Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny old game... 20:01 - Jan 19 with 6578 views_

I think I saw the best team we've played tonight, for the first half hour.

They literally gave us the run around

But the size on them, half of them were fatties and the other half over the hill.

They were literally spent after half time and we came right into it and scored a superb goal.

This isn't a criticism because I'm over the moon generally and with the play and second half performance but what was that formation.

Routs played up front first half, Dan James second half with McBurnie, well I'm not sure where he was supposed to be. He was certainly left wing most of the second half. There were times when we were crying out for James' pace down the flank second half but I can only think Potter thought their centre halves were big lumps and we could play in and around them and beyond.

I doubt many could say that formation worked per se but we got the all important 3 points and after some childish Jenkins out chants first half it was absolutely great the way the game ended with players and fans as one.

We've thrown away too many points this season but we're 9th and just 6 points off the play offs. That's got to be our all-out target for the rest of the season.

We're on a decent run, let's kick it on.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Funny old game... on 08:35 - Jan 20 with 971 viewsDr_Winston

Funny old game... on 08:27 - Jan 20 by ItchySphincter

Mulder and VdH, whilst being very good at their primary task, are both lacking imagination and are very slow in getting the game moving. It's painful at times. Couple that with Naughton who is one of our most consistent players but is always likely to look backwards when taking a throw in or put safety first when in possesion and you end up with a very laboured looking side. Ollie comes so
deep looking for the ball that it takes about half an hour for him to hit the 18 yard box, I don't think it fair on our attackers tbh. They think they're drawing the attack on and creating space but it's fairly pointless unless you're going to play hoofball and all it does is create obvious panic in the ranks and end up with a crap pass into someone like Grimes who is the immediately under pressure.

I don't think the likes of VdH, Mulder and Naughton are helped by the general lack of movement from other players. That's not a recent thing. We've seen it for years with throw ins. I guess it comes from having a succession of managers obsessed with shape over anything else. You'd like to think that it's something Potter is working on but progress is slow.

One of the main reasons why Dan James has been such a breath of fresh air and a pain in the arse for opposing teams despite weaknesses in his end product is that he's always on the move. Making runs and looking for space. That's something that can be coached into other players and something we need to do more often than we are.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Funny old game... on 08:37 - Jan 20 with 968 viewsItchySphincter

Funny old game... on 08:26 - Jan 20 by 34dfgdf54

When have I said different?

I rate CCV highly, not to say Rodon won’t be better, it’s early in his career and he’s progressing well, but I feel more assured when CCV is next to VDH at present.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2019 8:28]

.....beep beep beep beep.....

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Funny old game... on 08:48 - Jan 20 with 945 viewsItchySphincter

Funny old game... on 08:35 - Jan 20 by Dr_Winston

I don't think the likes of VdH, Mulder and Naughton are helped by the general lack of movement from other players. That's not a recent thing. We've seen it for years with throw ins. I guess it comes from having a succession of managers obsessed with shape over anything else. You'd like to think that it's something Potter is working on but progress is slow.

One of the main reasons why Dan James has been such a breath of fresh air and a pain in the arse for opposing teams despite weaknesses in his end product is that he's always on the move. Making runs and looking for space. That's something that can be coached into other players and something we need to do more often than we are.

Agree wholeheartedly with the lack of movement. One compounds the other.

Funny old game... on 09:20 - Jan 20 with 919 views34dfgdf54

Funny old game... on 08:37 - Jan 20 by ItchySphincter

.....beep beep beep beep.....

Oh right?

Anyways, cracking win against a very good side. Building some momentum.
Funny old game... on 09:42 - Jan 20 with 885 viewsItchySphincter

Funny old game... on 09:20 - Jan 20 by 34dfgdf54

Oh right?

Anyways, cracking win against a very good side. Building some momentum.

Yes, they looked quite tidy at times. Didn't like it when we took it to them though, flat track bullies in the image of their manager. Wish we had the balls to put in some tackles like they did though.

Funny old game... on 09:48 - Jan 20 with 870 viewsleighton1318

Funny old game... on 08:35 - Jan 20 by Dr_Winston

I agree, the defence love to pass the ball around but struggle to create anything while doing so. It just gives the oppo time to organise. The ‘pretty passing’ is meant to move the oppo around and create space but there is no hint of that happening, it feels like passing ‘because we are a passing team’.

The problem seems to be getting the ball into and through the middle third of the pitch. So,often, when it gets there the man in possession is either outnumbered and shut down, or goes for the miracle ball which doesn’t come off.

It’s not about formation or individuals, it must be about movement, plus quicker passing. Saw some of the Liverpool game later on and that was quite a good illustration.
Funny old game... on 09:58 - Jan 20 with 851 viewsicecoldjack

Funny old game... on 09:48 - Jan 20 by leighton1318

I agree, the defence love to pass the ball around but struggle to create anything while doing so. It just gives the oppo time to organise. The ‘pretty passing’ is meant to move the oppo around and create space but there is no hint of that happening, it feels like passing ‘because we are a passing team’.

The problem seems to be getting the ball into and through the middle third of the pitch. So,often, when it gets there the man in possession is either outnumbered and shut down, or goes for the miracle ball which doesn’t come off.

It’s not about formation or individuals, it must be about movement, plus quicker passing. Saw some of the Liverpool game later on and that was quite a good illustration.

Hopefully with more confidence will come more movement off the ball and the ability to take the right kind of risks with the ball.
Routs is very good at making runs off the ball so is James, it's having the convidence to play that quick pass that we lack at times.

Another aspect that will help is having a constant selection so players get to know what their team mates will do in certain game situations, to feet or spin and go long ?

Potter isn't stupid so I suspect he knows this himself, we are progressing and that's the most important thing .
Funny old game... on 17:54 - Jan 20 with 726 views_

Funny old game... on 23:49 - Jan 19 by Loyal

Not according some of the kiddy munchers on here.

What the fack does this mean??

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024