Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread 09:49 - Jan 27 with 8790 viewsJackfath

Looking forward to this. Wales win Friday then the tournament is theirs for the taking. Let's hope a rusty French team appear on the night.

I'm also looking forward to it as it's the time of year when people who dislike rugby tell those that do that they don't like it and nobody else does for 11 months of the year etc etc etc...

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 22:30 - Feb 1 with 1841 viewsWarwickHunt

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 22:27 - Feb 1 by monmouth

I'm actually drinking Jip as I write.

Ditto. 😂
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 23:58 - Feb 1 with 1773 viewsProfessor

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 22:30 - Feb 1 by WarwickHunt

Ditto. 😂

On the White tonight. Fantastic Hawke’s Bay Chardy from Lidl. Just finishing off with some Aussie Tempranillo from the same. Good stuff too. New World wine fair. Not as smooth as the Jip Jip, bit a nice spicy finish
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 00:33 - Feb 2 with 1759 viewsElmo

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 21:13 - Feb 1 by Professor

What a cock up. Are France the rugby equivalent of our defence of late

Uneducated post, fair play
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 02:17 - Feb 2 with 1739 viewssherpajacob

It's been a great weekend

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 02:59 - Feb 2 with 1724 viewsPozuelosSideys

Think thats the rugby equivalent of "winning ugly". Weird game, but will take the W. Job well done.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 12:42 - Feb 9 with 1538 viewssherpajacob

Just seen Nige is in charge of England v France tomorrow.

Whatever you own and whatever you can beg, borrow or steal, lump it on England.

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 14:19 - Feb 9 with 1519 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 12:42 - Feb 9 by sherpajacob

Just seen Nige is in charge of England v France tomorrow.

Whatever you own and whatever you can beg, borrow or steal, lump it on England.

They won't need his help to beat the French very comfortably.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 15:45 - Feb 9 with 1504 viewsunion_jack

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 14:19 - Feb 9 by Joe_bradshaw

They won't need his help to beat the French very comfortably.

You may have heard this before but it depends on what France turns up.

That said, very hard to disagree with you.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Login to get fewer ads

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 18:41 - Feb 9 with 1473 viewsunion_jack

How the hell do ITV get the rights to show rugby. Awful coverage.

Bit like their football coverage.

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 18:59 - Feb 9 with 1455 viewssherpajacob

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 15:45 - Feb 9 by union_jack

If France turned up with their 1977 grand slam pack and their 1987 grand slam backs, both in their prime, Nige would still find a way to shaft them.

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 15:43 - Feb 10 with 1380 viewsdickythorpe

France are a rabble.
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 15:58 - Feb 10 with 1371 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 15:45 - Feb 9 by union_jack

Apart from the first half last week they have become very consistent.

The good France haven't turned up for 80 minutes for a very long time.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:12 - Feb 10 with 1355 viewsdickythorpe

Owens gives a penalty try then refers it to the TMO!!!! WTF???

Stand by your decision mun!!!!
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:15 - Feb 10 with 1347 viewstheloneranger

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:12 - Feb 10 by dickythorpe

The touch judge called him and asked him to check if there was cover after the tackler.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:20 - Feb 10 with 1338 viewsMrSwerve

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:12 - Feb 10 by dickythorpe

Apparently you can smack someone on the back of the head and drag them by the scrum cap and not get a yellow either.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:22 - Feb 10 with 1337 viewsdickythorpe

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:15 - Feb 10 by theloneranger

The touch judge called him and asked him to check if there was cover after the tackler.

In my day a strong ref wouldn't be overrided by a touch judge.
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:56 - Feb 10 with 1324 viewsdickythorpe

What a boring last 20 mins. I thought England were ruthless?
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 17:45 - Feb 10 with 1290 viewssherpajacob

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 16:56 - Feb 10 by dickythorpe

What a boring last 20 mins. I thought England were ruthless?

O-0 second half

Nige scored 2 converted tries though.

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 09:47 - Mar 16 with 1063 viewsdickythorpe

Well here we are. Wales in pole position. I didn't think I there'd be a Grand Slam this year but Wales have been calm if not spectacular.
Under Gatland we have in the last year or two become quite steady and not panic stricken when in a tight game with 10 mins to go.
What I feel he's tried to implant in us is to be confident and stop this gallant loser tag we had. Also stop praising the opposite team to the hilt! Previous generations were beaten before kick off.
Our record against the southern hemisphere is still awful but maybe, just maybe October 2019 will see a sensation.
We've got a depth now, not a massive depth but one where we don't expect to lose if any of the regular XV are injured.

Wales 18 Ireland 8
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 09:50 - Mar 16 with 1056 viewsJackfath

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 09:47 - Mar 16 by dickythorpe

Well here we are. Wales in pole position. I didn't think I there'd be a Grand Slam this year but Wales have been calm if not spectacular.
Under Gatland we have in the last year or two become quite steady and not panic stricken when in a tight game with 10 mins to go.
What I feel he's tried to implant in us is to be confident and stop this gallant loser tag we had. Also stop praising the opposite team to the hilt! Previous generations were beaten before kick off.
Our record against the southern hemisphere is still awful but maybe, just maybe October 2019 will see a sensation.
We've got a depth now, not a massive depth but one where we don't expect to lose if any of the regular XV are injured.

Wales 18 Ireland 8

I reckon it'll be closer. 17-15. Biggar to kick the final pelanty to win it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 10:04 - Mar 16 with 1045 viewsdickythorpe

Irish fans quite confident.
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 10:05 - Mar 16 with 1044 viewsJackfath

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 10:04 - Mar 16 by dickythorpe

Irish fans quite confident.

Aren't they always?

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 10:16 - Mar 16 with 1036 viewsdickythorpe

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 10:05 - Mar 16 by Jackfath

Aren't they always?

Well they are a cheerful lot. The alcohol sales this week have been phenomenal all over Wales but Cardiff's bar and hopspitality staff have my utmost respect on what is likely to be busier than black Friday
The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 10:37 - Mar 16 with 1013 viewsunion_jack

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 09:50 - Mar 16 by Jackfath

I reckon it'll be closer. 17-15. Biggar to kick the final pelanty to win it.

God, I hope not! This will come down to who wants it more. With a passionate (hostile?) crowd behind Wales, Gatland’s last 6 Nations game (for Wales!) and the only coach to secure THREE Grand Slams, I think it’s advantage Wales. That said I don’t think I’ve seen a luckier side than Ireland over the years. They’ve certainly had their fair share of it in the past but Wales have to make sure they are better in all departments so that luck doesn’t play a part. It won’t be pretty! Nor will it be over before the final whistle. Hang on to your seats!!

Wales 18 Ireland 13

The OFFICIAL 2019 Guinness 6 Nations Thread on 11:14 - Mar 16 with 989 viewsBanosswan

Donncha O’Callaghan: Wales is rugby heaven — no wonder one player was homesick in Surrey

Welsh players are a unique breed who always peak for the biggest games in Cardiff.

There’s a slogan painted on the walls at Parc y Scarlets, “Welcome to Heart and Soul Rugby Country.” They ought to etch that in the arrivals area of Cardiff Airport too, just to make it more obvious. When you come here it’s to play a nation, not a team.

The initial plan for this column was a tactical assessment of Wales and a view on how Ireland could hurt them. Yet the more I thought about this the more I knew that to delve into game plans and counter game plans would be to miss the forest for the trees.

The truth is that Ireland, and pretty much everybody that takes a keen interest in rugby, knows what Wales are going to do. They’ll kick in behind quite a lot, they’ll tackle high and look for chokes and reefs, they’ll offload and seek to keep the ball in play. We could get a nice few boxes on the page with arrows pointing left and right. There is a time for that; it’s not now.

What Wales are going to do is not important; how they are going to do it is. To understand how Wales do it you have to understand them and their rugby culture.

No more so than Ireland, they are raised on songs and stories – yet that lore and legend leads to a certain place, to the red jersey and molten heat of Cardiff on international days.

You may think there is little room for magic in modern professional sport. Then you look at the Wales team. In every other country a good club player is an average international. In Wales, average club players become excellent internationals.

Cold logic does not always trump a belief in something higher. The examples with Wales are myriad; the latest I’ve seen is Josh Adams. I played with Josh at Worcester, a talented and prolific performer for sure. Yet that try he scored against Scotland... I just don’t believe he would have done that for Worcester. If he receives the ball in that position with his club his onboard computer tells him to stay out of touch, to win the collison, present quickly. When playing for Wales, he doesn’t entertain such mundanities.

There is one mindset: I’m going to beat this man on the outside. And off he goes and skins Blair Kinghorn in four metres of space. Rugby speak will tell you that he “backed himself” here. Sure, he did, but he also backed Wales. He’s no longer Josh Adams, a standout winger with a club towards the foot of the Gallagher Premiership. Now he’s wearing the shirt of Shane Williams and JJ Williams. In that moment he’s not thinking about them, but he knows, and it’s in the collective unconscious.

Play at the Principality Stadium and you will know all about that. When Wales are banging on the try line the noise is something you rarely experience. It is loud elsewhere but this is like the way you can tell the difference when your child is crying to raise the roof, or if there is urgent feeling behind the cry. The roar in Cardiff has an emotional timbre; it’s a primal desire from the pit of the crowd’s belly. They must crash over that line. In those moments you feel distinctly human, while trying to resist a force of nature.

Break a Welsh team down into its constituent parts and you are rarely overawed. Like most years Irish provinces are outshining the Welsh regions. Next week all of our players go back to prepare for European quarter-finals of some class. Wales won’t – this is their everything. It wouldn’t surprise me if their players wanted to stay holed up together until the World Cup.

Being in camp with the Welsh is something I’ve been lucky to experience on two Lions tours. A lot of supporters say the Welsh are the spirit of the tour; it’s the same with the players. They are different, but serious craic – once they have accepted the fact that they have to leave Wales to go on this trip that is.

For the 2005 tour, we played a warm-up match against Argentina in Cardiff. Michael Owen, the great Welsh No 8, was able to stay at home for the few days we were based in Cardiff. Then we moved to Pennyhill Park hotel, outside London, for a couple of nights before flying south.

“How are you doing?” he says to me one day. “Yeah, I’m good thanks,” I say, thinking his question a bit out of the blue. “You?”

“I’m struggling bud,” he says shaking his head. “... homesick.”

Nowadays I would be more sympathetic, and admire how someone could love their home and family so much that they didn’t want to be be away for a night. At the time I thought it was hilarious. We’d slag the Welsh players over how they’d get homesick crossing the Severn Bridge – here was more proof. How was Michael going to cope with two months in New Zealand if he couldn’t take being a few hours down the M4?

For the 2009 tour we were left waiting for the Welsh bus at Pennyhill. Ten minutes late, 20 minutes, still no sign. No one’s saying anything but you can tell lads are thinking, “Who the hell shows up late to a Lions tour?”

Thirty minutes late, in rolls the Welsh bus. It turned out they were late because Andy Powell’s mum was crying and hugging Andy so much outside the bus. “I’m so proud of you son ... I’m so proud of you.” She had also brought a load of sandwiches for the boys before their journey. As soon as you hear that you’re almost overcome with love for the Welsh; the butterflies who cannot be broken on the wheel of professionalism.

That said, who turned up on the tour? Andy Powell’s mum! The sandwiches and tears were just a ceremony to mark the leaving of Wales!

Andy was my room-mate. His reputation as a wildman is deserved. But he has also got a pure heart, he’s really quite a sweet man, in his own way. Towards the end of that tour, Jen, my wife, was over. The rules were relaxed by then and Jen stayed at the hotel. At some small hour of the morning we were startled by the sight of Andy creeping into the room. He taps Jen on the shoulder. “Jen,” he says, holding up a paper bag in the dark. “I got you a Big Mac love.”

“Oh, thanks Andy,” she says.

With that he takes off again, Jen wondering what she’s supposed to do with a cold Big Mac in the middle of the night. Next morning we woke early to the sight of Andy sprawled on the next bed, naked in a puddle of his fake tan.

The Welsh love their spray tans, or at least they did. “Look good, play good,” they’d say to sceptical team-mates. For the same reason, they liked occlusion training. Never mind the scientific benefits or absence thereof, just make those arms look more vascular!

This desire to look the part fits with their character, which thrives on confidence. Like ourselves, the Welsh can get low, but when they are up, boy are they up. Once they get on a run and have a sniff of a grand slam they are stunningly efficient at locking their jaws for the kill. Ireland, certainly in the past, could be cowed by opportunity but Wales grow into it. They will have been walking around like gods this past week, full sure they’re going to win. Stop them from winning a grand slam in Cardiff? You may as well try to shove back the tide.

What will Ireland do? What they should not do is make the mistake that we did in the past: look at their club video clips and form when compared to ours and think that we have superior players and a sophisticated plan and that will win out. Then you get hit by a wall of decibel-infused rapid-twitch red muscle. Your plan then feels incomplete. Of course, it is important to have a strategy but you must also know that it will be redundant for some of the match. These aren’t the Clark Kents you know from Ospreys and Scarlets, they’ve brought their capes for this.

To have success in Cardiff you have to go with the forces around you. When you’re caught by an ocean rip, you don’t thrash your legs against it, but let it take you and when the time is right, hit it hard. Don’t get irritated by the choir, always on your side during the warm up, nor should you let that goat bother you, if he is still on the loose. Drink in the noise and the best anthem in the history of nations. Feel the fervour of the crowd and let it fire you as it does them. Accept that they will bang on your line, and probably score at some stage. Yet despite how they may feel, Wales aren’t superheroes. They will make mistakes, and Ireland can capitalise and put their squeeze on. In this remarkable amphitheatre, the travelling fans can make a brilliant noise too.

Irish players must know that this is a huge challenge but, far more important, it’s your childhood wishes made real. To play here with a grand slam on the line is a privilege and one of the most vital experiences you could have.

I like the old stories, but I’m not much given to the nostalgia of wishing back the past. I’m happy to be a retired player. But this is one of those days I would love to be back in green, running out of the tunnel, the roar so vast you feel a physical thump at your back. Rarely can you feel so alive. As far as our sport goes, this is the still point of the spinning world, where myth and men collide. It’s our mecca, the lucid dream of anybody who’s felt their studs twist in the earth as they kick and scrap for every inch. It’s rugby heaven, breathe it deep. I understand why the Welsh boys don’t like leaving for too long.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024