Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Naughton & Grimes 22:23 - Jan 29 with 1774 viewsMagic_Michu

What the hell was Potter doing!?

Naughton to centre midfield and grimes to left back.

Grimes was controlling the game and we visibly lost control as soon as Grimes went to left back. That experiment hasn’t worked!

And McKay... just F*^* Off! What a lazy tw*t! Loses the ball with his first touch and just stands there and doesn’t track back and they score. I don’t understand what he does!?!

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

Naughton & Grimes on 22:26 - Jan 29 with 1740 viewsjack2jack

I was a bit confused with that tbh, but commentary reckoned that Grimes would have been a bit more attacking to feed the winger.
Didn't work for me.May be wrong of course
Naughton & Grimes on 22:28 - Jan 29 with 1709 views34dfgdf54

Changing Grimes to left back worked a treat. Naughton gave us nothing out there and kept cutting back on his right foot, killing any momentum.

Link up play between Montero and Grimes is what got us our second.
Naughton & Grimes on 22:40 - Jan 29 with 1607 viewsJFSwan

Yes Grimes was moved to left back to be able to release Montero with a natural shape of a left footed.
Actually thought Naughton played well and slotted some lovely balls to Dan James.

But yes, Grimes was in control at the time.
Naughton & Grimes on 23:11 - Jan 29 with 1503 viewsLeonWasGod

Naughton & Grimes on 22:28 - Jan 29 by 34dfgdf54

Changing Grimes to left back worked a treat. Naughton gave us nothing out there and kept cutting back on his right foot, killing any momentum.

It did, agreed. We were much quicker moving the ball on that side after the swap, but it left a great big hole in the middle that cost us too. Basically Potter would like to play Grimes centre mid AND left back. Tricky to do though!
Naughton & Grimes on 23:25 - Jan 29 with 1450 viewsgiantstoneater

He should have brought on Briers instead of Mckay. I like to see Mcshit go back to his beloved Rangers he is yellow through and through.
Naughton & Grimes on 23:33 - Jan 29 with 1410 viewsploppy

Naughton & Grimes on 23:25 - Jan 29 by giantstoneater

He should have brought on Briers instead of Mckay. I like to see Mcshit go back to his beloved Rangers he is yellow through and through.

Not convinced. I actually think McKay has played well recently - in patches. Trouble is when he's bad he's very bad, and you don't know which one you're going to get. I think Potter was looking for McKay to provide a bit of width because it was congested in the middle. Not sure if Byers can play out wide - I see him more as a number 10. McKay's first touches were really bad, but I put that down to coming on late on a freezing cold night and trying to get up to speed. And his touch was no worse than Roberts's tonight - but he's one of ours so is above criticism.
Naughton & Grimes on 23:52 - Jan 29 with 1366 viewsLeonWasGod

Naughton & Grimes on 23:25 - Jan 29 by giantstoneater

He had Byers starting to get ready, but then he covered up and sat down again. He’d have been a better option in this game - a bit more of a presence in advanced midfield areas. Although really we shouldn’t have conceded midfield in the first place, leaving it solely to Fulton who was also trying to shake off a knock (not sure when he started struggling though). Really naive from Potter tonight. A bit over-enthusiastic imo. We had our best options on the pitch already and had control; conceding midfield and then chucking on a 3rd shortarse natural winger wasn’t his brightest plan. But I suppose at least he was trying to make something happen.
Naughton & Grimes on 00:17 - Jan 30 with 1327 viewsJackFish

Grimes to LB made sense, and it worked okay. Got him linking up with Montero. The bigger problem was Fulton playing almost as an AM, Tom Carroll would have been better there but the sub made sense at the time.
Login to get fewer ads

Naughton & Grimes on 06:55 - Jan 30 with 1129 viewskarnataka

Naughton & Grimes on 00:17 - Jan 30 by JackFish

Grimes to LB made sense, and it worked okay. Got him linking up with Montero. The bigger problem was Fulton playing almost as an AM, Tom Carroll would have been better there but the sub made sense at the time.

Grimes to LB would only have made sense if Fer had still been on. Celina was linking up well with Montero ok as he has done every time Montero has played, the goal they created for Oli's winner at Millwall being the best example. We experimented with Grimes at LB earlier in the season and it only proved what a good midfielder he is.
Naughton & Grimes on 08:45 - Jan 30 with 987 viewsjackrmee

Naughton & Grimes on 06:55 - Jan 30 by karnataka

Grimes to LB would only have made sense if Fer had still been on. Celina was linking up well with Montero ok as he has done every time Montero has played, the goal they created for Oli's winner at Millwall being the best example. We experimented with Grimes at LB earlier in the season and it only proved what a good midfielder he is.

Lets not forget that we only lost that because of a couple of bad defensive mistakes, not because the tactics were wrong. Montero made a lot of chances when he came on, probably 7 or 8 and that's due to the manager switching things around.
If we had won that game 3-1 no-one would be criticising

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Naughton & Grimes on 09:45 - Jan 30 with 921 viewskarnataka

Naughton & Grimes on 08:45 - Jan 30 by jackrmee

Lets not forget that we only lost that because of a couple of bad defensive mistakes, not because the tactics were wrong. Montero made a lot of chances when he came on, probably 7 or 8 and that's due to the manager switching things around.
If we had won that game 3-1 no-one would be criticising

Err........ We only lost that? I thought we drew. IMO we only nearly lost that because of our habit of taking our foot off the gas as soon as we're in front allowing the opposition to get into the game when they didn't look capable of doing it. Even during this unbeaten run, we did it against Gillingham, Preston, Reading and they all scored. Birmingham are better than all those and scored more. It's the one thing that's stopping us from being a much more effective side.
Naughton & Grimes on 09:48 - Jan 30 with 910 viewsjackrmee

Naughton & Grimes on 09:45 - Jan 30 by karnataka

Err........ We only lost that? I thought we drew. IMO we only nearly lost that because of our habit of taking our foot off the gas as soon as we're in front allowing the opposition to get into the game when they didn't look capable of doing it. Even during this unbeaten run, we did it against Gillingham, Preston, Reading and they all scored. Birmingham are better than all those and scored more. It's the one thing that's stopping us from being a much more effective side.

Oh yeah hahaha, still feels like a loss to me, as my bets were down also ha.
Yeah I agree we do take the foot off the gas way too often, but don't think that was the factor last night.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Naughton & Grimes on 10:41 - Jan 30 with 839 viewskarnataka

Naughton & Grimes on 09:48 - Jan 30 by jackrmee

Oh yeah hahaha, still feels like a loss to me, as my bets were down also ha.
Yeah I agree we do take the foot off the gas way too often, but don't think that was the factor last night.

Really? There were other factors yeah but I think that was the main one. First half hour we had something like 78% possession and Birmingham weren't in it until we backed off.
Naughton & Grimes on 10:44 - Jan 30 with 830 viewsjackrmee

Naughton & Grimes on 10:41 - Jan 30 by karnataka

Really? There were other factors yeah but I think that was the main one. First half hour we had something like 78% possession and Birmingham weren't in it until we backed off.

They weren't in it at all. They only had three shots on target and scored them all. 2 goals in a few minutes. They had no sustained bouts of pressure where we took our foot off the gas for a long period of time. We had 74% possession at the end

Naughton & Grimes on 10:46 - Jan 30 with 824 viewsItchySphincter

Naughton & Grimes on 22:28 - Jan 29 by 34dfgdf54

I have to check the highlights but I’m pretty sure that it was Grines winning the ball deep and bringing it out is what started the sequence which ended in the first goal too.

Grimes was a candidate for MoM last night.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Naughton & Grimes on 11:12 - Jan 30 with 799 viewsjack247

Naughton & Grimes on 10:46 - Jan 30 by ItchySphincter

I have to check the highlights but I’m pretty sure that it was Grines winning the ball deep and bringing it out is what started the sequence which ended in the first goal too.

Agree. I thought he was our best player last night.

Take nothing away from James who had a great game or McBurnie who’s had a hell of a month in front of goal.
Naughton & Grimes on 11:25 - Jan 30 with 777 viewsItchySphincter

Naughton & Grimes on 11:12 - Jan 30 by jack247

Agree. I thought he was our best player last night.

Take nothing away from James who had a great game or McBurnie who’s had a hell of a month in front of goal.

Exactly my thoughts, between the three of them.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Naughton & Grimes on 15:55 - Jan 30 with 644 viewsBadlands

In spite of James' goal (thought it was the turning point of his career from my seat - then saw the replay and it was a stunning error from the 'keeper even so well done for getting the shot off) I thought he showed he same performance as usual - looks fantastic until he has to make a pass / cross / shot.
And being ultra critical, McBurnie should once again have scored at least 2 more.
Grimes MoM all the way for me.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Naughton & Grimes on 16:53 - Jan 30 with 582 views34dfgdf54

Naughton & Grimes on 10:46 - Jan 30 by ItchySphincter

Agreed, one out of Oli, Grimes and DJ
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024