) has taken in more. They didn't quote how many. Lots of Northern England places are affected the same way.

We know that the Government is going to screw Wales because they've been doing it for decades. But now even charities are doing it.
Charities and Asylum Seekers on 20:21 - Dec 19 with 1397 viewsLeonWasGod

Interesting juxtaposition. For the charities, could it not be that their HQs are actually in London? I imagine there are many more there, that seems a reasonable explanation. Is that lottery funding then actually spent in London, or does it go on projects run by those charities elsewhere in the UK? If it is spent in London, what’s the relative need like compared to here?

Don’t know the answer, but is that the whole story?
Charities and Asylum Seekers on 21:11 - Dec 19 with 1362 viewslondonlisa2001

Couple of points in answer to OP.

One, you say:

‘ one of the reasons is that many charities are London based as are many National Institutions.

So, they're saying the reason is that we've already invested enormous amounts of money in London so that means we have to spend even more.’

No - they’re saying that money given to a national charity which is London based is recorded as being given to London, even though the money is actually nationally distributed.

Two, you say “London, the richest region in Europe compared with Wales, the poorest.’

London has greater poverty than Wales. The Joseph Rowntree Foundation, who measure poverty by region state:

“Wales has consistently had the highest poverty, only slightly lower than that of London and similar to the North East of England. Scotland has generally had the lowest poverty over the last 10 years but has seen a slightly different pattern to the rest of the UK.

You also state that London has only 482 asylum seekers. Again, not true.

There are approximately 49,500 asylum seekers in the UK (per refugee Council) and London has approximately 5,152 (per London Councils report). That’s 10.4% of the UK total, and London has a population of 8.7m of a total UK population of 66.5m, which is 13% of total. So less than it should have. Probably because the strain on council or other assisted housing in London is more severe than anywhere else due to stupid house prices.

The general thrust of your post, about government treating Wales badly, I completely agree with. The thing people sometimes don’t realise is that the concentration on London doesn’t only make it bad for everywhere else, it also makes it bad for London. The same thing is being replicated in Wales itself by the WG, which is also a poor state of affairs.
Charities and Asylum Seekers on 22:43 - Dec 19 with 1316 viewsDarran

We were in Liverpool at the weekend and were genuinely shocked at the amount of homeless people on the streets plus the amount of people collecting for different charities.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Charities and Asylum Seekers on 00:19 - Dec 20 with 1268 viewsLoyal

I cannot believe this country in 2018 allows its own citizens to die on their countries streets due to homelessness.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Charities and Asylum Seekers on 09:30 - Dec 20 with 1217 viewsjohnlangy

Charities and Asylum Seekers on 20:21 - Dec 19 by LeonWasGod

Interesting juxtaposition. For the charities, could it not be that their HQs are actually in London? I imagine there are many more there, that seems a reasonable explanation. Is that lottery funding then actually spent in London, or does it go on projects run by those charities elsewhere in the UK? If it is spent in London, what’s the relative need like compared to here?

Don’t know the answer, but is that the whole story?

I'm sure there is more to it Leon.

Yes the charity HQ's are London based (many are). And yes, the point is that the lottery funding of £1.9 billion was spent in the three London boroughs compared with £1.4 billion in the whole of Wales (10 times as much per head). These things are never simple but that simple fact has to mean an incredible bias, almost certainly to other areas of the UK as well. As is the situation with all forms of investment/spend.

You could understand an imbalance in a particular year or 2 or 3 years when a big spend happens (say in London) and then the balance to swing the other way when a big spend happens somewhere else (say Wales). But, when the imbalance happens over a twenty year period then it has to be wrong

I don't know about the relative need but that need can't ALWAYS be in the one place. I've deleted the programme that mentioned the three boroughs but one was 'something and Kensington'. I automatically think of that particular one as being a wealthy place. Maybe i'm wrong.

If I see the detail elsewhere i'll repost.
Charities and Asylum Seekers on 05:42 - Dec 22 with 1117 viewsKilkennyjack

Charities and Asylum Seekers on 00:19 - Dec 20 by Loyal

I cannot believe this country in 2018 allows its own citizens to die on their countries streets due to homelessness.

Imagine all the money and efforts spent on Brexit, instead being targeted on homelessness.

Fixed in 6 months.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024