Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer 08:05 - Jan 16 with 1967 viewsdickythorpe

What is going on? Do the powers that be not think the time has come to look at this stretch?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 9:40]
2 accidents in 2 days at Henry/Penllegaer on 08:20 - Jan 16 with 1948 viewsMuteswan

First thing they’ll do is reduce it to 50mph and then the backup at Hendy will cause a lot more problems. It should have been 3 lanes right through but that’s not going to happen. I use this stretch regularly and I’m afraid to say that it’s not the road being the main problem, but the way some people drive. A few of these accidents have been single vehicles at very quiet times.
2 accidents in 2 days at Henry/Penllegaer on 09:10 - Jan 16 with 1878 viewsLeonWasGod

2 accidents in 2 days at Henry/Penllegaer on 08:20 - Jan 16 by Muteswan

First thing they’ll do is reduce it to 50mph and then the backup at Hendy will cause a lot more problems. It should have been 3 lanes right through but that’s not going to happen. I use this stretch regularly and I’m afraid to say that it’s not the road being the main problem, but the way some people drive. A few of these accidents have been single vehicles at very quiet times.

Suspect you're right, as it just looks like an ordinary stretch of dual carriageway to me (albeit a classed as a motorway).
2 accidents in 2 days at Henry/Penllegaer on 09:41 - Jan 16 with 1825 viewsMrSwerve

Driving standards are the problem. The amount of idiots that tear down that stretch doing 100mph+ is terrifying.

I don't think they'll put a 50 limit, but 60 could be possible. It would need investment/cameras etc though, which is why it won't happen.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

2 accidents in 2 days at Henry/Penllegaer on 10:03 - Jan 16 with 1791 viewscmajack

2 accidents in 2 days at Henry/Penllegaer on 09:41 - Jan 16 by MrSwerve

Driving standards are the problem. The amount of idiots that tear down that stretch doing 100mph+ is terrifying.

I don't think they'll put a 50 limit, but 60 could be possible. It would need investment/cameras etc though, which is why it won't happen.

It may happen if the powers to be think there's money to be made out of it.
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 14:29 - Jan 16 with 1656 viewsCooperman

I have part of the answer to this and I've informed SWTRA several times but to no avail - abolish the junction at Llangenech lights and force village traffic to use the roundabout further up the trunk road towards Llanelli. This would keep the lights on green for through traffic, ease congestion at the bottom of the hill and allow more time for traffic turning right when they come off J48 westbound. Unfortunately it will take a road death to happen before someone agrees to a trial and if it's a member of my family or friends involved in a smash then I'm going to prosecute for gross negligence.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 15:39 - Jan 16 with 1609 viewsGlastonbury

It’s all about the way people drive. It’s very simple to drive on the a motorway. Unless you are overtaking you simply drive in the inside lane. The outer lanes are overtaking lanes. If you find yourself in the middle or outer lane and there is no one in front of you then you simply move across to the inside lane .

When it’s raining / spraying on the motorway put ur lights on. Simple. Not sidelights as the back of these news cars lights don’t come on.
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 16:34 - Jan 16 with 1570 viewsCooperman

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 15:39 - Jan 16 by Glastonbury

It’s all about the way people drive. It’s very simple to drive on the a motorway. Unless you are overtaking you simply drive in the inside lane. The outer lanes are overtaking lanes. If you find yourself in the middle or outer lane and there is no one in front of you then you simply move across to the inside lane .

When it’s raining / spraying on the motorway put ur lights on. Simple. Not sidelights as the back of these news cars lights don’t come on.

It’s not all about the way people drive. In the case of J48 westbound there is very often queuing traffic at a standstill in the inside lane of a two lane motorway. This is not design intent for a motorway junction and has been proven to cause panic for unsuspecting drivers. Panic occasionally leads to irrational decisions and accidents.

As for side light control on new cars, this is software controlled whereby windscreen rain sensors in conjunction with wiper settings turn on lights regardless of ambient light conditions. There is a safety driven legislation that ensures new vehicles are designed to a minimum standard.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2019 16:38]

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 22:58 - Jan 17 with 1286 viewsMuteswan

Anyone caught up in this one?
Two vehicle crash near junction 41. Looks like it was a long delay.
Hope everyone is ok.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk//live-updates-m4-closed-near-15695404
Login to get fewer ads

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 23:34 - Jan 17 with 1270 viewsmajorraglan

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 14:29 - Jan 16 by Cooperman

I have part of the answer to this and I've informed SWTRA several times but to no avail - abolish the junction at Llangenech lights and force village traffic to use the roundabout further up the trunk road towards Llanelli. This would keep the lights on green for through traffic, ease congestion at the bottom of the hill and allow more time for traffic turning right when they come off J48 westbound. Unfortunately it will take a road death to happen before someone agrees to a trial and if it's a member of my family or friends involved in a smash then I'm going to prosecute for gross negligence.

The road in to and out of Scarlet City should have been built as a dual carriageway instead of the 1 lane in each direction it is. The road is carries a lot of freight and is often congested. Like a lot of our major roads it’s not fit for purpose.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2019 10:09]
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 06:18 - Jan 18 with 1212 viewsdickythorpe

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 22:58 - Jan 17 by Muteswan

Anyone caught up in this one?
Two vehicle crash near junction 41. Looks like it was a long delay.
Hope everyone is ok.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk//live-updates-m4-closed-near-15695404

Yet another accident !! A poor start to 2019
2 accidents in 2 days at Henry/Penllegaer on 11:53 - Jan 18 with 1141 viewsicecoldjack

2 accidents in 2 days at Henry/Penllegaer on 09:41 - Jan 16 by MrSwerve

Exactly right.

People are driving like idiots too fast and typing/talking/ looking at phones will listening to blasting music and adjusting the car cam and sat nav !

I know that's a sweeping generalisation but throw in poor driving skills and people with a far more selfish driving sense then it's easy to see why there are problems.

People feel far more safer with all their gadgets in their cars but it's actually getting more dangerous, concentration is a real factor IMO
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 12:12 - Jan 18 with 1122 viewsBastion_Booger

Driven the route for over 20 years and am never shocked by the sheer bellwhiffery on display, especially as mentioned previously in poor driving conditions
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 13:32 - Jan 18 with 1083 viewsGlastonbury

Once again dreadful conditions on M4 and plenty of dark cars with NO lights on. Crazy. And whilst I’m balancing my phone on my knee to type this message at 70mph people are zooming past with NO lights crazy . 😊
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 13:44 - Jan 18 with 1074 viewsGarryFunk

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 14:29 - Jan 16 by Cooperman

It also doesn't help that prior to it becoming one lane most cars coming from Hendy attempt to move over to the lefthand lane because for some reason it's frowned upon for cars to use the entire length of the two lanes and then simply MERGE.

A simple sign saying "USE BOTH LANES" would suffice and maybe take out some of the hesitance to use the entirety of both lanes.

This would then free up the eft hand lane more for M4 users leaving 48 Westbound.
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 15:18 - Jan 18 with 1050 viewsCooperman

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 13:44 - Jan 18 by GarryFunk

It also doesn't help that prior to it becoming one lane most cars coming from Hendy attempt to move over to the lefthand lane because for some reason it's frowned upon for cars to use the entire length of the two lanes and then simply MERGE.

A simple sign saying "USE BOTH LANES" would suffice and maybe take out some of the hesitance to use the entirety of both lanes.

This would then free up the eft hand lane more for M4 users leaving 48 Westbound.

That’s a very good point.

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 15:22 - Jan 18 with 1048 viewsGarryFunk

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 15:18 - Jan 18 by Cooperman

That’s a very good point.

Who do I contact to try getting this done? Carmarthen Council?
2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 15:41 - Jan 18 with 1036 viewsCooperman

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 15:22 - Jan 18 by GarryFunk

Who do I contact to try getting this done? Carmarthen Council?

Them and South Wales Trunk Road Agency.

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 15:53 - Jan 18 with 1016 viewsunion_jack

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 13:44 - Jan 18 by GarryFunk

Zip Merging is used successfully in other countries I believe. If only it was formally introduced here it would speed the roads up and decrease road rage.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

2 accidents in 2 days at Hendy/Penllegaer on 16:42 - Jan 18 with 988 viewsjack2jack

Do you know what really bugs me in all this,and has been said by others here, is that there is too much traffic on the road, yes of course there is we all know that. So if you use the M4 slips regularly you will know that traffic is on them, so why do we see time and time again folk bombing up the outside lane only to cut over three lanes to the exit, you mean to tell me they don't know they need to get off the motorway at that point, no it's all about saving time, and they don't care whether is snowing raining or what ever.
Motorways in particular are designed to exacting standards, with safety in mind, I'm not saying that they dont need money spending on them by widening or other improvements, but let's not forget, people drive cars, some good some bad, have a look at YouTube just to see what type of drivers cause all the carnage, and I'm saying here that an accident can be purely that, an accident, but why oh why don't folk drive to the conditions presented before them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024