Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dai Davies 21:22 - Jan 2 with 6412 viewsbryanwadesquiff

Have not seen many performances from Dai in the Old First Division only highlights but here he is costing Wales a Euro 1984 appearance.
Did he cost us the First Division Title?

Dai Davies on 21:32 - Jan 2 with 5439 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Doesn’t he hold the record of the most consecutive clean sheets and in that glory season as well

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Dai Davies on 22:19 - Jan 2 with 5351 viewssherpajacob

Neville Southall was 24 when this game was played, and Dai was picked?

I don't think it's fair to say he cost us the title, but I believe we came close to signing Ray Clemence, who could very well have won us the title.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Dai Davies on 05:27 - Jan 3 with 5218 viewsCaptain_Sham

Notts County home game was a memorable game for Dai.(For all the wrong reasons) Toshack was the flicking the Vs at the crowd at the end because they were giving him so much stick. Funny thing is we won.(3-2) but he was almost comically at fault for their second goal. Over the season it became apparent that he had a mistake or two in him and many people were mystified, and a little upset as to why we dropped Dai Stewart . The joke doing the rounds at school was that "Dai Davis was involved in a traffic accident earlier today, but survived... the car went through his legs"
[Post edited 3 Jan 2019 5:40]

Its just a ride.

Dai Davies on 06:20 - Jan 3 with 5184 viewsswan65split

Dai Davies on 05:27 - Jan 3 by Captain_Sham

Notts County home game was a memorable game for Dai.(For all the wrong reasons) Toshack was the flicking the Vs at the crowd at the end because they were giving him so much stick. Funny thing is we won.(3-2) but he was almost comically at fault for their second goal. Over the season it became apparent that he had a mistake or two in him and many people were mystified, and a little upset as to why we dropped Dai Stewart . The joke doing the rounds at school was that "Dai Davis was involved in a traffic accident earlier today, but survived... the car went through his legs"

Those hands placed on the pitch was hysterical.
Dai Davies on 07:33 - Jan 3 with 5143 viewssomersetsimon

Dai Davies on 06:20 - Jan 3 by swan65split

Those hands placed on the pitch was hysterical.

If I remember right, there was an announcement on the tannoy for the fans to stop undermining the confidence of our players!
Dai Davies on 07:35 - Jan 3 with 5140 viewssomersetsimon

Dai Davies on 05:27 - Jan 3 by Captain_Sham

For those not lucky enough to see it, a hopeful ball was punted over the top, Dai came out of his area to head it, jumped up (really weirdly, with his hands straight down by his sides), missed it completely and a Notts County player ran around him to tap the ball in.
Dai Davies on 09:09 - Jan 3 with 5061 viewsThrasher6

Dai Davies on 07:35 - Jan 3 by somersetsimon

For those not lucky enough to see it, a hopeful ball was punted over the top, Dai came out of his area to head it, jumped up (really weirdly, with his hands straight down by his sides), missed it completely and a Notts County player ran around him to tap the ball in.

Remember it like yesterday. Dai was getting a shed load of stick before the said incident. Was on the North Bank and this idiot was shouting to everybody and anyone who would listen...to support Dai and stop giving him stick. The said incident occurs..and everyone turned to look at this bloke...the look on his face will stay with me forever...total dejection...funny as f@ck it was...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Dai Davies on 09:21 - Jan 3 with 5048 viewsBloodyhills

I remember the hands at the Notts County game. Very funny.

Dai was capable of dropping a clanger that's for sure but I don't think he cost us the title. It's amazing to think that we were in with a shout of it. I think we were top after 10, 20 and then 30 games.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Login to get fewer ads

Dai Davies on 09:46 - Jan 3 with 5024 viewsdobjack2

He was capable of the odd feck up and when he fecked up it usually ended up in the back of the net. Notts county was an absolute howler.

Dai wasn’t a bad keeper and played a lot of stormers especially away from home, however his problem was that despite being a former player there was a large element on the North Bank that didn’t like him and would pounce on the slightest error.

Dave Stewart was popular and many didn’t like the way he was treated. I always felt that Dai was a strange choice to replace him based on the amount of stick he got when we played Wrexham. Large elements of the north bank chanting “dai’s Not going to Europe” for example when we beat them in the Welsh Cup.
Dai Davies on 09:49 - Jan 3 with 5021 viewssherpajacob

Dai Davies on 07:35 - Jan 3 by somersetsimon

It's shown on the old "Golden days" home produced VHS video that was sold through Jackmail fanzine back in the day .

Dai Davies on 09:53 - Jan 3 with 5013 viewsraynor94

Dai Davies on 22:19 - Jan 2 by sherpajacob

Neville Southall was 24 when this game was played, and Dai was picked?

I don't think it's fair to say he cost us the title, but I believe we came close to signing Ray Clemence, who could very well have won us the title.

Honestly don't think there's any truth to the rumour Clemence would have come here, he was in the champions to be side.

We just ran out of steam in March, I remember Liverpool going on a fantastic run and pipping Ipswich to the title, we eventually finished 18 points behind Liverpool

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Dai Davies on 09:59 - Jan 3 with 5006 viewsWingstandwood

The trouble for Dai Davies was he ousted a supporters favourite goalkeeper from the first team...In most supporters minds Dave Stewart was denied the most utmost and well deserved shoe-in guaranteed No 1 spot to become part of what became a most memorable, significant and historical of football seasons for SCFC.

It's not just that Dai Davies was prone to the occasional clanger or two (did have some influence) it was the fact it was more of more (significant factor) a supporters hearts and minds emotional issue.

Argus!

Dai Davies on 10:30 - Jan 3 with 4959 viewssherpajacob

Dai Davies on 09:53 - Jan 3 by raynor94

Honestly don't think there's any truth to the rumour Clemence would have come here, he was in the champions to be side.

We just ran out of steam in March, I remember Liverpool going on a fantastic run and pipping Ipswich to the title, we eventually finished 18 points behind Liverpool

Clemence moved from Liverpool to Spurs in 1981.

Dai Davies on 10:31 - Jan 3 with 4959 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Signing Ray Kennedy probably cost us the title. We were top when we signed him but he was in the early stages of his of his illness which had not been diagnosed at the time.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Dai Davies on 10:37 - Jan 3 with 4958 viewsraynor94

Dai Davies on 10:30 - Jan 3 by sherpajacob

Clemence moved from Liverpool to Spurs in 1981.

My apologies, I'm a year out, but I still couldn't see him signing for us in front of Spurs

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Dai Davies on 10:57 - Jan 3 with 4927 viewssherpajacob

Dai Davies on 10:37 - Jan 3 by raynor94

My apologies, I'm a year out, but I still couldn't see him signing for us in front of Spurs

Maybe not, but we signed Bob Latchford and Colin Irwin from Tosh's visits to Merseyside that summer and Ray Kennedy later in the season.

Clemency was leaving Liverpool so there's s every chance Tosh was sniffing around.

Dai Davies on 11:08 - Jan 3 with 4903 viewsBloodyhills

Dai Davies on 09:53 - Jan 3 by raynor94

I seem to remember Toshack writing about the possible signing of Clement in his biography but that it would have taken up too large a chunk of the transfer budget.

It is a long time since I read it though.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Dai Davies on 11:17 - Jan 3 with 4892 viewsdameedna

The Kennedy signing scuppered the Clemence signing. Unfortunateley Kennedy was irresistable at the time. The Irwin injury was another factor even though we had Speedy and Dudley.
Dai Davies on 11:30 - Jan 3 with 4879 viewstheloneranger

Dai Davies on 11:08 - Jan 3 by Bloodyhills

I seem to remember Toshack writing about the possible signing of Clement in his biography but that it would have taken up too large a chunk of the transfer budget.

It is a long time since I read it though.

Tosh was deep in talks with Clemence and Jimmy Case, especially after Wyndham Evans testimonial against Liverpool in 1981, but Clemence went to Spurs for £300K and Case to Brighton.

I think with Tosh as Case's manager there would have been huge problems, because Jimmy Case had a massive drinking problem.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Dai Davies on 22:19 - Jan 3 with 4668 viewsswancity

Bit of an insult to Toshack to question his decision on continued selection of Davies who had so many excellent games for the Swans in his 3 ?? spells at the club. It’s true of course that he made some mistakes but then he also excelled in most of his games always taking responsibility by coming for balls bravely always and sometimes to his detriment. Away from home especially he was outstanding and I recall being at Anfield for our 2-2 draw when Dai booted Souness up
the arse after he’d scored a penalty to make it 2-2. A great moment.

Also for Wales with over 50 caps he did well 👍🏻

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Dai Davies on 22:50 - Jan 3 with 4636 viewsswan65split

Dai Davies on 22:19 - Jan 3 by swancity

Bit of an insult to Toshack to question his decision on continued selection of Davies who had so many excellent games for the Swans in his 3 ?? spells at the club. It’s true of course that he made some mistakes but then he also excelled in most of his games always taking responsibility by coming for balls bravely always and sometimes to his detriment. Away from home especially he was outstanding and I recall being at Anfield for our 2-2 draw when Dai booted Souness up
the arse after he’d scored a penalty to make it 2-2. A great moment.

Also for Wales with over 50 caps he did well 👍🏻

I think he was narked as the pen was his fault....6.40

[Post edited 3 Jan 2019 23:54]
Dai Davies on 23:26 - Jan 3 with 4620 viewsTNT

Dai Davies on 22:50 - Jan 3 by swan65split

Dai liked a good ruck, fair play.

He played one good game in four that season.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Dai Davies on 19:11 - Jan 4 with 4386 viewstheloneranger

Dai Davies on 22:50 - Jan 3 by swan65split

He should have saved the first penalty ... He went down like a U Bend.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Dai Davies on 19:39 - Jan 4 with 4356 viewsGaryjack

Dai Davies on 10:31 - Jan 3 by felixstowe_jack

Signing Ray Kennedy probably cost us the title. We were top when we signed him but he was in the early stages of his of his illness which had not been diagnosed at the time.

Claptrap! Kennedy put in some great performances after we signed him in the January. Toshack even installed him as captain for the following season.
Dai Davies on 20:32 - Jan 4 with 4308 viewsjackolantern

Dai Davies on 19:39 - Jan 4 by Garyjack

Claptrap! Kennedy put in some great performances after we signed him in the January. Toshack even installed him as captain for the following season.

Colin Irwin
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024