Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holly Dog aka Girlie 16:48 - Jan 14 with 2389 viewsPrivate_Partz

About 15 years ago my daughter and her bf adopted a rescue dog. She was a cross Yorkshire Terrier, about 2 years old and had 3 pups who had also been rehomed.
The adoption was a roaring success as she was an affectionate lap dog or would run up Snowdon with you if needed.
She loved going out in their camper van and would sit in there for a couple of days waiting if they were preparing to go away. She loved the trips.
When they got married she had pride of place in the wedding.
When children arrived she recognised her place in the pecking order was challenged but accepted this and loved them just as she did her owners.
Over the last couple of years it has been sad to see her hearing and sight go and her mobility deteriorate. To such a degree that today we had to have her put down. We are all devastated.

The lessons I have learned from this is that it is well worth looking at a rescue dog if you are looking for a pet. Personally I still would find it difficult as the pain is so great when you lose them.

Apologies for sharing this with fellow Jacks as it is complete self indulgence. There is no funeral or speech to follow so I though why not use the forum I have posted on for years? I appreciate there is so much suffering in the world and the death of a loved pet must rank lowly compared to this.
Nevertheless I will just close by saying Rest In Peace lovely Girlie.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 16:58 - Jan 14 with 2378 viewsWingstandwood

Nothing self indulgent because a much loved dog really does become one of the family. If you google the words "dogs unconditional love" you'll get over sixteen million results. That is why beloved pets mean so much and are loved so much is because they give so much in return. It's a two way thing!

Take comfort in the fact your action of giving a rescue dog a much needed chance brought so many memories and happiness to yourself, family and your beloved Girlie.

Argus!

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 17:21 - Jan 14 with 2352 viewsTreforys_Jack

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 16:58 - Jan 14 by Wingstandwood

Nothing self indulgent because a much loved dog really does become one of the family. If you google the words "dogs unconditional love" you'll get over sixteen million results. That is why beloved pets mean so much and are loved so much is because they give so much in return. It's a two way thing!

Take comfort in the fact your action of giving a rescue dog a much needed chance brought so many memories and happiness to yourself, family and your beloved Girlie.

This all day long, as I've said multiple times I've got 3 rescues , 17, 15 and 9 , so I'm goin to be in the same boat shortly. They are my best friends and I'm dreading it, and will cry like a big girls blouse, but the that's life I'm afraid.
Holly Dog aka Girlie on 17:48 - Jan 14 with 2327 viewsDarran

Beautiful thread. Dogs are wonderful humans. RIP Girlie.

Oh and on a side note,this daughter,YKTR.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 18:01 - Jan 14 with 2304 viewsperplex

She was taken in by you and shown the love she deserved, well done sir.
Holly Dog aka Girlie on 18:08 - Jan 14 with 2290 viewsdickythorpe

I love animals, many have been nicer than people.
RIP
Holly Dog aka Girlie on 18:10 - Jan 14 with 2287 viewstrampie

Chin up Private_Partz, pets are great.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 18:46 - Jan 14 with 2247 viewsBrynCartwright

Feeling for you PP and your family at this difficult time. Dogs are great and the feeling of loss on their death is usually very profound for their owners. Lots of tears accompanied by lots of fond memories and laughter.

My old Welsh terrier/Jack Russell cross Kelly was awesome; randy little sod as well. A few times a year he used to get returned to us after romantic forays in the late 70's/ early 80's from miles away by "Gareth the Fruit"; (and no, Gareth was not gay; he delivered and sold fruit, in a van).

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 18:49 - Jan 14 with 2240 viewsnantywatcher

RIP Girlie - over Rainbow Bridge.
Our second rescue dog, Wenna, arrived with us 10 days ago - nothing but joy every single day
Login to get fewer ads

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 19:10 - Jan 14 with 2214 viewsSwanzay

Sorry to here of your families loss PP.
Dogs are very much part of the family and I can't imaging life without my rescue.

RIP Holly
Holly Dog aka Girlie on 21:45 - Jan 14 with 2128 viewsLoyal

Finest beings known to civilization.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 22:32 - Jan 14 with 2094 viewsSirjohnalot

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 21:45 - Jan 14 by Loyal

Finest beings known to civilization.

We’ve just had a little cocker spaniels puppy. The welcome we get when we come home from work is fantastic. First time dog owner. Will always be for ever more.

Many condolences on your loss Sir,
Holly Dog aka Girlie on 22:38 - Jan 14 with 2085 viewslonglostjack

A dog is always one of the family and it’s hard when you have to let them go. They’re a part of your life. I hope your daughter’s circumstances will allow her to get another rescue dog before too long. Life will seem strange without a dog around the place and time is a great healer.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 22:53 - Jan 14 with 2072 viewsJohnw102

Feel your pain lost our old girl 16+ years old on Christmas eve, we were shattered, but our 4 year old who had come straight from her litter to her new "mum" has been like a lost sheep. only just seems to be coming to terms with it. All ours have always been rescues and wouldn't have it any other way. give it a few weeks I can see us off to Greenacres or Many tears. Be sad for their going, but grateful for the years we had them. Be strong.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 22:58 - Jan 14 with 2066 viewsPrivate_Partz

Thanks all for your up arrows and kind comments. It has helped us all a lot.
It would not surprise me if they again go for a rescue dog once the sadness has died down.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 02:37 - Jan 15 with 2010 viewsCooperman

Sorry to hear your bad news PP.

I long for the day when I become a first time dog owner, haven't even got close and won't for some time yet. My parents grew up with dogs around them and yet it never filtered down into my childhood years. However when the day does finally arrive both sides will get so much out of it.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 14:02 - Jan 15 with 1913 views34dfgdf54

So sorry to hear that PP.

Ours has not long turned one, named Wilf (after Zaha I'll tell people for now on). They are one of the family and I hate even thinking about the day something happens to mine.

Many condolences
Holly Dog aka Girlie on 16:44 - Jan 15 with 1873 viewsEbo

A family member of mine saw this dog on facebook and the article was labelled "Meet Murphy, the worlds saddest dog". The dog is a border collie called Murphy who was in a rescue centre and had suffered neglect and abuse. He is what they call a "shut down dog" where he does not respond to people or other animals, no interest in play etc... He also has the worlds saddest eyes I have ever seen. A dogs eyes tell a story.. anyway...

My cousin read it and her husband said "Let's get him then!".

So after a lot of paperwork, emails etc, Murphy had his jabs and my cousin's husband drove to Holyhead last weekend and took a ferry over to Ireland. A long journey back as the ferry was delayed but Murphy arrived home in the early hours of Sunday morning.

They have 2 other dogs and Maddy the other border collie did have a grumble at first at the new arrival, but Seren their other dog took a shine to him straight away.

Murphy had a chicken dinner, a pampered bath and then a walk with the other dogs. He is still "shut down" but little things are already happening. He is starting to wag his tail a little (he wouldn't budge a muscle 2 days ago) and he really loves his food. It will take patience but he has gone to the right people as they will look after him and slowly bring out the real Murphy so he can have a happy life.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 16:47 - Jan 15 with 1868 viewsLohengrin

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 16:44 - Jan 15 by Ebo

A family member of mine saw this dog on facebook and the article was labelled "Meet Murphy, the worlds saddest dog". The dog is a border collie called Murphy who was in a rescue centre and had suffered neglect and abuse. He is what they call a "shut down dog" where he does not respond to people or other animals, no interest in play etc... He also has the worlds saddest eyes I have ever seen. A dogs eyes tell a story.. anyway...

So after a lot of paperwork, emails etc, Murphy had his jabs and my cousin's husband drove to Holyhead last weekend and took a ferry over to Ireland. A long journey back as the ferry was delayed but Murphy arrived home in the early hours of Sunday morning.

They have 2 other dogs and Maddy the other border collie did have a grumble at first at the new arrival, but Seren their other dog took a shine to him straight away.

Murphy had a chicken dinner, a pampered bath and then a walk with the other dogs. He is still "shut down" but little things are already happening. He is starting to wag his tail a little (he wouldn't budge a muscle 2 days ago) and he really loves his food. It will take patience but he has gone to the right people as they will look after him and slowly bring out the real Murphy so he can have a happy life.

I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for taking the time to type and post it up.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 17:10 - Jan 15 with 1855 viewsProfessor

Sorry to hear that PP. Despite working in a veterinary environment losing a dog is always hard. Was in floods of tears when we had to say goodbye to our Jack Russell 2 years ago. We have another dog now and she is really important for my son's wellbeing who has some learning and communication issues. Dogs are just the best thing in a household
Holly Dog aka Girlie on 17:10 - Jan 15 with 1855 views1983

Always had rescue dogs,2 of them are buried in the garden next to our tree and I cried my eyes out burying them.Our last one literally died in my arms as he was having a massive fit which put too much pressure on his heart. I would spend all day with dogs if I could much better than people.

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 07:51 - Jan 16 with 1758 viewsPrivate_Partz

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 16:44 - Jan 15 by Ebo

Sad but lovely story. Hope it all works out. Sounds like it will.

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 17:04 - Jan 16 with 1692 viewsSTID2017

Totally sympathise with you.
Mine and my late wife's dog Molly died a little over two years ago and we missed her everyday, as I still do

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 13:12 - Jan 17 with 1602 viewsEbo

Holly Dog aka Girlie on 07:51 - Jan 16 by Private_Partz

Sad but lovely story. Hope it all works out. Sounds like it will.

He's picked up a lot this week. When my cousin takes the dogs out in the camper van Murphy is the first one in. He loves his comfy sofa and is now wagging his tail.

They've done a great job so far but he is still a little 'shut down', but over time he will be the real Murphy,

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024