Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... 23:15 - Dec 28 with 1449 viewsBrynCartwright

...and I will start with..

The King Hotel, Pontarddulais ( soon to be knocked down and converted into a Co-op)

and

The Bird in Hand, Fforest.

..both shut in the last 18 months.

Will miss them both as social bastions of the local community.

Any others out there?

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 23:18 - Dec 28 with 1219 viewsLoyal

Linden Tree west cross has pretty decent, that's gone now, and of course the Garibaldi. Much was loved but hardly lost on a matchday at that pub.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 23:23 - Dec 28 with 1213 viewsItchySphincter

Just saw today that the King was boarded up. Didn’t realise The Bird in Hand was shut either.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 23:25 - Dec 28 with 1206 viewsYossarian

The Found Out in Dunvant...now Coastal Housing flats.
The Greyhound, Llanrhidian.....housing development apparently
The Welcome to Gower (formerly The Welsh Harp) Gowerton...now nothing
The Berthlwyd between Gowerton and Pen-clawdd once a Chinese Restaurant now the Rake and Riddle
The Railway Inn In Pen-clawdd....the self proclaimed ‘Heart of the Village’ is also locked up and currently nothing.
The Bird in Hand in Fforest was a lovely little pub....

Shame....but that’s apparently what happens when pubs get tied to multi-National concerns who force them to sell bland pisswater and charge ludicrous rents for the privilege.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 08:27 - Dec 29 with 1084 viewsSwanjaxs

Champers

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 08:34 - Dec 29 with 1075 viewsangryjack

Cadke mill. Penplas Raven and Fowler all my old watering holes
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 08:36 - Dec 29 with 1075 viewsangryjack

Cadle mill penplas Raven and the Fowler all my old watering holes gone
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 09:26 - Dec 29 with 1020 viewstaffpunk

The Rhondda is the same. The Griffin in Pentre was knocked down for flats recently, The Railway Canteen in Treherbert is on it's last legs. I still go out a fair bit, I was in my local yesterday and though there was a good crowd in there, there were very few people under 40. Younger people are not going out like other generations have in the past.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 09:42 - Dec 29 with 998 viewsdickythorpe

Carmarthen lost the Tanners and the Butchers due a a cinema and shopping centre development that had to happen but they haven't been replaced and traffic is chaotic at peak, busy times.
The Angel Vaults became a renamed cocktail bar. The Ceffyl Du is closed.

I spoke to the owners of a pub in Pembrey and they say youngsters today don't meet in pubs anymore. Instead they text from their homes instead of meeting up.
Plus many are more health conscious, many can't recover like they did in their youth after a session but work/life balance and finding family time is very thin these days.
Login to get fewer ads

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 09:59 - Dec 29 with 978 viewsJackfath

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 09:42 - Dec 29 by dickythorpe

Carmarthen lost the Tanners and the Butchers due a a cinema and shopping centre development that had to happen but they haven't been replaced and traffic is chaotic at peak, busy times.

I spoke to the owners of a pub in Pembrey and they say youngsters today don't meet in pubs anymore. Instead they text from their homes instead of meeting up.
Plus many are more health conscious, many can't recover like they did in their youth after a session but work/life balance and finding family time is very thin these days.

There's also the cost implications of going to the pub with ones chums. It's not cheap, and for many can't be justified.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 10:09 - Dec 29 with 968 viewsmonmouth

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 09:59 - Dec 29 by Jackfath

There's also the cost implications of going to the pub with ones chums. It's not cheap, and for many can't be justified.

True Fath. It’s no longer 5 pints, a bag of chips and bus home for a quid. A round now, particularly if you have people on poncy G&T, cocktails or wine, would be eye watering.

In any case the dull buggers would be transfixed by their stupid phones texting people not there or posting crappy selfies on Facebook, rather than actually talking.

Some things have definitely changed for the worse.

Luckily Monmouthshire still lives in 1973.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 10:40 - Dec 29 with 923 viewsAguycalledJack

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 23:25 - Dec 28 by Yossarian

The Berthlwyd between Gowerton and Pen-clawdd once a Chinese Restaurant now the Rake and Riddle
The Railway Inn In Pen-clawdd....the self proclaimed ‘Heart of the Village’ is also locked up and currently nothing.

Shame....but that’s apparently what happens when pubs get tied to multi-National concerns who force them to sell bland pisswater and charge ludicrous rents for the privilege.

The Bethlwyd is now the Rake and Riddle.
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 10:43 - Dec 29 with 919 viewsAguycalledJack

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 09:59 - Dec 29 by Jackfath

The younger ones in work with me drink in the house until about 11ish and then head out on the town. They reckon that doing it that aay they save about 50-60 quid.
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 12:26 - Dec 29 with 848 viewscontroversial_jack

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 10:43 - Dec 29 by AguycalledJack

The younger ones in work with me drink in the house until about 11ish and then head out on the town. They reckon that doing it that aay they save about 50-60 quid.

Most pubs serve crap mass produced beer and charge a fortune for it
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 12:31 - Dec 29 with 840 viewsGreatBritton

Not mention of pubs in town so far. The Cricketers is gone. Great pub once upon a time.
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 12:33 - Dec 29 with 836 viewsdickythorpe

The Tug and Turbot in the Marina was lovely. Such a shame it went. Now a hair salon I think.
Plus H2O when it first opened was lively. It became a gay club but then closed.
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 12:56 - Dec 29 with 798 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 12:31 - Dec 29 by GreatBritton

Not mention of pubs in town so far. The Cricketers is gone. Great pub once upon a time.

It suffered badly due to the rise of the uplands and the loss of regular first class sport at St Helen's. I'm gutted too.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 12:59 - Dec 29 with 797 viewsNogginthenog

Cardiff Arms , The Park, The Dilwyn, Buccaneer, Hanbury , No 10.
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:01 - Dec 29 with 797 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 08:36 - Dec 29 by angryjack

Cadle mill penplas Raven and the Fowler all my old watering holes gone

I can see why your angry now . What about the flying chair (lamb and flag) in morriston? And the old prince too?

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:03 - Dec 29 with 794 viewsdickythorpe

The South Wales Transport Club on St. Helens Road, always a friendly environment.
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:08 - Dec 29 with 779 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:03 - Dec 29 by dickythorpe

The South Wales Transport Club on St. Helens Road, always a friendly environment.

Barry Johns used to drink in there (ex SWT and IMI) rest in peace.

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:10 - Dec 29 with 775 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:03 - Dec 29 by dickythorpe

The Sandfields used to be a crawl and a half. F*ck all left of it now.

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:14 - Dec 29 with 768 viewsowainglyndwr

I think we are lucky in the valley, most pubs are quite busy
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:15 - Dec 29 with 766 viewsmajorraglan

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 09:42 - Dec 29 by dickythorpe

The Inn on the Hill went a few years ago and The Friends in Johnstown looks like it’s closed again. The Waterside and Metros night clubs have both closed and the Jolly Tar went a while ago. Add the Black Lion in Cwmffrwd and the number of pubs is really reducing.
Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:19 - Dec 29 with 758 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:14 - Dec 29 by owainglyndwr

I think we are lucky in the valley, most pubs are quite busy

Max's missus driving him here there and everywhere is going to have an impact. He's writing a book, 10,000 great pub journeys

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 13:19 - Dec 29 with 758 viewsmajorraglan

Hymns and Arias for all the recent dead pubs... on 23:25 - Dec 28 by Yossarian

Business rates and the rents tied pubs are being charged are having a massive impact on lots of pubs. The big companies are charging hefty rents and if they can’t rent the pub they sell them on usually as housing. The system needs reform, but that won’t happen as there are lots of vested interests.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024