Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nissan Sunderland 18:10 - Feb 3 with 7339 viewsLohengrin

I decided to post this as a stand-alone rather than on the Brexit thread so it could attempt to reply to the comments posted by Gower, Warwick, Ebo and others who have reacted to the news of Nissan’s announcement and the point not be lost in the shuffle. You are some of this site’s brightest and best but you seem blind to what has happened here; the press, especially the pro-EU outlets seem deliberately, wilfully silent.

I’ve been waiting for the hammer to fall I was just kept guessing as to where and when for the last month. Boys, THE EU HAS CAUSED THIS. I sensed immediately what the fall-out was going to be and I was proven balefully right, up to the hilt of the dagger being plunged into the workingmans’ back.

On the 12th of December last the ink was drying in Strasbourg on the new EU-Japan Economic Parnership Agreement granting at the stroke of a pen customs-free access to the European market for goods manufactured in the orient. Within a matter of weeks we have the first announcement that new production is shifting. It’s not going from Sunderland to Frankfurt or Milan or Amiens it’s repatriating to Yokohama. How the feck could they not have seen this coming? These multinationals have sucked the public finances dry through grants, favourable rate and tax breaks and now they have been handed what they wanted all along they are upping sticks and trailing devestation in their wake.

There’s been nothing from our politicians, they are now way, way beyond useless. I’d invite you to look upon and listen to Orwell’s “rat-trap faces of bankers and the brassy laughter of stockbrokers...”

We’re being had.

[Post edited 3 Feb 2019 18:14]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Nissan Sunderland on 18:36 - Feb 3 with 3967 viewsunion_jack

Sorry Loh, but does it matter where they relocate. They’d have moved from Sunderland anyway as Nissan weren’t going to want to pay tariffs imposed by us post ‘independence’.

Or have I got it all wrong. Won’t be the first time regarding Brexit😄

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Nissan Sunderland on 18:42 - Feb 3 with 3945 viewsEbo

Post-Brexit Loh, it is going to be very difficult to secure foreign investment in a toxic economy. That won't be the EU's fault but because of "the (misguided) will of the people".

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Nissan Sunderland on 20:50 - Feb 3 with 3831 viewssherpajacob

JRM and the ERG should be celebrating this news as proof that their brexit plan is working.

Patrick Minford and the economists for free trade say the running down of the UK car industry is something that needs to happen.

I'm sure they'll all visit Sunderland to explain it personally to the locals.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Nissan Sunderland on 20:57 - Feb 3 with 3817 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 20:50 - Feb 3 by sherpajacob

JRM and the ERG should be celebrating this news as proof that their brexit plan is working.

Patrick Minford and the economists for free trade say the running down of the UK car industry is something that needs to happen.

I'm sure they'll all visit Sunderland to explain it personally to the locals.

They could, perhaps spokesmen for the ‘Stronger In’ and ‘Best for Britain’ lobby groups could travel up with them and use Venn Diagrams to illustrate how being kicked in the bollocks is of actual benefit if only there weren’t too ‘thick’ and ‘racist’ to appreciate the precision of the boot.

Nissan Sunderland on 20:58 - Feb 3 with 3804 viewsLeonWasGod

So Nissan was lying when they said the uncertainty around Brexit is a contributary factor or they don’t know their own business? They’re not alone - inward investment has slumped to lowest levels since the trough of the recession. Brexit is a component in all this, and yes I’m sure the EU-Japan FTA will be a boost to Japanese businesses; no idea on the intricacies of Nissan’s business model though.

Sadly we’re at the mercy of these big multinationals. If we change the conditions so they’re unfavourable, they’ll bugger off. What the workingman needs is some large British industries (but we’ve sold most of them) or an environment favourable to inward investment (we’ve just fecked that) or to find a new vocation (not so easy for many).

There’s worse to come.
Nissan Sunderland on 20:59 - Feb 3 with 3801 viewssherpajacob

Have Nissan made any similar announcements regarding production at their factories in Spain?

Nissan Sunderland on 21:01 - Feb 3 with 3790 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 20:59 - Feb 3 by sherpajacob

Have Nissan made any similar announcements regarding production at their factories in Spain?

Give them a chance, it’s only been a matter of weeks.

Nissan Sunderland on 21:13 - Feb 3 with 3758 viewsLeonWasGod

Nissan Sunderland on 21:01 - Feb 3 by Lohengrin

It's only the new investment so far isn't it? Aren't Sunderland retaining those models currently produced there?

It'll make it more attractive to do stuff in Japan, but surely they need a European presence due to the sheer amount of vehicles sold here.

So what we're saying here is having an FTA with Europe helps businesses in the partner country? We should try that
[Post edited 3 Feb 2019 21:16]
Login to get fewer ads

Nissan Sunderland on 21:24 - Feb 3 with 3731 viewsGowerjack

Loh

I can see your arguement and agree to an extent.

But as ever it's about profitability.

I can't believe that Nissan are going to manufacture a vehicle for the European market in Japan when it will be more profitable to make it where it's going to be sold.

More likely the EU offered Nissan financial benefit to produce the car in the EU rather than a non member state like us as part of the negotiations.

Anyway it's nowt to do with brexit anyway according to Mr Rees Mogg it's down to the companies "corporate governance problems"...

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Nissan Sunderland on 21:36 - Feb 3 with 3698 viewssherpajacob

To be honest I think the "Nissan letter" made all sort of promises such as access to SM and CU that were made simply to buy May more time. Well her time has run out and she and the brexiteers have made too many contradictory promises to too many people.

Nissan are rightly pissed off if they've been lied to, but are too polite to make it public.

Nissan Sunderland on 21:42 - Feb 3 with 3684 viewssherpajacob

Nissan Sunderland on 21:01 - Feb 3 by Lohengrin

When do you think it will happen?

Like you said the ink is barely dry, yet they've announced it for Sunderland.

If you are correct, Spain will shortly follow.

Nissan Sunderland on 21:46 - Feb 3 with 3669 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 21:24 - Feb 3 by Gowerjack

Loh

I can see your arguement and agree to an extent.

But as ever it's about profitability.

I can't believe that Nissan are going to manufacture a vehicle for the European market in Japan when it will be more profitable to make it where it's going to be sold.

More likely the EU offered Nissan financial benefit to produce the car in the EU rather than a non member state like us as part of the negotiations.

Anyway it's nowt to do with brexit anyway according to Mr Rees Mogg it's down to the companies "corporate governance problems"...

” I can't believe that Nissan are going to manufacture a vehicle for the European market in Japan when it will be more profitable to make it where it's going to be sold.

More likely the EU offered Nissan financial benefit to produce the car in the EU rather than a non member state like us as part of the negotiations.”

Sorry to play the role of Jeremiah, Gwyr, but it’s everything I saw coming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47107561

Nissan Sunderland on 21:51 - Feb 3 with 3657 viewsLohengrin

Nissan Sunderland on 21:42 - Feb 3 by sherpajacob

When do you think it will happen?

Like you said the ink is barely dry, yet they've announced it for Sunderland.

If you are correct, Spain will shortly follow.

What do they produce in their Spanish facilities, do you know? If you do how much life is left in the projected production run?

You and I aren’t going anywhere. Let’s both sit here waiting on the news of a new Iberian project launch. I’ll bring the flask, you bring the sandwiches, I’ve got a feeling we’ll be a while.

Nissan Sunderland on 22:25 - Feb 3 with 3601 viewsmajorraglan

The Japanese are very patriotic people, now that they have access to the EU via a trade deal I suspect a lot of their industry is going to be returning back to Japan. A big draw for them originally coming here was to gain access to the European market, this could now mark a further reduction in British/EU manufacturing.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2019 22:42]
Nissan Sunderland on 22:38 - Feb 3 with 3587 viewslonglostjack

I think you make a fair point. The signing of a FTA with Japan diminishes the need to have the UK as a location to enter the European market. To what extent I’m not sure. It also highlights the folly of the naive free market purist’s mantra that the “nationality” of a company is unimportant.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Nissan Sunderland on 23:23 - Feb 3 with 3536 viewsCooperman

Nissan Sunderland on 21:51 - Feb 3 by Lohengrin

What do they produce in their Spanish facilities, do you know? If you do how much life is left in the projected production run?

You and I aren’t going anywhere. Let’s both sit here waiting on the news of a new Iberian project launch. I’ll bring the flask, you bring the sandwiches, I’ve got a feeling we’ll be a while.

They have just pulled the plug on the Pulsar but that is due to poor sales generally rather than a Brexit issue.

That leaves the primary production vehicle as a joint venture between Daimler, Renault and Nissan which they badge as the Navarra.

The facility in Barcelona has considerable spare capacity.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Nissan Sunderland on 23:23 - Feb 3 with 3535 viewsHighjack

Nissan Sunderland on 18:36 - Feb 3 by union_jack

Sorry Loh, but does it matter where they relocate. They’d have moved from Sunderland anyway as Nissan weren’t going to want to pay tariffs imposed by us post ‘independence’.

Or have I got it all wrong. Won’t be the first time regarding Brexit😄

The tariffs would be imposed by the EU, not us.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Nissan Sunderland on 10:04 - Feb 4 with 3377 viewsunion_jack

Nissan Sunderland on 23:23 - Feb 3 by Highjack

Yes, of course.

I would have thought though that if Europe is a big market for Nissan that they’d stay in Europe to manufacture rather than go back to Japan. The facilities and workforce are here and I’d have thought that shipping cars half way across the world would be a huge in-going cost.

Nissan Sunderland on 10:23 - Feb 4 with 3363 viewsBatterseajack

This Nissan thing is not an isolated event, investment in the entire UK car industry has halved since the Brexit vote. Manufacturers are pumping less investment money as there is a real threat that we could end up with a no deal Brexit. You could just say this is just uncertainty that industry hates, but the uncertainty involves options that would be disastrous to these companies.

Tariffs on car exports to the EU is one reason, But the industry is geared up for life inside the customs union and single market. Car assembly lines rely on parts and components arriving from the EU arriving just in time. They don't have the means of storing large volumes of stuff and any border hold ups would costs a fortune if the assembly lines had to stop.

I honestly don't understand how people can;t see what a big issue that is.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/06/26/news/economy/brexit-uk-car-manufacturing-bmw/in
Nissan Sunderland on 10:27 - Feb 4 with 3354 viewsBatterseajack

Nissan Sunderland on 23:23 - Feb 3 by Highjack

We have to impose tariffs of our own for imports. If we decide to cut tariffs to 0% for the EU, we have to do it for the rest of the world.
Nissan Sunderland on 10:36 - Feb 4 with 3346 viewsHighjack

Nissan Sunderland on 10:04 - Feb 4 by union_jack

Yes, of course.

I would have thought though that if Europe is a big market for Nissan that they’d stay in Europe to manufacture rather than go back to Japan. The facilities and workforce are here and I’d have thought that shipping cars half way across the world would be a huge in-going cost.

Yes and by moving out of the U.K. it’s going to be more difficult to sell their shitty little hatchbacks here, and if there’s one thing Britain loves to buy its shitty little hatchbacks.

On another note which is vaguely related to the OP’s, how the hell did we get to the stage where these companies feel so entitled as to think they are doing us a favour by being here? That they can demand certain concessions and grants and special favours off our government that smaller businesses can’t get? That they can use the threat of jobs and up and leave as a blackmail tool if they don’t get exactly what they want? They make countless billions for their shareholders while their workers are on poor pay with the sword of Damocles constantly dangling over them.

It’s just utterly shit.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Nissan Sunderland on 10:53 - Feb 4 with 3318 viewsunion_jack

Nissan Sunderland on 10:36 - Feb 4 by Highjack

Yes and by moving out of the U.K. it’s going to be more difficult to sell their shitty little hatchbacks here, and if there’s one thing Britain loves to buy its shitty little hatchbacks.

On another note which is vaguely related to the OP’s, how the hell did we get to the stage where these companies feel so entitled as to think they are doing us a favour by being here? That they can demand certain concessions and grants and special favours off our government that smaller businesses can’t get? That they can use the threat of jobs and up and leave as a blackmail tool if they don’t get exactly what they want? They make countless billions for their shareholders while their workers are on poor pay with the sword of Damocles constantly dangling over them.

It’s just utterly shit.

You answered your own question in the same paragraph.

Large scale businesses bring lots of jobs. Makes headlines. Politicians look good.

I worked for the WDA in the days and it was committed to SMEs as well as large companies. When WAG took over, SMEs didn’t get a look in because politicians couldn’t make hay out of it. Absolutely stank in my opinion. Horrible organisation headed up by some equally horrible people.

Nissan Sunderland on 12:12 - Feb 4 with 3269 viewsDyfnant

Simple really though, don’t make it here can’t sell it here. Obviously a reduction in consumer choice but the market here’s huge

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Nissan Sunderland on 12:18 - Feb 4 with 3263 viewsBatterseajack

Nissan Sunderland on 12:12 - Feb 4 by Dyfnant

Simple really though, don’t make it here can’t sell it here. Obviously a reduction in consumer choice but the market here’s huge

So your simple solution is to stop Nissans being sold here? So how will you do that then?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2019 13:59]
Nissan Sunderland on 13:38 - Feb 4 with 3192 viewswestside

tweet from Leave Eu

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/hard-brexiteer-tweet-nissan-x-13950512
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024