Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mid table mediocrity 19:52 - Jan 14 with 4289 viewsdickythorpe

Of our 10 wins this season how many of them involve sides that sit above us at this present time?
Mid table mediocrity on 20:02 - Jan 14 with 2049 views34dfgdf54

Two I believe.
Mid table mediocrity on 20:06 - Jan 14 with 2041 viewsdickythorpe

Correct
Mid table mediocrity on 20:59 - Jan 14 with 1965 viewsGlyn1

So you are saying that teams do better against weaker teams than they do against stronger teams? Or am I missing something?
[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 21:02]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Mid table mediocrity on 21:11 - Jan 14 with 1915 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Average team does less well against above average teams than below average teams on average.
On average 50 percent of teams are below average.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Mid table mediocrity on 21:16 - Jan 14 with 1898 viewsdickythorpe

Mid table mediocrity on 20:59 - Jan 14 by Glyn1

So you are saying that teams do better against weaker teams than they do against stronger teams? Or am I missing something?
[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 21:02]

Draw your own conclusions, just putting it out there.
Mid table mediocrity on 21:37 - Jan 14 with 1872 viewsshenleymun

Wow thanks, we would never have known
Mid table mediocrity on 21:46 - Jan 14 with 1852 viewsGlyn1

Mid table mediocrity on 21:16 - Jan 14 by dickythorpe

Draw your own conclusions, just putting it out there.

Winning 2 games against the top teams and 8 games against the lower teams may be a little surprising but I'm not sure how significant that is. You could argue that it shows that the team knows how to dispatch weak opposition (apart from a few exceptions).

It may be that strong teams are able to better take advantage of our known weaknesses, e.g. a non tackling midfield, young and inexperienced players, but all of that is fixable next season. Personally for me, mid-table mediocrity is fine this season since it allows Potter a breathing space to work out his best team and tactics. Others disagree.

Mid table mediocrity on 22:02 - Jan 14 with 1813 viewsdickythorpe

Mid table mediocrity on 21:37 - Jan 14 by shenleymun

Wow thanks, we would never have known

Happy with it ?
Login to get fewer ads

Mid table mediocrity on 00:03 - Jan 15 with 1703 viewsTreforys_Jack

If we'd beaten more teams above us we'd be higher shocker.
Mid table mediocrity on 06:26 - Jan 15 with 1604 viewsWhiterockin

I am more than happy with mid table mediocrity this season. With everything that has gone on for the last 6 months and with a lesser manager, we could have imploded, like many relegated teams in the past. Stabilise and rebuild is what we need to do and it won't be done in one season.
Mid table mediocrity on 06:36 - Jan 15 with 1592 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Mid table mediocrity on 22:02 - Jan 14 by dickythorpe

Happy with it ?

Not really but when the manager can't buy the players he needs due to the financial recklessness of the board it's hardly his fault is it?

Like WR says considering all that's gone one we should be grateful we're doing THIS well.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Mid table mediocrity on 07:20 - Jan 15 with 1571 viewsdickythorpe

Mid table mediocrity on 06:36 - Jan 15 by Brynmill_Jack

Not really but when the manager can't buy the players he needs due to the financial recklessness of the board it's hardly his fault is it?

Like WR says considering all that's gone one we should be grateful we're doing THIS well.

It's too easy to use the board as an excuse. The players need to be busting a gut and management need to enthuse and motivate them.
Mid table mediocrity on 07:41 - Jan 15 with 1549 views34dfgdf54

Mid table mediocrity on 07:20 - Jan 15 by dickythorpe

It's too easy to use the board as an excuse. The players need to be busting a gut and management need to enthuse and motivate them.

The effort has always been there, there are just teams better than us, and more settled in the league. Simple as that really.
Mid table mediocrity on 07:43 - Jan 15 with 1544 viewsdickythorpe

Mid table mediocrity on 07:41 - Jan 15 by 34dfgdf54

The effort has always been there, there are just teams better than us, and more settled in the league. Simple as that really.

I dont think some have given their all this season. Very inconsistent squad.
Mid table mediocrity on 08:06 - Jan 15 with 1513 viewsjasper_T

Mid table mediocrity on 06:36 - Jan 15 by Brynmill_Jack

He spent £2m on Joel Asoro it's a little bit his fault.
Mid table mediocrity on 08:09 - Jan 15 with 1512 views34dfgdf54

Mid table mediocrity on 08:06 - Jan 15 by jasper_T

He spent £2m on Joel Asoro it's a little bit his fault.

Wait and see.
Mid table mediocrity on 08:15 - Jan 15 with 1504 viewsjasper_T

Mid table mediocrity on 08:09 - Jan 15 by 34dfgdf54

Wait and see.

The thread topic is midtable mediocrity now, not long term thinking.

So spending £2m and significant wages on (what has turned out to only be) a prospect if he wants/needs players for the first team is a gaffe on his part. That was a third of his budget.
Mid table mediocrity on 09:52 - Jan 15 with 1433 views34dfgdf54

Mid table mediocrity on 08:15 - Jan 15 by jasper_T

The thread topic is midtable mediocrity now, not long term thinking.

So spending £2m and significant wages on (what has turned out to only be) a prospect if he wants/needs players for the first team is a gaffe on his part. That was a third of his budget.

But he was signed for the long term? We have three wingers who will unlikely be with us next year, so a chunk of the budget had to go on to wingers who can grow with us, Mackay and Asoro being the ones chosen.

He could turn into a £10m plus player. The kid is 19 with sides like Spurs all showing interest. He's going through a bad time at present, but thought he worked hard yesterday for what was a pretty poor u23 side, he didn't just stroll around the place like Narsingh.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 9:53]
Mid table mediocrity on 10:16 - Jan 15 with 1409 viewsjasper_T

Mid table mediocrity on 09:52 - Jan 15 by 34dfgdf54

But he was signed for the long term? We have three wingers who will unlikely be with us next year, so a chunk of the budget had to go on to wingers who can grow with us, Mackay and Asoro being the ones chosen.

He could turn into a £10m plus player. The kid is 19 with sides like Spurs all showing interest. He's going through a bad time at present, but thought he worked hard yesterday for what was a pretty poor u23 side, he didn't just stroll around the place like Narsingh.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 9:53]

That's great but if people are saying Potter can't be expected to do better this season due to lack of funds and gaps in the squad why was he making a speculative future investment with what he has? *insert metaphor about having cake and eating it too, but one option involves saving the cake for a couple of years hoping it appreciates in value*

Personally I think he was signed for the short term as much as long, but Potter & the board severely over-estimated his ability and under-estimated what we already had in the u23s that fit the same mould (James, Garrick). So he's been a big waste of limited funds.

Potter's building for the future but it's hard to do that when your prospects can't make the matchday squad and get minutes.
Mid table mediocrity on 19:15 - Jan 15 with 1266 viewsthornabyswan

Mid table mediocrity on 00:03 - Jan 15 by Treforys_Jack

If we'd beaten more teams above us we'd be higher shocker.

Yes we lost to Rotherham Ipswich and Hull as well won those 3 we would have been 9 points better off.
But I would imagine most teams pick up more points off the bottom sides than the top ones.

That's why the top sides are top and the bottom sides are struggling.

Don't need Stephen Hawkins to work that one out.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 19:19]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Mid table mediocrity on 19:38 - Jan 15 with 1229 viewsGlyn1

But it is certainly very strange that our Home and Away records are as near as damn it identical.

Home: Won 5, Drawn 3, Lost 5. Goal Difference +2.
Away: Won 5, Drawn 4, Lost 5. Goal Difference +2.

We appear to have no home advantage at all, which doesn't make much sense. Just a statistical fluke? Expect a draw on Saturday.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 19:40]

Mid table mediocrity on 06:36 - Jan 16 with 1089 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Mid table mediocrity on 10:16 - Jan 15 by jasper_T

That's great but if people are saying Potter can't be expected to do better this season due to lack of funds and gaps in the squad why was he making a speculative future investment with what he has? *insert metaphor about having cake and eating it too, but one option involves saving the cake for a couple of years hoping it appreciates in value*

Personally I think he was signed for the short term as much as long, but Potter & the board severely over-estimated his ability and under-estimated what we already had in the u23s that fit the same mould (James, Garrick). So he's been a big waste of limited funds.

Potter's building for the future but it's hard to do that when your prospects can't make the matchday squad and get minutes.

Perhaps the answer is either he wanted Asoro and funds were available and maybe the board miscalculated due to their expectations of transfer monies in for the Ayew brothers for example. When this didn't happen they may have had to go back to Potter and tell him they were experiencing unforeseen "cash flow problems".

Or - it was another dreadlock special by Huw.

I think it may be safe to say he would have preferred Ryan Woods in hindsight .
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 6:39]

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Mid table mediocrity on 07:12 - Jan 16 with 1070 viewssainthelens

Pointless stupid thread.
Mid table mediocrity on 07:20 - Jan 16 with 1060 viewsjasper_T

Mid table mediocrity on 06:36 - Jan 16 by Brynmill_Jack

Perhaps the answer is either he wanted Asoro and funds were available and maybe the board miscalculated due to their expectations of transfer monies in for the Ayew brothers for example. When this didn't happen they may have had to go back to Potter and tell him they were experiencing unforeseen "cash flow problems".

Or - it was another dreadlock special by Huw.

I think it may be safe to say he would have preferred Ryan Woods in hindsight .
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 6:39]

Woods might be stuck on the bench by now, or be keeping Grimes (who is outperforming him by virtually every metric) out of the team on reputation. Worth £7m do you think? We should be pretty happy with how that one has worked out imo.

Cheap backup/a prospect to play ahead of Fulton would have been (and still would be) welcome, but Woods wasn't that.
Mid table mediocrity on 07:24 - Jan 16 with 1057 viewsdickythorpe

Mid table mediocrity on 07:12 - Jan 16 by sainthelens

Pointless stupid thread.

I await some threads started by you eventually.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 7:25]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024