Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny old game... 20:01 - Jan 19 with 6588 views_

I think I saw the best team we've played tonight, for the first half hour.

They literally gave us the run around

But the size on them, half of them were fatties and the other half over the hill.

They were literally spent after half time and we came right into it and scored a superb goal.

This isn't a criticism because I'm over the moon generally and with the play and second half performance but what was that formation.

Routs played up front first half, Dan James second half with McBurnie, well I'm not sure where he was supposed to be. He was certainly left wing most of the second half. There were times when we were crying out for James' pace down the flank second half but I can only think Potter thought their centre halves were big lumps and we could play in and around them and beyond.

I doubt many could say that formation worked per se but we got the all important 3 points and after some childish Jenkins out chants first half it was absolutely great the way the game ended with players and fans as one.

We've thrown away too many points this season but we're 9th and just 6 points off the play offs. That's got to be our all-out target for the rest of the season.

We're on a decent run, let's kick it on.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Funny old game... on 20:06 - Jan 19 with 4168 viewsvetchonian

So our pussy cat of a manager did ok today then?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Funny old game... on 20:11 - Jan 19 with 4107 viewsdickythorpe

Funny old game... on 20:06 - Jan 19 by vetchonian

Enjoy the moment, I sincerely hope Potter is learning.
Funny old game... on 20:13 - Jan 19 with 4098 viewsmagicdaps10

Potter got it spot against a good Sheff Utd team.

We need to push on, a few extra bodies would be nice aswell.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Funny old game... on 20:15 - Jan 19 with 4080 viewslidojack

The "front three" of McBurnie, Routs/James and Dyer seemed to be deployed to pin their centre halves back. The overload they had on the left was almost always initiated by the wide CB pushing on.

To this end it worked well and even gave us more bodies in space when we recycled possession.
Funny old game... on 20:20 - Jan 19 with 4031 viewsItchySphincter

We were very poor in the first half. Besides Fer and Celina there were too many having a bad day but James for Routledge was the right sub to kick start us. We made Sheffield Utd look very average in the end.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Funny old game... on 20:26 - Jan 19 with 3997 views_

I'm not sure. It certainly wasn't a game where you could say playing Dan James and Routs as centre forwards 'worked'

But they tired horrifically and we capitalised.

Potter today, 6/10.

Natty 9
Leroy 9
Dyer 5 generally but 10 for the goal
Van der Hoorn 9
Carter Vickers 10 consider he came on mid game, he was inch perfect

Some excellent, committed performances out there today with Connor showing at the end what it meant to us.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Funny old game... on 20:27 - Jan 19 with 3994 views_

Funny old game... on 20:13 - Jan 19 by magicdaps10

Potter got it spot against a good Sheff Utd team.

We need to push on, a few extra bodies would be nice aswell.

Strange

Funny old game... on 20:28 - Jan 19 with 3975 views_

Funny old game... on 20:15 - Jan 19 by lidojack

The "front three" of McBurnie, Routs/James and Dyer seemed to be deployed to pin their centre halves back. The overload they had on the left was almost always initiated by the wide CB pushing on.

To this end it worked well and even gave us more bodies in space when we recycled possession.

Those centre halves who spent the first half on our half way line?

Login to get fewer ads

Funny old game... on 20:32 - Jan 19 with 3923 viewslifelong

A game of two halves.
Funny old game... on 20:35 - Jan 19 with 3890 viewsUxbridge

Funny old game... on 20:15 - Jan 19 by lidojack

Seeemed a clear change in shape in the second half, with the wide players going narrower and deeper and James/McB alternating. I told my mate after 5 mins that no way that they could keep up their pressure for 90 minutes and they barely made 60, but don't underestimate the tactical changes made by Potter, they made all the difference once again.

We also look more capable of defending set pieces and the high ball than we did earlier in the season. Kudos to Potter and the squad for that too. Massive turnaround on that front.

6 points from the playoffs. Can't help feeling a couple of key additions would give us as good a shot as anyone else.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Funny old game... on 20:36 - Jan 19 with 3876 viewsTailGunner

Funny old game... on 20:32 - Jan 19 by lifelong

A game of two halves.

Weird thing was, we put DJ up top HT, Ollie wide - it confused the hell out of everyone.

But that 25 mins was the only control we had all game - we scored.

77 mins GP switched them back, then we are hanging on a bit.

Great win. Strange game indeed.
Funny old game... on 20:38 - Jan 19 with 3862 viewssainthelens

Funny old game... on 20:26 - Jan 19 by _

I'm not sure. It certainly wasn't a game where you could say playing Dan James and Routs as centre forwards 'worked'

Potter today, 6/10.

Natty 9
Leroy 9
Van der Hoorn 9

Some excellent, committed performances out there today with Connor showing at the end what it meant to us.

What's disappointing to read is the opening lines of your thread.
For me it was a fantastic win, why can't you bring yourself to congratulate the manager/player's on that result?
To have your opening gambit commenting on the opposition , you don't help yourself pal.
Funny old game... on 20:39 - Jan 19 with 3844 viewslidojack

Funny old game... on 20:28 - Jan 19 by _

Those centre halves who spent the first half on our half way line?

https://www.skysports.com/football/swansea-vs-sheff-utd/392878

Watch the highlights.

In two of their 3 chances from the first half that are shown their CB (number 6) is in the right wing position.
Funny old game... on 20:40 - Jan 19 with 3840 viewsItchySphincter

Funny old game... on 20:26 - Jan 19 by _

Potter today, 6/10.

Natty 9
Leroy 9
Van der Hoorn 9

Carter Vickers nearly scored.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Funny old game... on 20:40 - Jan 19 with 3841 viewshobo

Potter saw what needed fixing in the first half and rang the changes at HT to be rewarded with the 3 pts. Very refreshing to have a manager with vision and tactical nous, something we've been lacking since Laudrup. We'll do well to keep hold of him
Funny old game... on 20:41 - Jan 19 with 3826 views3swan

Funny old game... on 20:36 - Jan 19 by TailGunner

Weird thing was, we put DJ up top HT, Ollie wide - it confused the hell out of everyone.

Sky match summary did say it was to stop one of their 3 central defenders overlapping as they were worried about the pace.
Seemed to have worked as we were much better second half
Funny old game... on 20:46 - Jan 19 with 3783 views_

Funny old game... on 20:35 - Jan 19 by Uxbridge

Seeemed a clear change in shape in the second half, with the wide players going narrower and deeper and James/McB alternating. I told my mate after 5 mins that no way that they could keep up their pressure for 90 minutes and they barely made 60, but don't underestimate the tactical changes made by Potter, they made all the difference once again.

We also look more capable of defending set pieces and the high ball than we did earlier in the season. Kudos to Potter and the squad for that too. Massive turnaround on that front.

6 points from the playoffs. Can't help feeling a couple of key additions would give us as good a shot as anyone else.

Sorry that's not right. We had no wide man at all first half out left. That was just Connor mostly tasked with that.

So you can't go 'narrower' from non existent.

Also McBurnie second half spent a lot of time in a very wide position and Dyer also. .
The shape of the whole team certainly didn't change that much and not enough for any sort of under estimating.

The big thing that changed was them being out on their feet.

Funny old game... on 20:48 - Jan 19 with 3749 viewslifelong

Funny old game... on 20:36 - Jan 19 by TailGunner

I thought Sheffield United were excellent the first half, it was like they had an extra man on the pitch, they could have, and probably should have, been at least two goals up at half time.

The second half was like a totally different game, the pace of Dan James really rattled them, we played with more urgency and pace, it was great to watch.

Also,Some excellent goal keeping from both keepers today.
Funny old game... on 20:48 - Jan 19 with 3743 views_

Funny old game... on 20:38 - Jan 19 by sainthelens

What's disappointing to read is the opening lines of your thread.
For me it was a fantastic win, why can't you bring yourself to congratulate the manager/player's on that result?
To have your opening gambit commenting on the opposition , you don't help yourself pal.

Cool, I'm not trying to 'help' anything mate.

Just waxing lyrical about what I just watched, and enjoyed, and I did my celebrating where it mattered. For 5 mins after the final whistle

Do you post to do yourselves favours by the way? Maybe I should take this shitfest more seriously.

Funny old game... on 20:49 - Jan 19 with 3732 viewsDippy

Funny old game... on 20:48 - Jan 19 by lifelong

I thought Sheffield United were excellent the first half, it was like they had an extra man on the pitch, they could have, and probably should have, been at least two goals up at half time.

The second half was like a totally different game, the pace of Dan James really rattled them, we played with more urgency and pace, it was great to watch.

Also,Some excellent goal keeping from both keepers today.

I thought a draw would've been a fair result.. glad we got the points though

Poll: Cooper Out

Funny old game... on 20:49 - Jan 19 with 3729 viewsOldjack

Funny old game... on 20:32 - Jan 19 by lifelong

A game of two halves.

Spot on j,ust like the last one at home .The sooner Potter gets us first out of the starting blocks we might control a game for the ninety

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Funny old game... on 20:52 - Jan 19 with 3699 views_

Funny old game... on 20:39 - Jan 19 by lidojack

https://www.skysports.com/football/swansea-vs-sheff-utd/392878

Watch the highlights.

In two of their 3 chances from the first half that are shown their CB (number 6) is in the right wing position.

Maybe I've missed your meaning here

You said...

'''The "front three" of McBurnie, Routs/James and Dyer seemed to be deployed to pin their centre halves back. The overload they had on the left was almost always initiated by the wide CB pushing on. '''

Are we pinning them back or setting traps for them to come forward? But how would a front 3 do that exactly? 3 centre halves - 3 front men (of which nobody could tell first half who was more central, Routs or McBurnie)

Funny old game... on 20:55 - Jan 19 with 3672 views_

Funny old game... on 20:40 - Jan 19 by hobo

Potter saw what needed fixing in the first half and rang the changes at HT to be rewarded with the 3 pts. Very refreshing to have a manager with vision and tactical nous, something we've been lacking since Laudrup. We'll do well to keep hold of him

Swapping one nifty footed small guy for another?

What, how?

Anyway, we won. God knows what some of you watch half the time but 3 points is 3 points.

WELL DONE POTTER ❤❤❤❤❤

Funny old game... on 20:56 - Jan 19 with 3660 viewsGriffting

The first half hour shape didn’t work as we played narrow almost trying to play 3v3 with Their defence. Problem is everything was in front of them and quite static so they dealt with it easily and pushed on as a result.

We changed after that slightly with Bersant coming left and having two up top, which was a little better but was still dealt with easily enough by Shef UTD.

The second half change was the one. James’ pace and movement up top, along with the option of going in behind meant their defence had to drop back, gap between their defence and midfield got bigger and created space for us as a result.
Funny old game... on 20:56 - Jan 19 with 3656 viewsTailGunner

Funny old game... on 20:41 - Jan 19 by 3swan

Sky match summary did say it was to stop one of their 3 central defenders overlapping as they were worried about the pace.
Seemed to have worked as we were much better second half

Looking back it makes sense mate
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024