Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sciatica 15:22 - Dec 27 with 7012 viewsEbo

Anyone else suffer from it?

I've had a flare up over christmas, I can't stand up for long as the back of my left calf aches like hell and stiffens my lower back. I've had flare ups in my lower back in the past and that was hell, this is more manageable but soon as I put weight on it like walking or standing, it flares up.

Tried booking a Dr's appointment for this afternoon without success as the phone line was jammed and when I did get through was told to ring at 4pm today for an appt tomorrow. If I can't get an appt tomorrow I've had it.

Anyone recommend a good Osteopath?

I'm ok driving, just the walking/standing is hard work.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Sciatica on 15:51 - Dec 27 with 6978 viewsOptimisticJack

If it's been continuous my advice is to see your GP asap and insist on a referral with a view to having a scan. This is the only way to establish an exact diagnosis.
I suffered continuous severe sciatica from nine months ago. I've seen a chiropractor, osteopath and finally a sports massage who pummeled my spine with a machine.
Scan revealed a fracture to base of pelvis from a heavy fall 3 years ago. The fracture developed a cyst which in turn trapped the sciatic nerve.
Osteopaths etc can be very effective in some cases and dangerous in cases such as mine.
No doubt each case can be different.
In the short term you may find lying on your back with your legs crossed may give some pain relief.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 16:10]

Optimisticjack

Sciatica on 16:08 - Dec 27 with 6947 viewsEbo

Sciatica on 15:51 - Dec 27 by OptimisticJack

If it's been continuous my advice is to see your GP asap and insist on a referral with a view to having a scan. This is the only way to establish an exact diagnosis.
I suffered continuous severe sciatica from nine months ago. I've seen a chiropractor, osteopath and finally a sports massage who pummeled my spine with a machine.
Scan revealed a fracture to base of pelvis from a heavy fall 3 years ago. The fracture developed a cyst which in turn trapped the sciatic nerve.
Osteopaths etc can be very effective in some cases and dangerous in cases such as mine.
No doubt each case can be different.
In the short term you may find lying on your back with your legs crossed may give some pain relief.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 16:10]

Cheers mate.

Just got through to Dr's and it's emergency's only until Jan 2nd. I am not an emergency case and don't want to take up the space of a real emergency so I will self medicate until then I guess and rest.

I don't recall having a heavy fall ever, a few bumps playing football years ago. I think it's to do with my posture as I worked shifts for nearly 20 years and the last 10 have been sitting down in a office.

Sciatica on 16:12 - Dec 27 with 6943 viewsOptimisticJack

Sciatica on 16:08 - Dec 27 by Ebo

Cheers mate.

Just got through to Dr's and it's emergency's only until Jan 2nd. I am not an emergency case and don't want to take up the space of a real emergency so I will self medicate until then I guess and rest.

I don't recall having a heavy fall ever, a few bumps playing football years ago. I think it's to do with my posture as I worked shifts for nearly 20 years and the last 10 have been sitting down in a office.

If you want some advice on osteopaths,medication I was prescribed etc feel free to ring me on 079720805

This post has been edited by an administrator

Optimisticjack

Sciatica on 16:15 - Dec 27 with 6935 viewsEbo

Sciatica on 16:12 - Dec 27 by OptimisticJack

If you want some advice on osteopaths,medication I was prescribed etc feel free to ring me on 079720805

This post has been edited by an administrator

Cheers pal, if I get stuck I will. Was the sports physio you went to on Castle Street?

Sciatica on 16:20 - Dec 27 with 6932 viewsOptimisticJack

Sciatica on 16:15 - Dec 27 by Ebo

Cheers pal, if I get stuck I will. Was the sports physio you went to on Castle Street?

No, but as I said his treatment in my case was potentially dangerous. He was recommended to me by a mate and his treatment was very effective for him.
The Well Being clinic at Swansea University I found to be quite good.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 16:45]

Optimisticjack

Sciatica on 20:03 - Dec 27 with 6804 viewsjack2jack

I sympathize, had a bout of it 10 years ago, not nice.
A mate of mine in work gave me some stretching exercises which seemed to work.
I won't expand, as it may not be what you need, as has been said, get a diagnosis from the doctors.
Good luck with getting it sorted👍
Sciatica on 21:29 - Dec 27 with 6763 viewsbuilthjack

We went to the lake district about 7 or 8 years ago for 3 nights. Supposed to do lots of walking etc. On the first morning I woke up with sciatica - I didn't know what it was until I got to brekky and spoke to a doc who was sat near us. It lasted the three days, then just went away. Havent had it since. Bloody odd.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Sciatica on 21:37 - Dec 27 with 6757 viewssmoulder

Try lying on your stomach then raise yourself up like you are doing a press up....but keep your pelvis and legs flat on the floor , just use your arms to lift the top half of your body off the floor and turn your neck back to look at the ceiling just do as many as sets as you can....after a few days of doing this I started to feel a massive improvement.....hope this helps ya .
Login to get fewer ads

Sciatica on 21:52 - Dec 27 with 6748 viewsOptimisticJack

A tip I've also been given (but it didn't work for me with my injury) is to take very extended steps.

Optimisticjack

Sciatica on 21:55 - Dec 27 with 6744 viewsOptimisticJack

Sciatica on 21:29 - Dec 27 by builthjack

We went to the lake district about 7 or 8 years ago for 3 nights. Supposed to do lots of walking etc. On the first morning I woke up with sciatica - I didn't know what it was until I got to brekky and spoke to a doc who was sat near us. It lasted the three days, then just went away. Havent had it since. Bloody odd.

The long drive may have brought it on.

Optimisticjack

Sciatica on 22:35 - Dec 27 with 6702 viewsDJack

Give these a go in the interim...

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/exercises-for-sciatica/

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Sciatica on 22:39 - Dec 27 with 6698 viewsbazzool

I feel for you, honestly, I've had a bad back for years, if you look back at my previous posts you will see, I suffered sciatica back in the summer and I've had all sorts of pain over the years but this was terrible, I slept downstairs for a week on the living room floor, could hardly sleep, and could never get comfy, stuff the tablets I was on tramadol as well as nuproxen 500mg and they wouldn't touch the pain, then my bro in law gave me morphine tablets from his mum, I only took 1 in the morning and 1 in the night and that evening the nightmares I had were hurrendous lol, so the doc gave me some other tablet to help with sleep , can't remember what now, but I will say that my left foot has never recovered properly, I've been going to gym for about a month now and after about 40mins on the treadmill it starts to drag, anyway the cause for my sciatica was a 7 hour car ride bk home to baglan after work, poxy cumbria
Sciatica on 23:08 - Dec 27 with 6680 viewsbuilthjack

Sciatica on 21:55 - Dec 27 by OptimisticJack

The long drive may have brought it on.

Possibly. But I have done longer journeys since of about 600 miles and had no problems.
I wouldnt want that pain too often.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Sciatica on 06:32 - Dec 28 with 6606 viewsdickythorpe

Is that therapist in Dunvant still going? Excellent reports.
Sciatica on 07:45 - Dec 28 with 6586 viewsOptimisticJack

Sciatica on 06:32 - Dec 28 by dickythorpe

Is that therapist in Dunvant still going? Excellent reports.

If you're talking about the one on Dunvant Road -John Whitaker I've heard mixed reports.
I live nearby but chosen not to use him.

Optimisticjack

Sciatica on 22:30 - Dec 28 with 6502 viewsNogginthenog

I had a bout of sciatica many years ago and it returned with a vengeance in October this year. Unusually, i had sciatic pain in both legs and the pain was very intense, prevented me functioning properly. i was eventually admitted to hospital as an emergency and had to have an operation called a laminectomy and decompression.. Scan revealed had Cauda Equina syndrome where the prolapsed disc was pressing on the spinal cord. The operation was successful and after 4 weeks of physio I am pain free. Previous posts on this are correct in that you need a scan to reveal the underlying cause.

There are also many exercises that can help on Youtube..

I sincerely hope that your condition will be resolved without the need for surgery.
Sciatica on 16:54 - Dec 29 with 6414 viewsEbo

Thanks for all your advice people, much appreciated. Unfortunately, my GP is emergency only until Jan 2nd and I don't class myself as an emergency and don't want to take a slot over someone that really needs it.

Good news though as it has eased quite a bit over the last 3 days. A combination of rest and stretches is seemingly doing the trick. I had a shower this morning without hopping about on one foot (that was always a trigger) and managed to do some housework without my back stiffening up.

I think christmas came at a good time as it allowed me to rest.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2018 16:54]

Sciatica on 16:56 - Dec 29 with 6412 viewsEbo

Sciatica on 21:52 - Dec 27 by OptimisticJack

A tip I've also been given (but it didn't work for me with my injury) is to take very extended steps.

Like this?

Sciatica on 18:49 - Dec 29 with 6383 viewsOptimisticJack

Sciatica on 16:56 - Dec 29 by Ebo

Like this?

Absolutely brilliant.
Believe it or not that's about it.

Optimisticjack

Sciatica on 19:04 - Dec 29 with 6375 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Sciatica on 16:08 - Dec 27 by Ebo

Cheers mate.

Do some swimming whenever you can ebbs. Hopefully weightless exercise will tease that naughty lil nerve away from your discs. I've had it and it's a right pain in the arse

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Sciatica on 19:28 - Dec 29 with 6365 viewsEbo

Sciatica on 19:04 - Dec 29 by Brynmill_Jack

Do some swimming whenever you can ebbs. Hopefully weightless exercise will tease that naughty lil nerve away from your discs. I've had it and it's a right pain in the arse

My arse is ok

Yeah swimming might be a good shout!

Sciatica on 13:37 - Jan 14 with 6211 viewsEbo

It's got better thanks to this https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/product/simplycbd-green-10ml-30ml/

Ditched painkillers and now instead take some of this once a day

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024