Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Record Employment in the UK great news 09:58 - Jan 22 with 9240 viewspikeypaul

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46958560

Well done the Tories and just goes to show there is plenty of work for those who want it.

No doubt we will get the envious work shy lefties along trying to put a negative spin on this great achievement soon. But hey they will never change will they ?

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Record Employment in the UK great news on 15:02 - Jan 23 with 1775 viewsWingstandwood

Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:38 - Jan 23 by oh_tommy_tommy

Bravo Sir

These fackers living out of Swansea are not seeing the whole story

Exploitative use of an overseas workforce has not only driven down wages and conditions! It has also help breed the unbelievable increase in agency employers. FFS, decades back there only seemed to be The Manpower one and that only tended to be used to replace a worker on sick or some other unforeseen emergency circumstance.

Positives of EU (yes there are some) aside! There are downsides of EU membership that Margaret Thatcher would be proud of! The Tories IMO gambled on a referendum many thinking they would win with a no Brexit vote but the working class areas went into revolt, voted out and threw a spanner in the works.

Anybody who attacks me has obviously never set foot on a construction site or is a Thatcher apologist that does not even realise it.

Argus!

Record Employment in the UK great news on 15:32 - Jan 23 with 1737 viewsmajorraglan

Record Employment in the UK great news on 15:02 - Jan 23 by Wingstandwood

Exploitative use of an overseas workforce has not only driven down wages and conditions! It has also help breed the unbelievable increase in agency employers. FFS, decades back there only seemed to be The Manpower one and that only tended to be used to replace a worker on sick or some other unforeseen emergency circumstance.

Positives of EU (yes there are some) aside! There are downsides of EU membership that Margaret Thatcher would be proud of! The Tories IMO gambled on a referendum many thinking they would win with a no Brexit vote but the working class areas went into revolt, voted out and threw a spanner in the works.

Anybody who attacks me has obviously never set foot on a construction site or is a Thatcher apologist that does not even realise it.

Having read the articles in this thread its clear that there is some mileage in most of the points posters are making, but it’s not all rosey in the garden. There are tradesmen in West Wales earning between £38k and £50k per year but there also some earning a lot less just as there are agency workers coming over on zero hours contracts earning minimum wage when they get a shift. If you look at the number of jobs currently available in Carmarthenshire there aren’t many paying much more than minimum wage.

As a country we have traditionally failed to invest in high quality training and apprenticeships and we are now paying the price and unless that changes going forward we are going to pay the price. We need to make sure that work pays, as opposed to people being better off on the dole.

Edit typo.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 19:42]
Record Employment in the UK great news on 19:01 - Jan 23 with 1674 viewsWingstandwood

Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:26 - Jan 23 by Jango

So if the average is £42,000 and in some areas people earn £90,000 that means in some areas brickies are earning peanuts. Your stats also fail to mention hours worked, working away from home or not, employed or self employed etc. £42,000 for someone working 7 12s 300 miles from home is an awful wage. Foreign tradesman shouldn’t be coming anywhere near our jobs unless it’s absolutely necessary, and in the most part it’s not.

You seem very well informed? Your post carries some profound real world experiences for many it comes with real gravitas! Contractor yourself?

What turned my head in particular was the specific-unique use of contactor-speak i.e. '7 12's' reference which is indeed standard practice where individuals work for 44 hrs (84 hours in total) a week without zero overtime.

I've experienced even worse on a Bovis Lend Lease project where my Milton Keynes based agency sacked me miday for refusing to work a zero overtime 18 hour shift. I felt they'd exploited me enough what with the hours of unpaid overtime rate that I was being legally ripped off by. But hey, all that Europe offers along with all that mythical worker protection.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 20:39]

Argus!

Record Employment in the UK great news on 20:05 - Jan 23 with 1634 viewsmajorraglan

Meanwhile, there are a few nice little part time jobs out there if you have the right connections.

David Davis has picked up a role with JCB (staunch pro Brexit company) £60k for 20 hours work........... a year according to the below article.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/23/david-davis-part-time-business-

Wasn’t sure whether to put this in the Brexit thread or here as it overlaps both. Boris also on a good little number or two.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:15 - Jan 24 with 1558 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Those are not connection jobs

They are corruption jobs

“Austerity”

All in it together see

C@nts they are

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:23 - Jan 24 with 1557 viewsfelixstowe_jack

That is why Labour likes high unemployed it guarantees them millions of votes.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:33 - Jan 24 with 1552 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:23 - Jan 24 by felixstowe_jack

Fair play
You deserve a prize for something 👍🏻

Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:43 - Jan 24 with 1549 viewspikeypaul

Just like Corbyn wants nothing resolved on Brexit so he can get another go at a GE. He’s very happy to put his interests in front of the countries and most people realise this now.
That’s the reason he will never get elected plus thecstudents will not fall for his scrapping tuition charges BS next time after he admitted the day after losing in 2017 that it was just a dream.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Login to get fewer ads

Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:46 - Jan 24 with 1549 viewsLeonWasGod

Does high employment guarantee them votes? Maybe it does. The highest numbers of unemployed in the 20th Century were seen during the Tory governments of 79-97, so maybe that was a factor in Labour's huge majority in 97 and then Blair going on to be Labour's longest ever serving PM.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:57 - Jan 24 with 1546 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:43 - Jan 24 by pikeypaul

Just like Corbyn wants nothing resolved on Brexit so he can get another go at a GE. He’s very happy to put his interests in front of the countries and most people realise this now.
That’s the reason he will never get elected plus thecstudents will not fall for his scrapping tuition charges BS next time after he admitted the day after losing in 2017 that it was just a dream.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6622823/amp/Tory-chiefs-warn-Jeremy-Cor

Bring it on pixeypaul

Record Employment in the UK great news on 11:44 - Jan 24 with 1528 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:46 - Jan 24 by LeonWasGod

Does high employment guarantee them votes? Maybe it does. The highest numbers of unemployed in the 20th Century were seen during the Tory governments of 79-97, so maybe that was a factor in Labour's huge majority in 97 and then Blair going on to be Labour's longest ever serving PM.

Now we have more people in work at any time in our history and better than any previous Labour even managed in their boom years.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Record Employment in the UK great news on 12:23 - Jan 24 with 1518 viewsLeonWasGod

Record Employment in the UK great news on 11:44 - Jan 24 by felixstowe_jack

Now we have more people in work at any time in our history and better than any previous Labour even managed in their boom years.

It's good as a headline figure. We shouldn't be complacent though as there's much wrong with the employment market, as people mention on here regularly - the gig economy being one of the biggest challenges especially for youngsters.

Similarly with living standards, the recent trend and outlook for millenials aren't good https://www.ft.com/content/363af3be-1236-11e8-940e-08320fc2a277

But yeah, of course full employment is a much better place to be in than, for example, some of these southern European countries with high youth unemployment. It is a good news story, even if the figures are slightly boosted by very generous definitions of 'employment'.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 12:57 - Jan 24 with 1512 viewsJango

Record Employment in the UK great news on 19:01 - Jan 23 by Wingstandwood

You seem very well informed? Your post carries some profound real world experiences for many it comes with real gravitas! Contractor yourself?

What turned my head in particular was the specific-unique use of contactor-speak i.e. '7 12's' reference which is indeed standard practice where individuals work for 44 hrs (84 hours in total) a week without zero overtime.

I've experienced even worse on a Bovis Lend Lease project where my Milton Keynes based agency sacked me miday for refusing to work a zero overtime 18 hour shift. I felt they'd exploited me enough what with the hours of unpaid overtime rate that I was being legally ripped off by. But hey, all that Europe offers along with all that mythical worker protection.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 20:39]

Yes mate, I’ve worked all over both full time and as a contractor mainly on powers station and oil refineries. It baffles me why people who have no experience in what goes on across the country in these industries, would rather listen to newspaper reports or MPs and theirs stats on a spreadsheet than listen to men and women that see it first hand on a weekly basis. You’ll struggle find many contractors out there that voted remain and it’s not because they are racist or uneducated, it’s because freedom of movement is crippling their careers and the EU workers rights doesn’t help them in the slightest.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:19 - Jan 24 with 1497 viewsHighjack

Record Employment in the UK great news on 10:46 - Jan 24 by LeonWasGod

That and the fact that Blair was more Tory than the Tories.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:24 - Jan 24 with 1492 viewslondonlisa2001

Record Employment in the UK great news on 12:57 - Jan 24 by Jango

Yes mate, I’ve worked all over both full time and as a contractor mainly on powers station and oil refineries. It baffles me why people who have no experience in what goes on across the country in these industries, would rather listen to newspaper reports or MPs and theirs stats on a spreadsheet than listen to men and women that see it first hand on a weekly basis. You’ll struggle find many contractors out there that voted remain and it’s not because they are racist or uneducated, it’s because freedom of movement is crippling their careers and the EU workers rights doesn’t help them in the slightest.

“It baffles me why people who have no experience in what goes on across the country in these industries, would rather listen to newspaper reports or MPs and theirs stats on a spreadsheet than listen to men and women that see it first hand on a weekly basis”

And yet you’re doing exactly the same thing by thinking you know more about multi national business than the CEOs of companies like Airbus, or Sony, or Panasonic...
Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:26 - Jan 24 with 1491 viewsLeonWasGod

Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:19 - Jan 24 by Highjack

That and the fact that Blair was more Tory than the Tories.

There is that too!
Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:46 - Jan 24 with 1484 viewsBatterseajack

Record Employment in the UK great news on 12:57 - Jan 24 by Jango

If that's a dig at me, I have first hand experience of what contractors are charging for projects and the quality of work you get for that money. If your not satisfied with how that money works its way down to the guy on the tools, i suggest you start voting for parties that support workers rights. I Just come back from a site visit this morning for a new project.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:46 - Jan 24 with 1484 viewsJango

Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:24 - Jan 24 by londonlisa2001

“It baffles me why people who have no experience in what goes on across the country in these industries, would rather listen to newspaper reports or MPs and theirs stats on a spreadsheet than listen to men and women that see it first hand on a weekly basis”

And yet you’re doing exactly the same thing by thinking you know more about multi national business than the CEOs of companies like Airbus, or Sony, or Panasonic...

Where have I ever said I know better than these CEO’s? You seem to think you know better than everyone in every industry. If a company say they ‘might’ leave because of Brexit I’m more than entitled to question their motives for saying it. if They leave and rule out Brexit as a cause i take their word for it. Same if they leave and blame Brexit. Problem with you Lisa is you probably sit behind a screen all day and live it up in London, you have no clue how the rest of the country live.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 14:03]
Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:10 - Jan 24 with 1471 viewsJango

Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:46 - Jan 24 by Batterseajack

If that's a dig at me, I have first hand experience of what contractors are charging for projects and the quality of work you get for that money. If your not satisfied with how that money works its way down to the guy on the tools, i suggest you start voting for parties that support workers rights. I Just come back from a site visit this morning for a new project.

It wasn’t aimed at anyone specifically. Apologies if you think it was. I’ve never voted for tories but regardless, workers rights wouldn’t make a difference in most cases. If firms are taking on cheaper labour from abroad in the first place or paying off tradesmen once the majority of work is don’t to then bring in cheaper labour a few weeks down the line, what workers rights is gonna stop that and when it’s only a few months or weeks work what’s the point in challenging it?
Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:12 - Jan 24 with 1471 viewslondonlisa2001

Record Employment in the UK great news on 13:46 - Jan 24 by Jango

Where have I ever said I know better than these CEO’s? You seem to think you know better than everyone in every industry. If a company say they ‘might’ leave because of Brexit I’m more than entitled to question their motives for saying it. if They leave and rule out Brexit as a cause i take their word for it. Same if they leave and blame Brexit. Problem with you Lisa is you probably sit behind a screen all day and live it up in London, you have no clue how the rest of the country live.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2019 14:03]

Because they are all saying Brexit is bad for this country, and a hard Brexit or no deal Brexit will be a disaster and you’re saying they’re wrong. The Bank if England is saying it’s bad for the economy and you’re saying they’re wrong. The security services are saying a no deal Brexit will be bad for our security and you’re saying they’re wrong. The Farmers Union is say8ng a no deal Brexit will be dreadful for farmers and you’re saying they’re wrong.

As for having no clue how the rest of the country live, I was born and brought up in Swansea in a steel working family. A family who still live in Swansea.

The constant jibes about people living in London are boring. Those of us that have moved to London or anywhere else, have done so for work. Same as those who have moved to the UK from other countries for work.

I understand your point of view completely. Where I think you are fundamentally mistaken, is that you think we leave, immigration stops, and business carries on, just with British people getting paid more. That’s not what will happen. If we leave, immigrants from Spain (the biggest single source of immigration), France, Germany, Poland, other Eastern European countries may well be hugely reduced, but they’ll be replaced with people from India, or Malaysia, or the Phillippines, or any other country that we will have to give preferential access to in order to secure a trade deal with them.

Throughout our time in the Eu, we’ve had complete ability to prevent immigratiin from all non EU states. And yet we haven’t. What makes you think we’ll start now, when we’re more desperate.

If you think workers from Latvia, or Bulgaria, or Lithuania, or Poland depress wages, wait till you see what happens when they’re replaced by people from Bangladesh or India. Wait till you see what they will work for. And without the workers protections that are currently provided by the EU. As those get gradually dropped by an increasingly, permanently right wing UK government. And by UK, I mean Wales and England, because the Scots will go.

Your fate will be decided by people like Johnson and Rees Mogg. For ever. What do you think they know about the rest of the country live? I’ll give you a clue. A hell of a lot less than me. Or Batterseajack, or any others of the people that you want to mock on here for the cardinal sin of actually moving to get a job.

British business may well employ less EU citizens if we leave. They’ll be replaced with others. And the overall number of opportunities will drop anyway as companies move out. People thinking Brexit stops globalisation are wrong. We’ll just be more subject to the downsides of it than we currently are enjoying the relative security of a protectionist, hugely wealthy, trading bloc.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:20 - Jan 24 with 1461 viewsAce_Jack

but it's just scaremongering though innit. Airbus need us more than we need them.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:32 - Jan 24 with 1454 viewsJango

Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:12 - Jan 24 by londonlisa2001

Because they are all saying Brexit is bad for this country, and a hard Brexit or no deal Brexit will be a disaster and you’re saying they’re wrong. The Bank if England is saying it’s bad for the economy and you’re saying they’re wrong. The security services are saying a no deal Brexit will be bad for our security and you’re saying they’re wrong. The Farmers Union is say8ng a no deal Brexit will be dreadful for farmers and you’re saying they’re wrong.

As for having no clue how the rest of the country live, I was born and brought up in Swansea in a steel working family. A family who still live in Swansea.

The constant jibes about people living in London are boring. Those of us that have moved to London or anywhere else, have done so for work. Same as those who have moved to the UK from other countries for work.

I understand your point of view completely. Where I think you are fundamentally mistaken, is that you think we leave, immigration stops, and business carries on, just with British people getting paid more. That’s not what will happen. If we leave, immigrants from Spain (the biggest single source of immigration), France, Germany, Poland, other Eastern European countries may well be hugely reduced, but they’ll be replaced with people from India, or Malaysia, or the Phillippines, or any other country that we will have to give preferential access to in order to secure a trade deal with them.

Throughout our time in the Eu, we’ve had complete ability to prevent immigratiin from all non EU states. And yet we haven’t. What makes you think we’ll start now, when we’re more desperate.

If you think workers from Latvia, or Bulgaria, or Lithuania, or Poland depress wages, wait till you see what happens when they’re replaced by people from Bangladesh or India. Wait till you see what they will work for. And without the workers protections that are currently provided by the EU. As those get gradually dropped by an increasingly, permanently right wing UK government. And by UK, I mean Wales and England, because the Scots will go.

Your fate will be decided by people like Johnson and Rees Mogg. For ever. What do you think they know about the rest of the country live? I’ll give you a clue. A hell of a lot less than me. Or Batterseajack, or any others of the people that you want to mock on here for the cardinal sin of actually moving to get a job.

British business may well employ less EU citizens if we leave. They’ll be replaced with others. And the overall number of opportunities will drop anyway as companies move out. People thinking Brexit stops globalisation are wrong. We’ll just be more subject to the downsides of it than we currently are enjoying the relative security of a protectionist, hugely wealthy, trading bloc.

They are not all saying it. There’s many experts and business experts who believe in Brexit. I’m not saying they’re wrong, I’m saying it’s impossible to know and when you’ve got so many misleading articles and so many of these elite people with their own personal interests either in or out of the EU then it’s impossible to truly know. I’ve made my decision based on what I believes best for me and I’ll stick by it. You just seem to think you know exactly how everything’s going to pan out when it’s never happened before. As for freedom of movement from other countries, have Singapore and Japan been guaranteed freedom of movement of their people with the deals they’ve just struck with the EU?

I’ll never mock anyone for working away, I do it myself, But it seems people living the London lifestyle are truly out of touch with the rest of the uk, the ones on this forum kind of prove my point.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:34 - Jan 24 with 1452 viewsWarwickHunt

Record Employment in the UK great news on 17:21 - Jan 22 by oh_tommy_tommy

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/04/four-million-british-workers-li

Lowest pay since Victorian times

Biggest c@nts ever in government and continuously always will be

At least until your mate Jezza and his People’s Front of Islington are out of the equation...
Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:48 - Jan 24 with 1445 viewslondonlisa2001

Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:32 - Jan 24 by Jango

They are not all saying it. There’s many experts and business experts who believe in Brexit. I’m not saying they’re wrong, I’m saying it’s impossible to know and when you’ve got so many misleading articles and so many of these elite people with their own personal interests either in or out of the EU then it’s impossible to truly know. I’ve made my decision based on what I believes best for me and I’ll stick by it. You just seem to think you know exactly how everything’s going to pan out when it’s never happened before. As for freedom of movement from other countries, have Singapore and Japan been guaranteed freedom of movement of their people with the deals they’ve just struck with the EU?

I’ll never mock anyone for working away, I do it myself, But it seems people living the London lifestyle are truly out of touch with the rest of the uk, the ones on this forum kind of prove my point.

There aren’t though. That’s the point.

The bloke from Wetherspoons doesn’t count as ‘many business exoerts’.

Even those that were so in favour of it have taken to declaring ‘well we were ok in the war’, as though that’s the acceptable level of achievement. Being able to scrape by.

And there is no ‘London lifestyle’. That’s just bollox. People work or live in London because that’s where work has taken them. It’s just an easy stick to beat people with. The whole ‘you’re in a bubble’ bit. I’ve worked most of my life in industry. Not behind a screen as you so dismissively suggest. Actual industry. What would be termed heavy industry for many years. That’s why I feel I have the right to comment on what will hapoen in those industries.
Record Employment in the UK great news on 15:24 - Jan 24 with 1422 viewsHighjack

Record Employment in the UK great news on 14:20 - Jan 24 by Ace_Jack

but it's just scaremongering though innit. Airbus need us more than we need them.

Boeing are far superior anyway

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024