Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit 10:54 - Jan 8 with 5767 viewsLord_Bony

The pound is doing badly against the euro at the moment. Took 20 Euros out of an ATM machine in Tenerife last night for a taxi and it cost me almost £24!!

It could get much worse post brexit but there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are still many countries where the pound is strong against the national currencies there . I was in Poland recently and everything was extremely cheap and top quality.

Here's the list of some countries that savvy Brits are looking to holiday in this coming year...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/brexit-two-years-po

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 13:07 - Jan 8 with 3529 viewsBloodyhills

Tenby.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 13:17 - Jan 8 with 3512 viewsHighjack

Turkey is cheap since the Lira tanked.

Also get good value for money skiing in Bulgaria. Litre of beer was 4 lev which is about £1.60.

There's also some lovely hotels in Aleppo that have fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor that I believe have come down a lot in price over the last few years.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g295416-d648330-Reviews-Sheraton_Alep

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 13:18 - Jan 8 with 3509 viewslifelong

You always get a better rate for sterling out there with cash at certain outlets.

The rate in Gorseinon this morning was 108 which means you should get at least 110 out there, the atm machines out there have always been a rip off.
Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 14:00 - Jan 8 with 3450 viewsFlashberryjack

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 13:17 - Jan 8 by Highjack

Also get good value for money skiing in Bulgaria. Litre of beer was 4 lev which is about £1.60.

There's also some lovely hotels in Aleppo that have fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor that I believe have come down a lot in price over the last few years.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g295416-d648330-Reviews-Sheraton_Alep

Agree, Turkey gives you a good deal for your pound, was out there in September and got 9 Lira to the pound, even though we had a great hotel that was all inclusive we tried several restaurants outside the hotel as they were so cheap, with fantastic service.

Same for Egypt, we were there last May and getting 23 Egyptian Pound for our pound, went to some really nice fish restaurants, lobster, crab and all kinds of fish dishes cheap as hell, again with fantastic table service, f*ck rip off Europe.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 14:31 - Jan 8 with 3428 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 13:07 - Jan 8 by Bloodyhills

Tenby.

langland.
Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 15:04 - Jan 8 with 3393 viewspikeypaul

Halifax Clarity card with no fees is the way to go.

You get virtually bank spot rate.

€20 costs £18

You’ve paid 33% more than you could /should have.

You probably also fell for the dynamic currency conversion scam,a lot do instantly giving away 10% of their cash.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 15:18]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 15:31 - Jan 8 with 3361 viewsmajorraglan

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 15:04 - Jan 8 by pikeypaul

Halifax Clarity card with no fees is the way to go.

You get virtually bank spot rate.

€20 costs £18

You’ve paid 33% more than you could /should have.

You probably also fell for the dynamic currency conversion scam,a lot do instantly giving away 10% of their cash.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 15:18]

I used this on a recent trip to the US. In terms of purchases it was great, cash was an issue though as I was charged a transaction fee for using ATMs. The rates were excellent though.

Purchasing foreign exchange, I always check on the Money Saving Expert site to see who offers the best rate and I invariably go with them.
Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 15:34 - Jan 8 with 3356 viewsbermudajack

The biggest issue is what is going to happen to the likes of Alacante, Benidorm, Tenerife, Ibiza, Corfu and hundreds of other European holiday destinations that heavily relay on British tourists as the pound continues to devalue?

It could be catestrophic initially - until the Brits are replaced by the Germans, Russians et al...

Our holiday destinations will be more non EU focused.

An even higher Increase in destinations such as Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Thailand, Cambodia - all inclusive deals...

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Login to get fewer ads

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 15:54 - Jan 8 with 3334 viewspikeypaul

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 15:31 - Jan 8 by majorraglan

I used this on a recent trip to the US. In terms of purchases it was great, cash was an issue though as I was charged a transaction fee for using ATMs. The rates were excellent though.

Purchasing foreign exchange, I always check on the Money Saving Expert site to see who offers the best rate and I invariably go with them.

Any transaction fee would be by the operator of the ATM and not Halifax.

If you look around there are ATMs with zero transaction fees allowing you to get virtually bank mid price.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 16:27 - Jan 8 with 3311 viewsAnotherJohn

Some good tips on this thread. I've had a Halifax Clarity card for a while and it worked well in the US last year. ATMs were a bit of a problem, but if the card balance is cleared online quickly the overall cost is very low. Pity about the old Nationwide Flex card deal, which has ended, but was good in its day. The current NW Flexplus account is better than most, but worse than the old card. Using a Santander Select account and ATMs is a low-cost solution in several European countries. For many years I've been visiting SE Asia and China more often than Europe or North America. Unfortunately the exchange rate isn't so great there, and with high foreign ATM charges a local bank account is the best solution. Some people use Metro Bank, which has very low overseas charges, but you need to sign up in London or a couple of other cities.
Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 16:37 - Jan 8 with 3303 viewsmajorraglan

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 15:54 - Jan 8 by pikeypaul

Any transaction fee would be by the operator of the ATM and not Halifax.

If you look around there are ATMs with zero transaction fees allowing you to get virtually bank mid price.

You are right re the ATM operators charging the fee and not the Halifax, but it was pretty much a blanket fee everywhere I went and I wa unable to find any ATMs offering a free withdrawal service. The rates though were very good.
Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 17:45 - Jan 8 with 3267 viewsLord_Bony

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 15:34 - Jan 8 by bermudajack

The biggest issue is what is going to happen to the likes of Alacante, Benidorm, Tenerife, Ibiza, Corfu and hundreds of other European holiday destinations that heavily relay on British tourists as the pound continues to devalue?

It could be catestrophic initially - until the Brits are replaced by the Germans, Russians et al...

Our holiday destinations will be more non EU focused.

An even higher Increase in destinations such as Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Thailand, Cambodia - all inclusive deals...

Yep. Was talking to some shopkeeper today, basically they are crapping themselves if the British stop coming. Will be a lot of hotels and businesses affected.

The feeling is there is a bubble of over inflated prices about to burst if we start using other destinations outside of the Euro currency...especially Spain.

Post Brexit may or may not be the tipping point.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 17:52 - Jan 8 with 3251 viewsItchySphincter

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 13:17 - Jan 8 by Highjack

Hey, what about Beirut, or Burkina Faso?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 18:00 - Jan 8 with 3238 viewspikeypaul

Vietnam. Sapa,Lan Ha bay,Ninh Binh.Doc Let,Hoi an,Da Nang,etc,etc,etc

Feck the European Union countries very happy never to go to any ever again.

Will spend my coin elsewhere.

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 01:12 - Jan 9 with 3106 viewsPacemaker

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 16:27 - Jan 8 by AnotherJohn

Some good tips on this thread. I've had a Halifax Clarity card for a while and it worked well in the US last year. ATMs were a bit of a problem, but if the card balance is cleared online quickly the overall cost is very low. Pity about the old Nationwide Flex card deal, which has ended, but was good in its day. The current NW Flexplus account is better than most, but worse than the old card. Using a Santander Select account and ATMs is a low-cost solution in several European countries. For many years I've been visiting SE Asia and China more often than Europe or North America. Unfortunately the exchange rate isn't so great there, and with high foreign ATM charges a local bank account is the best solution. Some people use Metro Bank, which has very low overseas charges, but you need to sign up in London or a couple of other cities.

I only use my Santander Zero card and Halifax Clarity card when overseas pay both off immediately and they present a far more cost effective way of spending overseas. These days almost everywhere accepts credit cards so I only ever take a small amount of cash with me for small purchases etc. Even car parking can be paid with tap and go/ pay wave technology.

Just spent 3 weeks overseas and not used cash other than to give to family etc.

Once whatever happens with Brexit is out of the way we will see how the pound stands globally, I took my main summer holiday in the UK last year for the first time ever, the weather helped but we had a great time touring Scotland and the Yorkshire Dales.

It was on par with a European holiday cost wise but far less stressful especially not hanging about airports etc.

It may well be that we all start seeing more of our own country rather than spend our earnings overseas.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 09:11 - Jan 9 with 3037 viewspikeypaul

British tourism will thrive with more people spending here .

But that will not make the remoaners happy since they want failure post Brexit.

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 10:52 - Jan 9 with 3002 viewscontroversial_jack

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 09:11 - Jan 9 by pikeypaul

British tourism will thrive with more people spending here .

But that will not make the remoaners happy since they want failure post Brexit.

More spending here, at these prices, are you nuts?It's still better value to go overseas although we will get less from our money
Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 11:43 - Jan 9 with 2982 viewspikeypaul

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 10:52 - Jan 9 by controversial_jack

More spending here, at these prices, are you nuts?It's still better value to go overseas although we will get less from our money

All depends where you go,if you are the Benidorm pint for 2euro brigade fair enough. If you go to any where a little bit more upscale then far more expensive.

Besides its far easier,relaxing and cheaper to pop down to Devon and Cornwall than spending the best part of a day getting to waiting around the airport then flying and repeating the 1st process the other side only to arrive somewhere similar to Blackpool with sun.

Long haul destinations and the experience they bring are another story and I agree worthwhile.

More and more youngsters are now expanding their horizons and heading away from the old run of the mill destinations.

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 11:53 - Jan 9 with 2973 viewslonglostjack

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 11:43 - Jan 9 by pikeypaul

All depends where you go,if you are the Benidorm pint for 2euro brigade fair enough. If you go to any where a little bit more upscale then far more expensive.

Besides its far easier,relaxing and cheaper to pop down to Devon and Cornwall than spending the best part of a day getting to waiting around the airport then flying and repeating the 1st process the other side only to arrive somewhere similar to Blackpool with sun.

Long haul destinations and the experience they bring are another story and I agree worthwhile.

More and more youngsters are now expanding their horizons and heading away from the old run of the mill destinations.

Thailand already is a run of the mill destination.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 11:59 - Jan 9 with 2968 viewsLord_Bony

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 11:53 - Jan 9 by longlostjack

Thailand already is a run of the mill destination.

And the Baht is weak against the pound so good value too.

Probably cheaper to fly there for two weeks than holiday in some places in Europe at this moment.

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 13:53 - Jan 9 with 2911 viewscontroversial_jack

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 11:43 - Jan 9 by pikeypaul

There aren't many short hall destinations that are as expensive as this country, plus you usually get better weather.Have you tried the M5 on a busy day?

Longhaul are different, but the thought of 10 hours on an aircraft puts me right of,I would be bored out of my mind
Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 14:43 - Jan 9 with 2883 viewsFlashberryjack

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 13:53 - Jan 9 by controversial_jack

There aren't many short hall destinations that are as expensive as this country, plus you usually get better weather.Have you tried the M5 on a busy day?

Longhaul are different, but the thought of 10 hours on an aircraft puts me right of,I would be bored out of my mind

Just under 3 hrs to Tunisia, nice hotels, lovely warm weather and fantastic value for money.

Used to love it there, sadly we haven't been back since terrorist attack though.

Hello

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 18:06 - Jan 9 with 2840 viewsLord_Bony

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 14:43 - Jan 9 by Flashberryjack

Just under 3 hrs to Tunisia, nice hotels, lovely warm weather and fantastic value for money.

Used to love it there, sadly we haven't been back since terrorist attack though.

More chance of being struck by lightning.

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 19:55 - Jan 9 with 2797 viewsFlashberryjack

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 18:06 - Jan 9 by Lord_Bony

More chance of being struck by lightning.

Terrorism has no borders...you been there Bony ?

Hello

Best Holiday Destinations Post Brexit on 16:12 - Apr 1 with 2406 viewsLord_Bony

So here I am in Venice today.

The pound has gone up since I wrote the above from 1.09 to 1.17 against the euro and yet these robbing bar stewards are STILL GIVING LESS THAN THEY SHOULD,it's like a conspiracy between the banks and local money changers. Atm machine £100 pounds gets you 70 euros (probably an extra charge the other end too the robin cants).

Best deal with the money changers was 80 euros for £100 I mean come on like.

I am crying in my pizza here please send me some cash brothers.

What has happened to the once great British Pound?

I was in Poland recently and you couldn't get rid of the stuff the exchange was so good against the Zloty.

Avoid the euro if you can is my tip of the day.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024