Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny old game... 20:01 - Jan 19 with 6590 views_

I think I saw the best team we've played tonight, for the first half hour.

They literally gave us the run around

But the size on them, half of them were fatties and the other half over the hill.

They were literally spent after half time and we came right into it and scored a superb goal.

This isn't a criticism because I'm over the moon generally and with the play and second half performance but what was that formation.

Routs played up front first half, Dan James second half with McBurnie, well I'm not sure where he was supposed to be. He was certainly left wing most of the second half. There were times when we were crying out for James' pace down the flank second half but I can only think Potter thought their centre halves were big lumps and we could play in and around them and beyond.

I doubt many could say that formation worked per se but we got the all important 3 points and after some childish Jenkins out chants first half it was absolutely great the way the game ended with players and fans as one.

We've thrown away too many points this season but we're 9th and just 6 points off the play offs. That's got to be our all-out target for the rest of the season.

We're on a decent run, let's kick it on.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Funny old game... on 20:57 - Jan 19 with 1397 viewsPegojack

Very, very proud of the boys today. I thought they played conservatively first half and worked hard containing very big, powerful, lively opposition.
In the second half, with the nice tactical tweak, I thought we outplayed them, scored a great goal, then really battled to survive their late Route One enslaught and take the three points. Well done everyone, but we could have spared my blood pressure by taking one of the two golden chances to go two up immediately after we took the lead.
So its a 100% record for me, we've won every game I've seen in the flesh this season!
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 20:58]
Funny old game... on 20:59 - Jan 19 with 1390 views3swan

Funny old game... on 20:56 - Jan 19 by TailGunner

Looking back it makes sense mate

Only their opinion of course, but they didn't seem to like a player with pace playing centrally against them
Funny old game... on 20:59 - Jan 19 with 1385 viewsjasper_T

Funny old game... on 20:36 - Jan 19 by TailGunner

Weird thing was, we put DJ up top HT, Ollie wide - it confused the hell out of everyone.

But that 25 mins was the only control we had all game - we scored.

77 mins GP switched them back, then we are hanging on a bit.

Great win. Strange game indeed.

They went to a back four when Madine came on, so we changed to match them up.
Funny old game... on 21:00 - Jan 19 with 1384 viewsTailGunner

Funny old game... on 20:48 - Jan 19 by lifelong

I thought Sheffield United were excellent the first half, it was like they had an extra man on the pitch, they could have, and probably should have, been at least two goals up at half time.

The second half was like a totally different game, the pace of Dan James really rattled them, we played with more urgency and pace, it was great to watch.

Also,Some excellent goal keeping from both keepers today.

I was screaming for DJ to get wide & Ollie back up top.
Perhaps regardless we beat a top 3 team. We are in a bit of a run now and although we are capable of beating or losing to anyone - we should fear nobody.

Much more exciting than the last 3 seasons. !
Funny old game... on 21:01 - Jan 19 with 1387 viewslidojack

Funny old game... on 20:52 - Jan 19 by _

Maybe I've missed your meaning here

You said...

'''The "front three" of McBurnie, Routs/James and Dyer seemed to be deployed to pin their centre halves back. The overload they had on the left was almost always initiated by the wide CB pushing on. '''

Are we pinning them back or setting traps for them to come forward? But how would a front 3 do that exactly? 3 centre halves - 3 front men (of which nobody could tell first half who was more central, Routs or McBurnie)

Keeping two/three up front meant a CB could not join the attack as they would have been left short at the back.

First half it seemed that Routledge was being asked to make runs in the central channels as well as try and get back and defend which gave the CB the licence to follow Routs and create an overload.
Second half James and McBurnie did not track back to the full back positions meaning the CBs had to stay put.
Funny old game... on 21:02 - Jan 19 with 1375 views3swan

Funny old game... on 21:00 - Jan 19 by TailGunner

I was screaming for DJ to get wide & Ollie back up top.
Perhaps regardless we beat a top 3 team. We are in a bit of a run now and although we are capable of beating or losing to anyone - we should fear nobody.

Much more exciting than the last 3 seasons. !

We are in a bit of a run now and although we are capable of beating or losing to anyone - we should fear nobody.

Does that mean nobody should fear us as well
Funny old game... on 21:04 - Jan 19 with 1361 viewsTailGunner

Funny old game... on 20:59 - Jan 19 by jasper_T

They went to a back four when Madine came on, so we changed to match them up.

The only visible switch before JF came on was Ollie & Dan. Almost immediately we surrendered control.

But Nadine coming on gave them a target which they launched to, taking our front 3 out of the game - granted.
Funny old game... on 21:06 - Jan 19 with 1344 viewsTailGunner

Funny old game... on 21:02 - Jan 19 by 3swan

We are in a bit of a run now and although we are capable of beating or losing to anyone - we should fear nobody.

Does that mean nobody should fear us as well

We'll AVE em all!
Login to get fewer ads

Funny old game... on 21:09 - Jan 19 with 1329 viewsGlastonbury

It’s all about opinions innit. Very hard to watch us this season . Bunch of kids pooled together with MVH holding the fort. Up until the last month The manager has made changes for changes sake. The players would use a particular formation on Wednesday come in on Thurs to another formation and on Friday another !! At least now we have a settled side and I think we can have a real go at the play offs. But Potter has to get some energy into this team. They were flat and lacklustre for the opening half and on another day Will be 2 down . Must be on it from the start.
Funny old game... on 21:09 - Jan 19 with 1331 views3swan

Funny old game... on 21:06 - Jan 19 by TailGunner

We'll AVE em all!

The basis is there, we just need slight improvement and consistency.
Funny old game... on 21:17 - Jan 19 with 1294 views34dfgdf54

Funny old game... on 20:11 - Jan 19 by dickythorpe

Enjoy the moment, I sincerely hope Potter is learning.

Chin up dicky boy
Funny old game... on 21:19 - Jan 19 with 1291 views34dfgdf54

[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 9:19]
Funny old game... on 21:37 - Jan 19 with 1242 viewsjasfan

Funny old game... on 20:57 - Jan 19 by Pegojack

Very, very proud of the boys today. I thought they played conservatively first half and worked hard containing very big, powerful, lively opposition.
In the second half, with the nice tactical tweak, I thought we outplayed them, scored a great goal, then really battled to survive their late Route One enslaught and take the three points. Well done everyone, but we could have spared my blood pressure by taking one of the two golden chances to go two up immediately after we took the lead.
So its a 100% record for me, we've won every game I've seen in the flesh this season!
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 20:58]

I think that's a fair summary of the game. Both the manager and the players did well today.
Funny old game... on 21:41 - Jan 19 with 1227 viewsAndy1300

Funny old game... on 20:48 - Jan 19 by lifelong

I thought Sheffield United were excellent the first half, it was like they had an extra man on the pitch, they could have, and probably should have, been at least two goals up at half time.

The second half was like a totally different game, the pace of Dan James really rattled them, we played with more urgency and pace, it was great to watch.

Also,Some excellent goal keeping from both keepers today.

That is nearly word for word the conversation me and my mate were having at the game

Number 1 team in Wales

Funny old game... on 21:48 - Jan 19 with 1208 viewsFireboy2

Funny old game... on 20:56 - Jan 19 by Griffting

The first half hour shape didn’t work as we played narrow almost trying to play 3v3 with Their defence. Problem is everything was in front of them and quite static so they dealt with it easily and pushed on as a result.

We changed after that slightly with Bersant coming left and having two up top, which was a little better but was still dealt with easily enough by Shef UTD.

The second half change was the one. James’ pace and movement up top, along with the option of going in behind meant their defence had to drop back, gap between their defence and midfield got bigger and created space for us as a result.

Couldn't have explained it better myself
Funny old game... on 22:27 - Jan 19 with 1128 viewsthornabyswan

Funny old game... on 20:06 - Jan 19 by vetchonian

So our pussy cat of a manager did ok today then?

We have a very good manager who is learning fast.
A talented group of young players.

Shame we have a board with no ambition bleeding every penny out of the club before they sell.

Plus that big nosed slimey sneak extracting every last penny after he and his fellow traitors sold us down the river.
Shame one or two can't see it.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Funny old game... on 22:55 - Jan 19 with 1091 viewsbuilthjack

Funny old game... on 20:26 - Jan 19 by _

I'm not sure. It certainly wasn't a game where you could say playing Dan James and Routs as centre forwards 'worked'

But they tired horrifically and we capitalised.

Potter today, 6/10.

Natty 9
Leroy 9
Dyer 5 generally but 10 for the goal
Van der Hoorn 9
Carter Vickers 10 consider he came on mid game, he was inch perfect

Some excellent, committed performances out there today with Connor showing at the end what it meant to us.

Carter-Vickers is a very good player. He wins most in the air and although he looks almost fat, he has a tremendous turn of pace. Reads the game well.
Met him in the car park before the game, nice fella.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Funny old game... on 23:01 - Jan 19 with 1079 views34dfgdf54

Funny old game... on 22:55 - Jan 19 by builthjack

Carter-Vickers is a very good player. He wins most in the air and although he looks almost fat, he has a tremendous turn of pace. Reads the game well.
Met him in the car park before the game, nice fella.

Better player than Rodon.

But we have to give our own minutes.
Funny old game... on 23:45 - Jan 19 with 1021 viewsDr_Winston

Whilst you have to admit that overall Potter is doing a bloody good job, I grow tired of watching the lack of "oomph" in our play.

We are capable of moving the ball incisively and at pace. Our goal today neatly demonstrates such. Question is why such occurrences are so far and between. Or why when we have a free kick on the halfway line or inside opposing territory the ball often ends up with Mulder within 2/3 passes.

We're more than half a year into GP's tenure and we still look terrified of getting both men and the ball forward at pace. I suspect we'll get there eventually, but it don't half make for a frustrating watch.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Funny old game... on 23:49 - Jan 19 with 1016 viewsLoyal

Funny old game... on 20:06 - Jan 19 by vetchonian

So our pussy cat of a manager did ok today then?

Not according some of the kiddy munchers on here.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Funny old game... on 01:10 - Jan 20 with 951 viewsswan65split

Funny old game... on 23:45 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

Whilst you have to admit that overall Potter is doing a bloody good job, I grow tired of watching the lack of "oomph" in our play.

We are capable of moving the ball incisively and at pace. Our goal today neatly demonstrates such. Question is why such occurrences are so far and between. Or why when we have a free kick on the halfway line or inside opposing territory the ball often ends up with Mulder within 2/3 passes.

We're more than half a year into GP's tenure and we still look terrified of getting both men and the ball forward at pace. I suspect we'll get there eventually, but it don't half make for a frustrating watch.

i agree with what you say, bit we must realise, its a game with 2 teams, though we and GP did well today, the 2 changes were forced, though i told friends that James would be on 2nd half, containment 1st half against a strong robust team , stun them a bit , then protect,
Funny old game... on 07:44 - Jan 20 with 883 viewsjasper_T

The problem with free kicks is the other team will get back and get organised unless we have the option to take it very quick. We can't play through brick walls, and we're not going to win our share of % balls into the mixer, so the ball goes back to our keeper and they have to come back out to press.

CCV got some almighty boos making a backpass midway through the second half to do just that. They were camped in deep, no one was open. It was the sensible thing to do.

Our goal came from having several of their players out of shape following a corner. We dominated most of the second half by opening the pitch up with James' threat in behind preventing them from being compact. It's very hard to score against a disciplined 5 man defence without creating opportunities for spaces to appear, not simply getting the ball forward quickly.
Funny old game... on 08:09 - Jan 20 with 861 viewsItchySphincter

Funny old game... on 23:01 - Jan 19 by 34dfgdf54

Better player than Rodon.

But we have to give our own minutes.

...blimey, talk about changing your tune....

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Funny old game... on 08:26 - Jan 20 with 843 views34dfgdf54

Funny old game... on 08:09 - Jan 20 by ItchySphincter

...blimey, talk about changing your tune....

When have I said different?

I rate CCV highly, not to say Rodon won’t be better, it’s early in his career and he’s progressing well, but I feel more assured when CCV is next to VDH at present.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 8:28]
Funny old game... on 08:27 - Jan 20 with 841 viewsItchySphincter

Mulder and VdH, whilst being very good at their primary task, are both lacking imagination and are very slow in getting the game moving. It's painful at times. Couple that with Naughton who is one of our most consistent players but is always likely to look backwards when taking a throw in or put safety first when in possesion and you end up with a very laboured looking side. Ollie comes so
deep looking for the ball that it takes about half an hour for him to hit the 18 yard box, I don't think it fair on our attackers tbh. They think they're drawing the attack on and creating space but it's fairly pointless unless you're going to play hoofball and all it does is create obvious panic in the ranks and end up with a crap pass into someone like Grimes who is the immediately under pressure.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024