Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? 18:04 - Jan 8 with 2076 viewsThrasher6

Was there but it got blurry....probably Kestrel lager

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:14 - Jan 8 with 2049 viewsAl_Bundy

The double decker buses that picked us up from Preston station almost being rolled over on the way to the ground being swayed by the fans. Scary stuff..
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:20 - Jan 8 with 2039 viewsCaptain_Sham

Preston away 1986 remains one of my favorite away trips. Went with FOSCFA with a trip to Blackpool after.

Its just a ride.

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:24 - Jan 8 with 2032 viewsBadlands

Had to travel from work near Wolverhampton to get ta bus I Swansea and passed the place I was liking by less than a mile.
On the mainly Baglan bus I laughed at comments about a rather leafy looking Walsall - "What s s*** hole."
Impressed with Liverpool fans going the other way waving banners with good luck messages for the Swans.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:36 - Jan 8 with 2010 viewssainthelens

Was a bright eyed/excited 16yo the day we won promotion with Tosh.
Onto Blackpool after the game and the rest is a blur. I'm still unsure wether that or the Reading (Wembley) game was most memorable.
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:48 - Jan 8 with 1984 viewsTenbySwan

It was a great day.

One if the things that stuck in my mind was fortune teller Russell Grant who was quite famous at the time saying on ITV Wales the night before that according to the stars that Swansea were definitely going to win.

Whilst being delighted that we won and were promoted I did feel a bit sorry for Preston Manager Nobby Stiles who's team were relegated.
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:49 - Jan 8 with 1977 viewsmarchamjack

Vivid memories of coach loads of Blackburn Rovers fans heading down the M5 the other way and I think loads of Widnes fans (?) heading to Wembley for the Challenge Cup Final.

First goal went in I nearly died from being crushed against a crash barrier. Happy memories 😀

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:52 - Jan 8 with 1972 viewsAl_Bundy

Also remember while our special footie train stopped at Stoke on the return the Blackburn fans train arrived from away at Bristol Rovers who we pipped for promotion on the last day. Great banter between the train platforms. Shame the club doesn't run these trains anymore to games.
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:52 - Jan 8 with 1976 viewsThrasher6

Remember getting crushed by the barrier...things are coming back to me..

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Login to get fewer ads

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 19:34 - Jan 8 with 1896 viewsFlashberryjack

Drove up with 2 mates, after the game we stayed the night in the scabbiest hotel in Blackpool, a proper shyte hole it was.
Ended up drinking with a load of Sunderland fans in some rough as f*ck bar, I think they'd just beaten Liverpool at Anfield, which meant that they stayed up.
The rest is a bit of a blur since, because I got absolutely hammered, but funnily enough I had a few flashbacks of the Preston game at the Wembley play off against Reading, and after all those years, I did exactly the same thing, and got absolutely hammered...again.
I wonder if I'll ever see us in the top flight again, although, to be fair, I have been lucky enough to see us there twice, while sadly there were some that never got to see us there once.
I've had some fantastic times supporting the Swans over the years (the ones I remember that is) It's great being a Swans fan, it really is, even if it gets a bit hard at times.
STID.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 19:51 - Jan 8 with 1873 viewslifelong

Had to work so missed the game, listened to it on the radio.
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 20:01 - Jan 8 with 1848 viewssainthelens

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 19:34 - Jan 8 by Flashberryjack

Drove up with 2 mates, after the game we stayed the night in the scabbiest hotel in Blackpool, a proper shyte hole it was.
Ended up drinking with a load of Sunderland fans in some rough as f*ck bar, I think they'd just beaten Liverpool at Anfield, which meant that they stayed up.
The rest is a bit of a blur since, because I got absolutely hammered, but funnily enough I had a few flashbacks of the Preston game at the Wembley play off against Reading, and after all those years, I did exactly the same thing, and got absolutely hammered...again.
I wonder if I'll ever see us in the top flight again, although, to be fair, I have been lucky enough to see us there twice, while sadly there were some that never got to see us there once.
I've had some fantastic times supporting the Swans over the years (the ones I remember that is) It's great being a Swans fan, it really is, even if it gets a bit hard at times.
STID.

Top post.
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 20:03 - Jan 8 with 1846 viewsBloodyhills

I couldn't get a place on a bus or in the back of a van anywhere so persuaded my mother's partner to go up. Jammed in his car with four heavy smokers who didn't want a window open was a bit of a struggle but it was all worth it. Amazing day.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 20:55 - Jan 8 with 1789 viewsOldjack

We ended up pushing our bus through Preston after a breakdown,On the way home we were stopped by the coppers on the motorway ,where you going he said ? this is the road to Scotland ffs .And when I got home in the early hours err in doors was having our baby in hospital I named him Leighton after that wonder goal which put us on the road to division one I had a few that weekend

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 21:50 - Jan 8 with 1725 viewsoldgrey

It was my birthday.
I won £100 on the Swans scratchcard thing on the bus on the way up.
And we got promoted.

Not a bad day out.
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 22:14 - Jan 8 with 1700 viewsSPboy

Left the Silver Dollar club after last orders on Friday night on 52 seater Jenkins of Skewen coach

Game of footie on Blackpool beach @ 0830 next morning, about 20 a side. Tide came in. Breakfast with beer. More beer, coach to Preston. Win the match ... pure heaven & ecstasy

Back to Blackpool for the night, more beer & chips. Fans swinging from chandeliers in Blackpool hotel bar. Coach home overnight. Too tired to make the parade at the Townhall on Sunday. Every bit as memorable as the Reading match
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 01:37 - Jan 9 with 1578 viewsLoyal

Great stories in here Inc preston.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Come-Cymru-Football-Keith-Haynes/dp/1850586896

I think it's this one...
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 1:44]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 17:16 - Jan 9 with 1394 viewsBadlands

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 18:48 - Jan 8 by TenbySwan

It was a great day.

One if the things that stuck in my mind was fortune teller Russell Grant who was quite famous at the time saying on ITV Wales the night before that according to the stars that Swansea were definitely going to win.

Whilst being delighted that we won and were promoted I did feel a bit sorry for Preston Manager Nobby Stiles who's team were relegated.

Especially as it meant Cardiff stayed up!

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 19:17 - Jan 9 with 1337 viewsDewi1jack

16 year old and a bit overawed truthfully.
Overcame that with a beer or 2 on way up. Think most of our crowd were beered up.
Went up with mates on the bus. I remember the driver stopping at a few offies up and back
Think the company was Ken Hopkins
Seemed every bus, car, van etc on the way up had black n white scarves or flags hanging off every one.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 14:57 - Jan 10 with 1218 viewsWxmJax

We'd stopped coming down to Swansea every weekend after my grandparents died and had only seen the occasional game at Chester or Wrexham so thought it was wrong to glory hunt. What a tosser. Saw the scenes on BBC Wales after the match and was so pissed off the that I didn't go. Still regret not going that day even now.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 21:35 - Jan 10 with 1117 viewskarnataka

Apart from the game itself which I'll never forget, there are a couple of things I always recall about the day. I was there with my brother, both in our late 20s and our Dad had died a few years earlier at the young age of 57. When Charlo scored the 3rd goal that assured our promotion, as the place was going nuts, my brother said to me "I wish Dad had lived to see this". And the other thing happened as we were driving away from the ground. We saw a couple of young mid-teens Jacks running towards us and we leant out and gave them a cheer but they flagged us down and told us they were on their way to the station but their way was blocked by a mob of angry Blackburn fans who had just had their own promotion hopes destroyed by the Swans as we'd pipped them on goal difference. They asked us for a lift to the station to avoid a kicking which we were happy to provide.
Preston away....to go up to the old First Division. Any good stories? on 02:49 - Jan 11 with 1063 viewsChief

I wasn't born but my old man turned down a ticket because he was the best man at a wedding.

Unfortunately the groom became a scab in the miners strike a few years later and they fell out.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024