Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up 20:20 - Jan 27 with 5706 viewspikeypaul

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6635785/amp/DA

History will show these anti democracy MPs up for what they are.

Very happy to get elected on the manifesto of delivering Brexit and article 50 but once elected shit on their electorate.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 20:49 - Jan 27 with 4293 viewsWxmJax

Don't all parties renege on their manifestos once elected ?
Boris (I never mentioned Turkey) Johnson, what was that figure on the side of the bus which isn't (and never was) going to happen ?

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 08:06 - Jan 28 with 4161 viewscostalotta

Yeah quite possibly.or perhaps in time the biggest con job ever will have its perpetrators remembered in a similar fashion. The future will decide that but one thing is for sure you’re an obsessive berk who needs a holiday.
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 08:38 - Jan 28 with 4125 viewsWarwickHunt

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 08:06 - Jan 28 by costalotta

Yeah quite possibly.or perhaps in time the biggest con job ever will have its perpetrators remembered in a similar fashion. The future will decide that but one thing is for sure you’re an obsessive berk who needs a holiday.

R&R after his lobotomy.
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 08:48 - Jan 28 with 4124 viewsScottishEddie

Is this why you voted remain but now are a leaver?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 8:49]

Poll: Stupidest Posterer of the Year

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 09:09 - Jan 28 with 4101 viewskarnataka

Wow, government shits on electorate shock!!
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 09:31 - Jan 28 with 4081 viewssg1912

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 20:49 - Jan 27 by WxmJax

Don't all parties renege on their manifestos once elected ?
Boris (I never mentioned Turkey) Johnson, what was that figure on the side of the bus which isn't (and never was) going to happen ?

.. the bus was actually an underestimate, it's going to be £395million according to the chancellor
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 09:51 - Jan 28 with 4060 viewswestwalesed

Reluctant to comment on anything Brexit related nowadays as when I do I get abuse, but here goes.

Whilst those of us who have always voted and been engaged in Politics have absolutely no surprise that elected Governments renege on their Manifesto commitments, there are two very different things at play with the Referendum in 2016.

Firstly, it was a Referendum. It was a binary choice. It was legislated for by Parliamentarians who realised that they were out of step with public opinion on this issue and so gave the decision to the people. The moment they did that, their job simply became to enact the decision, regardless of the outcome. I think it was 6 to 1 who voted in favour of the Referendum so the Referendum had cross bench support.

Secondly, there are millions of people who voted for the very first time in that Referendum and were engaged. They felt as though their vote had meaning for the first time. I've no idea how it will play out if that power is then taken away from them. But we have the ballot box for a reason - it's a way of settling disagreements peacefully. Beyond that, how do you settle a dispute?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 10:09 - Jan 28 with 4044 viewsLeonWasGod

Same old bollox.

'What's happening out there?' I asked. 'Where did the anger come from?' From people like you Dan, stirring up people with your bullsh*t.

E.g.
"It comes in response to men like Dominic Grieve. People who willingly embrace the title 'Honourable Member' then deceive their constituents" how's that then Dan? Any evidence? His position has always been clear to his constituents.

"agitate in direct opposition to their wishes" - his constituents in Beaconsfield voted Remain.

"and laugh in their faces while they're doing it". - Any evidence again Dan? No, thought not.
Login to get fewer ads

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 14:01 - Jan 28 with 3986 viewsAnotherJohn

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 10:09 - Jan 28 by LeonWasGod

Same old bollox.

'What's happening out there?' I asked. 'Where did the anger come from?' From people like you Dan, stirring up people with your bullsh*t.

E.g.
"It comes in response to men like Dominic Grieve. People who willingly embrace the title 'Honourable Member' then deceive their constituents" how's that then Dan? Any evidence? His position has always been clear to his constituents.

"agitate in direct opposition to their wishes" - his constituents in Beaconsfield voted Remain.

"and laugh in their faces while they're doing it". - Any evidence again Dan? No, thought not.

I thought that when Grieve squabbled with Alex Salmond in committee about the EU Referendum Bill, and said that the UK must vote as a whole and there would be no 'veto' for Scotland or Wales or N. Ireland, that he was also saying there would be no veto for MPs who disagreed with the outcome. Surely his constituents would have understood what he said in that way?

Hansard 16 Jun 2015 : Column 192

Mr Grieve: It seems to me that the question is about not lack of respect, but what decisions are taken in common and in relation to what decisions we give a veto to the different component parts. The right hon. and learned Gentleman argues–it is a perfectly persuasive argument–that there should be an effective veto in each component part. However, there is an equally perfectly valid argument that the decision is ultimately a political one for the Government and that the Government would be entitled to take a view that, in the interests of the community in its widest sense–all the component parts–they should come to a decision one way or the other, irrespective of the fact that one component part did not want that decision.

P.S. For the record:
South Bucks 78.4 % turnout. Remain 20,077 and Leave 20,647
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 14:22]
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 17:24 - Jan 28 with 3904 viewsLeonWasGod

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 14:01 - Jan 28 by AnotherJohn

I thought that when Grieve squabbled with Alex Salmond in committee about the EU Referendum Bill, and said that the UK must vote as a whole and there would be no 'veto' for Scotland or Wales or N. Ireland, that he was also saying there would be no veto for MPs who disagreed with the outcome. Surely his constituents would have understood what he said in that way?

Hansard 16 Jun 2015 : Column 192

Mr Grieve: It seems to me that the question is about not lack of respect, but what decisions are taken in common and in relation to what decisions we give a veto to the different component parts. The right hon. and learned Gentleman argues–it is a perfectly persuasive argument–that there should be an effective veto in each component part. However, there is an equally perfectly valid argument that the decision is ultimately a political one for the Government and that the Government would be entitled to take a view that, in the interests of the community in its widest sense–all the component parts–they should come to a decision one way or the other, irrespective of the fact that one component part did not want that decision.

P.S. For the record:
South Bucks 78.4 % turnout. Remain 20,077 and Leave 20,647
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 14:22]

You could argue that as a separate point. That wasn't Dan Hodges claim though - he's referring to his constituent's wishes, not those of the whole electorate.

Grieve's constituency is Beaconsfield - Remain 50.8%, Leave 49.2%. So in that regard his position is not "in direct opposition to their wishes".

I'm torn though - quite happy to support flack for a Tory, just not to side with the Mail
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 17:46 - Jan 28 with 3877 viewsAnotherJohn

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 17:24 - Jan 28 by LeonWasGod

You could argue that as a separate point. That wasn't Dan Hodges claim though - he's referring to his constituent's wishes, not those of the whole electorate.

Grieve's constituency is Beaconsfield - Remain 50.8%, Leave 49.2%. So in that regard his position is not "in direct opposition to their wishes".

I'm torn though - quite happy to support flack for a Tory, just not to side with the Mail

Obviously I was aware of Mr Grieve's constituency, which was how I was able to point to the relevant unit that voted in the EU referendum - South Bucks.

The best calculations that have been done for Parliamentary constituencies use ward level data, as for example was the case in the BBC analysis here:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/parliament-and-elections/elections-election

However many local authority areas, including Beaconsfield, did not record ward level figures, instead using a 'mini-counting model'. This means that estimates such as the one done by Chis Hanretty were done by examining the relationship between the demographic characteristics of local authorities and their referendum results, and then estimating what the results may have been within each constituency given its demographic characteristics. This builds in a big margin for error. In Beaconsfield the difference calculated between leave and remain is less than one percentage point so that is hardly set in stone. Certainly the local Conservative Association is not happy. Perhaps it is something to do with what Grieve said about the decision for the whole country lying with the Government in the wake of the referendum result. The principle that Mr Grieve laid out concerning dissenting home nations would also apply to dissenting constituencies.

P.S. edited to be more precise.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 18:26]
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 20:30 - Jan 28 with 3813 viewsKilkennyjack

So in your looney world, asking the people to vote is undemocratic ?

Warra fanny.

Beware of the Risen People

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 20:53 - Jan 28 with 3789 viewslonglostjack

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 09:51 - Jan 28 by westwalesed

Reluctant to comment on anything Brexit related nowadays as when I do I get abuse, but here goes.

Whilst those of us who have always voted and been engaged in Politics have absolutely no surprise that elected Governments renege on their Manifesto commitments, there are two very different things at play with the Referendum in 2016.

Firstly, it was a Referendum. It was a binary choice. It was legislated for by Parliamentarians who realised that they were out of step with public opinion on this issue and so gave the decision to the people. The moment they did that, their job simply became to enact the decision, regardless of the outcome. I think it was 6 to 1 who voted in favour of the Referendum so the Referendum had cross bench support.

Secondly, there are millions of people who voted for the very first time in that Referendum and were engaged. They felt as though their vote had meaning for the first time. I've no idea how it will play out if that power is then taken away from them. But we have the ballot box for a reason - it's a way of settling disagreements peacefully. Beyond that, how do you settle a dispute?

It could equally be argued that May went to the ballot box to get a mandate. She patently didn’t get that mandate. She should have respected the result and run a minority Govt that sought consensus instead of doing a dirty deal with the DUP. Tory party interests put before the national interest. The real story of Brexit.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 20:54]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 21:04 - Jan 28 with 3773 viewsLohengrin

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 20:53 - Jan 28 by longlostjack

It could equally be argued that May went to the ballot box to get a mandate. She patently didn’t get that mandate. She should have respected the result and run a minority Govt that sought consensus instead of doing a dirty deal with the DUP. Tory party interests put before the national interest. The real story of Brexit.

They all do that. The concept of ‘the nation’ is an abstract, ‘the party’ is how they pay their mortgage and meet their obligations. Like dogs they wag their tails to whoever feeds them.

If it’s martyrs and radical sacrifice you’re looking for you’re looking in the wrong place.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 22:13 - Jan 28 with 3731 viewsexiledclaseboy

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 09:31 - Jan 28 by sg1912

.. the bus was actually an underestimate, it's going to be £395million according to the chancellor

Every week?

Poll: Tory leader

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 23:05 - Jan 28 with 3694 viewsLohengrin

You disagree, Mart6? I’m hanging on your alternative thesis. Shall I hold my breath?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 09:30 - Jan 29 with 3589 viewssherpajacob

If May had won her 100+ seat majority, she would have happily thrown the DUP under a bus and hived off NI into a separate EU customs union.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 12:09 - Jan 29 with 3558 viewswestwalesed

Not related at all to the decision to hold a Referendum and therefore devolve that decision to the people.

But if you are using the GE in 2017 as an example, over 80% of the public backed the two main parties who both stated they would implement Brexit.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 12:28 - Jan 29 with 3540 viewsWarwickHunt

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 12:09 - Jan 29 by westwalesed

Not related at all to the decision to hold a Referendum and therefore devolve that decision to the people.

But if you are using the GE in 2017 as an example, over 80% of the public backed the two main parties who both stated they would implement Brexit.

Only 72% voted, dipshit.
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 13:05 - Jan 29 with 3514 viewsAnotherJohn

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 12:28 - Jan 29 by WarwickHunt

Only 72% voted, dipshit.

Turnout was 68.8% in the 2017 General Election actually, and of those casting their votes about 80% did indeed support parties whose manifestos promised to honour the referendum result. So yes, the poster you criticized made a minor error, as did you.

One wonders if standards have slipped since the BBC's affirmative action appointments policy came in.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2019 13:15]
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 13:13 - Jan 29 with 3501 viewsHighjack

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 20:30 - Jan 28 by Kilkennyjack

So in your looney world, asking the people to vote is undemocratic ?

Warra fanny.

It is undemocratic when only one result will be acknowledged.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 13:18 - Jan 29 with 3489 viewsWarwickHunt

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 13:13 - Jan 29 by Highjack

It is undemocratic when only one result will be acknowledged.

Do you still think the Maybot has a dastardly Machiavellian plan to keep us in the EU?
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 13:21 - Jan 29 with 3485 viewsWarwickHunt

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 13:05 - Jan 29 by AnotherJohn

Turnout was 68.8% in the 2017 General Election actually, and of those casting their votes about 80% did indeed support parties whose manifestos promised to honour the referendum result. So yes, the poster you criticized made a minor error, as did you.

One wonders if standards have slipped since the BBC's affirmative action appointments policy came in.

Probably. Ask someone who still works there...
Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 13:38 - Jan 29 with 3457 viewssherpajacob

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 13:05 - Jan 29 by AnotherJohn

Thresa May has said that the Tories all honoured the welsh assembly referendum result, by voting against it.

Democracy in action.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 15:00 - Jan 29 with 3415 viewsWhiterockin

Totally sums Brexit and the remoaner MPs up on 23:05 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

You disagree, Mart6? I’m hanging on your alternative thesis. Shall I hold my breath?

Mart6 has little intelligence, can't form a sentence or construct a valid argument. All he can do is click a keyboard to down arrow.

I await the inevitable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024