Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt 17:08 - Jan 21 with 2265 viewstheloneranger

These vandals deserve a good fvcking slap!!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/police-investigating-after-thugs-hurl-whi

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:14 - Jan 21 with 2221 viewsBrynCartwright

People who did that are just a bunch of oxygen thieving a-holes.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:51 - Jan 21 with 2201 viewsFieryJack

This is the fourth time in six years that this memorial has been attacked.

In the last three or so hours the apoplectic Tory press have referred to the vandals as brainless, senseless, thugs.

I'm not sure, strictly speaking, that any of those labels would stand up under close scrutiny. What I mean by that is that such words conjure up images of bored, teenage, estate lads committing random acts of vandalism...and that's clearly misleading. It's targeted and persistent.

Obvious that the attackers - and it could just be one person - are pretty deranged by some sort of fanatical hatred.

What do you think their motive is?
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:59 - Jan 21 with 2187 viewstheloneranger

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:51 - Jan 21 by FieryJack

In the last three or so hours the apoplectic Tory press have referred to the vandals as brainless, senseless, thugs.

I'm not sure, strictly speaking, that any of those labels would stand up under close scrutiny. What I mean by that is that such words conjure up images of bored, teenage, estate lads committing random acts of vandalism...and that's clearly misleading. It's targeted and persistent.

Obvious that the attackers - and it could just be one person - are pretty deranged by some sort of fanatical hatred.

""Islam" was sprayed on it in 2013"

"Shortly after someone daubed it with ... "Lee Rigby's killer should hang"

"In 2017, the word "Jesus" was written in large letters across the memorial's stone pillars"

[Post edited 21 Jan 2019 19:00]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 19:13 - Jan 21 with 2168 viewsFieryJack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:59 - Jan 21 by theloneranger

""Islam" was sprayed on it in 2013"

"Shortly after someone daubed it with ... "Lee Rigby's killer should hang"

"In 2017, the word "Jesus" was written in large letters across the memorial's stone pillars"

[Post edited 21 Jan 2019 19:00]

Sounds like a variety of fruitcakes with differing agendas then.

I can remember the war memorial on Swansea's sea front being sprayed with the words "Las Malvinas" in 1981/2.
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 19:44 - Jan 21 with 2119 viewsLohengrin

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:51 - Jan 21 by FieryJack

Odds on it will be the balaclava-wearing fecktards in full on tvvat mode because the monuments ‘glorify imperialism’ or because ‘Wimmin aren’t represented.’

I hope the ghosts of their grandparents come back and throttle the bastards.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 19:12]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 20:21 - Jan 21 with 2084 viewsGaryjack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 19:13 - Jan 21 by FieryJack

I can remember the war memorial on Swansea's sea front being sprayed with the words "Las Malvinas" in 1981/2.

Don't live your life in football seasons mate. It was in 1982.
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 20:22 - Jan 21 with 2080 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 19:13 - Jan 21 by FieryJack

One or two fruitcakes don't half get some attention these days.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2019 22:14]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 21:41 - Jan 21 with 2026 viewsFieryJack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 20:21 - Jan 21 by Garyjack

Don't live your life in football seasons mate. It was in 1982.

Login to get fewer ads

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 21:52 - Jan 21 with 2010 viewsFieryJack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 19:44 - Jan 21 by Lohengrin

Odds on it will be the balaclava-wearing fecktards in full on tvvat mode because the monuments ‘glorify imperialism’ or because ‘Wimmin aren’t represented.’

I hope the ghosts of their grandparents come back and throttle the bastards.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 19:12]

Ironic that Churchill is represented at the same memorial considering this:

"In his V-E Day speech, Winston Churchill, the prime minister, pointedly omitted to mention the contribution made by Bomber Command." (Telegraph)

It also (fleetingly) occurred to me that the vandals might have objected to the carpet bombing of Hamburg, Dresden etc. - but I doubt they'd know about that.

"Bomber Command veterans have complained that they have been officially overlooked, blaming government disquiet at the cost in German civilian lives caused by their raids" (Telegraph).
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 07:53 - Jan 22 with 1907 viewsAguycalledJack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 21:52 - Jan 21 by FieryJack

"In his V-E Day speech, Winston Churchill, the prime minister, pointedly omitted to mention the contribution made by Bomber Command." (Telegraph)

It also (fleetingly) occurred to me that the vandals might have objected to the carpet bombing of Hamburg, Dresden etc. - but I doubt they'd know about that.

"Bomber Command veterans have complained that they have been officially overlooked, blaming government disquiet at the cost in German civilian lives caused by their raids" (Telegraph).

Just watched a segment on Good Morning Britain. Fella was arguing that there shouldn’t be a statute remembering bomber command, as much of what they did (the bombing of civilians etc) is/was a war crime.

Having a grandfather who was an armourer in the RAF, made my blood boil.
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 08:22 - Jan 22 with 1892 viewstrampie

Read the comments to Leanne's twitter line from people to see what the respondents on the whole think of Churchill.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 11:41]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 11:22 - Jan 22 with 1827 viewscontroversial_jack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 08:22 - Jan 22 by trampie

Read the comments to Leanne's twitter line from people to see what the respondents on the whole think of Churchill.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 11:41]

He did say that " if the striking miners are hungry then we should fill their bellies full of lead"!
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 11:37 - Jan 22 with 1819 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 07:53 - Jan 22 by AguycalledJack

Just watched a segment on Good Morning Britain. Fella was arguing that there shouldn’t be a statute remembering bomber command, as much of what they did (the bombing of civilians etc) is/was a war crime.

Having a grandfather who was an armourer in the RAF, made my blood boil.

Yes, the memorial is to the 55,000 airmen who lost their lives. One of these was a friend of my father, he and my father went to school together and used to meet up on leave.
He joined up at 18 and told his mother he was still in training but on his 14th mission as a tail gunner on a Lancaster was shot down over Nuremberg the day that over 500 RAF airmen lost their lives.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/remembering-1944-nuremberg-raid.ht

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:04 - Jan 22 with 1753 viewscontroversial_jack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 11:37 - Jan 22 by JACKMANANDBOY

Yes, the memorial is to the 55,000 airmen who lost their lives. One of these was a friend of my father, he and my father went to school together and used to meet up on leave.
He joined up at 18 and told his mother he was still in training but on his 14th mission as a tail gunner on a Lancaster was shot down over Nuremberg the day that over 500 RAF airmen lost their lives.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/remembering-1944-nuremberg-raid.ht

It asks the question, was the bombing campaign worth it? Was it effective - did it meet it's aims - no pun intended, and could the resources have been better used elsewhere?
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:14 - Jan 22 with 1742 viewslondonlisa2001

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 21:52 - Jan 21 by FieryJack

The statue of Churchill and Roosevelt is in Bond Street. The bomber command memorial is in Green Park. Different parts of London. They were just both attacked in the same way.

The bomber command memorial is rather beautifully done. The majority of the funds and fundraising for it came from the rather unlikely sources of John Caudwell (the mobile phone bloke) and Robin Gibb (as in the BeeGees).

I often pass it and last summer had a look round for the first time.
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:17 - Jan 22 with 1734 viewstrampie

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:14 - Jan 22 by londonlisa2001

The statue of Churchill and Roosevelt is in Bond Street. The bomber command memorial is in Green Park. Different parts of London. They were just both attacked in the same way.

The bomber command memorial is rather beautifully done. The majority of the funds and fundraising for it came from the rather unlikely sources of John Caudwell (the mobile phone bloke) and Robin Gibb (as in the BeeGees).

I often pass it and last summer had a look round for the first time.

I wonder if someone or some group think they have a 'cause' then ?, what's the local talk up there about who might be behind it Lisa ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:23 - Jan 22 with 1731 viewslondonlisa2001

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:17 - Jan 22 by trampie

I wonder if someone or some group think they have a 'cause' then ?, what's the local talk up there about who might be behind it Lisa ?

No one has mentioned it.

Every day (pretty much) people in London are stabbed to death Trampie, or we have some nutter running around a train station with a machete. No one talks about a bit of paint on a memorial. It gets cleaned up almost instantly and we move on. Other than a vague tutting when people read about it in the Metro or the Standard, that’s it.
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:32 - Jan 22 with 1723 viewstrampie

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:23 - Jan 22 by londonlisa2001

No one has mentioned it.

Every day (pretty much) people in London are stabbed to death Trampie, or we have some nutter running around a train station with a machete. No one talks about a bit of paint on a memorial. It gets cleaned up almost instantly and we move on. Other than a vague tutting when people read about it in the Metro or the Standard, that’s it.

I understand, I still thought that there might have been a chance that the chattering classes might have mentioned it.

Big events where I am is what should a neighbour charge for the ladies of the local book clubs home made cakes when they open their gardens up to the public again this year for a charity thing and whether the hunt should be given mulled wine or not before setting off, I kid you not.

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:44 - Jan 22 with 1717 viewslondonlisa2001

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 18:32 - Jan 22 by trampie

I understand, I still thought that there might have been a chance that the chattering classes might have mentioned it.

Big events where I am is what should a neighbour charge for the ladies of the local book clubs home made cakes when they open their gardens up to the public again this year for a charity thing and whether the hunt should be given mulled wine or not before setting off, I kid you not.

Oh everyone here talks about that sort of thing. Categories for the dog show in the local park in June is a hot topic at the moment, as is the streets being cleaned less often and whether the council should cut down a tree branch that’s overhanging the road.

It’s the ‘medium sized’ stuff that’s never mentioned. The small local issues and big stuff gets talked about.
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 19:11 - Jan 22 with 1700 viewsLohengrin

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 11:22 - Jan 22 by controversial_jack

He did say that " if the striking miners are hungry then we should fill their bellies full of lead"!

No he didn’t that’s just a hoary old red-propagated myth. One of hundreds to be filed under ‘drivel.’

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 21:33 - Jan 22 with 1629 viewscontroversial_jack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 19:11 - Jan 22 by Lohengrin

No he didn’t that’s just a hoary old red-propagated myth. One of hundreds to be filed under ‘drivel.’

He did send the troops in to force them back to work.Troops don't go to a civil dispute to play nice guys
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 21:55 - Jan 22 with 1614 viewssP7qupUf

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 11:37 - Jan 22 by JACKMANANDBOY

My uncle was a tailgater on a Halifax. Shot down and killed over Amsterdam 10 days before the end of the war. He was 21. For those who have a go at bomber command , they might like to know that his grave is tended by primary school children who used to correspond with my mother. Now that she has passed they write to me. The grave is immaculately kept after all these years. It's ironic that people in this country criticise Bomber Command yet those who lived under oppressive occupation still cherish what a generation of young men gave for their liberty.
Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 21:56 - Jan 22 with 1613 viewsLord_Bony

Words fail me.

They really have no idea.

We shall never forget.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 22:08 - Jan 22 with 1593 viewslonglostjack

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 21:55 - Jan 22 by sP7qupUf

My uncle was a tailgater on a Halifax. Shot down and killed over Amsterdam 10 days before the end of the war. He was 21. For those who have a go at bomber command , they might like to know that his grave is tended by primary school children who used to correspond with my mother. Now that she has passed they write to me. The grave is immaculately kept after all these years. It's ironic that people in this country criticise Bomber Command yet those who lived under oppressive occupation still cherish what a generation of young men gave for their liberty.

I remember reading quotes from Dutch citizens in historical papers who described the sheer joy they felt during the occupation at watching bombers flying over on their way to Germany.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 22:11]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 22:21 - Jan 22 with 1580 viewsLord_Bony

Vandals deface memorial to RAF Bomber Command heroes and Churchill and Roosevelt on 22:08 - Jan 22 by longlostjack

I remember reading quotes from Dutch citizens in historical papers who described the sheer joy they felt during the occupation at watching bombers flying over on their way to Germany.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 22:11]

Yes, they did, especially after being oppressed by the SS for all those years.

Also let's not forget that towards the end of the war, Bomber Command saved the lives of many Dutch civilians through daylight food drops. Many thousands had previously starved to death.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024